Is there any chance of making videos or tutorial about basic hgv class 1 reversing by those who already have sort of

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Antimacassar

Is there any chance of making videos or tutorial about basic hgv class 1 reversing by those who already have sort of

Post by Antimacassar »

Is there any chance of making videos or tutorial about basic hgv class 1 reversing by those who already have sort of a driving channel going on YouTube. There are plenty of videos on YouTube about reversing the exam reversing manouver as well as those where a driver is reversing on the loading bay. There is a video by a female driver called Haley about basic reversing for newbies. It is a very good instructional video and must be watched by newly qualified drivers.
When Haley made this video she had not been driving class 1 for long. However it is a brilliant effort in terms of explaining the reversing of class 1. The purpose of this post is to encourage others who could make the same sort of reversing videos for newly qualified drivers. Sadly I saw her video after failing the assessment lol.
Antimacassar

Re: Is there any chance of making videos or tutorial about basic hgv class 1 reversing by those who already have sort of

Post by Antimacassar »

spew671 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:35 amGreat 👍
when you making a video
Vuvuzela

Re: Is there any chance of making videos or tutorial about basic hgv class 1 reversing by those who already have sort of

Post by Vuvuzela »

Oh I haven't seen that one, I'll have a look later.
Antimacassar

Post by Antimacassar »

Vuvuzela wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:36 am Oh I haven't seen that one, I'll have a look later.
will send you a link
Vuvuzela

Post by Vuvuzela »

Antimacassar wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:36 am
Vuvuzela wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:36 am Oh I haven't seen that one, I'll have a look later.
will send you a link
Cheers buddy.
Antimacassar

Post by Antimacassar »

Vuvuzela wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:36 am
Antimacassar wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:36 am
will send you a link
Cheers buddy.
its on Facebook
quiddle45

Post by quiddle45 »

You will not learn of a video 🤦‍♂️ The best way to learn is for a new driver to be in the driving seat and a 2nd driver outside pointing them into position......well that's my opinion.
Antimacassar

Post by Antimacassar »

quiddle45 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:37 am You will not learn of a video 🤦‍♂️ The best way to learn is for a new driver to be in the driving seat and a 2nd driver outside pointing them into position......well that's my opinion.
yes of course but once you fail your assessment as a newby you form different opinion.
quiddle45

Post by quiddle45 »

Antimacassar wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:38 am
quiddle45 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:37 am You will not learn of a video 🤦‍♂️ The best way to learn is for a new driver to be in the driving seat and a 2nd driver outside pointing them into position......well that's my opinion.
yes of course but once you fail your assessment as a newby you form different opinion.
Ask yourself why do people fail! Not fully understanding (instructors fault) Think they can pass by using their own way, or simply nerves.
If you fail it's one of the three reasons.
youBuzz

Post by youBuzz »

Watch the middle axle of the trailer (if it’s tri axle) that’s your pivot point
Foolhardy

Post by Foolhardy »

Confidence and keeping the nerves under control
Antimacassar

Post by Antimacassar »

Foolhardy wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:41 am Confidence and keeping the nerves under control
and of course knowing what to do with the steering lol
Foolhardy

Post by Foolhardy »

Antimacassar wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:41 am
Foolhardy wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:41 am Confidence and keeping the nerves under control
Instructor supposed to teach you that bit if I'm not mistaken
Antimacassar

Post by Antimacassar »

Foolhardy wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:41 am
they do but you forget the training if you have not driven the vehicle for a long time
Foolhardy

Post by Foolhardy »

Antimacassar wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:42 am
Foolhardy wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:41 am

they do but you forget the training if you have not driven the vehicle for a long time
Once you've learnt you don't forget
kerplunk

Post by kerplunk »

The reverse on test you'll probably never do again, in real life situations getting yourself in the right position or setting up b4 u do anything else is the most important thing to worry about, once you've mastered that you'll make the actual reverse a lot easier, good luck 👍
Antimacassar

Post by Antimacassar »

kerplunk wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:44 am The reverse on test you'll probably never do again, in real life situations getting yourself in the right position or setting up b4 u do anything else is the most important thing to worry about, once you've mastered that you'll make the actual reverse a lot easier, good luck 👍
thnx for the words of encouragement
Gubbins

Post by Gubbins »

Antimacassar wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:44 am
kerplunk wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:44 am The reverse on test you'll probably never do again, in real life situations getting yourself in the right position or setting up b4 u do anything else is the most important thing to worry about, once you've mastered that you'll make the actual reverse a lot easier, good luck 👍
the reverse manouvre is basically a simulated parallel park
Goggles

Post by Goggles »

Gubbins wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:46 am
top answer.
Goggles

Post by Goggles »

Gubbins wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:46 am
Go and turn round wherever possible to avoid the blindside reverse
sacapuntas

Post by sacapuntas »

I'm a new class 1 driver and you do just have to do it yourself. Videos didn't help me really. I still can't do the blind side very well at all. Just go and f☆ck it up. My mate said to me "don't be a c♡nt, take a shunt" or 2 or 3 it don't really matter as most places pay by the hour anyway 🤷 you will sus it out I'm sure... Good luck 👍
Popinjay

Post by Popinjay »

This lad had only passed his test two weeks before n said they said it was a tractor unit only
Well son it will be when you drop it off
But I’ve never reversed a trailer on the back of the unit
Hung on the wreaker that’s ok son give your head a wobble n watch me
No no just tell me ok
First go in to the bay
It’s easier than you think
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (52.25 KiB) Viewed 532 times
atingleBo

Post by atingleBo »

Popinjay wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:51 am This lad had only passed his test two weeks before n said they said it was a tractor unit only
No no just tell me ok
First go in to the bay
never give a challenge or a good lesson up was easier then thought
Popinjay

Post by Popinjay »

atingleBo wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:53 am
Popinjay wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:51 am This lad had only passed his test two weeks before n said they said it was a tractor unit only
No no just tell me ok
First go in to the bay
never give a challenge or a good lesson up was easier then thought
I try and help folks as much as I can but just remember I’ve had to learn the hard way
N
I’ve been playing with two or three bendy bits for a few years now
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (42.7 KiB) Viewed 529 times
mrleobDuende

Post by mrleobDuende »

There’s a video by trucking Chris called backwards 101 (or something like that) and I thought that was really useful.
Antimacassar

Post by Antimacassar »

mrleobDuende wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:54 am There’s a video by trucking Chris called backwards 101 (or something like that) and I thought that was really useful.
just watching it now thnx
Irregenerate

Post by Irregenerate »

Can watch as many videos as you like but you’ll only learn once you start doing it!! I could watch a brain surgeon doing a op but it’ll never make me a brain Sargen
Antimacassar

Post by Antimacassar »

Irregenerate wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:55 am Can watch as many videos as you like but you’ll only learn once you start doing it!! I could watch a brain surgeon doing a op but it’ll never make me a brain Sargen
you can't be a brain surgeon by watching a video because you have not been trained to be one. On the other hand I people like me the newbies have been through the training and attsinined their licences however the lack of use of the initial training that they went through has eroded their skills. The sort of videos are absolutely critical in the sense that they bring those training memories back. I have recently failed an assessment for class 1 however had I seen one of these videos prior to my assessment I am pretty confident the outcome of my assessment would have been different.
Irregenerate

Post by Irregenerate »

Antimacassar wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:56 am
Irregenerate wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:55 am Can watch as many videos as you like but you’ll only learn once you start doing it!! I could watch a brain surgeon doing a op but it’ll never make me a brain Sargen
you can't be a brain surgeon by watching a video because you have not been trained to be one. On the other hand I people like me the newbies have been through the training and attsinined their licences however the lack of use of the initial training that they went through has eroded their skills. The sort of videos are absolutely critical in the sense that they bring those training memories back. I have recently failed an assessment for class 1 however had I seen one of these videos prior to my assessment I am pretty confident the outcome of my assessment would have been different.
I sat with my old man for years and years went all over Europe as a kid watching him but once I got in the drivers seat it was a different ball game… good luck next time 👍
Caballine

Post by Caballine »

Hubby taught me to reverse forward...so position your cab and trailer in the right position reverse as straight as possible..or so you are not blind side..easy
Antimacassar

Post by Antimacassar »

Caballine wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:58 am Hubby taught me to reverse forward...so position your cab and trailer in the right position reverse as straight as possible..or so you are not blind side..easy
yes
mateopYeasty

Post by mateopYeasty »

Euro truck simulator 2 pc game has pretty good physics for reversing if you have a pc that you play games on.
Antimacassar

Post by Antimacassar »

mateopYeasty wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:59 am Euro truck simulator 2 pc game has pretty good physics for reversing if you have a pc that you play games on.
great
Synaxarion

Post by Synaxarion »

As the saying goes, nobody learnt to play the piano from a book, same is true here, after a while, you'll just know.
ratihabition

Post by ratihabition »

They have scrapped the reverse from the test though .. it just has to be signed off by approved trainer
Antimacassar

Post by Antimacassar »

ratihabition wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:03 pm They have scrapped the reverse from the test though .. it just has to be signed off by approved trainer
yes but when you go for an assessment its a different ball game
ratihabition

Post by ratihabition »

Antimacassar wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:03 pm
ratihabition wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:03 pm They have scrapped the reverse from the test though .. it just has to be signed off by approved trainer
you mean company driving assessment?
Antimacassar

Post by Antimacassar »

ratihabition wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:03 pm
yes when you apply to work for a company. I failed an assessment last week. I passed my class 1 over two years ago but since passing my test never driven one. I only drive class 2 few days as my side job however the company that I work for does not have class 1 vehicle
The place here in Leeds does have part and full time roles but the assessment went terrible as I had forgotten how to reverse. I did see few videos about coupling and uncoupling but struggled to attach suzies. The assessor failed me stating I should get some refresher training which will cost me few hundred pounds. So I left licking my wounds still thinking why is it so hard for this company to give me few hours in house training instead of me spending another few hundred pounds on a refresher.
ratihabition

Post by ratihabition »

Antimacassar wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:04 pm

yes when you apply to work for a company. I failed an assessment last week. I passed my class 1 over two years ago but since passing my test never driven one. I only drive class 2 few days as my side job however the company that I work for does not have class 1 vehicle
The place here in Leeds does have part and full time roles but the assessment went terrible as I had forgotten how to reverse. I did see few videos about coupling and uncoupling but struggled to attach suzies. The assessor failed me stating I should get some refresher training which will cost me few hundred pounds. So I left licking my wounds still thinking why is it so hard for this company to give me few hours in house training instead of me spending another few hundred pounds on a refresher.
time to move on to a different company then and sod the ones that don’t wish to help out
Antimacassar

Post by Antimacassar »

ratihabition wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:04 pm

time to move on to a different company then and sod the ones that don’t wish to help out
yes but I liked their work. I have worked for them on class 2.doing multidrop in the past when the trucks from my current company was hired by this company. My friend just passed class 1 a month ago and got a job with this company. On class 1 its a pretty clean work. Just one long distance drops and come back. So feeling gutted in a sense. However the assessor did say to me that my record will be on their system for six month and after a refresher I could come back for another assessment. My worry is if for some reasons if I don't pass the next assessment the money that I have paid for refresher would probably go down the drain.
quiddle45

Post by quiddle45 »

Why do you think a company that is willing to assess a driver put money into training them if they fail the assessment??
ratihabition

Post by ratihabition »

quiddle45 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:06 pm

Why do you think a company that is willing to assess a driver put money into training them if they fail the assessment??
they knew before hand that driver hasn’t driven for a couple of years and can’t get practice.. if it’s only reverse then where’s the harm in giving a couple of hrs for practice or say shunting work for a few days
quiddle45

Post by quiddle45 »

ratihabition wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:06 pm
quiddle45 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:06 pm

they knew before hand that driver hasn’t driven for a couple of years and can’t get practice.. if it’s only reverse then where’s the harm in giving a couple of hrs for practice or say shunting work for a few days
Read what he put! He past two years ago but has NEVER driven one 🤷‍♂️ He has less experience than a new pass because it is not fresh in his mind.
Poetolatry

Post by Poetolatry »

Do what most drivers do don’t reverse and abandon it where you like
nosography

Post by nosography »

Scott Andrew's YouTube channel is good, I reckon he would be ace at this if he's on here
bordereau

Post by bordereau »

nosography wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:10 pm Scott Andrew's YouTube channel is good, I reckon he would be ace at this if he's on here
I worked with him good lad
TonytomDeray

Post by TonytomDeray »

You can watch all the videos in the world. They will NEVER help you! There is nothing to learn ‘mechanical’, no calculated steps. They simply don’t work. You have to feel it yourself, on your own way. Practice, practice and practice. And… all of a sudden, you’ll do it straight away. Good luck!
hyphaeresis

Post by hyphaeresis »

Like they say.
One day, it’ll just ‘click’…

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”