Does anybody know of anywhere that would be willing to give a newly qualified class 1 driver a chance in the

Ads by truck drivers looking for work
Laurenda

Does anybody know of anywhere that would be willing to give a newly qualified class 1 driver a chance in the

Post by Laurenda »

Does anybody know of anywhere that would be willing to give a newly qualified class 1 driver a chance in the Shropshire area please? My husband has recently qualified and my work are now making me redundant so could really do with finding him some work 😬 any help would be appreciated as so far all recruitment agencies he's spoken to have said no chance without experience but I just don't understand how you get experience without someone being willing to give you a chance to begin with 😫 thanks all!
Alectiso

Re: Does anybody know of anywhere that would be willing to give a newly qualified class 1 driver a chance in the

Post by Alectiso »

In all fairness he has more chance driving around the small firms face to face or phoning larger firms and asking to speak directly with transport…indeed and the likes get that many responses ya pi55ing in the wind.
Good luck to him
Laurenda

Re: Does anybody know of anywhere that would be willing to give a newly qualified class 1 driver a chance in the

Post by Laurenda »

Alectiso wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:58 pm In all fairness he has more chance driving around the small firms face to face or phoning larger firms and asking to speak directly with transport…indeed and the likes get that many responses ya pi55ing in the wind.
Good luck to him
thank you, appreciate the advice. Think it will be a case of driving around asking anyone who'll listen 🙈
Alectiso

Post by Alectiso »

Laurenda wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:58 pm
Alectiso wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:58 pm In all fairness he has more chance driving around the small firms face to face or phoning larger firms and asking to speak directly with transport…indeed and the likes get that many responses ya pi55ing in the wind.
Good luck to him
thank you, appreciate the advice. Think it will be a case of driving around asking anyone who'll listen 🙈
most firms will…shows he’s willing.
Even down to chucking a free shift in to show ya can do the job works wonders…think I did a weekend for nothing when I first started to get a foot in the door, not the end of the world.
Laurenda

Post by Laurenda »

Alectiso wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:59 pm
Laurenda wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:58 pm
Good luck to him
most firms will…shows he’s willing.
Even down to chucking a free shift in to show ya can do the job works wonders…think I did a weekend for nothing when I first started to get a foot in the door, not the end of the world.
Oh that's great advise actually! Hadn't thought of that, absolutely not the end of the world if it helps get him into a job, thank you!
Macintic

Post by Macintic »

Try Edwards transport or Shropshire express, or Williams transport, may take on new passes but it's worth a shot.
Laurenda

Post by Laurenda »

Macintic wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:00 pm Try Edwards transport or Shropshire express, or Williams transport, may take on new passes but it's worth a shot.
thank you! I'd not heard of these so will give them a ring tomorrow.
Macintic

Post by Macintic »

Laurenda wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:00 pm
Macintic wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:00 pm Try Edwards transport or Shropshire express, or Williams transport, may take on new passes but it's worth a shot.
thank you! I'd not heard of these so will give them a ring tomorrow.
no problem and good luck
Chrisoca

Post by Chrisoca »

Agencies are where you go with no experience. A lot say 12m on license so you shelve driving for 12m as apparently they much prefer you to have forgotten what you learned than be fresh with it and ready to make it stick.
Laurenda

Post by Laurenda »

Chrisoca wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:01 pm Agencies are where you go with no experience. A lot say 12m on license so you shelve driving for 12m as apparently they much prefer you to have forgotten what you learned than be fresh with it and ready to make it stick.
that's what I had thought, go with an agency, do whatever you have to for a year or so to get the experience and then move on.. but after speaking to as many as we could find apparently even they won't touch you. Absolute madness after how much you spend getting your license and all of the hoops you have to jump through to get it 🤦🏻‍♀️
Chrisoca

Post by Chrisoca »

Laurenda wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:01 pm
Chrisoca wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:01 pm Agencies are where you go with no experience. A lot say 12m on license so you shelve driving for 12m as apparently they much prefer you to have forgotten what you learned than be fresh with it and ready to make it stick.
that's what I had thought, go with an agency, do whatever you have to for a year or so to get the experience and then move on.. but after speaking to as many as we could find apparently even they won't touch you. Absolute madness after how much you spend getting your license and all of the hoops you have to jump through to get it 🤦🏻‍♀️
Had the same for my first year. Some will, though. Others have insurance policy issues.
Had a few tell me "When you hit 1 year post test, we can use you" - and did. Did an induction via email then walked into a transport office and had a set of keys handed to me as well as a postcode "Grab an empty trailer and take it there. They'll tell you which trailer to pick up"
Local shit agencies might be the best option as they don't self insure. Money will be crap, but a few weeks doing it for real makes going direct to local firms much easier as an active driver vs a fresh pass who has never driven one without an instructor.
Garrancy

Post by Garrancy »

Try pentons haulage. Always willing to give drivers a chance
Meyricko

Post by Meyricko »

Try Dale Brothers in Telford.
Drewinfo

Post by Drewinfo »

Penton or try the smaller firms. Also hit the quarries- as Shropshire is well blest in that department. You could be more specific area wise - as its a long way from say Market Drayton to Ludlow.
Laurenda

Post by Laurenda »

Drewinfo wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:05 pm Penton or try the smaller firms. Also hit the quarries- as Shropshire is well blest in that department. You could be more specific area wise - as its a long way from say Market Drayton to Ludlow.
we're in Shrewsbury but happy to travel if needs be. thank you so much for the suggestions
Peteener

Post by Peteener »

He could also try class 2, get a foot in the door that way, .... Good luck.
Nathan4ce

Post by Nathan4ce »

maybe find a place before you get the training..
Laurenda

Post by Laurenda »

Nathan4ce wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:06 pm maybe find a place before you get the training..
yeah because I'm sure the places that aren't entertaining newly qualified drivers would bother to take the time to have a conversation with somebody that hasn't bothered to start their train yet 👌 great advice 👍
Nathan4ce

Post by Nathan4ce »

Laurenda wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:07 pm
Nathan4ce wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:06 pm maybe find a place before you get the training..
yeah because I'm sure the places that aren't entertaining newly qualified drivers would bother to take the time to have a conversation with somebody that hasn't bothered to start their train yet 👌 great advice 👍
I found a local firm, paid for the licence. Now have a job.
If nothings local save yourself a few grand 👌 👍
Laurenda

Post by Laurenda »

Nathan4ce wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:08 pm
Laurenda wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:07 pm
I found a local firm, paid for the licence. Now have a job.
If nothings local save yourself a few grand 👌 👍
I have had a look at the group but no posts were in our area so thought it was worth asking in case anybody could suggest local companies that we hadn't thought of.
Anthone60

Post by Anthone60 »

There are very few companies that will start a new driver. Akw are one that does. They are based Trafford park Manchester but have a depot in Birmingham
Lockettix

Post by Lockettix »

You have no chance this time of year, i haven't had any work in 3 weeks and I've been doing it years, and every company I've called direct all tell me same thing, they're quiet and not taking anyone on
McGuiron

Post by McGuiron »

The big firms take on new passes as they send them out for a week with a buddy first or the driver trainer. Not sure of any local to you but look for the big companies
Malleyep

Post by Malleyep »

Try Ningbo at Wrexham (A525 from Whitchurch to Wrexham. Its not far from you at all). They have a history of starting new drivers.

Return to “HGV truck drivers looking for work | Employment wanted”