As a person just starting out in the world of self employed courier driving I'm trying to get my feet off the ground

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
darry_dino

As a person just starting out in the world of self employed courier driving I'm trying to get my feet off the ground

Post by darry_dino »

As a person just starting out in the world of self employed courier driving I'm trying to get my feet off the ground as was wondering if I could ask you more experienced guys if you could help me with some tips that would benefit a newbie?
The help and advice would be hugely appreciated
Thanks in advance
gardnespirit

Re: As a person just starting out in the world of self employed courier driving I'm trying to get my feet off the ground

Post by gardnespirit »

What makes you / made you want to do it?
RoMedium

Re: As a person just starting out in the world of self employed courier driving I'm trying to get my feet off the ground

Post by RoMedium »

gardnespirit wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:17 am What makes you / made you want to do it?
he wants to be a major player like you
darry_dino

Post by darry_dino »

gardnespirit wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:17 am What makes you / made you want to do it?
I enjoy driving, I like vans, I hate working for other people, I enjoy my own company and I have a family to support
redF88

Post by redF88 »

darry_dino wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:19 am
I enjoy driving, I like vans, I hate working for other people, I enjoy my own company and I have a family to support
make sure you have enough in the bank as you won’t get paid for 2 months from some companies
light_BC

Post by light_BC »

Therefore you are perfect to apply to a company to drive for them as a courier no outlay from yourself PAYE the bit about I hate working for other people is no excuse to be self employed when your customers say jump in this job You say how high no difference than an employer but at the end of the month your money is in the bank as a self employed courier you have to jump over more hurdles ringing round trying to be diplomatic to get the hard earned money you worked for obviously not all your customers are the same but it’s another lesson in self employment
Catrysc

Post by Catrysc »

light_BC wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:21 am Therefore you are perfect to apply to a company to drive for them as a courier no outlay from yourself PAYE the bit about I hate working for other people is no excuse to be self employed when your customers say jump in this job You say how high no difference than an employer but at the end of the month your money is in the bank as a self employed courier you have to jump over more hurdles ringing round trying to be diplomatic to get the hard earned money you worked for obviously not all your customers are the same but it’s another lesson in self employment
only if you allow them! 9
gramest01

Post by gramest01 »

light_BC wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:21 am Therefore you are perfect to apply to a company to drive for them as a courier no outlay from yourself PAYE the bit about I hate working for other people is no excuse to be self employed when your customers say jump in this job You say how high no difference than an employer but at the end of the month your money is in the bank as a self employed courier you have to jump over more hurdles ringing round trying to be diplomatic to get the hard earned money you worked for obviously not all your customers are the same but it’s another lesson in self employment
this is total nonsense about working for yourself and the customer wanting a good price 🤣🤦‍♂️. Self employed you decide what to accept or not, how little or how much to work, or even if your going to pull the occasional sneaky… there was heavy traffic/my van has broken down , or I’ll do it on Sunday, so you can enjoy those family times or sunny days etc would 1000% go self employed couriering over working for some one couriering… as then from pure laziness you are losing out on pure profit for someone to find work for you and take a cut for sitting on their arse.
Ste2va

Post by Ste2va »

Dont go lower than 1.50 a load mile
And dont waste your money, life etc on CX
darry_dino

Post by darry_dino »

Ste2va wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:23 am Dont go lower than 1.50 a load mile
what's wrong with CX? What are the alternatives?
Ste2va

Post by Ste2va »

darry_dino wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:24 am
own subcontractors
Go-add yourself-try to get direct client
Ste2va

Post by Ste2va »

I was starting from nothing 7 yrs ago
Dont give up but if you want work @ CX
Work for me i can give you 1£ per mile if you got XLWB
Ste2va

Post by Ste2va »

Just example
anttarc30

Post by anttarc30 »

No buddy offer 1.50 lwb van
Ste2va

Post by Ste2va »

anttarc30 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:25 am
i just gave example and the reality is that most drivers go for 0.90p per milr even
anttarc30

Post by anttarc30 »

Ste2va wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:25 am
i just gave example and the reality is that most drivers go for 0.90p per milr even
yes m8 you right some of less then 90pence
PetGet

Post by PetGet »

anttarc30 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:26 am

before customers was looking for good feedback and experience… now most of them looking for less than £1 per mile…
And many drivers agree but not me!!!!!
anttarc30

Post by anttarc30 »

PetGet wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:27 am
anttarc30 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:26 am

before customers was looking for good feedback and experience… now most of them looking for less than £1 per mile…
And many drivers agree but not me!!!!!
It's not worth it m8
Nic=nics

Post by Nic=nics »

exactly ,
I use to have 90.pence 2 years before covid then realized is rip off and is not worthy so left. Today prices of fuel are much higher so guys don't work for that money or you bring home nothing.
mikMice

Post by mikMice »

best advise is not to use courier market
anttarc30

Post by anttarc30 »

mikMice wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:28 am
courier exchange as well
adaMon44

Post by adaMon44 »

anttarc30 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:29 am
mikMice wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:28 am
courier exchange as well
how do you intend to find loads
darry_dino

Post by darry_dino »

WhitNan wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:30 am You need to buy good van
I have a good van lol
ivaNova50

Post by ivaNova50 »

ask yourself what you want from it. Is it a stop gap, is it a genuine career, do you want to run a haulage business. The answer to each of these is completely different and will change the advice you need mate
darry_dino

Post by darry_dino »

ivaNova50 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:31 am ask yourself what you want from it. Is it a stop gap, is it a genuine career, do you want to run a haulage business. The answer to each of these is completely different and will change the advice you need mate
definitely not a stopgap I want to grow this business and also vehicle recovery as I want to buy, sell, scrap cars too
ivaNova50

Post by ivaNova50 »

darry_dino wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:32 am
ivaNova50 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:31 am ask yourself what you want from it. Is it a stop gap, is it a genuine career, do you want to run a haulage business. The answer to each of these is completely different and will change the advice you need mate
definitely not a stopgap I want to grow this business and also vehicle recovery as I want to buy, sell, scrap cars too
then have a look at trade plating. Get your own set of trade plates, approach dealerships about providing services for them direct. That would be my shout, speak to Global vehicle hire. They do a lot of movement and don’t advertise work, you may be able to sub for them and get yourself going that way
darry_dino

Post by darry_dino »

ivaNova50 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:32 am
darry_dino wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:32 am
then have a look at trade plating. Get your own set of trade plates, approach dealerships about providing services for them direct. That would be my shout, speak to Global vehicle hire. They do a lot of movement and don’t advertise work, you may be able to sub for them and get yourself going that way
its something I've looked into briefly and might have an ask around
light_BC

Post by light_BC »

Hi been at it 1 way or another for 38 years it has never been tougher than it is at the moment everyone thinks self employed courier work is the easiest job in the world I can assure you that self employment is hard enough in the current climate never mind the other aspects of courier work rising. Costs cheaper rate cuts vehicle downtime issues even with dealer workshops even long standing customers slowing payment terms not being disrespectful but just because you have a van shiny hi vis and sat nav doesn’t make you a courier
My advice would be use your van to get to work at a large supermarket chain doing there deliveries for 12 months see how you go don’t forget PAYE benefits with this job see how you go learn all the skills you need first at someone else’s expense before you blow all your own money then realise the pitfalls the hard way
But if your determination to carry on as a self employed courier good luck for the future it’s a roller coaster
darry_dino

Post by darry_dino »

light_BC wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:34 am Hi been at it 1 way or another for 38 years it has never been tougher than it is at the moment everyone thinks self employed courier work is the easiest job in the world I can assure you that self employment is hard enough in the current climate never mind the other aspects of courier work rising. Costs cheaper rate cuts vehicle downtime issues even with dealer workshops even long standing customers slowing payment terms not being disrespectful but just because you have a van shiny hi vis and sat nav doesn’t make you a courier
My advice would be use your van to get to work at a large supermarket chain doing there deliveries for 12 months see how you go don’t forget PAYE benefits with this job see how you go learn all the skills you need first at someone else’s expense before you blow all your own money then realise the pitfalls the hard way
But if your determination to carry on as a self employed courier good luck for the future it’s a roller coaster
I know that buddy if it was easy I wouldn't be here asking for advice but I'm serious about what I want to do I understand paying tax etc
I've got work with amazon but predominantly but fancy doing other things on the side of that
cowelfa61

Post by cowelfa61 »

CX is a useful tool, I would say price depends on Van, but LWB, stay around or above 1.20 a loaded mile.
SteLin

Post by SteLin »

Drive for someone you will make more money and have a wage each week and no hassle
mar#onixio

Post by mar#onixio »

Don’t charge silly prices just becuase of the “going rate” people say in here. They are just lazy. If you want to build a route to make £300 a day… don’t go I. Quoting everyone at £1.50 per mile… when if you know your going from a-b and can secure a £50-£60 job that only adds 20 minutes onto your trip. Don’t be greedy and you will get all the work in the world. Customers and businesses are not stupid. And won’t pay you £200 to drive 200 miles for one item with the rest of the van half empty when they know you are already being paid £200 to drive 180 of those miles already. Do this, and you won’t have to waste your time even looking for work, people will just call you instead. On a side note we have 5-10 jobs per week heading round the country drop me a message if interested.
darry_dino

Post by darry_dino »

mar#onixio wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:36 am Don’t charge silly prices just becuase of the “going rate” people say in here. They are just lazy. If you want to build a route to make £300 a day… don’t go I. Quoting everyone at £1.50 per mile… when if you know your going from a-b and can secure a £50-£60 job that only adds 20 minutes onto your trip. Don’t be greedy and you will get all the work in the world. Customers and businesses are not stupid. And won’t pay you £200 to drive 200 miles for one item with the rest of the van half empty when they know you are already being paid £200 to drive 180 of those miles already. Do this, and you won’t have to waste your time even looking for work, people will just call you instead. On a side note we have 5-10 jobs per week heading round the country drop me a message if interested.
I'm definitely interested and you make a very good point
joh.Gree

Post by joh.Gree »

darry_dino wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:36 am
mar#onixio wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:36 am Don’t charge silly prices just becuase of the “going rate” people say in here. They are just lazy. If you want to build a route to make £300 a day… don’t go I. Quoting everyone at £1.50 per mile… when if you know your going from a-b and can secure a £50-£60 job that only adds 20 minutes onto your trip. Don’t be greedy and you will get all the work in the world. Customers and businesses are not stupid. And won’t pay you £200 to drive 200 miles for one item with the rest of the van half empty when they know you are already being paid £200 to drive 180 of those miles already. Do this, and you won’t have to waste your time even looking for work, people will just call you instead. On a side note we have 5-10 jobs per week heading round the country drop me a message if interested.
I'm definitely interested and you make a very good point
who would I give say cards to if I decided to do this which sort of companies I wouldn't know where to start
robrsco77

Post by robrsco77 »

Worst thing you could've done was ask all these miserable c**ts. They'll just try and put you down pal. Find your way and I hope it works out for you mate, good luck 👍 👏
BriBrio

Post by BriBrio »

Don't ask field manager for advice
Iansen85

Post by Iansen85 »

When it's good it's great. When it's bad it's fucking awful.
Sadly good has been a bit thin on the ground over the last couple of years.
ala_moon

Post by ala_moon »

1 Get good fuel cards 3/4 and just use the cheapest that week Applegreen is normally the cheapest
2 use cx to fill in the gaps don’t quote silly and you will make some good contacts on there
3 get in with some local people that use vans
4 never go to two vans that’s when you get hard work because drivers are a pain in the arse
Good luck buddy it’s not easy but it can be done
ChrKix

Post by ChrKix »

Where you based?
If ever you're passing Halifax we have multi drop work Nationwide.
darry_dino

Post by darry_dino »

ChrKix wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:44 am Where you based?
Walsall bud if I'm ever there I'll drop you a line
Thankyou 👌
ColCoin

Post by ColCoin »

darry_dino wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:44 am
Walsall bud if I'm ever there I'll drop you a line
Thankyou 👌
perfect tie in with us in barnsley when you pass 👌
ColCoin

Post by ColCoin »

hi just wondering what sort of things you have delivered, and do you fill a van in one go and send to multiple locations or send a few items a week on peoples routes they are already building? Based in barnsley with 5-10 jobs going per week and always looking for couriers that are passing to slot jobs into their routes and wondering if you have contacts who may be interested in taking the odd job from Barnsley when passing towards or back from Halifax thanks 😊

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”