Hi all, Looking for some opinions, failed my test today for awareness and planning because a car couldn't turn out

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
KinMars34

Hi all, Looking for some opinions, failed my test today for awareness and planning because a car couldn't turn out

Post by KinMars34 »

Hi all, Looking for some opinions, failed my test today for awareness and planning because a car couldn't turn out of the filter lane which caused the traffic behind it to back up, I have added a diagram that best describes what happened.
I am struggling to see what else I could have done apart from waiting almost 200ft back from the queued traffic as when I came to a stop I kept a good distance from the vehicle in front, didn't cross the line into opposite lanes and there was no oncoming traffic until I had been stopped for a good few minutes.
The red car's position is a small filter lane into a café car park that a car could reasonably enter without causing issues as long as the vehicle isn't angled like shown.
Attachments
Image.png
Image.png (1.08 MiB) Viewed 511 times
RicMatter

Re: Hi all, Looking for some opinions, failed my test today for awareness and planning because a car couldn't turn out

Post by RicMatter »

That is the best option, to stay back and keep the junctions clear until there is enough space. Road layouts like this are difficult in an artic.
KinMars34

Re: Hi all, Looking for some opinions, failed my test today for awareness and planning because a car couldn't turn out

Post by KinMars34 »

RicMatter wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:18 pm That is the best option, to stay back and keep the junctions clear until there is enough space. Road layouts like this are difficult in an artic.
thought so, my instructor was a bit surprised as we had went along that road every lesson and there had never been a car turning in and the car park gates had always been closed but it’s luck of the draw
adrMind

Post by adrMind »

KinMars34 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:18 pm
RicMatter wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:18 pm That is the best option, to stay back and keep the junctions clear until there is enough space. Road layouts like this are difficult in an artic.
thought so, my instructor was a bit surprised as we had went along that road every lesson and there had never been a car turning in and the car park gates had always been closed but it’s luck of the draw
Don’t take it personally, you wanted to keep in the flow, but especially on test, you must be considerate!! You’ll be fine next time, good luck fella 🤞
RicMatter

Post by RicMatter »

KinMars34 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:18 pm
Good luck for next time mate.
Iaformon

Post by Iaformon »

So we’re you waiting where the white HGV is in the picture going towards the bottom of the picture?
KinMars34

Post by KinMars34 »

Iaformon wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:24 pm So we’re you waiting where the white HGV is in the picture going towards the bottom of the picture?
yes, I was turning just after the chimney
Iaformon

Post by Iaformon »

KinMars34 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:24 pm
Iaformon wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:24 pm So we’re you waiting where the white HGV is in the picture going towards the bottom of the picture?
yes, I was turning just after the chimney
I’m afraid then as said you should have hung back (before the turning before) and waited. As said sadly many roads are planned with little thought to large vehicles.
My one piece of advice for next time is this. You have 1 hour to show what you can do. If you are held up by traffic for 5 minutes of that then there is only 55 minutes where they can mark you down. If you are going to cause someone to take action or not be able to reasonably take action then it isn’t safe to do.
thrmeden01

Post by thrmeden01 »

Harsh. But you should’ve held back, hence the planning. Time the light sequence, if it’s just turned green, you’ll know it’ll go red in 12-15seconds. Harsh though. I’ve been failed for taking 2 feet too much space taking a left out of the test centre. Complained and got my money back lol
thrmeden01

Post by thrmeden01 »

Tbf you’ve got a case for refund atleast mate. You could’ve been stopping before the red car indicated to turn into the car park…
keiKeyman

Post by keiKeyman »

thrmeden01 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:25 pm Tbf you’ve got a case for refund atleast mate. You could’ve been stopping before the red car indicated to turn into the car park…
refund! In your dreams!
KinMars34

Post by KinMars34 »

thrmeden01 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:25 pm Tbf you’ve got a case for refund atleast mate. You could’ve been stopping before the red car indicated to turn into the car park…
Why would I even try and get a refund when it was down to my own fault?
thrmeden01

Post by thrmeden01 »

KinMars34 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:27 pm
Why would I even try and get a refund when it was down to my own fault?
sorry mate, you sounded like you felt hard done by. Don’t then lol
GreGreed

Post by GreGreed »

You’ve blocked the junction mate so should’ve held back until it was clear in front and then gone
indengo25

Post by indengo25 »

GreGreed wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:28 pm You’ve blocked the junction mate so should’ve held back until it was clear in front and then gone
since when have all car park entrances had invisible keep clear markings?
ConHart

Post by ConHart »

I love these posts where learner drivers think they know better than the examiner.
KinMars34

Post by KinMars34 »

ConHart wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:29 pm I love these posts where learner drivers think they know better than the examiner.
I never said I did know better, I asked for opinions on what people would have done. I am fully aware that it is my own fault I failed and the examiner did her job by failing me for that
KinMars34

Post by KinMars34 »

ConHart wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:29 pm I love these posts where learner drivers think they know better than the examiner.
if that is how you understood my post then please let me know how to rephrase it. Unfortunately my examiner didn’t tell me what I should have actually done, just that I failed for awareness and planning due to this
marKnight

Post by marKnight »

I love these posts where people like you can't interpret what's been said and make a total arse of themselves. Well done 👏👏👏
HerZine

Post by HerZine »

Attachments
Photo.jpg
Photo.jpg (42.44 KiB) Viewed 481 times
Joricheq

Post by Joricheq »

I got warned a few times for doing it on lessons you can only get away with it if nothing wants to turn even if it pulls up after you stop still stopping progress of another vehicle. I made sure I didn’t even block driveways on my test
hinHive

Post by hinHive »

Best advice let it go. No point dwelling it will just annoy you! Stay calm and go for it again. It’s mostly about luck on the day mate better luck next time
BevViking

Post by BevViking »

Recently passed but failed on planning on another test. Keep going you’ll get there.
gosling36

Post by gosling36 »

Yea, you got it in the post. Stay back. Your miles away from the lights anyway so you're probs not getting through this cycle - but even if you do you're far enough away to close up on the car ahead when the lights change before it sets off.
Don't block junctions/keep clear markings or hashed boxes 👍
MigYoung

Post by MigYoung »

Hard luck mate you should have hung back before the junction until you had enough room to clear it and not course any hold up for traffic turning right. You will remember next time and pass‼
indengo25

Post by indengo25 »

Where do they draw the line? Would you get failed for planning and awareness if you block a driveway? Very unlucky in my opinion.
karKans

Post by karKans »

indengo25 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:36 pm Where do they draw the line? Would you get failed for planning and awareness if you block a driveway? Very unlucky in my opinion.
I believe you can if a car wants to get out of said driveway, if nothing then it's fine.
KinMars34

Post by KinMars34 »

indengo25 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:36 pm Where do they draw the line? Would you get failed for planning and awareness if you block a driveway? Very unlucky in my opinion.
I was told If you are told by the examiner to stop on the side of the road they will say whether to ignore driveways or not, if they say to ignore them and then you block someone getting in or out that isn't your fault and you won't get marked for it.
indengo25

Post by indengo25 »

KinMars34 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:37 pm
I was told If you are told by the examiner to stop on the side of the road they will say whether to ignore driveways or not, if they say to ignore them and then you block someone getting in or out that isn't your fault and you won't get marked for it.
I don't think that's the manoeuvre OP was making. Failed for "blocking" an entrance to a car park in an approach to lights when there's no markings to say he can't is daft in my opinion.
KinMars34

Post by KinMars34 »

indengo25 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:37 pm
I don't think that's the manoeuvre OP was making. Failed for "blocking" an entrance to a car park in an approach to lights when there's no markings to say he can't is daft in my opinion.
My understanding was that because there was no keep clear or any junction markings I could go through
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (208.24 KiB) Viewed 467 times
indengo25

Post by indengo25 »

KinMars34 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:38 pm

My understanding was that because there was no keep clear or any junction markings I could go through
yeah in the real world that's exactly what you'd have done, but some examiners don't live in the real world it seems
NiaNieve

Post by NiaNieve »

yeah o had that I waiting for him to say don't worry about blocking the drive...
indengo25

Post by indengo25 »

NiaNieve wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:41 pm

yeah o had that I waiting for him to say don't worry about blocking the drive...
end of the day mate of that's all you failed on then you should feel confident going in to the retest. If it makes you feel better I failed on the reverse my first go at class 1 years ago 😂
darystai50

Post by darystai50 »

Showed post to pal he is dvla examiner, he said blocked junction & should held back & says he would have probably gave you verbal instructions & called it a major & also made comment most guys let 1st situation like this a tick & then they will put you in same situation see how you deal with it they know we are you human.
But my honest opinion is you should see it as private driving lesson with honest update & instead of bleeting on get on do it again, learning curve you failed accept it & if you fail next time its not trade for yourself.
Call me harsh but I would say your car to artic which is hard to take on no prior experience just few days in cab don't cut it for me, but I believe experience earned not given & this is major problem & only people rubbing hands is hgv skools, like your trainer they don't want you to pass 1st time 2nd time yes 3rd time its joke for them looks bad for them & they know your result will be fail as your blame situations.
But some times its best to say nothing all my opinions are free take as you find but most drives will think same.
hodessein

Post by hodessein »

No hatch markings, or anything to say no stopping?
If not then I would of done the same 🤷🏻‍♂️
JoerZoom

Post by JoerZoom »

Just the luck of the draw I think. Tester TOLD me to pull over and when I said there is x3 driveways there he replied ‘we will be pulling off straightaway again’, he then gave me a minor for not properly checking a side road behind me on the opposite side before pulling off again.
TREE234

Post by TREE234 »

Hi I just passed on Wednesday . But failed twice before . Once for slowing a car up on a roundabout that looked clear when i moved off car came from nowhere . And another for not letting car turn out of a junction that I turned into and clipped curb my own silly mistake . But you just go again and learn from it . 3rd time passed I just gave way to nearly everything nearly and paid alot attention to making sure I didn't block anything . Any way good look for next time .

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”