Hi all, want some advice, I had my 3rd test and I failed again. Its more my nerves getting the better of me.

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
TamNeko

Hi all, want some advice, I had my 3rd test and I failed again. Its more my nerves getting the better of me.

Post by TamNeko »

Hi all, want some advice, I had my 3rd test and I failed again. Its more my nerves getting the better of me. Instructor says I'm a good driver but on test I go to pieces. I've had same examiner on all 3 tests. I've tried rescue remedy, even a banana!! Its the test conditions that get me! I was fine before and as soon as examiner came and started show me tell me, my nerves kick in!! Can anyone give me any tips its only the driving test I need to complete TIA
MikMore

Re: Hi all, want some advice, I had my 3rd test and I failed again. Its more my nerves getting the better of me.

Post by MikMore »

Don’t let it beat you
veaepti55

Re: Hi all, want some advice, I had my 3rd test and I failed again. Its more my nerves getting the better of me.

Post by veaepti55 »

Book a test at a different test CTR?
shunnzo8

Post by shunnzo8 »

veaepti55 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:14 am Book a test at a different test CTR?
good shout. Was just gonna say the same Hope it works out for you TamNeko.
KyRavager

Post by KyRavager »

Try beater blocks I did and they work a treat from the chemist
AndScoop

Post by AndScoop »

If you're okay with the lessons, then treat the test like another lesson
TamNeko

Post by TamNeko »

AndScoop wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:19 am If you're okay with the lessons, then treat the test like another lesson
if only it was that simple!!
GraRacing

Post by GraRacing »

Have a shot of whiskey and a spliff. 🤣
Good luck next one mate.
TamNeko

Post by TamNeko »

GraRacing wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:20 am Have a shot of whiskey and a spliff. 🤣
Good luck next one mate.
your not the first to suggest that lol
GraRacing

Post by GraRacing »

TamNeko wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:20 am
GraRacing wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:20 am Have a shot of whiskey and a spliff. 🤣
Good luck next one mate.
your not the first to suggest that lol
🤣🤣🤣
eddpeed70

Post by eddpeed70 »

You can do it mate just try again..
TamNeko

Post by TamNeko »

eddpeed70 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:21 am You can do it mate just try again..
thanks mate.
jaiCinco

Post by jaiCinco »

A good examiner should start a relaxing conversation and just drive and relax and enjoy the drive
Daancyat5

Post by Daancyat5 »

I heard something years ago about eating a banana before you go out I've done it 3 times and passed first time ??
irvvering02

Post by irvvering02 »

My examiner talked and talked all the way through, I had his whole life story, I reckon it helped put me at ease a lot.. If you're examiner isn't chatty, you do the talking and encourage them to engage
LiaNicer

Post by LiaNicer »

irvvering02 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:27 am My examiner talked and talked all the way through, I had his whole life story, I reckon it helped put me at ease a lot.. If you're examiner isn't chatty, you do the talking and encourage them to engage
great point. I done that i kept asking him questions engaging conversation it helped make it less intimidating and more casual.
ShaDarth

Post by ShaDarth »

That’s some money each time to re-test
todgamax8

Post by todgamax8 »

Just look at him As any other instructor not as an examiner.
patBabixz

Post by patBabixz »

Take a couple of kam tablets 20 mins before test that will settle you down honest
ClaClique

Post by ClaClique »

I took ‘Kalms’ before my 2nd test. Seemed to settle me down. 🤷🏻‍♀️
merMurr

Post by merMurr »

I think you've answered your own concerns with regards your nerves getting the best of you.
Everyone on here would have suffered from this come test time, so the 1st thing to remember is you are not alone.
Try and calm yourself and remember that the examiner is looking for safety rather than an all round excellent drive allowances are made for this.
And ffs don't give up. You are too far down your journey to turn back.
Be strong, you'll be fine. 🙂
SarFarer

Post by SarFarer »

Ask yourself what is the worse that can happen and tell the examiner what has gone wrong before in your opinion, take lots of deep breaths and just drive
brolandan

Post by brolandan »

Take Kalms tablets before hand
Marppar43

Post by Marppar43 »

Take a valium :lol: but seriously mate good luck focus on the exam
rusnett96

Post by rusnett96 »

Marppar43 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:44 am Take a valium :lol: but seriously mate good luck focus on the exam
Two blues should do the trick 👍👍👍
ByaClaw

Post by ByaClaw »

Nerves are perfectly normal. Everyone has them when put in test conditions. But that’s okay.
The issue you are having is you’re focussing on the feeling nervous, rather than the actual driving. Taking meds and eating certain things is only treating the symptoms.
I’d strongly suggest looking at a technique called mindfulness and grounding. It’s all about focusing on the task and gently pushing the unwanted thoughts to the side. I’ve used it a lot for learners in your position and it really works.
pacain22

Post by pacain22 »

Long deep breaths for about 20 seconds just before the test is due to start and continue with deep breathing throughout the test. Helped me.. good luck
Jonn4me

Post by Jonn4me »

Try telling yourself you've failed a couple of minutes into the test so you might aswell relax and enjoy the drive. It worked for me, way back in the mists of time, was sure I'd failed a couple of days running up to my test, passed it sure I'd failed.
rusnett96

Post by rusnett96 »

Jonn4me wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:57 am Try telling yourself you've failed a couple of minutes into the test so you might aswell relax and enjoy the drive. It worked for me, way back in the mists of time, was sure I'd failed a couple of days running up to my test, passed it sure I'd failed.
I thought id clipped a curb a few minutes into my test and was certain I'd failed. The pressure was off straight away and drove almost flawlessly there after. Absolutely amazed when he congratulated me on passing my test lol. So yeah absolutely in agreement if you can convince yourself you've f**ked it you'd be surprised how much the pressure lifts.
greHipurr

Post by greHipurr »

Jonn4me wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:57 am Try telling yourself you've failed a couple of minutes into the test so you might aswell relax and enjoy the drive. It worked for me, way back in the mists of time, was sure I'd failed a couple of days running up to my test, passed it sure I'd failed.
good advice 👍 when I was on my second test I hit the kerb twice! The first was only just around the corner from the test station in Chelmsford and was because another learner in a truck cut the corner making me move over in avoidance but I had quickly checked my mirror first then about 10 minutes later driving through Stock there was a blind left bend in the road as I got to it a car came round half across the 'unbroken' white line making me mount the kerb again in avoidance 😱 I thought oh bollocks definitely failed now so just thought fuck it and totally relaxed 🙄..... Passed with flying colours 👍. I did ask the examiner about the 2 incidents and she said both were caused by the other drivers bad driving and that she observed that both times I had checked my near side was clear and safe first 👍
Jonn4me

Post by Jonn4me »

greHipurr wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:59 am
good advice 👍 when I was on my second test I hit the kerb twice! The first was only just around the corner from the test station in Chelmsford and was because another learner in a truck cut the corner making me move over in avoidance but I had quickly checked my mirror first then about 10 minutes later driving through Stock there was a blind left bend in the road as I got to it a car came round half across the 'unbroken' white line making me mount the kerb again in avoidance 😱 I thought oh bollocks definitely failed now so just thought fuck it and totally relaxed 🙄..... Passed with flying colours 👍. I did ask the examiner about the 2 incidents and she said both were caused by the other drivers bad driving and that she observed that both times I had checked my near side was clear and safe first 👍
my test was in 82 you had a gearchange exercise ,using every gear up through the box and back down,
I was used to a 4 over 4 volvo and did my test in the driving school D series with 6 speed gate. Missed 3rd going up and 4th coming down, thought bollocks, failed so relaxed and drove normal, had an unscheduled emergency stop when a car pulled out in front of me, by the time the examiner got himself sorted ( no seat belts then in trucks ) I'd had the handbrake on , picked gear to go, checked mirrors and set off again. Got back to the test station, 2 highway code questions, a coupling up question ( I was thinking why are you doing this? Just give me the fail sheet ) then the congrats you've passed, could have fanned me with a kipper 1 st attempt.
greHipurr

Post by greHipurr »

Jonn4me wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:00 am
my test was in 82 you had a gearchange exercise ,using every gear up through the box and back down,
I was used to a 4 over 4 volvo and did my test in the driving school D series with 6 speed gate. Missed 3rd going up and 4th coming down, thought bollocks, failed so relaxed and drove normal, had an unscheduled emergency stop when a car pulled out in front of me, by the time the examiner got himself sorted ( no seat belts then in trucks ) I'd had the handbrake on , picked gear to go, checked mirrors and set off again. Got back to the test station, 2 highway code questions, a coupling up question ( I was thinking why are you doing this? Just give me the fail sheet ) then the congrats you've passed, could have fanned me with a kipper 1 st attempt.
did mine in '89 failed on the first at Enfield he failed me on 'not making reasonable progress' ffs I was in a 10 year old Bedford TL 4 wheeler with a 30' skell that bounced all over the road so when I went through the lea valley where they had stripped the road surface ready for laying a new surface I was only able to do 20mph and keep it under control 🙄 (he was known to be a right c- - t though). That Bedford was a right bastard to drive too ! Had a 4 speed crash box and no power steering 😱
Jonn4me

Post by Jonn4me »

greHipurr wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:01 am

did mine in '89 failed on the first at Enfield he failed me on 'not making reasonable progress' ffs I was in a 10 year old Bedford TL 4 wheeler with a 30' skell that bounced all over the road so when I went through the lea valley where they had stripped the road surface ready for laying a new surface I was only able to do 20mph and keep it under control 🙄 (he was known to be a right c- - t though). That Bedford was a right bastard to drive too ! Had a 4 speed crash box and no power steering 😱
power steering on a TK? 😆 🤣, bigger muscles
greHipurr

Post by greHipurr »

Jonn4me wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:01 am
greHipurr wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:01 am

power steering on a TK? 😆 🤣, bigger muscles
to do the reverse manoeuvre you had to be pulling hard on the wheel before you moved 😱
tomhamm57

Post by tomhamm57 »

bang on.. I rolled back ever so slightly at a junction on an incline 10 minutes into my test.. Seen the Examiner tick something on his sheet.. & he didn't use his pen again for the rest of my test.. Thought I'd failed..
Turned out that was the only Minor I got and he congratulated me on a good drive!
antfman02

Post by antfman02 »

Failure is a success if we learn from it, never give up.
VaiTinny

Post by VaiTinny »

Don't worry mate I have same problem. I gonna go 5th time. Always 1 mistake and fail. Don't give up and one day we gonna join this family
TamNeko

Post by TamNeko »

VaiTinny wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:07 am Don't worry mate I have same problem. I gonna go 5th time. Always 1 mistake and fail. Don't give up and one day we gonna join this family
👍
RiStargall

Post by RiStargall »

There’s videos on YouTube about relaxing before a driving test. I get really nervous and failed all my tests first attempt however… Before my class 1 test I took Kalms for 3 weeks beforehand, had rescue remedy lozenges the week I was training and on the day i had a banana half hour before the test and continued eating the rescue remedy through my test. And I passed first time. If that doesn’t work try a small swig of alcohol. You’ll be fine you know you can do it 👍🏻
sanracksp

Post by sanracksp »

I looked at my test day as an assessment not a test worked for me 👍
doutian21

Post by doutian21 »

Herbal calms work and tell your self you can do this but if you don’t learn from where you’ve gone wrong is my Moto good luck.
Weapfizio

Post by Weapfizio »

I was like that test situation freak me out. Failed twice. I went on my last test and thought to my self. I’ll probably fail again 😁 and even wen he told me at the end I had past I couldn’t believe it. So try not to over think it
gooWorld

Post by gooWorld »

Calms do a lavender capsule, they are really good. Takes the edge of stress for me.
PhShabby

Post by PhShabby »

Tell your examiner exactly same thing and ask him for advice 😁
RacerRic

Post by RacerRic »

Two aspirin and glass of milk steady your nerves
paemplet01

Post by paemplet01 »

Personally I would speak to the next examiner prior to setting off. Any one worth their salt will chat to you and put you at ease. Remember, they are not there to fail you and only human. Good luck, 👍 and Don't give up it'll come and be worth it in the end.
WattGlace

Post by WattGlace »

Try rescue remedy. I find the drops or spray is better than the pastles just try some first
samHerald

Post by samHerald »

If your nerves are bad now what you gonna be like blindsiding into a side road with other traffic, cyclists and pedestrians all trying to barge their way past you
TamNeko

Post by TamNeko »

samHerald wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:23 am If your nerves are bad now what you gonna be like blindsiding into a side road with other traffic, cyclists and pedestrians all trying to barge their way past you
if you read message its just test condition! Passed reverse procedure and driving non test I'm fine. Thanks for positive remark!
samHerald

Post by samHerald »

TamNeko wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:23 am
samHerald wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:23 am If your nerves are bad now what you gonna be like blindsiding into a side road with other traffic, cyclists and pedestrians all trying to barge their way past you
if you read message its just test condition! Passed reverse procedure and driving non test I'm fine. Thanks for positive remark!
I know it is but if you're fine on lessons quit being a fanny drive like normal and get it done, trust me far more stressful situations lay ahead
TamNeko

Post by TamNeko »

samHerald wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:24 am
TamNeko wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:23 am
I know it is but if you're fine on lessons quit being a fanny drive like normal and get it done, trust me far more stressful situations lay ahead
thanks, i wont give up.
rusnett96

Post by rusnett96 »

I find brandy always calmed my nerves. Why not try a couple of brandies and a few whiskies. That should take the edge right off your nerves.
ChGlimmer

Post by ChGlimmer »

rusnett96 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:25 am I find brandy always calmed my nerves. Why not try a couple of brandies and a few whiskies. That should take the edge right off your nerves.
yea cos ya be pissed as a c@#t and wont care either way lol 😂 i might try that I've failed mine twice 😂😂
davSmart

Post by davSmart »

It's all in your mind. You have to tell yourself it's a guy just doing his job. Nothing more. The worst that can happen is you can fail. I know a few people that have gone with a "Don't give a sh#t" attitude and passed. Try your best obviously, but just keep saying to yourself, he's only an examiner etc. Try not to focus on the negative and if you do make a mistake don't dwell on it, because it may not be as bad as you think. Best of luck mate.
Coxtechmn2

Post by Coxtechmn2 »

Big deep breaths bro 💪 try not to put so much pressure on yourself. You got this 🙌
ralkree33

Post by ralkree33 »

Had the same problem spent a few weeks in the gym got my fitness levels up and done it with ease
MaChrono

Post by MaChrono »

I done my class 2 and class 1 over the last couple of years all I did was think of it as you are taking someone out for a drive and he is going to tell you where to go, easier said than done try and relax breathing exercises, he is not going out purposely to fail you! Good luck
briRazu

Post by briRazu »

My wife was a nervous wreck on her car test, failed 4 times due to nerves, she went to chemist and got some tablets called CALMS,
None drowsy or addictive.
Glad to say she passed.
ChrWisdom

Post by ChrWisdom »

briRazu wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:36 am My wife was a nervous wreck on her car test, failed 4 times due to nerves, she went to chemist and got some tablets called CALMS,
Glad to say she passed.
I used the same tablets, Calms for my 2nd class 1 test and passed without issue.
briRazu

Post by briRazu »

ChrWisdom wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:37 am
briRazu wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:36 am My wife was a nervous wreck on her car test, failed 4 times due to nerves, she went to chemist and got some tablets called CALMS,
Glad to say she passed.
I used the same tablets, Calms for my 2nd class 1 test and passed without issue.
As I said worked great for the wife
ellGambit

Post by ellGambit »

Glad to say she passed.
if they work that well at calming women down, maybe we all should order a truck load....do they stop them nagging too 🤔😅🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
briRazu

Post by briRazu »

ellGambit wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:39 am
Glad to say she passed.
if they work that well at calming women down, maybe we all should order a truck load....do they stop them nagging too 🤔😅🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
They're not a miracle drug
ellGambit

Post by ellGambit »

briRazu wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:39 am
ellGambit wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:39 am
Glad to say she passed.
They're not a miracle drug
damn, thought I'd found a solution to make women tolerable 😅🤣🤣🤣🤣
pottasur44

Post by pottasur44 »

Don't let it get to you I was the same as you I passed on my 3rd attempt just relax think of the examiner as a mate and your just driving round if he talks to you get abit of banter going that helped me relax breath as your going round and take your time at the end of the day he wants to pass you not fail you hope this helps good luck mate for next time
NooChamp

Post by NooChamp »

It took me 4 attempts to pass. Tip is to breathe deep and try your hardest. Maybe you need a little more practice. I take it you've done the hard bit?? (Reversing). A positive mental attitude goes a long way in this game.
haretto35

Post by haretto35 »

Next test act like that mofo next to you is your worst enemy, you hate them with a passion & you're gonna show them who's the best & you're no Failure....
Lacpallee

Post by Lacpallee »

I failed twice because of silent examiners apart from telling me what to do they didn't say a word. I'm a chatty bloke and it helped massively that I asked the 3rd one if she didn't mind having a chat through the test. She was absolutely fine with it and it eased my nerves so much. Nothing mental just bits here and there. Just ask them next time and if there not a robot why should they not have a little chat. I don't get why most examiners are miserable fuckers in the first place to be honest. Good luck with your next test 👍
ShaQuant

Post by ShaQuant »

Depending if the school has one.. ask if your instructor can come with you? When I did mine they had a unit with 3 seats. Might help having your instructor besides you
chrratt64

Post by chrratt64 »

Dont think about it just do it. If you know ya stuff why worry. Go back out their and just pass it.
AntychoV2

Post by AntychoV2 »

I don't really have any advice for you but before my first test I went to shit with nerves aswell had a full on panick attack and even threw up. This is more of a comment to say your not alone. On my retest I did explain this to examiner and what I failed on. I think the conversation we kept during the test help me relax more second time round.
Good luck! 👊
waykyatro

Post by waykyatro »

Belief belief that you Can do it! I passed all my tests B,C,CE all first time not because I’m a clever clogs I am actually dyslexic but I’m good with practical tasks just rehearse everything in your mind now I know you said it’s nerves on the day Try and it’s not easy but try and keep calm & together I can do this I can do this and on test take your time on each and every task believe you can do it and take your time talk to your instructor who by the way must believe you ARE ready for test.do the mental preparation the day before and be confident I CAN & WILL do this! 👍
waykyatro

Post by waykyatro »

This is my 23rd year of driving trucks. I enjoy it. Don’t give up 👍 Good luck 🍀 🙏
ovillog18

Post by ovillog18 »

Just always do your best pal. Keep trying. Goodluck. Cheers!
IanCent

Post by IanCent »

I took two anaddin extra only because the instructor told me take them half hour before your test hopefully it'll work for you and good luck keep goings

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”