Only my second night out last night and I made a mistake with the tacho I have a reasonably good amount of knowledge

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
chondroid

Only my second night out last night and I made a mistake with the tacho I have a reasonably good amount of knowledge

Post by chondroid »

Only my second night out last night and I made a mistake with the tacho. I have a reasonably good amount of knowledge regarding the rules around driving and rest time etc.. However I never thought about making sure I get 9 hours off as it’s not something I generally need to worry about. This morning I put my card in with only 8 hours 54 minutes since I took it out. I realized before I started driving and did two printouts, explaining the mistake. There is well over 9 hours between when I finished driving last night, and with I started driving this morning, it’s the working time at the end of yesterday which is the problem. Obviously the tacho is going crazy today with going over 10 hours of driving and not having 9 hours off. Aside from the printouts, is there anything I need to do to cover myself? Silly mistake, lesson learned!
Patibulate

Re: Only my second night out last night and I made a mistake with the tacho I have a reasonably good amount of knowledge

Post by Patibulate »

Nope, youve already made the mistake. Just carry the printout for the next 28 days and hope you don't get stopped. Just ensure you ha e the correct rest period tonight and into the future
Neophille

Re: Only my second night out last night and I made a mistake with the tacho I have a reasonably good amount of knowledge

Post by Neophille »

Patibulate wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:10 am Nope, youve already made the mistake. Just carry the printout for the next 28 days and hope you don't get stopped. Just ensure you ha e the correct rest period tonight and into the future
do tacho errors etc. only last 28 days? Was told it was 6 months
Patibulate

Post by Patibulate »

Neophille wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:12 am
Patibulate wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:10 am Nope, youve already made the mistake. Just carry the printout for the next 28 days and hope you don't get stopped. Just ensure you ha e the correct rest period tonight and into the future
roadside checks are 28 days. If they wanted to dig further I do believe it's 2 years worth of records. So I do believe so front what I've been told
Neophille

Post by Neophille »

Patibulate wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:12 am
Neophille wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:12 am
roadside checks are 28 days. If they wanted to dig further I do believe it's 2 years worth of records. So I do believe so front what I've been told
Good to know mate 👍 ta
geonewc99

Post by geonewc99 »

the control card carried by police and dvsa can look at 365 days in the vu
Poo_Lobola

Post by Poo_Lobola »

This is the reason I don't take my card out when on a night out
I even asked dvsa for advice
About leaving in and was told there is no rules but they prefer to see them left in
miggiSocle

Post by miggiSocle »

Poo_Lobola wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:14 am This is the reason I don't take my card out when on a night out
About leaving in and was told there is no rules but they prefer to see them left in
what happens if your taco switches to other work if you touch your keys ? Not all tacos are set to break as fault setting, not everyone remembers to check taco every time they move their keys
PiggyroEloign

Post by PiggyroEloign »

miggiSocle wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:15 am
Poo_Lobola wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:14 am This is the reason I don't take my card out when on a night out
what happens if your taco switches to other work if you touch your keys ? Not all tacos are set to break as fault setting, not everyone remembers to check taco every time they move their keys
shouldn't change unless you move vehicle, I leave my card in all week and often start engine to keep batteries charged, tacho never changes mode.
miggiSocle

Post by miggiSocle »

PiggyroEloign wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:17 am
shouldn't change unless you move vehicle, I leave my card in all week and often start engine to keep batteries charged, tacho never changes mode.
if the taco is set up right it should default to other work, not break.
PiggyroEloign

Post by PiggyroEloign »

miggiSocle wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:18 am

Can have it set to either, I prefer it to default to break when vehicle comes to halt and engine switched off.
dearticulate

Post by dearticulate »

PiggyroEloign wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:18 am

Can have it set to either, I prefer it to default to break when vehicle comes to halt and engine switched off.
They do on the Mercedes I drive, some default to other work when you switch off, some default to break, and some have a mind of their own if you touch the tacho buttons
PiggyroEloign

Post by PiggyroEloign »

dearticulate wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:19 am

They do on the Mercedes I drive, some default to other work when you switch off, some default to break, and some have a mind of their own if you touch the tacho buttons
not sure about latest generation of tachographs, but all I have owned are reprogrammable to set default to either break or other work.
comitative

Post by comitative »

once you put it on break you can touch the keys all you want it won’t change unless you move the vehicle
dearticulate

Post by dearticulate »

PiggyroEloign wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:20 am
dearticulate wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:19 am

not sure about latest generation of tachographs, but all I have owned are reprogrammable to set default to either break or other work.
I drive a different unit most nights, and they are set different, I was in 3 different ones last night during my shift and 2 defaulted as other work and the other one as break.
I had one (which I’m convinced was faulty) that changed from break to other work as soon as I turned the ignition on to start up and build up air
PiggyroEloign

Post by PiggyroEloign »

No obligatory in UK to record test on digi card, but certainly is in Europe, it is so much easier to leave card on all week if sleeping in truck, saves having to do a manual entry each morning, and a quick glance at tacho will show when you can start next shift, I only ever remove card if I'm away from truck.
Furciferous

Post by Furciferous »

PiggyroEloign wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:23 am
No obligatory in UK to record test on digi card, but certainly is in Europe, it is so much easier to leave card on all week if sleeping in truck, saves having to do a manual entry each morning, and a quick glance at tacho will show when you can start next shift, I only ever remove card if I'm away from truck.
but you still need to input start and end country
tomography

Post by tomography »

you are legally required to record ALL activities on your card. The regulations changed in August 2020 and were implemented in August 2022.
geonewc99

Post by geonewc99 »

tomography wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:25 am
you are legally required to record ALL activities on your card. The regulations changed in August 2020 and were implemented in August 2022.
correct
geonewc99

Post by geonewc99 »

sorry that is incorrect
PiggyroEloign

Post by PiggyroEloign »

geonewc99 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:26 am
sorry that is incorrect
what is incorrect?
geonewc99

Post by geonewc99 »

PiggyroEloign wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:26 am

sorry that is incorrect
what is incorrect?
you must record your rest
PiggyroEloign

Post by PiggyroEloign »

sorry that is incorrect
what is incorrect?
In Europe yes.
geonewc99

Post by geonewc99 »

PiggyroEloign wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:27 am

what is incorrect?
In Europe yes.
and in the uk mate
PiggyroEloign

Post by PiggyroEloign »

geonewc99 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:27 am

In Europe yes.
and in the uk mate
was the case back when paper charts were used, the French would fine you for not recording overnight rest on card.
geonewc99

Post by geonewc99 »

PiggyroEloign wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:28 am

In Europe yes.
and in the uk mate
was the case back when paper charts were used, the French would fine you for not recording overnight rest on card.
you have to account for your entire week on your digi card. Manual entries must be done for all periods of rest and other work where the card is not inserted in the head.
geonewc99

Post by geonewc99 »

In Europe yes.
and in the uk mate
failure to record them mate is a level 4 offence. £300 for every missing entry. I’ve sent you a link
PiggyroEloign

Post by PiggyroEloign »

geonewc99 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:29 am

and in the uk mate
failure to record them mate is a level 4 offence. £300 for every missing entry. I’ve sent you a link
Exactly, so as I previously said, much simpler to leave card in all week if you are tramping.
durianOssia

Post by durianOssia »

Antibromic wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:31 am Why did you take it out
is the correct question 👍
chondroid

Post by chondroid »

durianOssia wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:32 am
Was told company prefer it
tomography

Post by tomography »

chondroid wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:33 am
if you take your card out you must then do a manual entry when you insert it. Did your company explain that to you?
Arbuscle

Post by Arbuscle »

tomography wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:34 am

if you take your card out you must then do a manual entry when you insert it. Did your company explain that to you?
easier to do a Manual entry than end the shift and start the shift with the card still in
Boondocks

Post by Boondocks »

Arbuscle wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:34 am

easier to do a Manual entry than end the shift and start the shift with the card still in
no, because just put on h break for 9 or 11 hours and then cross hammers when you start your shift
Arbuscle

Post by Arbuscle »

Boondocks wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:36 am

no, because just put on h break for 9 or 11 hours and then cross hammers when you start your shift
you must end your shift everyday its a legal requirement
Boondocks

Post by Boondocks »

Arbuscle wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:36 am

if that was the case, I'd be in prison. Who told you that?
Arbuscle

Post by Arbuscle »

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou ... raph-rules
Arbuscle

Post by Arbuscle »

Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (33.36 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
Arbuscle

Post by Arbuscle »

dvsa!
Boondocks

Post by Boondocks »

Arbuscle wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:38 am

dvsa!
a break of 9 or 11 hours shows you have had a Daily rest. I get checked by British haulage association every week and have never been pulled up on it
Arbuscle

Post by Arbuscle »

Boondocks wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:39 am

dvsa!
a break of 9 or 11 hours shows you have had a Daily rest. I get checked by British haulage association every week and have never been pulled up on it
read what I have posted on the screenshot and if you still don’t believe me check the link
You Must end your shift everyday
Arbuscle

Post by Arbuscle »

dvsa!
it’s all there in black and white from the gov website in a publication from dvsa I could go on to provide more links but that would mean a lot more reading for you
Arbuscle

Post by Arbuscle »

dvsa!
one question for you who is the British haulage association do you mean the road haulage association?
Boondocks

Post by Boondocks »

Arbuscle wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:40 am

dvsa!
one question for you who is the British haulage association do you mean the road haulage association?
and yet, they wonder why you take your card out every night if you are tramping?!
Depends on your attitude and officer you receive I guess
Boondocks

Post by Boondocks »

dvsa!
got confused with BHA
British horse association 🤦🏼‍♂️🤣🤣🤣
Arbuscle

Post by Arbuscle »

Boondocks wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:41 am

got confused with BHA
dvsa don’t care if you leave the card in or take it out overnight it makes no difference. On the rare occasions I do nights out I always pull the card that way I know I’ve not left it on other work and It takes the same time inserting and doing manual entry as it does ending and starting the shift
Boondocks

Post by Boondocks »

Arbuscle wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:41 am

got confused with BHA
dvsa don’t care if you leave the card in or take it out overnight it makes no difference. On the rare occasions I do nights out I always pull the card that way I know I’ve not left it on other work and It takes the same time inserting and doing manual entry as it does ending and starting the shift
nice one. So you don't actually do nights out then?
I leave Monday morning and don't arrive back to the yard till Friday or Saturday.
If you are doing shift work, take a photo of when you clocked out so you can remember
Arbuscle

Post by Arbuscle »

Boondocks wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:42 am

got confused with BHA
I leave Monday morning and don't arrive back to the yard till Friday or Saturday.
If you are doing shift work, take a photo of when you clocked out so you can remember
I do night out done probably 10 in the last few months I also got stopped by dvsa for a adr check and all good
Boondocks

Post by Boondocks »

Arbuscle wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:42 am

I do night out done probably 10 in the last few months I also got stopped by dvsa for a adr check and all good
ideal.
Safe travels bud and if see each other on the road, give a flash 🤘🤘
phoenix20

Post by phoenix20 »

if you begin and end in the same country you don’t have to do that, Jesus wept.
Arbuscle

Post by Arbuscle »

phoenix20 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:46 am

you still have to do it regardless of starting and ending in the same country
tomography

Post by tomography »

Boondocks wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:43 am

ideal.
Safe travels bud and if see each other on the road, give a flash 🤘🤘
maybe about time you got yourself upto date with the regulations.
tomography

Post by tomography »

yes you do. You still need to record your Daily Rest either by manual entry or by leaving your card in.
phoenix20

Post by phoenix20 »

tomography wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:50 am

yes you do. You still need to record your Daily Rest either by manual entry or by leaving your card in.
if you leave your card in and haven’t changed country, you don’t have to end country
Varsovienne

Post by Varsovienne »

phoenix20 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:50 am

if you leave your card in and haven’t changed country, you don’t have to end country
are correct (as per article 34, para 7 of EC 165/2014)
phoenix20

Post by phoenix20 »

Varsovienne wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:51 am

the card stays in the head, unless I’m on holiday or the lorry is in the garage. I record change of country when I change country never had an issue with any enforcement agency over it
phoenix20

Post by phoenix20 »

the tacho head stores the country you’ve last set it to, unless there is a change or you are taking the card out/ putting it in there’s no need to touch it as it’s already recorded
Varsovienne

Post by Varsovienne »

phoenix20 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:52 am

the tacho head stores the country you’ve last set it to, unless there is a change or you are taking the card out/ putting it in there’s no need to touch it as it’s already recorded
165/2014 clearly states "the driver shall enter......"
Attachments
Photo.jpg
Photo.jpg (178 KiB) Viewed 980 times
phoenix20

Post by phoenix20 »

Varsovienne wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:52 am

the pluralization of the word country (it clearly states countries) implies it’s only necessary where multiple countries are involved
Varsovienne

Post by Varsovienne »

phoenix20 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:03 am

the pluralization of the word country (it clearly states countries) implies it’s only necessary where multiple countries are involved
Do you agree that a driver must enter the start and finish country in the centre field of an analogue chart (even if they start and finish in the same country?)
capeline

Post by capeline »

that holes getting deeper. 🙄
Emicate10

Post by Emicate10 »

Arbuscle wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:49 am

me too. Exactly the same reason. It’s a discipline.
durianOssia

Post by durianOssia »

Emicate10 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:09 am

me too. Exactly the same reason. It’s a discipline.
Unprofessional Drivers.
Emicate10

Post by Emicate10 »

Varsovienne wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:03 am

Do you agree that a driver must enter the start and finish country in the centre field of an analogue chart (even if they start and finish in the same country?)
looks like he’s admitted defeat and gone quiet
geonewc99

Post by geonewc99 »

just for a bit of clarification cos I’m not sure people are understanding your information.
A manual entry is required for any part of the week where digital recording is not available.
When the card is not in the vu then a manual entry must be made for all aspects of work, break, daily and weekly rest. No excuses or exceptions. Failure to do so is a level 4 offence and a fixed penalty of £300. You can be done a maximum of 5 times in one go. Anything more and it’s a court summons.
Arbuscle

Post by Arbuscle »

geonewc99 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:11 am

just for a bit of clarification cos I’m not sure people are understanding your information.
A manual entry is required for any part of the week where digital recording is not available.
When the card is not in the vu then a manual entry must be made for all aspects of work, break, daily and weekly rest. No excuses or exceptions. Failure to do so is a level 4 offence and a fixed penalty of £300. You can be done a maximum of 5 times in one go. Anything more and it’s a court summons.
not sure your understanding tbh
My comment was regarding leaving the card in overnight you still need to end your shift with the country and restart your shift the following day by making an entry on the tacho
landocracy

Post by landocracy »

I have sent you a pm regarding a duty time question, hope you don't mind.
Boondocks

Post by Boondocks »

Arbuscle wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:12 am
geonewc99 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:11 am

not sure your understanding tbh
My comment was regarding leaving the card in overnight you still need to end your shift with the country and restart your shift the following day by making an entry on the tacho
yeah RHA
michzapyYuft

Post by michzapyYuft »

It'll do your head in all day, and not be so easy to keep track of your driving today now, so make sure you don't go over anything else today!
You did right with print outs, after your next daily rest tacho display will be fine. Happens quite regular when doing ferry movements and split breaks, it's just a pain the next day as tacho display makes you feel like a cowboy! and more to point doesn't show driving/break time on display properly.
Windthrow

Post by Windthrow »

You can do a vehicle print out without putting in your card this will tell you when you finished that’s what I do if I forget etc.
Nesiote

Post by Nesiote »

I leave mine in if night out that why I don't need to do manual entry. Do you keep a diary? If or when I balls it up I do the 2 print outs message the transport manager and write a note in diary or on my phones calendar. I was stopped last year, they found I'd moved during a break, in fact I'd left my card in when I was working nights and the next driver moved it. The note in my diary was enough and dvsa lady said that was good enough.
colleger12

Post by colleger12 »

Leave your card in and log off duty.
Deltaness42

Post by Deltaness42 »

Do a manual entry and correct it.
tomography

Post by tomography »

Deltaness42 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:23 am Do a manual entry and correct it.
no it won't. You cannot change anything on your card once it is recorded.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”