Hi all. I’m having my first solo day on Monday after completing my training period. I’m confident in my driving but

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Highfalutin

Hi all. I’m having my first solo day on Monday after completing my training period. I’m confident in my driving but

Post by Highfalutin »

Hi all. I’m having my first solo day on Monday after completing my training period. I’m confident in my driving but a little apprehensive about the last 5 minutes of each delivery. I’ll be delivering to RDCs so postcodes generally give you a rough location only. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks
McColympic

Re: Hi all. I’m having my first solo day on Monday after completing my training period. I’m confident in my driving but

Post by McColympic »

Do they not supply a route map?
Check the Postcode then research it on Google Maps.
Highfalutin

Re: Hi all. I’m having my first solo day on Monday after completing my training period. I’m confident in my driving but

Post by Highfalutin »

McColympic wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:14 am Do they not supply a route map?
I’m very new so I’m not sure mate. I only know they have very up to date sat navs. I’ll download Google maps. Cheers for the advice
McColympic

Post by McColympic »

Highfalutin wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:14 am
I’m very new so I’m not sure mate. I only know they have very up to date sat navs. I’ll download Google maps. Cheers for the advice
then download Road Lords, and put your truck details in, great app.
Highfalutin

Post by Highfalutin »

McColympic wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:15 am
I tried that on my apple phone but apparently I can’t on this phone
McColympic

Post by McColympic »

Highfalutin wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:15 am

bin the i-sh*te😁😁😁😆
Highfalutin

Post by Highfalutin »

bin the i-sh*te😁😁😁😆
ha, fair enough 😂😂
McColympic

Post by McColympic »

Highfalutin wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:16 am

bin the i-sh*te😁😁😁😆
ha, fair enough 😂😂
do they give you a sat nav. They should preloaded your destination points 👉 too.
Highfalutin

Post by Highfalutin »

McColympic wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:16 am
Highfalutin wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:16 am

bin the i-sh*te😁😁😁😆
ha, fair enough 😂😂
do they give you a sat nav. They should preloaded your destination points 👉 too.
sat nav is part of the truck. Volvo under 3 years old mate
jingoism18

Post by jingoism18 »

Post codes work fine in my Sat nav & get me where I'm going 99% of the time
GorgonPluck

Post by GorgonPluck »

Google the company, look at street map for entrance
stupefaction

Post by stupefaction »

Google maps and revise where your going... satellite mode
Monoploxy

Post by Monoploxy »

Google the name, using satellite and street view to work out where the entrance is. If it's RDCs, it should be dead easy.
Highfalutin

Post by Highfalutin »

Monoploxy wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:19 am Google the name, using satellite and street view to work out where the entrance is. If it's RDCs, it should be dead easy.
thanks mate
maoricMac

Post by maoricMac »

I'm in similar situation, just started new job. All I can say - take your time, and don't be afraid to ask questions, or ask for help. Have a look on Google maps before setting off (satellite view), just to get some sort of idea what to expect when you get there. Good luck 👍
Highfalutin

Post by Highfalutin »

maoricMac wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:20 am I'm in similar situation, just started new job. All I can say - take your time, and don't be afraid to ask questions, or ask for help. Have a look on Google maps before setting off (satellite view), just to get some sort of idea what to expect when you get there. Good luck 👍
thanks
quaff230

Post by quaff230 »

You could use Google maps to find the entrance put a pin on it and enter the coordinates in your truck sat nav if it’s possible
F_823Zonked

Post by F_823Zonked »

Have a look on Google maps and street view once you have the postcodes, that way you can familiarize yourself with what’s in the area/streets etc. so you know if you’re in the right place. Don’t be scared to ask other drivers for advice especially if they’ve been there before… Previous knowledge is invaluable. Relax while you’re on the road… and don’t forget to turn the radio down so you can see better 🤣🤪
Highfalutin

Post by Highfalutin »

F_823Zonked wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:22 am Have a look on Google maps and street view once you have the postcodes, that way you can familiarize yourself with what’s in the area/streets etc. so you know if you’re in the right place. Don’t be scared to ask other drivers for advice especially if they’ve been there before… Previous knowledge is invaluable. Relax while you’re on the road… and don’t forget to turn the radio down so you can see better 🤣🤪
thanks mate
piccadilly

Post by piccadilly »

Google satellite image or Google earth or google street view are great for finding things
Antimacassar

Post by Antimacassar »

If I'm going to somewhere for the first time I put the postcode in the sat nav and on Google maps and I use Google maps to check where the entrance is the match it up on the sat nav.
burCampy71

Post by burCampy71 »

Most of them these days are that big you'll see it when your approaching them...Good luck
Highfalutin

Post by Highfalutin »

burCampy71 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:32 am Most of them these days are that big you'll see it when your approaching them...Good luck
that’s true mate. I’ve been to maybe 15 on my training it I don’t wanna look like a d**k on my first day going to one I don’t know 😂😂
QueBunny

Post by QueBunny »

Exactly what Steve lamb says look for entrance pin it and directions it will take you straight to gate
spew671

Post by spew671 »

In regards to postcodes here’s what I do, I find the RDC on google then I click on the map and it opens up via google maps, then I pin point the entrance of the RDC 📍 and that brings up a screen you can drag up and gives specific co ordinates which you can then put in your HGV sat nav and it’ll take you straight to the entrance. (I’ll post pics showing you step by step)
Attachments
Photo.jpg
Photo.jpg (41.59 KiB) Viewed 724 times
Highfalutin

Post by Highfalutin »

spew671 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:36 am In regards to postcodes here’s what I do, I find the RDC on google then I click on the map and it opens up via google maps, then I pin point the entrance of the RDC 📍 and that brings up a screen you can drag up and gives specific co ordinates which you can then put in your HGV sat nav and it’ll take you straight to the entrance. (I’ll post pics showing you step by step)
photocopied that mate, cheers
spew671

Post by spew671 »

Attachments
Photo.jpg
Photo.jpg (56.62 KiB) Viewed 721 times
Highfalutin

Post by Highfalutin »

spew671 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:37 am.
thanks mate
spew671

Post by spew671 »

Highfalutin wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:37 am
thanks mate
No worries, take your time, if in doubt get out and don’t rush, the first few weeks I used to find a safe spot out of the way of drivers /shunters where I could get my straps off and compose myself with not feeling rushed, as time goes on it’ll become second nature.
spew671

Post by spew671 »

thanks mate
What is it about the last 5 minutes of the delivery that concerns you specifically?
Highfalutin

Post by Highfalutin »

spew671 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:38 am
thanks mate
What is it about the last 5 minutes of the delivery that concerns you specifically?
that’s my hope mate as during my training I drove all over the country and I absolutely loved it.
jotchequ63

Post by jotchequ63 »

Google map the address and find where the main gate is from there...
andShunned

Post by andShunned »

If you got a hgv satnav that connects to your phone by Bluetooth for traffic download what three words to your phone, put in where you want to go ie companies name or postcode, you can view location satellite and pinpoint entrance for instance and send that to you satnav, fantastic app
Foolhardy

Post by Foolhardy »

If you do Aldi Cardiff don't follow satnav, go via A48/A4232.
Highfalutin

Post by Highfalutin »

Foolhardy wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:41 am If you do Aldi Cardiff don't follow satnav, go via A48/A4232.
thanks mate, I’ll screenshot and keep that
Foolhardy

Post by Foolhardy »

Highfalutin wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:46 am
Foolhardy wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:41 am If you do Aldi Cardiff don't follow satnav, go via A48/A4232.
thanks mate, I’ll screenshot and keep that
Glad to help mate.
BarZero

Post by BarZero »

Avoid them all, they don't deserve workers visiting them.
kerplunk

Post by kerplunk »

On my second month I had to do a pickup at an RDC and I looked on Google maps to get my approach and gate only to find the one entrance isn’t used on a night but I was already at the barrier 😂 turns out the approach and roads are used by other trucks for sleeping in and I had to do a blindside three point turn into a side road with trucks everywhere 😰 😂
Gubbins

Post by Gubbins »

If a satnav isn't showing anything at all when you put in a postcode, check the company's website. It may tell you to use a different postcode. That's the case with Newcold Wakefield as I recall.
warVash

Post by warVash »

Get a truck satnav, Garmin or TomTom to get you near destination then use Google maps for the last bit. Most RDCs will be on Google maps. More accurate than postcodes.
Gubbins

Post by Gubbins »

Don't ever fret about pulling in to the wrong place. It happens all the time and you'll always be pointed in the right direction.
Highfalutin

Post by Highfalutin »

Gubbins wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:53 am Don't ever fret about pulling in to the wrong place. It happens all the time and you'll always be pointed in the right direction.
great confidence booster mate, cheers
Gubbins

Post by Gubbins »

Highfalutin wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:54 am
Gubbins wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:53 am Don't ever fret about pulling in to the wrong place. It happens all the time and you'll always be pointed in the right direction.
I've done it mate. Sh*tting my pants. Turns out there's nothing to worry about. I can't stress enough that it's normal...
Highfalutin

Post by Highfalutin »

Gubbins wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:54 am
I've done it mate. Sh*tting my pants. Turns out there's nothing to worry about. I can't stress enough that it's normal...
again thanks mate, now I can’t wait until Monday
Gubbins

Post by Gubbins »

Highfalutin wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:55 am

I started a job 3 months ago that I had absolutely no clue about. All dock to cold store work, reefers and containers. Never done it. Within a week it was second nature. Scary as f**k to start with. I'd happily teach others now. You'll smash it bro 💪
Highfalutin

Post by Highfalutin »

Gubbins wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:55 am
Highfalutin wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:55 am

I started a job 3 months ago that I had absolutely no clue about. All dock to cold store work, reefers and containers. Never done it. Within a week it was second nature. Scary as f**k to start with. I'd happily teach others now. You'll smash it bro 💪
great to hear sir, thanks mate
sacapuntas

Post by sacapuntas »

Take your time and if need help there will always be someone to help. The more times go into each rdc gets easier and will slowly find safe shortcuts to them
sacapuntas

Post by sacapuntas »

If it’s a new site when get near try to look out where others are going/coming from
Highfalutin

Post by Highfalutin »

sacapuntas wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:56 am If it’s a new site when get near try to look out where others are going/coming from
Thanks mate, I certainly realize now that there’s plenty of help and advice out there now thanks to you great colleagues
sacapuntas

Post by sacapuntas »

Highfalutin wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:56 am
sacapuntas wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:56 am If it’s a new site when get near try to look out where others are going/coming from
Thanks mate, I certainly realize now that there’s plenty of help and advice out there now thanks to you great colleagues
No worries but one recommendation is don’t p the shunters off
Highfalutin

Post by Highfalutin »

sacapuntas wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:57 am
Highfalutin wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:56 am
No worries but one recommendation is don’t p the shunters off
ha, yes. I think I already realize that 😂
Popinjay

Post by Popinjay »

Use GPS coordinates, garmin & Tom Tom u can defo input, go on Google maps satellite view, fi d the entrance and drop a pin where u need to be, the coordinates that come up in search bar can go straight into a Tom Tom, press search, whole map then Longitude & Latitude, input these exactly as they are in search bar
For garmin u do the same drop pin
Save to starred places, that gives u the North/ west coordinates ,to input on garmin, categories, then scroll down to coordinates,
Complete game changer, or drop a pin on Google maps and run on that last 2 minutes to find out where u need to be, excellent for getting in behind retail pks, service yards etc
Good luck 👍
SimElement

Post by SimElement »

Always check that the postcode matches the address. Google maps satellite pictures can help you there. We’ve all probably been sent to the Head Office rather than the correct delivery point. Don’t risk going somewhere you’re not sure you can get back out of. If it all goes wrong you’ll find yourself on your own.
atingleBo

Post by atingleBo »

I'd love it if companies started using what3words to give exact gate location they want delivery to arrive at.
poolarr44

Post by poolarr44 »

I tend to Google a place then go on Google earth to actually see the RDC you're going to x
Caballine

Post by Caballine »

The last five minutes of any delivery to RDC's take about 3 hours.
LukBreeze

Post by LukBreeze »

If your just going to RDC’s I wouldn’t worry too much, they’re that big you’ll see them from miles away lol but if you do struggle just have a scout on Google maps round the postcode they’ve given 👌
You’ll love it if you ever get a building site on the other hand, postcodes are never right 😂
Good luck I’m sure you’ll be reyt
Highfalutin

Post by Highfalutin »

LukBreeze wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:06 pm If your just going to RDC’s I wouldn’t worry too much, they’re that big you’ll see them from miles away lol but if you do struggle just have a scout on Google maps round the postcode they’ve given 👌
You’ll love it if you ever get a building site on the other hand, postcodes are never right 😂
thanks, much appreciated
Highfalutin

Post by Highfalutin »

Highfalutin wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:06 pm
LukBreeze wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:06 pm If your just going to RDC’s I wouldn’t worry too much, they’re that big you’ll see them from miles away lol but if you do struggle just have a scout on Google maps round the postcode they’ve given 👌
thanks, much appreciated
happy to help pal any time 🤙
ratihabition

Post by ratihabition »

Find the exact entry point on Google maps, drop a pin on it, then copy the longitude / latitude in to your satnav
Poetolatry

Post by Poetolatry »

Search before setting off, Google images can be a fantastic help..
farThega90

Post by farThega90 »

Look around as you get near, sometimes you can see the building or a sign. I check on Google maps so I know what the building looks like.
MikMirage

Post by MikMirage »

I use truck sat nav to get me to the post code then Google to get me to the actual place if I don’t know where I’m going.
dalLeventis

Post by dalLeventis »

Or just use a map book then ask a postman when you get close the good old days

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”