Hi, I’m a young, enthusiastic and hardworking lad (22 yrs young) (based in Coventry midlands) and I’m going to be

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Ellioce94

Hi, I’m a young, enthusiastic and hardworking lad (22 yrs young) (based in Coventry midlands) and I’m going to be

Post by Ellioce94 »

Hi, I’m a young, enthusiastic and hardworking lad (22 yrs young) (based in Coventry📍 midlands) and I’m going to be soon going for my hgv licences. Just testing the water to see if business’s (if any) would take on an inexperienced yet eager to learn lad such as myself when I come to have my licences.
In my spare time I take my own car to car shows and if I’m not at one then I’ll be at home cleaning the motor, I’ve added a pic just for the sake of it. So rest assured your vehicle would be looked after 🙂
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (492.34 KiB) Viewed 782 times
Johnnes

Re: Hi, I’m a young, enthusiastic and hardworking lad (22 yrs young) (based in Coventry midlands) and I’m going to be

Post by Johnnes »

I'm the same but im not a youngster
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (425.49 KiB) Viewed 780 times
Ellioce94

Re: Hi, I’m a young, enthusiastic and hardworking lad (22 yrs young) (based in Coventry midlands) and I’m going to be

Post by Ellioce94 »

Johnnes wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:39 pm I'm the same but im not a youngster
Lovely motor that mate, bet you spend a lot of time at the filling stations tho
Johnnes

Post by Johnnes »

Ellioce94 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:39 pm
Johnnes wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:39 pm I'm the same but im not a youngster
Lovely motor that mate, bet you spend a lot of time at the filling stations tho
cheers. Only on a weekend when it gets used. Thinking about getting rid of it as not ideal having 550 bhp under your foot when I've just got my class1. I'm hoping to keep my license for a while lol nice BM by the way 👍
Jamieers

Post by Jamieers »

Family firms are the best, but you shouldn’t have any trouble finding work as a new driver plenty out there
Jamieers

Post by Jamieers »

deffo recommend getting on 3.5t if you can with a transport company then work way up to their hgv
PaulJo

Post by PaulJo »

Try asking without the picture of the whip.
I think you'll find your post will come over just a bit more genuine and positive to potential employers and drivers who could possibly help you or point you in the right direction.
Quite a positive attitude and post otherwise 👍
Ellioce94

Post by Ellioce94 »

PaulJo wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:41 pm Try asking without the picture of the whip.
I think you'll find your post will come over just a bit more genuine and positive to potential employers and drivers who could possibly help you or point you in the right direction.
thanks for the constructive criticism, always welcomed 🙂
PaulJo

Post by PaulJo »

Ellioce94 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:41 pm
PaulJo wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:41 pm Try asking without the picture of the whip.
overall fantastic post if I'm being honest.
The car just doesn't fit in with your overall narrative
Niccore

Post by Niccore »

I agree with PaulJo, I see your point being you want to drive a fancy truck like they take to truck fest, but to get there you probably wanna start with a company that has a “less presentable” fleet… most drivers Have had some sort of “bump” at some point, usually early on in driving. Just build experience with whoever for now, then chase the show trucks a bit later on (not a million years away, just not yet)
I could be wrong and you could walk into a show-truck company tomorrow… but that’s my 2p’s worth
(2nd’d iffy be a better post without the car pic)
On that note it is a very well presented car…
Ellioce94

Post by Ellioce94 »

Niccore wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:43 pm
I agree with PaulJo, I see your point being you want to drive a fancy truck like they take to truck fest, but to get there you probably wanna start with a company that has a “less presentable” fleet… most drivers Have had some sort of “bump” at some point, usually early on in driving. Just build experience with whoever for now, then chase the show trucks a bit later on (not a million years away, just not yet)
I could be wrong and you could walk into a show-truck company tomorrow… but that’s my 2p’s worth
(2nd’d iffy be a better post without the car pic)
On that note it is a very well presented car…
absolutely, and I’m not expecting to just be chucked into a brand new wagon and have all the kit etc… i can see how it could be interpreted in the wrong way, don’t get me wrong I am keen to graft. Thankyou for the response 🙂
MrMillo

Post by MrMillo »

Try culina careers page, fowler Welsh part of their group in Nuneaton have taken apprentices on recently. Don’t think age will be an issue for them.
WoodJr

Post by WoodJr »

I passed my class2 Wednesday last week mate and hour n half later had a job.. so yes
Kaspeco

Post by Kaspeco »

I passed at 23 & went on on agency for a year then did my class 1
AnCinqo

Post by AnCinqo »

Nice car lad 😉
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (43.84 KiB) Viewed 760 times
Tubbson

Post by Tubbson »

Dhl -uk mail are putting drivers through there classes up Ryton
Hewittor

Post by Hewittor »

Try and get into an apprenticeship it's 13month program but they will fully fund the cost and take you on if your going to pay for yourself most big companies will take you on if not agency work will
Steaddy

Post by Steaddy »

Great pitch, hopefully somebody I here can help you!
I work in Coventry atm trying to get a job closer to home. also i drive an f31 😂
Good luck bud
DiDeavin

Post by DiDeavin »

Sign on with a driving agency. Sadly its hard to nearly impossible to get a driving job without experience and you cant get experience without a job and most want at least a year.
Seanza

Post by Seanza »

DiDeavin wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:53 pm Sign on with a driving agency. Sadly its hard to nearly impossible to get a driving job without experience and you cant get experience without a job and most want at least a year.
no it's not near impossible to get a driving j9b without experience. I have seen jobs advertised for newly passes with the companies direct and have worked for a few that have taken newlynpasses on with no experience. Do t give the lad false information it is possible but not many companies do it. It is more the agency that takes them on.
DiDeavin

Post by DiDeavin »

Seanza wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:54 pm
DiDeavin wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:53 pm Sign on with a driving agency. Sadly its hard to nearly impossible to get a driving job without experience and you cant get experience without a job and most want at least a year.
no it's not near impossible to get a driving j9b without experience. I have seen jobs advertised for newly passes with the companies direct and have worked for a few that have taken newlynpasses on with no experience. Do t give the lad false information it is possible but not many companies do it. It is more the agency that takes them on.
mate when I passed nearly all the jobs I found were a I said. Personal experiences differ but that was longtime ago and times change.
Seanza

Post by Seanza »

DiDeavin wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:54 pm
Seanza wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:54 pm
mate when I passed nearly all the jobs I found were a I said. Personal experiences differ but that was longtime ago and times change.
yeah still like that really but there is only a small amount t of companies that do it . Do t get me wrong a don't mean everyone
Pereins

Post by Pereins »

I was taken on as a new driver 20 years ago by a company that sent me out to Germany to collect an artic, straight after I passed. They are out there, might need to look a little and be prepared to travel a little. Good luck
DiDeavin

Post by DiDeavin »

Pereins wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:56 pm
I was taken on as a new driver 20 years ago by a company that sent me out to Germany to collect an artic, straight after I passed. They are out there, might need to look a little and be prepared to travel a little. Good luck
not me that needs it, thanks.
I was going as we all do on my personal experience.
Iliedman

Post by Iliedman »

actually as a new driver you can find really easy. I find job from first day after passing hgv test
DiDeavin

Post by DiDeavin »

Iliedman wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:59 pm
actually as a new driver you can find really easy. I find job from first day after passing hgv test
its personal experience
Stevend

Post by Stevend »

not nowadays mate the better companies are offering apprentices now if you send you cv and already have your licence and cpc they will take you on
RoRobert

Post by RoRobert »

Get some time in a 3.5t mate, loads of companies will take you and you only need car license. Then your Inthe game.
Some may even be willing to get you your class 1 and 2 etc
Craiggin

Post by Craiggin »

When I first passed my class 2 I did the bins for nuneaton council, just to get used to abit of a bigger vehicle before doing my class 1.
Stepanex

Post by Stepanex »

Ignore the haters and dickheads....
Can't help with prospective employers, but good luck to you...hopefully someone can point you in the right direction.
Kieraco

Post by Kieraco »

Get on the bins mate, bit smelly but you get used to it😂easiest way to get class 2🤷🏼‍♂️
RoRobert

Post by RoRobert »

Kieraco wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:03 pm Get on the bins mate, bit smelly but you get used to it😂easiest way to get class 2🤷🏼‍♂️
what do you mean by easiest mate?
Kieraco

Post by Kieraco »

RoRobert wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:03 pm
Kieraco wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:03 pm Get on the bins mate, bit smelly but you get used to it😂easiest way to get class 2🤷🏼‍♂️
start on 3.5 ton, work with and around other larger vehicles 7.5 ton, dustcarts, road sweepers, they always love a grafter, and they will put you through your class 2👍🏻
RoRobert

Post by RoRobert »

Kieraco wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:04 pm
start on 3.5 ton, work with and around other larger vehicles 7.5 ton, dustcarts, road sweepers, they always love a grafter, and they will put you through your class 2👍🏻
ah I see, good shout mate 👌
Ellioce94

Post by Ellioce94 »

RoRobert wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:04 pm

ill have to give that one a pass, around here they’re on strike so I doubt they’re looking for new employees 😂 thanks mate
Kieraco

Post by Kieraco »

Ellioce94 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:04 pm

ill have to give that one a pass, around here they’re on strike so I doubt they’re looking for new employees 😂 thanks mate
on strike wtf lol😂
Ellioce94

Post by Ellioce94 »

honest mate, something about wages. Unite (whoever they are) are stepping in and paying them apparently… all rumours though as I don’t actually have any links lol.
RoRobert

Post by RoRobert »

Ellioce94 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:06 pm

honest mate, something about wages. Unite (whoever they are) are stepping in and paying them apparently… all rumours though as I don’t actually have any links lol.
unite, one of the biggest private unions, they cover railway workers also.
Niccore

Post by Niccore »

if the workers are on strike… they will want staff to work 😳😳 Just sayin 🤐
Ellioce94

Post by Ellioce94 »

Niccore wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:07 pm

didn’t think about it like that…
Niccore

Post by Niccore »

Ellioce94 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:07 pm
Niccore wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:07 pm

didn’t think about it like that…
I wouldn’t recommend it - would upset the people you would end up working with…
Gamands

Post by Gamands »

go for class 2 then class 1 I did mine in march. started off on 3.5t vans now on class 2 working my way up to class 1 don’t let the old boys put you down. if you wanna do it go for it. I’m only 24 btw so you will get a lot of stick from the old lads some of it helps but most of it is rubbish and will try to scaremonger you. Just remember it’s your license. One last thing revise for your theory! All the best mate.
JameesV2

Post by JameesV2 »

Question is does your bmw have indicators lol .or does your car burst in to flames when you try and use them lol
Ellioce94

Post by Ellioce94 »

JameesV2 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:10 pm Question is does your bmw have indicators lol .or does your car burst in to flames when you try and use them lol
what are they 🧐 😂 never seen that word before 😉
JameesV2

Post by JameesV2 »

Ellioce94 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:11 pm
JameesV2 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:10 pm Question is does your bmw have indicators lol .or does your car burst in to flames when you try and use them lol
what are they 🧐 😂 never seen that word before 😉
lol :lol:
Coxndar

Post by Coxndar »

Do you know how to use the turn signals? 😃 /I have a bmw too/.
Ellioce94

Post by Ellioce94 »

Coxndar wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:12 pm Do you know how to use the turn signals? 😃 /I have a bmw too/.
they were optional extra which my car did not come with 😂
DanDj

Post by DanDj »

Coxndar wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:12 pm Do you know how to use the turn signals? 😃 /I have a bmw too/.
he's a young "lad" so probably not
Danieel

Post by Danieel »

Love this pitch dude, what a guy and a go getter!!!!
Dickinaz

Post by Dickinaz »

Get your licence...i promise you 100% that you will get a job very quickly even whiteout experience..."in this time and age the companies are looking for people to train after theyr mentalities....they can't do that with me after 17 years of driving arctics...they can do it with you...because you haven't seen any other places....
Dickinaz

Post by Dickinaz »

And don't listen...go for class 1... don't waste your time for peanuts
Ellioce94

Post by Ellioce94 »

Honestly can I just say a massive THANKYOU to every one that has taken time to comment. The response is brilliant and it’s given me a few insights about the way to go about things, honestly thanks so much everyone 💙
Cosminno

Post by Cosminno »

Ellioce94 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:15 pm Honestly can I just say a massive THANKYOU to every one that has taken time to comment. The response is brilliant and it’s given me a few insights about the way to go about things, honestly thanks so much everyone 💙
DPD Hinckley does apprenticeship programmed so you can have your licence sorted for free and job assured afterwards. Have a look on their website
Pauflex

Post by Pauflex »

Good pitch young man. I'm a 52 year old who's been in the industry since 1995 when I left the Army, like you I also like may 20 year old car that I've owned for 18 years.
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (398.08 KiB) Viewed 696 times
Ellioce94

Post by Ellioce94 »

Pauflex wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:18 pm Good pitch young man. I'm a 52 year old who's been in the industry since 1995 when I left the Army, like you I also like may 20 year old car that I've owned for 18 years.
Thankyou mate! It’s actually a private reg, she’s a 2011 but still goes well, love your motor, thanks again 🙂
Owendo

Post by Owendo »

Go to Culina Group or one of their company’s, they all take on apprentices often, they’ll put you through all licenses, CPC, pay for all your training and retests. And you’ll be employed full time earning a half decent wage for what you’re doing.
Danieel

Post by Danieel »

Have a look at Brit European, based all over the UK, if you show promise and determination they’ll put you through class 1 training.
DM me, they’ve got an open day this weekend for recruitment
AndyAv

Post by AndyAv »

I live in cov as well, if you wanna pm me company I work for help with licence and accept new drivers.
Great pitch as well..
Ellioce94

Post by Ellioce94 »

AndyAv wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:24 pm I live in cov as well, if you wanna pm me company I work for help with licence and accept new drivers.
Great pitch as well..
I’ll inbox you mate, thankyou
Gabrich

Post by Gabrich »

Thought i was in a lonely hearts column page.
Edwaron

Post by Edwaron »

The first problem you have is no experience. But also your age. Because you are under 25 the medium to small or family run haulage company's will be loathed to take you on because of there insurance policy or it will be state in the insurance policy. The insurance company won't insurance you. The bigger haulage company's will take you on because they can afford the extra costs. There has been a major driver shortage in this country for decades and has steadily got worse. There are a couple of ways of doing your hgv 1 or 2. The first way is to pay for the full course yourself through the government boot camp scheme. But you won't learn anything. You only learn to pass the test. Or sign up to one of the big haulage company's training schools and they pay for all the training. The problem is if you leave you need to pay the money back. The learning starts when you pass your test. So to put into prospective. Ie you are 55 feet long, 8 wide long. The cab of the truck is anywhere from 13.9 feet the height of the trailer is 16 feet. You full weight is either 40 or 44 tons depending on the set up. You are a killing machine.
Tomczar

Post by Tomczar »

Sign up to https://uk.indeed.com/ and https://www.totaljobs.com/ and set up daily job alerts for your area, driver, class 1, 2, 7.5 tonne, delivery driver etc and see what sorts of work is out there. Look out for jobs with "new passes welcome". Is it worth going straight for C+E or go for C and get some experience. I've seen some companies (Muller dairies and Stobart) saying they will pay for upgrade from C to C+E. Good luck!
Mickki80

Post by Mickki80 »

nip over to Poland they will tell you what to do and how to get a license probably cost you £100 they will tell you how to dodge the ir35 which is there own making do that and you'll be quids in lad.no need to thank me 🙂
AronNeo

Post by AronNeo »

Being in Coventry try DHL they are taking on new drivers I started with them in April but up in Yorkshire loving it. Maybe even look at some of the smaller firms near Nuneaton. Foot in door and gain experience. Fowler Welch I think are based out of Nuneaton they are now part of Culina group and they are taking on new passes too
Nathanix

Post by Nathanix »

Chk chicken transport are looking for drivers there in Ross on wye all new volvos too
Leeminn

Post by Leeminn »

You be better trying the bigger firms I know Maritime do a driver buddy thing for 3 month so you learn the job money is ok kit nice and a lot on here will say there crap but they will treat you right and train you the right way this is only advise before all the fellowship jump on this hope all goes well for you
Chapper

Post by Chapper »

Jeez bet your insurance is affordable?
Martonec

Post by Martonec »

Chapper wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:35 pm Jeez bet your insurance is affordable?
they alot cheaper than u think. My Mrs first car was a 320d tourer and cheaper to insure than the zafira 😂
Ellioce94

Post by Ellioce94 »

Chapper wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:35 pm Jeez bet your insurance is affordable?
2011 325d inline 6, for the year fully comp was around 950 I think? Year before was around 1100 with the same car
Natheory

Post by Natheory »

Fair play to you fella. Sounds like you've got a good work attitude, that'll get you a long way mate.
KKevins

Post by KKevins »

Ignore most of the comments, I passed last week and I’m sitting in a class one on my break as I type this 😛 persevere, work is there
Masonex

Post by Masonex »

I'm exactly in the same boat mate. I've my class 2 theory coming up and spend alot of time at shows with my motor. Alot of companies are paying for licenses
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (93.46 KiB) Viewed 672 times
Stevus60

Post by Stevus60 »

Hi, there are some quality firms that will take on new drivers. For some businesses this is a benefit to them. Our company is one of those. We're a global company and we hire, train, help and support new drivers to help get their career up and running.
Keep looking at the bigger firms, such as DHL as an example.
Best of luck to you.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”