Hello I’m a lorry driver over thirty years I’ve done all sorts of haulage jobs but never livestock which is

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
PrinceWay

Hello I’m a lorry driver over thirty years I’ve done all sorts of haulage jobs but never livestock which is

Post by PrinceWay »

Hello I’m a lorry driver over thirty years I’ve done all sorts of haulage jobs but never livestock which is interesting me now I’m looking for info on what the job entails and the experience needed to possibly find myself getting into doing this work thanks..
EEvans

Re: Hello I’m a lorry driver over thirty years I’ve done all sorts of haulage jobs but never livestock which is

Post by EEvans »

Maybe find a local livestock haulier who you could go out with and learn the job. It’s not an easy job to do, as you got to be a good driver a good herdsman and good with paperwork.
NeiMo

Re: Hello I’m a lorry driver over thirty years I’ve done all sorts of haulage jobs but never livestock which is

Post by NeiMo »

It’s not for the faint hearted. Most big companies have lifting deckers now so not much crawling about in sh*t. But still many older trailers about. Need to be fit. Never trust an animal . Even if the farmers says oh it’s lovely. Usually means it’s a dick of a thing. Always have an escape route don’t corner your self in. As regards to the livestock transportation certificate it’s an easy enough task. Common sense you should be ok.
Stevento

Post by Stevento »

Be prepared for being out in all weather's getting covered in water, straw, sawdust, sh*t, piss and whatever else might be in the area. If you get on well you'll never find a better job. Plenty of early mornings and late nights and working most days. Not very often you'll have bank holidays or a full weekend off. Best job in the world though👌
Iantino

Post by Iantino »

The old saying was you can make a stockman into a driver alot harder to make a driver into a stockman
Tubbyer

Post by Tubbyer »

Iantino wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:18 am The old saying was you can make a stockman into a driver alot harder to make a driver into a stockman
very well said
Webbro

Post by Webbro »

Hi PrinceWay what part of the UK are you in? If you are near Hereford you are more than welcome to spend a day with me. I transport mainly cattle (fat ones for slaughter plus stores from markets an farms) some sheep. It's a great job but as already mentioned not everyone's cup of tea. Need to be confident (and cautious) with big heavy and strong cattle plus fit. I believe (although not certain) more people are killed by cattle a year than any predator.
PrinceWay

Post by PrinceWay »

Webbro wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:22 am Hi PrinceWay what part of the UK are you in? If you are near Hereford you are more than welcome to spend a day with me. I transport mainly cattle (fat ones for slaughter plus stores from markets an farms) some sheep. It's a great job but as already mentioned not everyone's cup of tea. Need to be confident (and cautious) with big heavy and strong cattle plus fit. I believe (although not certain) more people are killed by cattle a year than any predator.
thanks for the offer I would of definitely taken you up on spending a day with you but unfortunately I live in Macclesfield Cheshire. I’ve been working at the same company 12 years a well known tanker firm from derbyshire, I do like the job but I’m pulled towards livestock haulage.
Jeakinfo

Post by Jeakinfo »

Not a lorry man, but I've done a few years lugging in a tractor and box, and it helps a lot knowing how to handle stock on farm as well as moving them round. so my advice would be to find a farm that move their own stock about and start that was
Barberce

Post by Barberce »

Well, I came into this game from removals and general haulage. Company paid for my ticket and trained me up. This job can be as easy or as hard as you want to make it. Get a good teacher and you'll be given the best basic start. Like it's already been said, never trust the animals. Watch them and learn how they behave, over time it'll become instinct. Always work with the farmer, they know their farms and can be very knowledgeable. Learn the trailer, it'll be your friend. It'll also help when things stop working at 4am on a cold winter morning! Familiarize yourself with the toolbox, it'll be most useful. Don't be afraid to ask questions as we all have loads of experience. At the end of the day this job is demanding but bloody good fun.
Jammer18

Post by Jammer18 »

Best advice don’t go near pigs! They can be cunts to load. Use to have to push 200+ on regular even a bit of electric wouldn’t move them
Alanex

Post by Alanex »

You'll use your headlights lots.... You'll sleep in daylight lots
You'll get wet lots
You'll stink lots
You'll play with hosepipes lots
You'll either hate it or love it
But I will say this.... You will never ever experience the camaraderie shown by livestock drivers in any other section of road transport
Chrisoca

Post by Chrisoca »

When i passed my class 1 back in the day my first job to take artic to Scotland pick load old yews (sheep) bring back to ridings Derbyshire for slaughter. Did not have a glue how to load them (never done before) worst thing was i was told 2 am to look for old bloke down windy lane well i eventually found him followed him to big holding pens reversed up then i said do they all just go on together. He went mad shouting swearing 🤬 but when he calmed dow shown me how load small lighter ones top deck big to bottom plus so many in each section. Good old bloke in the end i was late back to slaughter house so got moaned at again that was my first and last time doing that lot harder than you think

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”