Afternoon everyone,, I'm new to this,, so please be easy,, I'm struggling a bit with using tacho use any help please

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
DDavies

Afternoon everyone,, I'm new to this,, so please be easy,, I'm struggling a bit with using tacho use any help please

Post by DDavies »

Afternoon everyone,, I'm new to this,, so please be easy 🤦‍♂️,, I'm struggling a bit with using tacho use any help please,,
PrPeck

Re: Afternoon everyone,, I'm new to this,, so please be easy,, I'm struggling a bit with using tacho use any help please

Post by PrPeck »

Look up the make of your tacho go to the company Web site and they will have a simulator
Adamello

Re: Afternoon everyone,, I'm new to this,, so please be easy,, I'm struggling a bit with using tacho use any help please

Post by Adamello »

What's up mate, if u explain there will be someone that knows 🙃
Craiggin

Post by Craiggin »

Been driving 30 odd year's and am still getting infringements 😆
Henryx

Post by Henryx »

Craiggin wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:12 pm Been driving 30 odd year's and am still getting infringements 😆
same here! But you can't Frisbee you card out the window newer days 🤣
DDavies

Post by DDavies »

Just the basics, I put my card in i get started,, only time i touch it then is on break o'r end of day,,,
Steveend

Post by Steveend »

DDavies wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:16 pm Just the basics, I put my card in i get started,, only time i touch it then is on break o'r end of day,,,
Assuming you're on day/night work (as opposed to tramping), put your card in when you start work. It asks you if you want to do a manual entry, click No. (If you do, you tube it).
It might ask what time zone you want, just say YES.
Then don't move the wagon for at least 15 minutes. This is your vehicle inspection time.
Then once all checks are done and load is strapped/checked etc, just drive. Then when you have a break, press the '1' button until the bed appears (don't hold it down as that ejects the card!)
Do at least 1 minute longer than necessary on your break to be sure.
If you do a straight 45, do 46 minutes. If you split your break, do a 16 and a 31.
I normally wrote down the 1st session of driving hours in case you need to calculate extra driving time (but you can always print it out at any time if unsure)
Then drive/work again for next session.
Also, you have to take a 30 minute Working Time Directive break before you work 6 hours.
At the end of the day when you park up, hold the '1' button to eject your card.
Hope that helps
DDavies

Post by DDavies »

Steveend wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:17 pm
DDavies wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:16 pm Just the basics, I put my card in i get started,, only time i touch it then is on break o'r end of day,,,
Assuming you're on day/night work (as opposed to tramping), put your card in when you start work. It asks you if you want to do a manual entry, click No. (If you do, you tube it).
Then don't move the wagon for at least 15 minutes. This is your vehicle inspection time.
Then once all checks are done and load is strapped/checked etc, just drive. Then when you have a break, press the '1' button until the bed appears (don't hold it down as that ejects the card!)
If you do a straight 45, do 46 minutes. If you split your break, do a 16 and a 31.
I normally wrote down the 1st session of driving hours in case you need to calculate extra driving time (but you can always print it out at any time if unsure)
Also, you have to take a 30 minute Working Time Directive break before you work 6 hours.
Hope that helps
hi sorry it's day work start at 8.00am finish 5.00pm
Steveend

Post by Steveend »

DDavies wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:17 pm
Hope that helps
I'm on 7 till 5. Get paid a 10 hour shift if work 10 hours or less. And overtime after 10 hours.
DDavies

Post by DDavies »

Steveend wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:18 pm

Hope that helps
I'm on 7 till 5. Get paid a 10 hour shift if work 10 hours or less. And overtime after 10 hours.
Thank you
Davide

Post by Davide »

just switch tacho to bed when eject card…never done a manual entry in 12 years of driving and have never been pulled up on it
Davide

Post by Davide »

Hope that helps
that’s fair enough bud just saying I’ve never done one 👍🏼
Steveend

Post by Steveend »

Davide wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:22 pm

I work for quite a large haulage firm. NO drivers do this, and trust me, they are hot on infringements.
Davide

Post by Davide »

Steveend wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:23 pm

I work for quite a large haulage firm. NO drivers do this, and trust me, they are hot on infringements.
depends if it’s got big words in it I’m f**ked 🤣🤣
Tubbson

Post by Tubbson »

Steveend wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:23 pm

if tramping do you take the card out for rest/sleep and put it back in before starting the next day's checks?
Steveend

Post by Steveend »

DDavies wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:18 pm

Thank you
my typical day...
Start week at 7. Put card in.
Leave yard about 7.45 after checks etc.
15 minute break around 10.
30 minute break as near to 1pm as possible , or before you get to 4H20M of driving, whichever comes first.
Write down your driving hours.
Carry on working......
DDavies

Post by DDavies »

No idea of what to do when I stop for delivery
Seanza

Post by Seanza »

DDavies wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:26 pm No idea of what to do when I stop for delivery
do you unload yourself or do you sit and wait? Do you know the basic times for needing a break?
DDavies

Post by DDavies »

Seanza wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:26 pm
DDavies wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:26 pm No idea of what to do when I stop for delivery
do you unload yourself or do you sit and wait? Do you know the basic times for needing a break?
yes but only takes about 5 mins
Seanza

Post by Seanza »

DDavies wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:26 pm
just leave it on other work/cross hammers whilst you deliver if it only takes a few minutes
Johnnes

Post by Johnnes »

as Seanza said, other work will be fine, your tacho should default to this without needing to press anything once you stop. The little steering wheel symbol should change to cross hammers, you can manually switch between other work/break/period of availability by pressing 1
Kieraco

Post by Kieraco »

you really should take 20 minutes to familiarize yourself with it, just incase you're asked for a roadside printout, also the clocks will change soon, and do you carry spare rolls of paper (x2) keep them in your work bag don't expect the truck to have them
Kaspeco

Post by Kaspeco »

I do general haulage, most of the work is on building sites. Could take a few hours to tip. I take the straps off then put it on break. Hope that helps.
Kieraco

Post by Kieraco »

the 5 mins it takes becomes working time not driving time, your tacho is probably automatic so no need to touch it, only time to touch it is when you put it on break
AronNeo

Post by AronNeo »

Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (48.69 KiB) Viewed 397 times
AronNeo

Post by AronNeo »

signs are same but some tachographs are diff, use youtube if you get stuck
Natheory

Post by Natheory »

Do a tacho cpc course. One 7 hr to your next cpc and you will learn a lot.
About manual entries and hours. Poa. Etc.
PaulJo

Post by PaulJo »

matey
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (45.95 KiB) Viewed 394 times
Tomczar

Post by Tomczar »

Volvo didn't need to be told it's in the UK when it was left Merc does so a manual entry just to tell it it's in the same place to where you left it even if office reader didn't pick that up my app did
Stevend

Post by Stevend »

100% YouTube it mate - don't feel bad about asking as once you learn you can educate others in the same boat!
Always do your manual entries at the start of the shift
RoRobert

Post by RoRobert »

4.5 hours drive or 6hrs work. Have a 45 minute break. With poa added you will be good. Easy
Tomison5

Post by Tomison5 »

Pm me I will be happy to help you if I can
JohnBit

Post by JohnBit »

What help do you need. There is some very good information on the
https://www.gov.uk/
Web site.
DDavies

Post by DDavies »

Cheers for your help everyone,, all been brilliant with your help 👍👍👍

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”