Good evening everyone Any advice for a newly qualified TM where to start? Any agencies/companies to join, where they

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
PaGooble

Good evening everyone Any advice for a newly qualified TM where to start? Any agencies/companies to join, where they

Post by PaGooble »

Good evening everyone,
Any advice for a newly qualified TM where to start?
Any agencies/companies to join, where they can find you work, something like that?
Thank you
CarUnow

Re: Good evening everyone Any advice for a newly qualified TM where to start? Any agencies/companies to join, where they

Post by CarUnow »

Good Evening, firstly, congratulations, secondly look on the job boards, take a sme company, looking for a first line/ assistant/Jnr T.M, shift manager cut your teeth accordingly for 1 or 2 years then take the leap of faith.
Good luck.
albMurphy

Re: Good evening everyone Any advice for a newly qualified TM where to start? Any agencies/companies to join, where they

Post by albMurphy »

Try and look for an internal job, or Transport planning role, something that has experienced people around to give advice when needed
Johyshand

Post by Johyshand »

Congrats, I've dropped you a message bud
PaGooble

Post by PaGooble »

Johyshand wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:15 pm Congrats, I've dropped you a message bud
Thank you, I live in Gloucester
yorGood

Post by yorGood »

Congratulations! Where are you based?
PaGooble

Post by PaGooble »

yorGood wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:16 pm Congratulations! Where are you based?
Gloucester
yorGood

Post by yorGood »

PaGooble wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:17 pm
Gloucester
a bit far from me. If you have experience in transport sector and if you will attend constantly seminars I am sure you will manage to keep up as TM. Is good if you can find someone to let you being his shadow few months…
PaGooble

Post by PaGooble »

yorGood wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:17 pm
PaGooble wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:17 pm
Gloucester
a bit far from me. If you have experience in transport sector and if you will attend constantly seminars I am sure you will manage to keep up as TM. Is good if you can find someone to let you being his shadow few months…
I’m a class 1 driver, I did work for 2 days a week along side my manager, however nothing official therefore I can’t prove I have “some” experience in the field, many employers are looking for proven records and years of experience 😔
antfman02

Post by antfman02 »

Starting point is to accept that the qualification teaches you almost nothing of what you need to know to do the day job 😃
Also, accept that your good repute is vulnerable to those unscrupulous operators who simply want a name on a piece of paper and who will take advantage of your inexperience, with no thought of the cost to you. Ideally, you need the guidance of someone who is actually doing the job.
If you don't know where to start to find someone, here's an alternative to what most other people will suggest: Find a Compliance Provider who offers ETMs to companies in need. I'm not saying they'll give you any work, but they may be able to have you shadow some of their guys while they're working, potentially that might lead to paid work too.
Excuse the shouting but: AVOID BROKERS AT ALL COSTS! The type of people you see advertising in these FB groups. They'll rip you off and leave you in the lurch with no back up.
PaGooble

Post by PaGooble »

antfman02 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:18 pm Starting point is to accept that the qualification teaches you almost nothing of what you need to know to do the day job 😃
Also, accept that your good repute is vulnerable to those unscrupulous operators who simply want a name on a piece of paper and who will take advantage of your inexperience, with no thought of the cost to you. Ideally, you need the guidance of someone who is actually doing the job.
If you don't know where to start to find someone, here's an alternative to what most other people will suggest: Find a Compliance Provider who offers ETMs to companies in need. I'm not saying they'll give you any work, but they may be able to have you shadow some of their guys while they're working, potentially that might lead to paid work too.
Excuse the shouting but: AVOID BROKERS AT ALL COSTS! The type of people you see advertising in these FB groups. They'll rip you off and leave you in the lurch with no back up.
thank you

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”