When starting out would you say buy or rent a tractor unit to start with and what would you go for? Be running day

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Craism21

When starting out would you say buy or rent a tractor unit to start with and what would you go for? Be running day

Post by Craism21 »

When starting out would you say buy or rent a tractor unit to start with and what would you go for? Be running day and night 6/7 days a week. Had a couple of suggestions
Isaacto

Re: When starting out would you say buy or rent a tractor unit to start with and what would you go for? Be running day

Post by Isaacto »

Rental will say you can't do 7 days a week and probably put mileage cap on it
StShane

Re: When starting out would you say buy or rent a tractor unit to start with and what would you go for? Be running day

Post by StShane »

Isaacto wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:29 am Rental will say you can't do 7 days a week and probably put mileage cap on it
not necessarily, I`ve got a couple on long term rent, which run 7 days a week without a mileage cap, but you need a supplier who knows the score, and equally, they trust you to pay their invoices, and not to wreck their kit.......
Isaacto

Post by Isaacto »

StShane wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:30 am
Isaacto wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:29 am Rental will say you can't do 7 days a week and probably put mileage cap on it
not necessarily, I`ve got a couple on long term rent, which run 7 days a week without a mileage cap, but you need a supplier who knows the score, and equally, they trust you to pay their invoices, and not to wreck their kit.......
who do you use as might be interested
StShane

Post by StShane »

Isaacto wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:30 am
I`ll DM you, as he won`t thank me for splashing it all over internet 🙈
Isaacto

Post by Isaacto »

StShane wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:31 am
Isaacto wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:30 am

I`ll DM you, as he won`t thank me for splashing it all over internet 🙈
yeah got it bud thanks
DaveMan

Post by DaveMan »

I bought mine outright and so so glad I did, if I rented or leased I think I could have been in trouble now
DDenney

Post by DDenney »

Depends on what work you doing mate.?
I rented for about 6 months then got my own.
Now i got 3.
Lillone

Post by Lillone »

Buy an old shitter out right then you’ve nothing to pay on a quiet day
Paceyer

Post by Paceyer »

Lillone wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:35 am Buy an old shitter out right then you’ve nothing to pay on a quiet day
I know it makes sense 🤫
Lillone

Post by Lillone »

Paceyer wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:36 am
Lillone wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:35 am Buy an old shitter out right then you’ve nothing to pay on a quiet day
I know it makes sense 🤫
10k wagon bought out right can be sold next day to Africa and get money back it job goes tits up
No debts and no payments to make 👌
Collinte

Post by Collinte »

That's it. I wouldn't rent. Buy a 10... 12k truck.....
ChriMan

Post by ChriMan »

I bought mine outright, only £13k for a merc and 2k for the trailer.
So long as you get both inspected before you buy you should be fine.
Doidom

Post by Doidom »

ChriMan wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:39 am I bought mine outright, only £13k for a merc and 2k for the trailer.
that’s what we did and at the end of the day a £13k truck will still earn the same as a £120k truck and there is no depreciation left to lose.
Amandee

Post by Amandee »

Doidom wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:39 am
ChriMan wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:39 am I bought mine outright, only £13k for a merc and 2k for the trailer.
that’s what we did and at the end of the day a £13k truck will still earn the same as a £120k truck and there is no depreciation left to lose.
yeah it does but you have to pay every pence of the bills compared to new/rented one it's down to luck of the draw on a good motor
Doidom

Post by Doidom »

Amandee wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:40 am
yeah it does but you have to pay every pence of the bills compared to new/rented one it's down to luck of the draw on a good motor
yeah your write mate, but like the industry it’s self it’s a roll of the dice. I’m lucky the 2 I got have been very good so far, they have cost money but still a lot cheaper than renting.
Amandee

Post by Amandee »

Doidom wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:40 am

yeah your write mate, but like the industry it’s self it’s a roll of the dice. I’m lucky the 2 I got have been very good so far, they have cost money but still a lot cheaper than renting.
all depends what work your doing. I'm a big fan of fixed costs. Better to know how much you need to earn every day than run risk of what may break. But horses for courses
ChriMan

Post by ChriMan »

Amandee wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:41 am
Doidom wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:40 am

all depends what work your doing. I'm a big fan of fixed costs. Better to know how much you need to earn every day than run risk of what may break. But horses for courses
I simply put extra aside each week to cover anything that may happen, same principle as renting i just don't have to actually spend the extra when nothing goes wrong
Walkertz

Post by Walkertz »

We leased 2 from MAN. I thought 150'000 Kms per year would be enough but we did 210'000 Kms in the first year with one and had to back it off year 2.... We average 160-180'000 Kms now. We could not get a lease under £500 per week so we now own 2 and lease 2. Lease is good but we're paying out £1650 when we can buy for £750 ish per month... If you do lease / rent you can't run them 24/7 without incurring excess mileage charges. MAN wanted 8 p per km excess and now they've dropped their annual to 130'000 Kms max..
Paullus

Post by Paullus »

Never cheaper than with your own hard cash.
Gilesys

Post by Gilesys »

375 a week at brs rolling contract hand it back if it fails. try for 6 months before you buy
StShane

Post by StShane »

I'd say sign up with an agency as a driver...u certainly won't earn any less.
Owner driver, over rated believe me.
Been 1, for 20 yrs...
It was a shambles when I started and 20 yrs later still is....
Big boys got it sewn up...
Rest just fighting for scraps..
Louroxy

Post by Louroxy »

StShane wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:45 am I'd say sign up with an agency as a driver...u certainly won't earn any less.
Been 1, for 20 yrs...
if nothing changed that is over end of March, no one wants to be paid by amrela and working for agency paye is not win either...
And they do not run V8 Scanias! 😉
Steveny

Post by Steveny »

StShane wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:45 am I'd say sign up with an agency as a driver...u certainly won't earn any less.
Been 1, for 20 yrs...
if your making the same as an agency driver your doing something wrong😂😂
StShane

Post by StShane »

Steveny wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:46 am
Been 1, for 20 yrs...
like I said..20 yrs..
Seen u big earners come and go..
Then 3 mths off in winter because there's no work..
A mate of mine working royal mail full time agency.£20 an hr, week on week.
60 hr week £1200....
Not many owner drivers earn that profit margins.. irrespective of what they tell you..
StShane

Post by StShane »

Been 1, for 20 yrs...
Especially running 8mpg v8s and have a mortgage on it...
Louroxy

Post by Louroxy »

StShane wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:47 am
Been 1, for 20 yrs...
Especially running 8mpg v8s and have a mortgage on it...
yes they pay 20/hrs to ltd drivers(not full time agency) but you can only dream about 1200...RM does not run long shifts and agency takes lot of breaks off you...
Steveny

Post by Steveny »

StShane wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:46 am
Been 1, for 20 yrs...
like I said..20 yrs..
60 hr week £1200....
Not many owner drivers earn that profit margins.. irrespective of what they tell you..
as a company weave run for 15 years, i took over a few years ago all of our trucks pull here or there about 3k a week on containers and our drivers are looked after for there hard work in getting them to that figure, you wanna work hard your do well you wanna run 1500 miles a week and do the minimum you wont be round long!
StShane

Post by StShane »

Steveny wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:48 am

like I said..20 yrs..
60 hr week £1200....
as a company weave run for 15 years, i took over a few years ago all of our trucks pull here or there about 3k a week on containers and our drivers are looked after for there hard work in getting them to that figure, you wanna work hard your do well you wanna run 1500 miles a week and do the minimum you wont be round long!
3k a week on containers.
You're telling me ur on £2 mile.??
Must be on direct with shipper or working 6 days every week..
I'm doing nearer 1700 mile a week out of felixstowe no where near them earnings....
Steveny

Post by Steveny »

StShane wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:49 am

like I said..20 yrs..
60 hr week £1200....
3k a week on containers.
I'm doing nearer 1700 mile a week out of felixstowe no where near them earnings....
weve also never suffered 3 months off in the winter! Id get myself in with a better subby if that was the case😂
Steveny

Post by Steveny »

like I said..20 yrs..
60 hr week £1200....
3k a week on containers.
No if you read what i said it says if you wanna run 1500 miles a week and do the bare minimum you wont be round long, our trucks average 1900 miles just over 1.50 a mile beginning of the year was just under 1.50 a mile we do 5 days a week occasional saturday mornings but only if we couldn't get into get mondays box on on friday!
StShane

Post by StShane »

Steveny wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:50 am

3k a week on containers.
No if you read what i said it says if you wanna run 1500 miles a week and do the bare minimum you wont be round long, our trucks average 1900 miles just over 1.50 a mile beginning of the year was just under 1.50 a mile we do 5 days a week occasional saturday mornings but only if we couldn't get into get mondays box on on friday!
i need to change who i work for...if I do 1800 mile my ppm is around £1.30...
Walkertz

Post by Walkertz »

StShane wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:50 am
Steveny wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:50 am

3k a week on containers.
i need to change who i work for...if I do 1800 mile my ppm is around £1.30...
don't believe some of the BS...
Damiant

Post by Damiant »

Is say buy it something decent from somewhere with a warranty. Renting is far more expensive. And you can’t go wrong with volvos just don’t use the dealers for servicing as they will rob you blind.
Scottych

Post by Scottych »

Buy a r450 Scania great reliable trucks euro 6 and easy on diesel 👍🏼
Danilss

Post by Danilss »

Rent as I’ve said before
Nichone

Post by Nichone »

I started in March, brought my unit and trailer, so far they've behaved themselves, unit gets serviced every 3 months, looked at leasing, glad I didn't with the current situation.
Edwarco

Post by Edwarco »

We started off with 6 year old Scania’s bought off scania outright came with 1 years warranty, years test and came up with cheap maintenance contract too, 18k trucks we bought sold 2 years later for 12k
Tepozzi

Post by Tepozzi »

Buy, bought mine outright as l saw numbers for lease/rental to be unreasonable due to mileage rates on jobs. 12k truck and no silly payments, if jobs fall apart the truck will be on its way to Africa and money back in bank. People under estimate these cheap trucks but when they get to Africa they work harder under harsh conditions and still hold it together for a very long time.
WilGo

Post by WilGo »

Tepozzi I agree just getting 3 renault t cabs. 16 k each. Good value motor

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”