Hi all got my class 1 booked for next month. I've been looking at jobs online and a lot of them are up to 12 hour

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Zaky117

Hi all got my class 1 booked for next month. I've been looking at jobs online and a lot of them are up to 12 hour

Post by Zaky117 »

Hi all got my class 1 booked for next month. I've been looking at jobs online and a lot of them are up to 12 hour shifts. How would that work when the limit is only 10 hrs. twice a week and 9 the other days. Also with the 90 hours fortnightly limit? Or is that just the driving time limit, i.e. I could spend a hour or 2 doing other work? Thanks people
Jackon

Re: Hi all got my class 1 booked for next month. I've been looking at jobs online and a lot of them are up to 12 hour

Post by Jackon »

That is driving limit. You could be working 15 hour days
Zaky117

Re: Hi all got my class 1 booked for next month. I've been looking at jobs online and a lot of them are up to 12 hour

Post by Zaky117 »

Jackon wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:21 pm That is driving limit. You could be working 15 hour days
oh OK so I could max my driving hours out and then make the rest up doing other work? If needed
Danner

Post by Danner »

Zaky117 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:22 pm
Jackon wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:21 pm That is driving limit. You could be working 15 hour days
oh OK so I could max my driving hours out and then make the rest up doing other work? If needed
i'm class 1, in a 15 hour shift id cover my 9 hours driving and then obviously when i'm not driving im undoing curtains, strapping etc so thats towards my working time
Liamor

Post by Liamor »

Its possible to do maybe 4 hours driving on a 12 hour shift, depends on the type of job, just remember your breaks though as they can be easily missed especially if you're new to the job
Zaky117

Post by Zaky117 »

Danner wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:22 pm
i'm class 1, in a 15 hour shift id cover my 9 hours driving and then obviously when i'm not driving im undoing curtains, strapping etc so thats towards my working time
yeah cheers bud that makes sense. I thought it was right just wanted to make sure. I'm hoping to not have to do 15 hrs haha but it's paid for so I don't mind.
Danner

Post by Danner »

Zaky117 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:23 pm

yeah cheers bud that makes sense. I thought it was right just wanted to make sure. I'm hoping to not have to do 15 hrs haha but it's paid for so I don't mind.
class 2, unless youre tramping, its not too common to get 15 and 13hr days, class 1 it is, but this is the industry, long hours
Zaky117

Post by Zaky117 »

Liamor wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:23 pm Its possible to do maybe 4 hours driving on a 12 hour shift, depends on the type of job, just remember your breaks though as they can be easily missed especially if you're new to the job
yeah I just wasn't sure if the other work counted towards it. Cheers
Zaky117

Post by Zaky117 »

Danner wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:24 pm

class 2, unless youre tramping, its not too common to get 15 and 13hr days, class 1 it is, but this is the industry, long hours
yeah I'm only 21 so I might aswell get the hours in welst I'm young.
Danner

Post by Danner »

Zaky117 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:25 pm
Danner wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:24 pm

yeah I'm only 21 so I might aswell get the hours in welst I'm young.
theres ol boys doing this job at 70 doing 15 hour shifts, unfortunately, you dont really get to pick and choose, but honestly before you look for a job, get clued up on rules etc
Zaky117

Post by Zaky117 »

I passed my class 2 a few weeks ago and was ment to ask then but was to busy thinking about passing
Johnny43

Post by Johnny43 »

forget the fortnightly driving limit, it's a two weekly driving limit. The 90 hours covers last week, this week and has an effect on next week.
MarkJo

Post by MarkJo »

Yeah, take 12 hour shifts with a pinch of salt. Many companies regular have 65 to 70 hours if you're doing nights out.
Jukess

Post by Jukess »

iv got class1 and dont use it, for that reason… class 2 is a much more mon-fri , 7am-5.30pm kinda role.. If you get your class1 you will find it VERY difficult to find a role with them sort of hours and predictability… I dont make as much money as these class1 boys maxing there hours, but i dont give a s~%t… Be careful my friend, do your research before you sit your class1…
Johnny43

Post by Johnny43 »

Jukess wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:29 pm iv got class1 and dont use it, for that reason… class 2 is a much more mon-fri , 7am-5.30pm kinda role.. If you get your class1 you will find it VERY difficult to find a role with them sort of hours and predictability… I dont make as much money as these class1 boys maxing there hours, but i dont give a s~%t… Be careful my friend, do your research before you sit your class1…
I don't max my hours, and I spend 95% of my time in Europe.
Jukess

Post by Jukess »

Johnny43 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:30 pm
Jukess wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:29 pm iv got class1 and dont use it, for that reason… class 2 is a much more mon-fri , 7am-5.30pm kinda role.. If you get your class1 you will find it VERY difficult to find a role with them sort of hours and predictability… I dont make as much money as these class1 boys maxing there hours, but i dont give a s~%t… Be careful my friend, do your research before you sit your class1…
😂😂😂 even worse.. your away from home permanently… All i’m saying is class1 tends to less of steady 7-5 job…
Johnny43

Post by Johnny43 »

Jukess wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:30 pm
Johnny43 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:30 pm
😂😂😂 even worse.. your away from home permanently… All i’m saying is class1 tends to less of steady 7-5 job…
oh it gets worse. Been home since Friday afternoon, not starting until midday tomorrow. Get paid very well, workplace pension is £3,600 a year which the boss pays every penny (nothing comes out of my wages). Whatever I pay out is reimbursed as soon as I'm back in the yard. Oh yes and I love my job.
Urryatex

Post by Urryatex »

100% to this!!
I also have my class 1 but dropped back to rigid. Less money but much more manageable predictable hours (in most cases) as said above, much less stress in my opinion. No unexpected nights out cause you've had some mess ups during your day.
I'm a single mum with nursery runs before/after work.. I couldn't do that and do artic work really. The hours the class 1 guys do seem long and stressful
Pettson

Post by Pettson »

Have a look at this for the rules of tacho and WTD
Kataffer

Post by Kataffer »

That's driving, you're in for a shock, 15 hrs work on a card, that's driving load, unload, drive, and then 9 hours rest, report back that you're fuels been pinched, wait 90 minutes for help, then load refused, because you're late, so another night out, then report that you're fuels been pinched wait 90 minutes for help................
Jukess

Post by Jukess »

Kataffer wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:36 pm That's driving, you're in for a shock, 15 hrs work on a card, that's driving load, unload, drive, and then 9 hours rest, report back that you're fuels been pinched, wait 90 minutes for help, then load refused, because you're late, so another night out, then report that you're fuels been pinched wait 90 minutes for help................
listen to this man..
Allexica

Post by Allexica »

Kataffer wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:36 pm That's driving, you're in for a shock, 15 hrs work on a card, that's driving load, unload, drive, and then 9 hours rest, report back that you're fuels been pinched, wait 90 minutes for help, then load refused, because you're late, so another night out, then report that you're fuels been pinched wait 90 minutes for help................
that sounds like a crap version of Eat, sleep, rave repeat.
Jarretto

Post by Jarretto »

Yea I thought much the same when I started my class 2 multidrop job. Only do about 4 hours a day of actual driving in a 12 hour shift.. the time you spend stopped with the engine off just gets switched to "other work" on your tacho and so doesn't count towards your driving time.
Oflattec

Post by Oflattec »

Attachments
A.jpg
A.jpg (44.23 KiB) Viewed 835 times
Oflattec

Post by Oflattec »

Attachments
B.jpg
B.jpg (31.07 KiB) Viewed 835 times
MattBlond

Post by MattBlond »

I do 10hr shifts on my current run. That's 6.5 hrs total driving time, 1.5 hrs loading or tipping,, 45 mins break, away early. Tacho tracks your wheels turning. If I go Newcastle to Mansfield then Google may say 3.5hrs in a truck. When I get there the tacho says 2hrs 45min.
Stevead

Post by Stevead »

3 @15hr days a week and 2 at 12.59 hrs is the real world your thinking of driving hours not working hours
Zaky117

Post by Zaky117 »

Rogery wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:43 pmDon't bother
I can't wait tbh
Bukowes

Post by Bukowes »

48 hours per week average. Easy 👌
Jayresh

Post by Jayresh »

Bukowes wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:44 pm 48 hours per week average. Easy 👌
more like 50-60 😆
Faridor

Post by Faridor »

Best bet is to not start driving if your not liking the hours already. And if you don't know the rules, go and do some cpc courses
Zaky117

Post by Zaky117 »

Faridor wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:46 pm Best bet is to not start driving if your not liking the hours already. And if you don't know the rules, go and do some cpc courses
I know most of the things I should know and just wanted to check what I thought was right was actually right and it is
Kataffer

Post by Kataffer »

I wouldn't say don't bother, just be ready for doing 2 weeks work while your pals are doing one week, they'll think its good money, but you've been up since 4am and stopped at 6pm, in a car park, if you're born to do it you'll enjoy it
Zaky117

Post by Zaky117 »

Kataffer wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:47 pm I wouldn't say don't bother, just be ready for doing 2 weeks work while your pals are doing one week, they'll think its good money, but you've been up since 4am and stopped at 6pm, in a car park, if you're born to do it you'll enjoy it
to be honest I can't wait to start. There's alot of people who say don't do it etc. But since I started the lorry training I've just wanted to get back in one since.
Davellexi

Post by Davellexi »

Don’t do it especially if you’ve got kids and a missis find a class 2 job that pays your bills and gives you a little spare
Urryatex

Post by Urryatex »

Davellexi wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:49 pm Don’t do it especially if you’ve got kids and a missis find a class 2 job that pays your bills and gives you a little spare
👏👏👏
JodyAir

Post by JodyAir »

I think there can be alot of negative things said about class 1 work but working for the right company you can get a work to home life balance, it's all about finding what lifestyle suits you and how much you need to earn to keep that lifestyle, no one can say what's right as we are all in different positions, look around and make an informed decision, going for the most money will normally result in horrible hours and shifts but not always.
Zaky117

Post by Zaky117 »

JodyAir wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:56 pm I think there can be alot of negative things said about class 1 work but working for the right company you can get a work to home life balance, it's all about finding what lifestyle suits you and how much you need to earn to keep that lifestyle, no one can say what's right as we are all in different positions, look around and make an informed decision, going for the most money will normally result in horrible hours and shifts but not always.
I think as long as I can have a few hours a evening and the weekend with my family I don't mind a few longer shifts. I think if you want the good money you have to be prepared to work for it. I have seen a fair few jobs going which isn't them long 12 to 15 hr shifts. There's a lot of local class 1 job.
JodyAir

Post by JodyAir »

Zaky117 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:57 pm
JodyAir wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:56 pm I think there can be alot of negative things said about class 1 work but working for the right company you can get a work to home life balance, it's all about finding what lifestyle suits you and how much you need to earn to keep that lifestyle, no one can say what's right as we are all in different positions, look around and make an informed decision, going for the most money will normally result in horrible hours and shifts but not always.
I think as long as I can have a few hours a evening and the weekend with my family I don't mind a few longer shifts. I think if you want the good money you have to be prepared to work for it. I have seen a fair few jobs going which isn't them long 12 to 15 hr shifts. There's a lot of local class 1 job.
if you can get that then good on ya, hope it works out for you.
Robberg

Post by Robberg »

Have you not done your CPC
Zaky117

Post by Zaky117 »

Robberg wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:58 pm Have you not done your CPC
its the 5th July. It was first booked In April but couldn't make it so had to rebook it.
Robberg

Post by Robberg »

Zaky117 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:59 pm
its the 5th July. It was first booked In April but couldn't make it so had to rebook it.
the CPC will give you every detail about hours and rules so you can be safe 👍
Robberg

Post by Robberg »

good luck with it
Zaky117

Post by Zaky117 »

Robberg wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:59 pm
good luck with it
cheers bud
Paullus

Post by Paullus »

12-15h working day is average, its your driving time you are referring to. Don't panic you will get to know it all. Best read up about it there is some great info out there
DiDarius

Post by DiDarius »

New pass here about two months in and I average about 55-60 hours a week. Tbh I don’t really count as I love what I do
KatHero

Post by KatHero »

DiDarius wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:01 pm New pass here about two months in and I average about 55-60 hours a week. Tbh I don’t really count as I love what I do
I did about 2 months in, give it a few more 🤷‍♂️😂
Vasymp

Post by Vasymp »

Be on high alert when you hear the phase, "I've got a quick run for you - 6 hours max!"
I guarantee you're in for a 15 and a night out and that'll be on the day you've ask for an early finish!
Zaky117

Post by Zaky117 »

Vasymp wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:02 pm Be on high alert when you hear the phase, "I've got a quick run for you - 6 hours max!"
I guarantee you're in for a 15 and a night out and that'll be on the day you've ask for an early finish!
haha I'm going to try and land a job with shorter hours to start with. Maybe a fixed routine type thing. Fingers crossed. I'll remember your heads up when I say yeah I'll do it 🤣
Vasymp

Post by Vasymp »

Zaky117 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:02 pm
Vasymp wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:02 pm Be on high alert when you hear the phase, "I've got a quick run for you - 6 hours max!"
haha I'm going to try and land a job with shorter hours to start with. Maybe a fixed routine type thing. Fingers crossed. I'll remember your heads up when I say yeah I'll do it 🤣
I promise you this will happen and when it does, you can't smile, grab your night out gear and say, "yeah, no problem!" 😁👍
Tommac

Post by Tommac »

Never ever ask for an early finish.
MilleMo

Post by MilleMo »

never ask for an "early" and categorically NEVER EVER plan anything after work. 🤣🤣🤣
Urryatex

Post by Urryatex »

I have my class 1 but dropped back to rigid. Less money but much more manageable predictable hours (in most cases) as said above, much less stress in my opinion.
No unexpected nights out cause you've had some mess ups (which probably weren't your fault) during your day.
I'm a single mum with nursery runs before/after work.. I couldn't do that and do artic work really. The hours the class 1 guys do seem long and stressful.
If you've got a young family or Mrs I wouldn't advise class 1/tramping work.
Zaky117

Post by Zaky117 »

Urryatex wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:05 pm I have my class 1 but dropped back to rigid. Less money but much more manageable predictable hours (in most cases) as said above, much less stress in my opinion.
No unexpected nights out cause you've had some mess ups (which probably weren't your fault) during your day.
I'm a single mum with nursery runs before/after work.. I couldn't do that and do artic work really. The hours the class 1 guys do seem long and stressful.
yeah a few people also said that. I think I'll see what's about when I do pass as it will have to fit around family and homelife. The odd couple nights out I don't mind but I wouldn't want to do it everyday.
Urryatex

Post by Urryatex »

Zaky117 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:05 pm
Urryatex wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:05 pm I have my class 1 but dropped back to rigid. Less money but much more manageable predictable hours (in most cases) as said above, much less stress in my opinion.
yeah a few people also said that. I think I'll see what's about when I do pass as it will have to fit around family and homelife. The odd couple nights out I don't mind but I wouldn't want to do it everyday.
yep .... be ready to firmly stand your ground they sure will test you!
Bloomni50

Post by Bloomni50 »

Tramping is no life for a family person.
Davellexi

Post by Davellexi »

Please if you really want to do it know about what your doing it’s like an artist don’t know how a paint brush works 👍👏👏🤝
Barray

Post by Barray »

Don't give up your day job.
Declanis

Post by Declanis »

Get your CPC updated first numpty.
Rosando

Post by Rosando »

Uve mixed up hours driving and wtd bud
Howletto

Post by Howletto »

Working hrs max: 3 x 15 a week = 45, plus 3 x 13 a week =39 thats 84 hours a week max. Yeah for sure there are lots of other rules too, driving time, rest time wtd this is only to give you a start of where to look. Good luck
Tommac

Post by Tommac »

There are class 1 jobs out there Monday to Friday around 8 hours a day. 8 or 9am starts. Home every night. I know. I've got one. Some days i might only even do 6 hours. But it took me 10 years to find the job. And these jobs are few and far between. Before that, i did plenty of 15 hour days with very early starts and late finishes and all the grief that goes with it.
So i might not earn like a tramper. But I pay my bills and have money to play with.
Danilss

Post by Danilss »

I have class 2 and love it job and nock still get paid for the full day you cant beat It I have thought about class one but hard to find one Monday to Friday and home every night
KatHero

Post by KatHero »

One day you might work a 15 hour day and only drive for 1
Emerson

Post by Emerson »

They all have 2 tachocards 😉
Alexanno

Post by Alexanno »

Emerson wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:16 pm They all have 2 tachocards 😉
if he wants to get another tacho card, I know a guy👀
Craism21

Post by Craism21 »

In a 12 hour shift you will be doing other work. I do multi dropping for XPO, and can easily work a 13 hour shift, of which I do about 5 - 6 hours driving. The rest of the shift is made up of other work, and breaks.
Jayresh

Post by Jayresh »

Driving 9 can work up to 60hrs per week so crack on.
Louroxy

Post by Louroxy »

The answer it's on CPC!
Same as low bridges etc...
Paullus

Post by Paullus »

12 hrs lol your getting an eye opener very soon wait till your a 70 HR week then stick another 3 on top to get too and from work then take the missis shopping for 4 hours then a bath then bed at 11 pm lol 🤣🤣🤣

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”