But also an observation of test conditions and modules that are a MINIMUM REQUIREMENT of passing hgv class 2 and 1.

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
VaggRap

But also an observation of test conditions and modules that are a MINIMUM REQUIREMENT of passing hgv class 2 and 1.

Post by VaggRap »

I apologize in advance, this is a rant, yes. But also an observation of test conditions and modules that are a MINIMUM REQUIREMENT of passing hgv class 2 and 1. First things first, congratulations and kudos to all you lot that have passed or are going through the car to class 1 route, its not something I agree with, but you've got balls to go from a 1 tonne metal box to a 44 tonne steel missile. This is what got me thinking you see. I passed my car in 91, with grandfather rights for 7.5, I passed class 2 in 2018 and then and only then I went and did class 1 last year. My thoughts are this, the lessons don't teach you how to drive, they teach you how to pass! I was lucky, I got experience in each class before moving up. None of what the actual driving test teaches you real life situations. The reversing test especially is non sensical...... where in real life do 2 lines on the bulkhead of a trailer get you into a bay/parking at services or even into a tight lay-by. Next, the modules we take include hazard perception, tacho rules and numerous other things. These aren't covered anywhere near enough to get you "on the road" without getting some sort of infringement...... trust me, I know from experience. 35 hours CPC is needed every 5 years to show we are "still competent ", personally, I think this is some sort of money making scheme, but I do think refreshment in some way is needed. What are peoples thoughts? Sorry for the long whine.
Lianeer

Re: But also an observation of test conditions and modules that are a MINIMUM REQUIREMENT of passing hgv class 2 and 1.

Post by Lianeer »

I passed my c to class 1 in January and honestly I agree with you. I'm currently working in a class 2 wagon and I'm glad I'm driving that first.
I've said to a few people the test requirements are minimal at best. And as for the reversing part of the test. That's a bit of a joke tbh. I'm not looking forward to the time I have to do a 90 reverse in a tight parking bay for the first time.
Turneer

Re: But also an observation of test conditions and modules that are a MINIMUM REQUIREMENT of passing hgv class 2 and 1.

Post by Turneer »

2 weeks ago I did the car to C+E and passed. I do think operating various agricultural machinery for 25+ years put me in a good position to do the test. Apart from that I do agree with you but I saw an opportunity and went for it.
Gaaryza

Post by Gaaryza »

Turneer wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:11 pm 2 weeks ago I did the car to C+E and passed. I do think operating various agricultural machinery for 25+ years put me in a good position to do the test. Apart from that I do agree with you but I saw an opportunity and went for it.
same as, been driving all sorts all my life including riged lorrys on private land drying grain, like you I had the opportunity to go from car to class 1 so why not
Joneed

Post by Joneed »

I passed cat c (class 2) because I had to to get to c+e (class 1) I never drove a rigid between passing class 2 and passing class 1
The day I passed class 2 I booked my class 1
There is no need to have any experience of driving a rigid it doesn’t help whatsoever with driving a artic
Bennerin

Post by Bennerin »

Joneed wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:14 pm I passed cat c (class 2) because I had to to get to c+e (class 1) I never drove a rigid between passing class 2 and passing class 1
There is no need to have any experience of driving a rigid it doesn’t help whatsoever with driving a artic
of course it does it gives experience off handling a large vehicle on the road mirror techniques all sorts just because one person can handle the change straight over doesn't mean the other 95 percent can and its a hell off a object to risk people's lives with
Leerson

Post by Leerson »

Joneed wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:14 pm I passed cat c (class 2) because I had to to get to c+e (class 1) I never drove a rigid between passing class 2 and passing class 1
exactly. I think the biggest problem is people not suited to it, jumping on the bandwagon off the back of the lies told about driver shortage and 50k a year
Stucens

Post by Stucens »

Leerson wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:16 pm
exactly. I think the biggest problem is people not suited to it, jumping on the bandwagon off the back of the lies told about driver shortage and 50k a year
I used to drive sainsburys 3.5t put myself through class 2 and then class 1. I failed Class 1 a couple of times due to silly mistakes that experience would have taught me had I stepped up more gradually. But went from 3.5t to milk tanker rigid to class 1 curtains to 11+ car transporter in less than 8 months and should be over £50-60k. It is possible
Johnolla

Post by Johnolla »

Stucens wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:17 pm
I used to drive sainsburys 3.5t put myself through class 2 and then class 1. I failed Class 1 a couple of times due to silly mistakes that experience would have taught me had I stepped up more gradually. But went from 3.5t to milk tanker rigid to class 1 curtains to 11+ car transporter in less than 8 months and should be over £50-60k. It is possible
those silly mistakes should have been corrected by your instructor. And no matter of how much experience you have you're still going to make mistakes.
Joneed

Post by Joneed »

Stucens wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:17 pm
silly mistakes are less common if you do class 1 straight after class 2 as you haven’t picked up bad habits
VaggRap

Post by VaggRap »

it's not so much the difference in driving style, it's the specials awareness. I'm not saying people shouldn't do car to class 1 ( as I said, kudos to them) it's the fact that if you have experience with rigid, it gives you a fighting chance of getting into places without sheer panic, which in my experience of specific places causes mistakes which in turn can create accidents
Leerson

Post by Leerson »

VaggRap wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:18 pm
it's not so much the difference in driving style, it's the specials awareness. I'm not saying people shouldn't do car to class 1 ( as I said, kudos to them) it's the fact that if you have experience with rigid, it gives you a fighting chance of getting into places without sheer panic, which in my experience of specific places causes mistakes which in turn can create accidents
you do realize that it was almost exactly like this 20 years ago? I passed my cat c test on a Friday. I went to Tenerife for a week and then started c+e training. I passed that on the following Friday and started a job on the Monday. I drove nothing more than my car in between
Paunate

Post by Paunate »

Disagee class 2 gives you the skills to appreciate larger wagons observations etc class 2 is a different beast to artic before you say dito i have both..
Marream

Post by Marream »

Lots of experienced older drivers didn't do class 2 and went straight to class 1 prior to the European laws coming in so no, i don't agree. Class 2 drives completely different to Class 1, only similarity both large. I went straight to Class 1 from car. I went straight into a job on Class 1. There are more accidents because statically there are more hazards and more people on the road, yes at times it is the fault of a new driver, but there are also drivers with plenty of experience who also have accidents. As for the CPC look at the recent announcements on the GOV website, they are looking to streamline and reduce this, while making it more effective.
Briange

Post by Briange »

I passed car to class 1 January 22 , went straight on the road the following Monday after I passed , 14th month on I’m still on the road with a clean record , only one infringement which was I forgot to put it on brake after I stopped at one of our depots , I got wtd , went over 6 hours by 10 mins, my history I passed my car in 87 and I have driven large vans pick ups trailers , 7.5 ton with 25 foot trailers , then I was trained to shunt class1 in our yard which I did for 12 months before taking my class 1 test , so I would say I was more than capable to go from car to class one , oh I also drive an old manual ERF mc11 twin split from time to time
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (36.81 KiB) Viewed 425 times
Marream

Post by Marream »

Briange wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:22 pm I passed car to class 1 January 22 , went straight on the road the following Monday after I passed , 14th month on I’m still on the road with a clean record , only one infringement which was I forgot to put it on brake after I stopped at one of our depots , I got wtd , went over 6 hours by 10 mins, my history I passed my car in 87 and I have driven large vans pick ups trailers , 7.5 ton with 25 foot trailers , then I was trained to shunt class1 in our yard which I did for 12 months before taking my class 1 test , so I would say I was more than capable to go from car to class one , oh I also drive an old manual ERF mc11 twin split from time to time
would love a go in that! 😍
Leerson

Post by Leerson »

In 2003 I went from c1 on grandfather rights), passed c and a week later to c+e. I didn't drive cat c to gain experience. I honestly don't see the problem.
BBullow

Post by BBullow »

I totally agree!!
I passed the fast track car to C1 in 5 days 🙄🤪 back in November.
Although the rigid is a completely different beast, it does make you understand size, turning circle, tail swing etc etc.... (Never driven one)
I saw opportunity, took it. I'm nearly 50 and needed a change, had to get out of what I was doing. Being older I couldn't do 2-3yrs training for something different........ However, yes I'm a novice but the 44tonne beast I'm driving with the respect it deserves. I ain't rushing for no focker.... Even if there is a yard full of the driving equivalent of Uncle Albert all waiting, looking at me to get in/onto a bay 🤪
But I fokin love it!!!!
The freedom, my own space and in a way my own boss. No whining, Whinging or office BS and politics.
I get what you're saying and totally understand. It's a massive, scary jump.
Meikos50

Post by Meikos50 »

I see your side but in life the only way you learn is from experience I expect this post is result of one of 2 things 1 you had you first pint last night or 2 a new driver has taken your job and is better at it then you
VaggRap

Post by VaggRap »

Meikos50 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:26 pm I see your side but in life the only way you learn is from experience I expect this post is result of one of 2 things 1 you had you first pint last night or 2 a new driver has taken your job and is better at it then you
neither, I am 48 years old so it's not my first pint, no one has taken my job, in fact I have been told I am doing better than expected. I have been pondering on posting about this for a while. I used to work in recovery and attended more than my fair share of fatal accidents, when you get talking to the emergency services and when you have been doing it for a while you can see where things go wrong. I chose to do tramping and class 1 work because I enjoy driving, I also stepped back from recovery work as it does make you think. I am not saying people shouldn't, I was giving my opinion and wondered at other people's thoughts
Martie

Post by Martie »

Had this discussion with someone last week. I did my car to class 1 in 2 days but had loads of 7.5t experience and grew up around trucks and grew up on a farm with tractors and trailers. I personally think it’s more dangerous you could get straight in a 7.5t with no training, and if hiring for personal use no CPC knowledge either.
Peersay

Post by Peersay »

It all depends on experience. I went from car to class 1. However I have towed trailers of all types with a variety of cars (some outfits may have been not the best match!)for the last 20 years. I have been tramping for the last 3 months with a full size fridge unit & I can honestly say, once you get used to the different pivot point it i would say it is a lot easier to drive than my current 42’ long 4.5t car and caravan outfit. But yes I do agree, someone who has never towed anything and has had limited driving experience ie, less than 10 years should maybe do extra training? Or maybe have to drive a class 2 for a couple of years first?
McMick

Post by McMick »

In the old days, you could learn to drive a Class 1 without even having a car licence, you had 2 L Plates on the trucks.
I passed in 2005 and had to do Class 2 first. I passed my Class 1 a Month later without ever driving a Rigid in between. I’ve driven all sorts and done all sorts since then and been an Assessor for a Supermarket and in my experienced opinion, you’re wrong. While driving a Rigid is similar in height and width of cab, everything else is different. Driving a Rigid for 10 years doesn’t mean you’ll automatically be ready and good at driving Class 1. The vehicles and jobs are different and experience is the only thing that helps. The test is to show you’ve reached enough of a level to drive on your own. A good driver never stops learning, 18 years in and I learn every da
Ashharm

Post by Ashharm »

Rubbish. Plenty go from car to class 1 and will never have an accident. I'm more concerned with the amount of older hgv drivers with awful lifestyles that are a heart attack waiting to happen. You'll only get class 1 experience by driving them, previous experience is irrelevant. Yes the training could be better, but it doesn't mean it's bad.
Maurinte33

Post by Maurinte33 »

Ashharm wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:31 pm Rubbish. Plenty go from car to class 1 and will never have an accident. I'm more concerned with the amount of older hgv drivers with awful lifestyles that are a heart attack waiting to happen. You'll only get class 1 experience by driving them, previous experience is irrelevant. Yes the training could be better, but it doesn't mean it's bad.
almost fully agree but the reverse is bad, this can be improved immensely and to be honest I think its down to cost the training schools don't have the room to imitate loading bays, Inow know the art of a good reverse is the initial set up, never taught that.
Terriett01

Post by Terriett01 »

We all have different learning styles. Its seem you found what worked best for you. Other might not need to spread it out as long you.
Simoned

Post by Simoned »

So you are aware at one time you could do class 1 on double l plates and no car license at all?
This isn’t new we had straight to class 1 before
Matterix

Post by Matterix »

Simoned wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:34 pm So you are aware at one time you could do class 1 on double l plates and no car license at all?
This isn’t new we had straight to class 1 before
was just going to say the same
IainRox

Post by IainRox »

So, as a 'new pass' who agrees that the lessons are designed to pass a test. I'm disappointed that the haulage industry has no development programme or system to nurture the next generation of drivers. I've been offered 7.5t work mixed up with upto 70% of warehouse work; could've done that 35yrs ago when I passed my test! Therefore, whilst agreeing that the 'car to LGV Training' doesn't provide the finished article, it does demonstrate a commitment to the industry, without any support or help beyond the pass...
PPrince10

Post by PPrince10 »

I know a fair few artic driver's who have been driving for 20+ years, who simply won't drive a rigid because self admitted - they struggle driving them!
I'm not a betting man but I bet you a good majority of people people who've gone from car to class 1 would struggle & would probably hit something in my 39ft / 12m 8 legger that has the turning circle of a oil tanker & weighs more empty than what most carry! Remember, some 8 wheelers are the same length as a trailer that doesn't have a bendy bit to get it round.
Tomorrow, I'm running a abnormal load, 10ft wide, 32ft long which gives me a 8ft overhang an effectively no mirrors, so I'll be 47ft long in total & you wanna see the places we have to go!
So please don't be that nieve to think class 2 driving is easy, an you get nothing from it.
Now, I'm starting my class 1 journey at the end of the month so I can drive wagon & drag & without my 18 months class 2 experience, I certainly wouldn't contemplate doing class 1.
Ionnes

Post by Ionnes »

I fully agree with everything you have said, and going from car to class 1, my hat goes off to you all for doing that. Personally I would💩 myself if I had to do that.
I passed class 2 some 20 years ago and never used it. I have recently passed class 1 in November and been out 3 times. The learning curve is huge.
The driving test and lessons are nothing like the real thing as you are all aware. I have a good friend that drives and I have been using him as my mentor and am I glad I have him on speed dial.
I have to say I don't regret anything and love it every time I get in and drive.
Keep safe everyone and 🤞that the salaries are going to go up soon to reflect the skill and responsibility that we have. 👌👌
DoDaniel

Post by DoDaniel »

I've had one infringement since passing, I put a manual entry in the next morning that took me 3 minutes over 6 hours of working time. You have a duty to educate yourself
VaggRap

Post by VaggRap »

DoDaniel wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:39 pm I've had one infringement since passing, I put a manual entry in the next morning that took me 3 minutes over 6 hours of working time. You have a duty to educate yourself
agreed
VaggRap

Post by VaggRap »

Thank you all for your comments, it truly shows a diverse amount of opinions and perspectives. As someone said earlier people learn and cope at different levels. To me, that is what I enjoy. You can learn off other drivers and other drivers can learn off you. Thanks again
Ollient

Post by Ollient »

I came the class 1, having already got PCV1 (pre auto drives anything). Personally I disagree with you. I found in some ways I had to un-learn stuff first. They handle, corner and reverse quite diffently. In some respects an artic is easier. They bend round corners, often the view point is higher, you even get a better view when reversing.
I do agree the test does not represent the real world and the CPC I'm undecided on.
Farlogy

Post by Farlogy »

There is so much to learn! Yes, passing the test is just the start, you learn on the road what you really need to know
Aka getting experience
Keefect

Post by Keefect »

Yes it's a government scam, they have also paid hauliers to take on newbies even though they don't want them but are given financial incentives. This also means they can cap the wage we deserve.
Addamic

Post by Addamic »

It was possible to go straight to class 1 years ago. Lots of the older lads did. It's nothing new.
Michalfo

Post by Michalfo »

I get confused by the argument of people saying they went from rigid to artic. Car from rigid is still a huge jump up and it doesn’t massively aid the jump to an artic. Any step from car to a larger vehicle is big, the test has never been “training” the training begins when you get behind the wheel of the larger vehicle and learn.🤯
Grahac

Post by Grahac »

Your 110% correct as I started out with my d licence, then class2 and later my class1.
The amount of new drivers who drive a foot from the trucks butt in front. Is stupid with other things too.
I worked at Muller in Trafford Park a year ago and their driver, from the promotional Facebook ads. Couldn't reverse a class2 without nearly hitting buildings or cars. No idea how he passed his class1 but I've since seen those drivers. Nearly cause accidents in the northwest without a clue of the dangers. Their posing to other road users.
Joneed

Post by Joneed »

Grahac wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:45 pm Your 110% correct as I started out with my d licence, then class2 and later my class1.
The amount of new drivers who drive a foot from the trucks butt in front. Is stupid with other things too.
I worked at Muller in Trafford Park a year ago and their driver, from the promotional Facebook ads. Couldn't reverse a class2 without nearly hitting buildings or cars. No idea how he passed his class1 but I've since seen those drivers. Nearly cause accidents in the northwest without a clue of the dangers. Their posing to other road users.
most the tailgaters are drivers who have been driving years and think they are some kind of super trucker
Grahac

Post by Grahac »

Joneed wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:45 pm
Grahac wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:45 pm Your 110% correct as I started out with my d licence, then class2 and later my class1.
most the tailgaters are drivers who have been driving years and think they are some kind of super trucker
They can't overcome the effects of physics
NunnDav

Post by NunnDav »

Passed my class 1 from car and and my first job is shunting to get experience reversing.
JohnGal

Post by JohnGal »

Cat C and CE are completely different vehicles. Any experience gained in a cat C will have no benefits for driving CE.
MattBlond

Post by MattBlond »

We had a bloke go from car to class 1... wrote a truck off 🤣🤣.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”