Hello Is the servicing requirement the same for an operator running 3.5t vans into Europe as a HGV operator? Can you

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
GenReader

Hello Is the servicing requirement the same for an operator running 3.5t vans into Europe as a HGV operator? Can you

Post by GenReader »

Hello, Is the servicing requirement the same for an operator running 3.5t vans into Europe as a HGV operator? Can you point me in the direction of some guidance?
Thanks
kirLedger

Re: Hello Is the servicing requirement the same for an operator running 3.5t vans into Europe as a HGV operator? Can you

Post by kirLedger »

Follow the guidelines in the guide to maintaining road worthiness.
GenReader

Re: Hello Is the servicing requirement the same for an operator running 3.5t vans into Europe as a HGV operator? Can you

Post by GenReader »

kirLedger wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:34 pm Follow the guidelines in the guide to maintaining road worthiness.
thanks for your reply, if guide to maintaining road worthiness mentioned LCV then I wouldn't have asked! unless I've missed it!
kirLedger

Post by kirLedger »

GenReader wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:35 pm
kirLedger wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:34 pm Follow the guidelines in the guide to maintaining road worthiness.
thanks for your reply, if guide to maintaining road worthiness mentioned LCV then I wouldn't have asked! unless I've missed it!
Inuse the same guidelines, can’t go wrong. I also had to specify the intervals when applying for a license.
A pmi isn’t a service so isn’t really a manufacturers recommendation.
GenReader

Post by GenReader »

thanks for your reply, unfortunately this mentions nothing about safety inspection intervals.
bluBlanc

Post by bluBlanc »

GenReader wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:36 pm
thanks for your reply, unfortunately this mentions nothing about safety inspection intervals.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... hicles.pdf
GenReader

Post by GenReader »

bluBlanc wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:41 pm
What that should have said was. Don't mentions anything about safety inspections for lcv.
bluBlanc

Post by bluBlanc »

GenReader wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:41 pm
bluBlanc wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:41 pm

What that should have said was. Don't mentions anything about safety inspections for lcv.
also what recommendations does the manufacturer give you for service intervals?
GenReader

Post by GenReader »

bluBlanc wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:42 pm
GenReader wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:41 pm
also what recommendations does the manufacturer give you for service intervals?
Manufacturer recommends anything from 18000 miles or 12 months and 24000 miles and 24 months depending upon van type.
johrama33

Post by johrama33 »

Not dealt with this before however I would check manufacturers handbook for service/inspection intervals (usually mileage based)
RayGotta

Post by RayGotta »

If it comes under operator licence guidelines it will be subject to those rules. Minimum 6 weeks, maximum 12 weeks inspection periods.
GenReader

Post by GenReader »

RayGotta wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:43 pm If it comes under operator licence guidelines it will be subject to those rules. Minimum 6 weeks, maximum 12 weeks inspection periods.
only require OL for europe. Not viable to service a van every 12 weeks.
Manufacturer recommends anything from 18000 miles or 12 months and 24000 miles and 24 months depending upon van type.
RayGotta

Post by RayGotta »

GenReader wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:43 pm
RayGotta wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:43 pm If it comes under operator licence guidelines it will be subject to those rules. Minimum 6 weeks, maximum 12 weeks inspection periods.
only require OL for europe. Not viable to service a van every 12 weeks.
didn’t say service but it will need to be inspected. And yes only OL if going to EU.
GleGlyph

Post by GleGlyph »

Light goods which come under operator licensing need to have a maintenance contract with a garage and be inspected at the interval you have determined (probably 12 or 13 weeks) because you are a class 4 vehicle for MOT I would simply ask a normal garage to conduct the maintenance inspections but use the PMI sheet format.
treCert35

Post by treCert35 »

GleGlyph wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:44 pm Light goods which come under operator licensing need to have a maintenance contract with a garage and be inspected at the interval you have determined (probably 12 or 13 weeks) because you are a class 4 vehicle for MOT I would simply ask a normal garage to conduct the maintenance inspections but use the PMI sheet format.
A 3500kg van would be Class 7 MOT
fauMarcs

Post by fauMarcs »

The TC ain't really interested if you use the vehicle once a year, once a month or once a week for an O licence movement abroad, they expect you to have a suitable PMI regime on those vehicles.
Two of my operators inspect their LCV's, one has a fleet of 80+ vans used as service vehicles around the UK and the operator has them inspected every 6 weeks, no O licence movements ever carried out .
The other operators pick up's/vans don't do any more than 8k miles a year but he inspects them every 13 weeks and RBT's them every 26 weeks 🤷
Why does he do this, because he knows as an employer that he has a duty of care towards his employees.
No O licence movements ever carried out with these vans
I find myself having this conversation with nearly every operator I speak to 🤷 as they seem to forget about having suitable records for all of their grey fleet.
NicDoom

Post by NicDoom »

The updated GTMR guides us that we should treat vehicles between 2,500kgs and 3,500kgs that are to be used on an International Operators licence in exactly the same way as any other in scope vehicle and be included in the maintenance planning. You may of course choose an appropriate inspection interval in accordance to the guidance, which may include having different vehicles at different intervals......but here is a question for you (and I don't know the answer)...... what about MOT? A van doesn't come within plating and testing requirements and therefore a new van wouldn't need an MOT for the 1st three years. Does that still apply to a van specified on the O licence? My best guess is that it doesn't because nothing in the law requires it. Be interested in views on this.
NicDoom

Post by NicDoom »

IMHO vans, by their very nature are not as robust as HGV's and as you say 3.5t vans being ragged around Europe will need regular attention. I agree few maintenance providers would be interested in vans and you can't really just pop your van into Halfords for inspections. So yes good business opportunity 👍

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”