Hi guys! I'm looking to start my own business with my own truck (I will drive myself and my friend) is it worth it?

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Garrey

Hi guys! I'm looking to start my own business with my own truck (I will drive myself and my friend) is it worth it?

Post by Garrey »

Hi guys! just serious comments please... I'm looking to start my own business with my own truck (I will drive myself and my friend) is it worth it? any advice? I will appreciate that thanks
Gaborms

Re: Hi guys! I'm looking to start my own business with my own truck (I will drive myself and my friend) is it worth it?

Post by Gaborms »

You will make better money hiring yourself out as a driver. Take a look at the rates and the amount of vehicles stood atm! Lots of companies have vehicles stood. I wish you all the luck but unfortunately the cost of doing this will far out way the benefits. And also friends driving a lot of the time don't work...
Simoon

Re: Hi guys! I'm looking to start my own business with my own truck (I will drive myself and my friend) is it worth it?

Post by Simoon »

Gaborms wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:20 pm You will make better money hiring yourself out as a driver. Take a look at the rates and the amount of vehicles stood atm! Lots of companies have vehicles stood. I wish you all the luck but unfortunately the cost of doing this will far out way the benefits. And also friends driving a lot of the time don't work...
step away from the idea and Invest your £50k in premium bond's until this shit show steadies itself, and if you haven't got £50k to finance your *idea* definitely step back......IMO
Natallin

Post by Natallin »

Get all your cash pile it up and set fire to it, that way u will at least get a warm, way better option
Nicked

Post by Nicked »

Times are hard at the moment in every trade and not just the Uk if it’s something you want to do then do it never have any regrets but just get all you figures right don’t rush in to it you got plenty of time you won’t be a millionaire but it does work well for your future pension I did loved it went through recessions no probs only gave up to follow my dreams elsewhere
Marcom

Post by Marcom »

Not worth setting up at the moment, l have sold 4 trucks looking to sell the last one in a month or so, PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY
Garyoll

Post by Garyoll »

The last 12 to 18months has seen an influx of 🛎️ ends buying trucks and doing the job for £1 per mile so it's dragged the ass out of the money... And works dried up too even manufacturing is slow due to general cost of living and production... Definitely not a good time right now that's for sure.
If/when it sorts itself yes
Nadinty

Post by Nadinty »

Yes, is the best business idea so far 💪💪💪
Ionesco

Post by Ionesco »

I wouldn’t advise it, 3 years in and if I could turn the clock back, would continue to offer driver hire service. Rates are shocking at the moment, taxi’s getting a better pence per mile than trucks! A lot out there struggling to keep wheels turning at a profit.
Leave it awhile, see how the industry is in six months or so, it was an ambition of mine, as many others, but until you actually do it, you don’t realize the massive risk you are undertaking. Good Luck. 👍👍
Mikenn

Post by Mikenn »

Waste of effort at the minute
IonutGo

Post by IonutGo »

Only you can make that decision, but have you seen some of the rates that are being offered, only my personal opinion but I would not have a lorry in a gift now.
Davide

Post by Davide »

Don’t do it keep your hard earned cash and spend it on the wife/ partner 😂
Louisam

Post by Louisam »

Definitely not worth it at the moment
Kentman

Post by Kentman »

If you would like to own a truck, buy a nice one. Every morning get up around 4 am and start it up, let it warm up, then give her 2 or 3 big revs… leave her for a minute and switch her off. Go back in and go to bed for a couple of hours and then get up and go to your regular job… that’s how you have trucks and keep your money…
That’s the advice I got from a man that spent his life owning trucks.
Jacobb

Post by Jacobb »

Have you got any work lined up? If not, you could try being driver for hire...
Binnson

Post by Binnson »

Jacobb wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:37 pm Have you got any work lined up? If not, you could try being driver for hire...
That was the original entry point into ownership (for me at least). I became a Ltd driver and built up 2 or 3 regular clients then told them of my plans to get a truck and they helped me wihh the work but IR35 came and now most people don't have that option.
Plus the Amazon heroes have ruined the job for the rest of us. But in saying that, some owner drivers are thriving especially those with Low loaders (STGO).
Mine only moves a few days a week if the rate is right, instead I go and drive someone else's and trying not to be a busy fool.
Jacobb

Post by Jacobb »

Binnson wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:38 pm
Jacobb wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:37 pm Have you got any work lined up? If not, you could try being driver for hire...
That was the original entry point into ownership (for me at least). I became a Ltd driver and built up 2 or 3 regular clients then told them of my plans to get a truck and they helped me wihh the work but IR35 came and now most people don't have that option.
Plus the Amazon heroes have ruined the job for the rest of us. But in saying that, some owner drivers are thriving especially those with Low loaders (STGO).
Mine only moves a few days a week if the rate is right, instead I go and drive someone else's and trying not to be a busy fool.
I run a merc van, have some good subbies, and occasionally drive for one of my customers in a hired truck for live events, driver only. IR35 doesn't affect me at all. The money is what I make it, if I am away over night its a day rate, even if I only drive from Leeds to London and unload. Following day is a full day rate as well
Binnson

Post by Binnson »

Jacobb wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:39 pm
I run a merc van, have some good subbies, and occasionally drive for one of my customers in a hired truck for live events, driver only. IR35 doesn't affect me at all. The money is what I make it, if I am away over night its a day rate, even if I only drive from Leeds to London and unload. Following day is a full day rate as well
Live events is the way to go. Busy most of the year. And relatively clean work.
Jacobb

Post by Jacobb »

Binnson wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:41 pm
Jacobb wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:39 pm

Live events is the way to go. Busy most of the year. And relatively clean work.
got one tomorrow 3 hours work in the morning 8 - 11.. collect again at 23.00 finished for 1 am.. full day rate, drive about 6 miles in total
Daniford

Post by Daniford »

You'll be competing against eastern European hauliers that somehow are able to work for next to nothing, some of the rates out there are truly shocking.
Tomczar

Post by Tomczar »

No definitely not, your mad. No work, no rates, and everyone after your ass
Roberro

Post by Roberro »

Get everything arranged, CPC, operating centre, O licence in place etc and then when things pick up you’re ready to roll if you still want to. It can take several months to get to the point to be able to even run a truck.
Alannett

Post by Alannett »

Don't waste your time. And it will be hard getting 2wages out of it believe me you will be working for the truck and the galore of saying I am own driver
RobertBe

Post by RobertBe »

Short answer definitely not. But if you have work lined up and got plenty of cash then yes give it a go
Jezanya

Post by Jezanya »

I agree with all the comments as I started last year just as everything skyrocketed in price and the haulage industry then want to slash the rates. It’s a hard all game.
DDavens

Post by DDavens »

Paddy Doug has an advice tipper long comes to mind
Thomasso

Post by Thomasso »

Good job been a owner driver 50 years ago when when loyalty was the main factor vosa and police was helpful they would get their hands dirty to get you going but today they do the best to get to fine you you better off working for aldi today
Mikeen02

Post by Mikeen02 »

No just keep your money and enjoy yourself
ScottSo

Post by ScottSo »

Not worth It in any way shape or form. Be better off becoming a meth head than getting your own truck
Trevoss

Post by Trevoss »

Keep your money in your pocket unless you want to loose it
Timefer

Post by Timefer »

Absolutely not. Keep as you are.
McCoeyer

Post by McCoeyer »

No. Better money stacking shelves.
However..I have a friend who has a couple of small buses. He is earning good money hauling people instead of goods. Think about that.
Excursions and concerts, events football etc.
Stuardd

Post by Stuardd »

I normally tell people to go for it, but I’d genuinely sit tight for now! The industry is is a strange place just now. To many people forced to work for nothing just to survive.
Klynnex

Post by Klynnex »

The best way to become a millionaire is to buy your own truck.... but you need to be a billionaire at the start!
Chrisem

Post by Chrisem »

It is worth it if you put your mind to it plenty of companies looking for sub contractors don't bother with fuel cards atm tho
Kevnett

Post by Kevnett »

Chrisem wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:12 pm It is worth it if you put your mind to it plenty of companies looking for sub contractors don't bother with fuel cards atm tho
not seen any company looking for subbies recently. Noticed a lot of EU owner drivers selling up. Normally when work goes quite you can jump on containers or ferry trailers no chance of that at the moment
Dewanyagen

Post by Dewanyagen »

Hey Garrey,
Starting your own trucking business can be a rewarding journey. It's hard work, but it's worth it if you're committed. My friend and I did the same, and it's been a great experience. Just make sure to plan well using task management software for small business, consider costs, and stay dedicated. Good luck with your venture!

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”