How is it even possible you are legally allowed to drive 9 hours but you can legally work and drive 15 hours in

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
ashSavior

Re: How is it even possible you are legally allowed to drive 9 hours but you can legally work and drive 15 hours in

Post by ashSavior »

I agree it’s a shite job. Dangerous, low pay long hrs to have some sort of life. Terrible places to stop for food. Bad health.
WhePrep

Re: How is it even possible you are legally allowed to drive 9 hours but you can legally work and drive 15 hours in

Post by WhePrep »

ashSavior wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:07 am I agree it’s a shite job. Dangerous, low pay long hrs to have some sort of life. Terrible places to stop for food. Bad health.
so go and do something else then
ashSavior

Post by ashSavior »

WhePrep wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:07 am
ashSavior wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:07 am I agree it’s a shite job. Dangerous, low pay long hrs to have some sort of life. Terrible places to stop for food. Bad health.
I am 😂
WhePrep

Post by WhePrep »

ashSavior wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:08 am
WhePrep wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:07 am
I am 😂
should have done you excavator ticket on resettlement, it pays way more
lauClever

Post by lauClever »

Should be no longer than 10 hours maximum plus need 4 days Monday to Thursday just like most of Europe with full pay every week
WhePrep

Post by WhePrep »

lauClever wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:09 am Should be no longer than 10 hours maximum plus need 4 days Monday to Thursday just like most of Europe with full pay every week
you spout some sh*te 😂 Belgium is the only place doing a trial which allows staff to do their full weekly hrs in 4 days not 5 if they wish. You knew the hrs Olof haulage before you started it so why cry now.
lauClever

Post by lauClever »

WhePrep wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:09 am
lauClever wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:09 am Should be no longer than 10 hours maximum plus need 4 days Monday to Thursday just like most of Europe with full pay every week
you spout some sh*te 😂 Belgium is the only place doing a trial which allows staff to do their full weekly hrs in 4 days not 5 if they wish. You knew the hrs Olof haulage before you started it so why cry now.
haulage was good many years ago wages were decent enough and you could pay your bills all ok but its modern slavery now and will keep getting worse until it eventually goes boom or no man longer wants to drive for a living only the younger lads who think it's brilliant are just foolish give them 20 years of cpc, sh*t wages and long hours see what that does to their social and private life for what to pay your bills and enjoy your retirement witch is climbing up to near 70 sure if you keel over behind the wheel or in your bunk at the side of the road you'll soon realize is haulage worth it the way it is
WhePrep

Post by WhePrep »

lauClever wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:10 am
haulage was good many years ago wages were decent enough and you could pay your bills all ok but its modern slavery now and will keep getting worse until it eventually goes boom or no man longer wants to drive for a living only the younger lads who think it's brilliant are just foolish give them 20 years of cpc, sh*t wages and long hours see what that does to their social and private life for what to pay your bills and enjoy your retirement witch is climbing up to near 70 sure if you keel over behind the wheel or in your bunk at the side of the road you'll soon realize is haulage worth it the way it is
well I’ve been in the job nearly 29 years. In the 90’s we were getting £400-£450 a week doing Italy. Now all our drivers are on triple that or more. From the 90’s to now, not much changed. I still go on two foreign holidays a year, still have decent cars and have a horse and money to eat out a couple of times a week. So in my view no difference. I do know though that other parts of the country and running pallets about pays far less than we get.
lauClever

Post by lauClever »

WhePrep wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:11 am

well I’ve been in the job nearly 29 years. In the 90’s we were getting £400-£450 a week doing Italy. Now all our drivers are on triple that or more. From the 90’s to now, not much changed. I still go on two foreign holidays a year, still have decent cars and have a horse and money to eat out a couple of times a week. So in my view no difference. I do know though that other parts of the country and running pallets about pays far less than we get.
your one of the lucky ones
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

tbf he probably never even thought about the hours at the start and tbh at the start they don't bother ye it's when e penny drops ye hink hawd on a minute here im a slave 🤔🤔
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

lauClever wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:11 am

why should you have to work more hours because you drive trucks 8 hours fella like every other job 🤔🤔
lauClever

Post by lauClever »

chuGree wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:12 am

why should you have to work more hours because you drive trucks 8 hours fella like every other job 🤔🤔
as if that will ever happen in the haulage industry
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

lauClever wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:13 am
chuGree wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:12 am

as if that will ever happen in the haulage industry
8 hours continuous driving is hard work mentally exhausting fella 🤔
WhePrep

Post by WhePrep »

If all these crying gits don’t like it, piss off and do a different job, simple
Oat2free

Post by Oat2free »

Always said you shouldn't have to work 15 hrs in order to make a decent wage, all wrong but nothing will change
harInterest

Post by harInterest »

5yrs there wont be any drivers...so I'd make the most of it 😉
jerrasp18

Post by jerrasp18 »

What if no family at home and trying to build abit of money up? Am I allowed
EarOverhear

Post by EarOverhear »

jerrasp18 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:16 am What if no family at home and trying to build abit of money up? Am I allowed
try that mate doesn't work
jerrasp18

Post by jerrasp18 »

EarOverhear wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:18 am
jerrasp18 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:16 am What if no family at home and trying to build abit of money up? Am I allowed
it is so far lol
EarOverhear

Post by EarOverhear »

jerrasp18 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:19 am
EarOverhear wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:18 am
it is so far lol
When i started worked 24 7 never again even put another taco in just to get the job done it fucked my marriage up never again you lot a bit mess in your cab f**king hell not driving that ffs
ogibyWood

Post by ogibyWood »

The writer will only wants 8hr driving days so he can polish his wheels everyday and clean cab out for free
BodBorg

Post by BodBorg »

The trucks are disgusting unless it has a regular driver who’s been given his own truck otherwise it’s like sitting in tarmacers tipper with 200k on the clock 😂
herlinque97

Post by herlinque97 »

Well written so true. Thought was doing write thing missed kids growing up school plays etc etc 24 years later divorced can't replace them years but definitely not missing quality time with grand kids
SteMediaa

Post by SteMediaa »

Problem is spending 8 hours waiting per day 🤣
graPierce

Post by graPierce »

Haulage as never been and never will be a 8 hour a day job, if you want to work normal hour go a get a normal job. Driving for 9hrs over a 13hr period isn't hard work because most drivers are lazy sods and it's why they do the job.
VinPrestige

Post by VinPrestige »

graPierce wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:24 am Haulage as never been and never will be a 8 hour a day job, if you want to work normal hour go a get a normal job. Driving for 9hrs over a 13hr period isn't hard work because most drivers are lazy sods and it's why they do the job.
spoken like a true Uncle Tom nothing will change as long as drivers have that kind of thinking
graPierce

Post by graPierce »

VinPrestige wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:26 am
graPierce wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:24 am Haulage as never been and never will be a 8 hour a day job, if you want to work normal hour go a get a normal job. Driving for 9hrs over a 13hr period isn't hard work because most drivers are lazy sods and it's why they do the job.
spoken like a true Uncle Tom nothing will change as long as drivers have that kind of thinking
what you two clowns want it to be a 8 hr a day job. That's fine for you local boys but no good when doing distance work. If you find it to hard and don't earn enough do a different job. The only ones that want to change the job are the one's that don't like the job and earn shit. Most of us like the job and earn well from it.
beSpuffy

Post by beSpuffy »

Yes ive thought same, but you could get held up 3 or 5 hrs some cases at a job to be unloaded, if it takes 4.5hrs get to a job then same back, or have to have more local work, time flies when busy
StAuthentic

Post by StAuthentic »

Ad rather av fancy truck than a bigger wage
friggioid50

Post by friggioid50 »

It was the only way I could pay my mortgage regularly did 15 hours on nights
GaCrossed

Post by GaCrossed »

Rarely as most drivers are professional
hollexus65

Post by hollexus65 »

My mortgage will be paid in a few years and then it’s time to take it easy!
LakQuick

Post by LakQuick »

So what would you rather do do 8 hrs worth of work and park up then you would be having a go because you were never home it’s the nature of the job
mcLeniant

Post by mcLeniant »

You probably wouldn’t get a drivers job where it’s only 8 hours work. I been on road over 40years and never had one the main reason it’s always been long hours is because you could be anywhere in the country, if you did want to finish after 8hours you’d never be home
curDipity

Post by curDipity »

Companies should pay a decent wage for a 8hr shift, that will never happen
WhePrep

Post by WhePrep »

curDipity wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:41 am Companies should pay a decent wage for a 8hr shift, that will never happen
I get decent rate but still choose to max my hours...hours = 💷💷💷
curDipity

Post by curDipity »

My son only does a 8, hr day, that’s all they are planned, money not brilliant
curDipity

Post by curDipity »

Braancycl wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:42 amNonsense.
what’s nonsense 🤔
Braancycl

Post by Braancycl »

curDipity wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:43 am
what’s nonsense 🤔
the whole statement what else lol
curDipity

Post by curDipity »

Braancycl wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:43 am
curDipity wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:43 am
what’s nonsense 🤔
the whole statement what else lol
Don’t call me a liar, most days his done with in 6,7 hrs, but gets paid 8, now and then he may get a odd 10hrs, wage £15 hr. Company Gist out of Thornbury be Bristol
DavDaphne

Post by DavDaphne »

So 8 hours working/driving the other 16 hours bored parked up getting diesel or load nicked. 🤔
neiReports

Post by neiReports »

We all know this but all I say is ‘Life is too short for being unhappy, ‘change it’. It’s never too late 😉 But first get your own truck and employ drivers and say what wages you would be paying? 🤔 Put yourself the ‘other side’ of the desk.
wesJolly

Post by wesJolly »

Wages won't go up, they would go down as they'd need to employ more drivers. This way they could double man to get the deliveries done
Zeugma

Post by Zeugma »

Aww diddums, sounds like what you want is a part time job 🤷‍♂️
CoLummo

Post by CoLummo »

Zeugma wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:49 am Aww diddums, sounds like what you want is a part time job 🤷‍♂️
sounds like a government employee to me the DVLA don’t even turn up these days
frautio47

Post by frautio47 »

The country could not afford for all drivers to only work 8 hours. It would mean double the number of commercial vehicles on the road, there is a shortage of drivers now, with twice the number of vehicle needing drivers the situation would be dire. Traffic congestion is bad now what would it be like with such a massive increase in traffic, everyone would have breathing problems due to pollution and industry and commerce would come to a standstill. we wouldn't be able to compete in world markets and life for EVERYONE would be intolerable.
BilBoost

Post by BilBoost »

frautio47 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:53 am The country could not afford for all drivers to only work 8 hours. It would mean double the number of commercial vehicles on the road, there is a shortage of drivers now, with twice the number of vehicle needing drivers the situation would be dire. Traffic congestion is bad now what would it be like with such a massive increase in traffic, everyone would have breathing problems due to pollution and industry and commerce would come to a standstill. we wouldn't be able to compete in world markets and life for EVERYONE would be intolerable.
why would it mean double the amount of vehicles
frautio47

Post by frautio47 »

BilBoost wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:55 am
frautio47 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:53 am The country could not afford for all drivers to only work 8 hours. It would mean double the number of commercial vehicles on the road, there is a shortage of drivers now, with twice the number of vehicle needing drivers the situation would be dire. Traffic congestion is bad now what would it be like with such a massive increase in traffic, everyone would have breathing problems due to pollution and industry and commerce would come to a standstill. we wouldn't be able to compete in world markets and life for EVERYONE would be intolerable.
because if a drivers normally works 12 hours or more then suddenly they are only working 8 hours more vehicles would be needed to do the same amount of work, ìn lots of cases it would mean more nights out, so maybe not double but certainly a significant number of extra drivers. If a day driver on multi drops normally does 7 drops working a10 or 12 hour day then reduces to working only 8 hours per day it stands to reason he only be able to get 4 or 5 drops done but customers still want all the deliveries doing that day so more vehicles are required, so more drivers needed, more congestion, more pollution more investment for the same amount of work.
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

I don't see an issue in double the amount of vehicles tbh 🤔
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

frautio47 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:56 am
because if a drivers normally works 12 hours or more then suddenly they are only working 8 hours more vehicles would be needed to do the same amount of work, ìn lots of cases it would mean more nights out, so maybe not double but certainly a significant number of extra drivers. If a day driver on multi drops normally does 7 drops working a10 or 12 hour day then reduces to working only 8 hours per day it stands to reason he only be able to get 4 or 5 drops done but customers still want all the deliveries doing that day so more vehicles are required, so more drivers needed, more congestion, more pollution more investment for the same amount of work.
more congestion I'll give you might be an issue but solvable one in the short term more driver's more jobs is a win win though 👍
frautio47

Post by frautio47 »

chuGree wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:57 am

more congestion I'll give you might be an issue but solvable one in the short term more driver's more jobs is a win win though 👍
yes it would create more jobs but it wouldn't create more revenue and would require massive investment, in the long-term would make British industry uncompetitive.
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

frautio47 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:57 am

yes it would create more jobs but it wouldn't create more revenue and would require massive investment, in the long-term would make British industry uncompetitive.
that's a job for the so called politicians of the world to worry about a job should be 8 hour working days regardless of your profession in my opinion 🤔
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

frautio47 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:57 am

job creation, reduce unemployment, electric vehicles 🤔🤔
CoePerfect

Post by CoePerfect »

Hgv work pay is above most average non skilled jobs. That’s fir to the nature of long hours , not knowing a finish time, nights away , it’s a more stressful than doing a day on a till in Aldi etc, so it’s worth a few quid extra. If they made every hgv job a Monday to Friday 8-5 job rates would probably go down. The job being awful and not getting people to do it is what keeps the rates up. Let’s face it it’s not hard and you can get your licence even easier now. With way half of people drive I’d say they’re overpaid already lol
tomDraven

Post by tomDraven »

You've really got a low grasp of economics if you think working shorter days makes the wage Increase. Minimum wage is £10 an hour or thereabouts. No company will pay more than that! All your theory will result in is a massive increase in costs because wagons are taking 2 days to do deliveries rather than 1.......if you can't cope with working a 15 hour day stay at home because there are plenty of people who can and will
Jokhshum03

Post by Jokhshum03 »

All over the road more likely to be fiddling with something as falling asleep. If away from home you might as well work long hours & earn more if not you only sitting about killing time or out spending money IMHO
speSphinx

Post by speSphinx »

It’s really not that difficult!!
FaSublime

Post by FaSublime »

Personally I do but I work 4 days a week I have no family at home just my dog my mum look’s after while I’m away I do miss him sometimes but he will be there when I get back. So this suits me.
nikDiscover

Post by nikDiscover »

FFS if you were tipping at Aldi or Lidl you would be spending every night out by the time they have done the paperwork
Jouminally

Post by Jouminally »

The industry has always attracted people because they want to drive a big truck and like the idea of driving to different places, as the novelty wears off for some they leave, some carry on for various reasons but the wages have always been low because there's always been new drivers, distance work is more a way of life than a job, but in the end it's supply and demand that dictates wages, only way to get more money is ask/moan, if no good after that, leave, WTD should limit hours but lots of firms just ignore it
mayisman23

Post by mayisman23 »

I tramp all over the country it's a good little number I'm on now 2 days to do 8 drops I park up near the drop have 2 pints and a meal I do roughly 12 to 13 hours a day I drive a nice wagon
WelVander

Post by WelVander »

Don’t like the hours, don’t do the job 🤷‍♂️ it’s quite literally as simple as that!
ThoShard

Post by ThoShard »

I think it’s time you started looking for another kind of job that doesn’t involve you driving you can get a job as a bin man if you want to carry on driving they only work about 8 hours a day
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

ThoShard wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:47 pm I think it’s time you started looking for another kind of job that doesn’t involve you driving you can get a job as a bin man if you want to carry on driving they only work about 8 hours a day
done that money wiz crap 350 a week better aff on e dole fella 🤔
ThoShard

Post by ThoShard »

chuGree wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:47 pm
ThoShard wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:47 pm I think it’s time you started looking for another kind of job that doesn’t involve you driving you can get a job as a bin man if you want to carry on driving they only work about 8 hours a day
done that money wiz crap 350 a week better aff on e dole fella 🤔
there is not many jobs that pay much more then that some workers do 12 hours every day for less and hard work at that .some days I’m lucky to get 8 hours in that all depends on how bad the traffic is behind me
greGeneral

Post by greGeneral »

U don't do 15 hrs every day u have to take rough with smooth iv done many plus many hrs day from 5 hrs till 13 hrs parked up many a time for 13 hrs also
KyInterior63

Post by KyInterior63 »

God what a load of sh*t. You want less hrs and more money so the employer has to get another driver in and pay twice for the same job. You will be on min wage and cost of living will sky rocket even more because the transport costs go up and your pay gets less
bartmee99

Post by bartmee99 »

KyInterior63 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:50 pm God what a load of sh*t. You want less hrs and more money so the employer has to get another driver in and pay twice for the same job. You will be on min wage and cost of living will sky rocket even more because the transport costs go up and your pay gets less
he don't want work probably not a driver but a dole doser
KyInterior63

Post by KyInterior63 »

bartmee99 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:50 pm
KyInterior63 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:50 pm God what a load of sh*t. You want less hrs and more money so the employer has to get another driver in and pay twice for the same job. You will be on min wage and cost of living will sky rocket even more because the transport costs go up and your pay gets less
he don't want work probably not a driver but a dole doser
true another self entitled idiot that thinks he deserves it but don't want to earn it
crestfallen

Post by crestfallen »

I had a boss that would ring me an hour after my delivery, just to make sure I was awake. He looked after his drivers, if you couldn't get back without breaking the law, he would bring his car and a new driver to get me and my truck back. The wages were good, he had lovely trucks that were looked after by the two drivers, it was my pleasure to work there. I still hear from him and his wife after 9 years , unfortunately I had several heart attacks and follow on problems that I had to hand my class 1 in. I've never driven one since unfortunately, but my former boss didn't want me to leave, so he made me a redundancy package, a very nice one too, and his wife still sends me £250 in vouchers every Christmas.
Now hows that for a boss?
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

crestfallen wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:52 pm I had a boss that would ring me an hour after my delivery, just to make sure I was awake. He looked after his drivers, if you couldn't get back without breaking the law, he would bring his car and a new driver to get me and my truck back. The wages were good, he had lovely trucks that were looked after by the two drivers, it was my pleasure to work there. I still hear from him and his wife after 9 years , unfortunately I had several heart attacks and follow on problems that I had to hand my class 1 in. I've never driven one since unfortunately, but my former boss didn't want me to leave, so he made me a redundancy package, a very nice one too, and his wife still sends me £250 in vouchers every Christmas.
Now hows that for a boss?
that's a good boss tbf wish they all were similar
IaiPrime

Post by IaiPrime »

You make it sound like we all work 15 hours a day 7 days a week 🤦‍♀️ Christ help us if there’s actually anybody on this page who likes being a lorry driver and loves their job 🙄

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”