How is it even possible you are legally allowed to drive 9 hours but you can legally work and drive 15 hours in

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
chuGree

How is it even possible you are legally allowed to drive 9 hours but you can legally work and drive 15 hours in

Post by chuGree »

The mind boggles? some drivers sound as though they enjoy working & driving for 15 hours per day. Having no family life or even life in general. Tired all weekend from hours worked during the week. A normal job is 8 hours per day. Driving hgv vehicles is dangerous and should be made to be done so in a safe manner. How many drivers have been behind a hgv driving and you just know the driver in front is falling asleep behind the wheel. Simply because he is all over the road as he is being made to work extremely long hours. How is it even possible you are legally allowed to drive 9 hours but you can legally work and drive 15 hours in total. I reckon there is some loophole somewhere being totally exploited from companies and transport management jockeys. That don't have a clue about driving, the law simply should be work and drive 8 hours per day then we will see the hourly rate go up as companies won't be able to get away with paying low rates. To force drivers to do overtime yes I said force. Think about it they pay low rates so you have to beast the overtime to make a livable wage 🤔🤔
AndFalls

Re: How is it even possible you are legally allowed to drive 9 hours but you can legally work and drive 15 hours in

Post by AndFalls »

Simple answer if you don’t like the job get out!!!! In other words what people do, is there business not yours!
SeaSynchro

Re: How is it even possible you are legally allowed to drive 9 hours but you can legally work and drive 15 hours in

Post by SeaSynchro »

Can you imagine the cost of living if we all did 8 hour days 🤦‍♂️ you would basically double the amount of vehicles on the road and double the cost of moving goods on the road.
traStunna

Post by traStunna »

SeaSynchro wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:32 am Can you imagine the cost of living if we all did 8 hour days 🤦‍♂️ you would basically double the amount of vehicles on the road and double the cost of moving goods on the road.
totally agree 👍
Blakellyo

Post by Blakellyo »

Is this post because you wanted a million a week and 2 hour shifts for doing f**k aw? Lol
steperife10

Post by steperife10 »

Some people are fine with them hours, effects everyone differently, u you are tired etc. pull over or if you think job is dangerous find a new job
scocape21

Post by scocape21 »

Don't like it find another job
SarFarer

Post by SarFarer »

I like my job. Yes, I do a lot of hours but it is just me so if I did 8hours every day I would basically be homeless or living in a hovel. Some people have it bred in to them to work. Guess that is me
AnSpecials

Post by AnSpecials »

SarFarer wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:39 am I like my job. Yes, I do a lot of hours but it is just me so if I did 8hours every day I would basically be homeless or living in a hovel. Some people have it bred in to them to work. Guess that is me
ditto that SarFarer
graPierce

Post by graPierce »

If you don't want to do it get an office job simples
AnSpecials

Post by AnSpecials »

My wage is fine don’t live beyond your means simple
KnoGrant

Post by KnoGrant »

Some people think you’re not a proper driver unless you’re maxing the hours. Let them get on with it, less for me to do…
DanPerson

Post by DanPerson »

Clearly just a steering wheel attendant and a snowflake, the job has always been long hours don’t like it there’s the door!!
jacChilled

Post by jacChilled »

DanPerson wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:48 am Clearly just a steering wheel attendant and a snowflake, the job has always been long hours don’t like it there’s the door!!
he’s taking about driver health and you disregard him so easily. You’re the reason some industries don’t see change for the workforce.
DanPerson

Post by DanPerson »

jacChilled wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:50 am
DanPerson wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:48 am Clearly just a steering wheel attendant and a snowflake, the job has always been long hours don’t like it there’s the door!!
he’s taking about driver health and you disregard him so easily. You’re the reason some industries don’t see change for the workforce.
let’s be right at what point does any of us actually work 15 hour we may attend for 15 hours but we aren’t constantly working that long! The more 8 hour days people do the more traffic and movements there would be we wouldn’t move the country would be gridlocked
jarStoop

Post by jarStoop »

Punctuation aside you've made a valid point. The pressure to do long hours or you're not man enough is ridiculous in this day and age.
Gubbins

Post by Gubbins »

I’m out Monday to Friday, I’d drive 15 hours a day if it was up to me, I’ve got nothing else to do. It’s more tiring driving a car for 6 hours.
McMicerse

Post by McMicerse »

Listen were paid by the hour if we could do more to make more we would 😂 that's why the rules n regs are there 😂
psaChosen

Post by psaChosen »

I average 55 hrs a week and earn a good wage. There's plenty of jobs out there that don't require to max out the hours, you've just got to go out and find them. It's their choice to do it.
ToFinest

Post by ToFinest »

Unfortunately the dinosaurs in this industry think they’re top blokes for maxing hours out and doing 6 day weeks in a tin box.
While they pay rent / mortgage and finance on a car sat in the work car park all week. And anyone demanding fair play is told you should try and run truck’s and stop being greedy. nothing more than mugs these driver’s.
Petkersco

Post by Petkersco »

ToFinest wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:03 am Unfortunately the dinosaurs in this industry think they’re top blokes for maxing hours out and doing 6 day weeks in a tin box.
While they pay rent / mortgage and finance on a car sat in the work car park all week. And anyone demanding fair play is told you should try and run truck’s and stop being greedy. nothing more than mugs these driver’s.
👏👏👏👏👏
rothunique

Post by rothunique »

ToFinest wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:03 am Unfortunately the dinosaurs in this industry think they’re top blokes for maxing hours out and doing 6 day weeks in a tin box.
if you actually think you are going to change the industry in your lifetime, you are very much mistaken, this industry has been moaning about conditions for generations, and it’s never changed
Petkersco

Post by Petkersco »

rothunique wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:06 am
if you actually think you are going to change the industry in your lifetime, you are very much mistaken, this industry has been moaning about conditions for generations, and it’s never changed
I’ve never worked under conditions like that and I never will. I agree with Tom. Whilst people are prepared to accept shit terms and conditions it’s all they’ll ever get.
I’ve Never done a night out or a 15 hour shift in 20 years on class 1.
rothunique

Post by rothunique »

Petkersco wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:06 am
I’ve never worked under conditions like that and I never will. I agree with Tom. Whilst people are prepared to accept shit terms and conditions it’s all they’ll ever get.
I take it you don’t stay at a job very long then, because it doesn’t matter who you work for there will always be something that doesn’t please, I’ve worked for some big firms, but people that moaned a lot were dispensed a bit sharpish
Petkersco

Post by Petkersco »

rothunique wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:07 am

I take it you don’t stay at a job very long then, because it doesn’t matter who you work for there will always be something that doesn’t please, I’ve worked for some big firms, but people that moaned a lot were dispensed a bit sharpish
been where I am now 5 years. Having a union helps.
rothunique

Post by rothunique »

Petkersco wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:07 am
rothunique wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:07 am

been where I am now 5 years. Having a union helps.
union, ok says all I need to know, and no doubt a closed shop, so if you didn’t join you wouldn’t of got the job
crimerr44

Post by crimerr44 »

I’m salaried so no advantage to do extra hours. It’s my choice whether I do 15 or 8 hours, normally Max hours mon/ Tuesday have a 10 on Wednesday 8 on Thursday and home fri/sat/sun. Suits me suits my boss
DunChamp

Post by DunChamp »

crimerr44 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:09 am I’m salaried so no advantage to do extra hours. It’s my choice whether I do 15 or 8 hours, normally Max hours mon/ Tuesday have a 10 on Wednesday 8 on Thursday and home fri/sat/sun. Suits me suits my boss
if your salaried then doing long hours isn't beneficial to you, just your boss
crimerr44

Post by crimerr44 »

DunChamp wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:10 am
crimerr44 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:09 am I’m salaried so no advantage to do extra hours. It’s my choice whether I do 15 or 8 hours, normally Max hours mon/ Tuesday have a 10 on Wednesday 8 on Thursday and home fri/sat/sun. Suits me suits my boss
if your salaried then doing long hours isn't beneficial to you, just your boss
exactly, though it benefits me because I get a three day weekend
ownerOws

Post by ownerOws »

If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen
NorRonz

Post by NorRonz »

ownerOws wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:12 am If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen
thsts u pal went over to the dark side 😆 🤣 😂 😹
ownerOws

Post by ownerOws »

NorRonz wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:14 am
ownerOws wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:12 am If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen
I did but I never once complained when I was driving about being away all week or 15 hour days etc. Tramping always has been and always will be sleeping in a tin can and missing out on family occasions etc, if you don't want to do that there is no point moaning about it that's the job, you came off tramping for day work for a better work life balance and I came off the road for the same reason.
NorRonz

Post by NorRonz »

ownerOws wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:14 am
I did but I never once complained when I was driving about being away all week or 15 hour days etc. Tramping always has been and always will be sleeping in a tin can and missing out on family occasions etc, if you don't want to do that there is no point moaning about it that's the job, you came off tramping for day work for a better work life balance and I came off the road for the same reason.
totally agree I'd never go tramping again and as for 15hrs a day who in there right mind wud be happy doing that apart from the gaffer
collander44

Post by collander44 »

NorRonz wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:15 am

totally agree I'd never go tramping again and as for 15hrs a day who in there right mind wud be happy doing that apart from the gaffer
paid by the hour trampers, that’s who, why would I want to spend 12hrs a day away from home not being paid, I’m already away, I want as many hrs as I can to make that sacrifice as worthwhile as possible.
NorRonz

Post by NorRonz »

collander44 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:16 am

paid by the hour trampers, that’s who, why would I want to spend 12hrs a day away from home not being paid, I’m already away, I want as many hrs as I can to make that sacrifice as worthwhile as possible.
still nothing like homelife
collander44

Post by collander44 »

NorRonz wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:16 am
collander44 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:16 am

still nothing like homelife
no of course it isn’t, but if your going to be away anyway, why wouldn’t you want to max your hours, I fully understand why you wouldn’t want to do those sorts of hours as a day man.
MarJame

Post by MarJame »

The safest way would be take the cars out of it might get stuff in shops then
rothunique

Post by rothunique »

I don’t think the industry is for you, everything you talk about will never change, and if you think it’s bad now, you should of experienced it back in the day, I think a better job for you would be working health and safety 🤣🤣
nigndseem31

Post by nigndseem31 »

rothunique wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:19 am I don’t think the industry is for you, everything you talk about will never change, and if you think it’s bad now, you should of experienced it back in the day, I think a better job for you would be working health and safety 🤣🤣
All the time there are people like you in the industry it won't change. Back in the 70's even when running dodgy with log books I never worked the hours drivers are aloud to work legally today. I might have done a long day for my self one day but it would've only been so I didn't do so much the next or had an extra day at home!
rothunique

Post by rothunique »

nigndseem31 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:19 am
rothunique wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:19 am I don’t think the industry is for you, everything you talk about will never change, and if you think it’s bad now, you should of experienced it back in the day, I think a better job for you would be working health and safety 🤣🤣
All the time there are people like you in the industry it won't change. Back in the 70's even when running dodgy with log books I never worked the hours drivers are aloud to work legally today. I might have done a long day for my self one day but it would've only been so I didn't do so much the next or had an extra day at home!
you need to get a job, filling shelves, you came into the industry knowing what the conditions were, and here you are still moaning
SebTruck

Post by SebTruck »

rothunique wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:20 am
nigndseem31 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:19 am
you need to get a job, filling shelves, you came into the industry knowing what the conditions were, and here you are still moaning
its drivers like you that have F the job up every day you and drivers like you get behind the wheel because your weak and won’t stand up for yourself let alone other driver ☹️ its you that should get another job try going down the mines ☹️ O No you’re already F that job up
danestype13

Post by danestype13 »

Nothing stopping you getting out of the truck and going home.
If you don't like it then find something else 🤔
KevGazer

Post by KevGazer »

Snowflake in general today's modern drivers glad not long before I finished...
DunChamp

Post by DunChamp »

He's obviously a strictly 8hrs a day man and been asked to do an extra run. Entitled is the word
kirLedger

Post by kirLedger »

Been saying this for years
danWolfie

Post by danWolfie »

I wasn't falling asleep, I was cracking one off as I don't get any at home because I'm too tired when I get home.
danWolfie

Post by danWolfie »

Not from next week I won't be. Start a new job up in beautiful Scotland £1500 a week 10am till 4PM trunking ADR home every afternoon..
Lucky I got that job tbf.
RoCanyons

Post by RoCanyons »

You should just do supermarket work then, no pressure to do any more than your contracted hours, home every day. I've been looking at other jobs to see what's about, and all the jobs outside of supermarkets (that isn't agency work) is usually a lower hourly rate but more hours to get similar rate to my current job (and my current job is one of the lower paid supermarkets)
jayVanderr

Post by jayVanderr »

RoCanyons wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:29 am You should just do supermarket work then, no pressure to do any more than your contracted hours, home every day. I've been looking at other jobs to see what's about, and all the jobs outside of supermarkets (that isn't agency work) is usually a lower hourly rate but more hours to get similar rate to my current job (and my current job is one of the lower paid supermarkets)
don’t agree.. supermarket work is all shifts so kiss weekends home goodbye.. tesco contracts state 12 hour days so still long hours + whatever commute you have to do so no better off..
RoCanyons

Post by RoCanyons »

jayVanderr wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:31 am
RoCanyons wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:29 am You should just do supermarket work then, no pressure to do any more than your contracted hours, home every day. I've been looking at other jobs to see what's about, and all the jobs outside of supermarkets (that isn't agency work) is usually a lower hourly rate but more hours to get similar rate to my current job (and my current job is one of the lower paid supermarkets)
don’t agree.. supermarket work is all shifts so kiss weekends home goodbye.. tesco contracts state 12 hour days so still long hours + whatever commute you have to do so no better off..
ah, I'm on 9 hour shifts at Asda chilled. At Asda ambient in Warrington, they're on 8 hour a day contracts. I'll admit I do work weekends, but that's only because I asked for permanent Tuesday and Wednesdays off. That's changing after the Easter rota is done so I'll be on a 6 week rota with 3 weekends in and 3 weekends off. 8 days out of the 6 weeks will be 11.25 hour shifts, the other working days will be 9s.
jayVanderr

Post by jayVanderr »

RoCanyons wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:31 am
jayVanderr wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:31 am
ah, I'm on 9 hour shifts at Asda chilled. At Asda ambient in Warrington, they're on 8 hour a day contracts. I'll admit I do work weekends, but that's only because I asked for permanent Tuesday and Wednesdays off. That's changing after the Easter rota is done so I'll be on a 6 week rota with 3 weekends in and 3 weekends off. 8 days out of the 6 weeks will be 11.25 hour shifts, the other working days will be 9s.
Asda are different then lol at Dagenham tesco it was 12 hour days and I had a set Monday Tuesday off I moved to major and it’s a 7 week rota with 5 Sundays and 2 Saturdays off in the 7 weeks.. and I still regularly max my hours..
belfectio39

Post by belfectio39 »

If you’re tramping what is the point of doing 8/9hrs per day 🤷‍♂️ I do 4 on 3 off every week (Fri to Mon) I max my hours out and earn as much as possible, I then have 3 days at home to chill.
KinBloom

Post by KinBloom »

I thought they should change the law so we can only work 12 hours then have 12 hours off. Keep everything simple,
belfectio39

Post by belfectio39 »

KinBloom wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:35 am I thought they should change the law so we can only work 12 hours then have 12 hours off. Keep everything simple,
12hrs stuck in a truck in a stinky MSA!! Are you mad 🤦‍♂️
KinBloom

Post by KinBloom »

belfectio39 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:35 am
KinBloom wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:35 am I thought they should change the law so we can only work 12 hours then have 12 hours off. Keep everything simple,
I'm quite happy parking up at 5pm then shower and off for a walk to a pub or even pictures, then starting work again at 5am.
belfectio39

Post by belfectio39 »

KinBloom wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:36 am
belfectio39 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:35 am
I'm quite happy parking up at 5pm then shower and off for a walk to a pub or even pictures, then starting work again at 5am.
So do that 🤣 I prefer to earn as much as possible while I’m away.
anaDelight

Post by anaDelight »

🤣 A "normal" job is 8hrs a day Mon to Fri, "normal" pay rate is say, £12 p/h. So that £96 per day minus your dinner break so that £84 a day before tax and in which come to roughly £17, which equates to £67 a day take home x5 equals £335 per week. Take out of that mortgage/rent, gas, electric, food, car costs and that's gone before Saturday...now who has no life 🤣🤣
YouNotice

Post by YouNotice »

Believe me doing 13 and 15 hours everyday is gonna take its toll on you in the end.
delMaster

Post by delMaster »

It’s not just drivers that get long shifts
Reading these pages you would think it’s the only profession that does and some so t have the luxury of 3 days max some people do 7 days a week
WarmTop

Post by WarmTop »

It's not really a surprise why so many drivers have heart attacks or strokes. For the most if they do get to retire they are dead by 70. Long hours, sedentary lifestyle. Poor diet. Night work. Some drivers seem in denial its killing them.
TitMellow

Post by TitMellow »

Same melt was on southwest drivers yesterday trying to cause upset 😂😂
kienpanceDJ

Post by kienpanceDJ »

Probably not the career path for you
livOutlive

Post by livOutlive »

That's the way of the world. Not fare at all
MadGlimmer

Post by MadGlimmer »

Gave up tramping to be home, pay cut no glory or exotic nights out...simple daytime work AND a grateful office..but an excellent work/home life balance
NowMuch

Post by NowMuch »

MadGlimmer wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:47 am Gave up tramping to be home, pay cut no glory or exotic nights out...simple daytime work AND a grateful office..but an excellent work/home life balance
only reason I'm tramping is because I was offered 4 on 4 off. Works well, I'm at home way more than I was doing 5 on 2 off days.
NowMuch

Post by NowMuch »

Pretty sure I heard a statistic that currently per capita you are more likely to die as a HGV Driver on the job than you are in the military.
halextHop

Post by halextHop »

If you do a job you love you’ll never work a day in your life - clearly half of you lot are unfortunate 👍
PhDegree

Post by PhDegree »

Pigs will fly first before that comes in, only do 2days
gramyerti81

Post by gramyerti81 »

So many crybabies
All mown about the younger generation no wanting to work but greet because they have to steer a wheel slightly for most of their working day
Go try a few undervalued and under paid jobs and you'll see how decent you've got it
Reducing the hrs would reduce wages not increase them
SymSim

Post by SymSim »

I had a rude awakening yesterday doing a 12 hour shift 😂 fk 15 🤣🤣
leecrumex22

Post by leecrumex22 »

You don’t have to do the job if you think it’s that bad
WaThesoy

Post by WaThesoy »

You need to drive a white van me thinks this ain’t the job for you clearly it ain’t in your blood

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”