How is it even possible you are legally allowed to drive 9 hours but you can legally work and drive 15 hours in

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
chuGree

Re: How is it even possible you are legally allowed to drive 9 hours but you can legally work and drive 15 hours in

Post by chuGree »

IaiPrime wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:54 pm You make it sound like we all work 15 hours a day 7 days a week 🤦‍♀️ Christ help us if there’s actually anybody on this page who likes being a lorry driver and loves their job 🙄
nah no one
IaiPrime

Re: How is it even possible you are legally allowed to drive 9 hours but you can legally work and drive 15 hours in

Post by IaiPrime »

chuGree wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:54 pm
IaiPrime wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:54 pm You make it sound like we all work 15 hours a day 7 days a week 🤦‍♀️ Christ help us if there’s actually anybody on this page who likes being a lorry driver and loves their job 🙄
nah no one
well, I do. Absolutely love my job, the company I work for is brilliant and the people I work with are lovely. I’m currently on maternity leave but I normally work 3 nights a week. I have found an ideal work/life balance. It’s bloody hard work as my other half is a tramper but I wouldn’t do it if I didn’t love it!
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

IaiPrime wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:54 pm
chuGree wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:54 pm
nah no one
well, I do. Absolutely love my job, the company I work for is brilliant and the people I work with are lovely. I’m currently on maternity leave but I normally work 3 nights a week. I have found an ideal work/life balance. It’s bloody hard work as my other half is a tramper but I wouldn’t do it if I didn’t love it!
No one works because they love to work that's just unbelievable but maybe you don't mind working driving but your only working part time and probably just started in the game I wish you well with your maternity leave and word of advice spend your days with your children and not in a truck 👍
Jokhshum03

Post by Jokhshum03 »

Trucks cost a bloody fortune & need to be utilized to full..With long distance, tramping & international that u can only realistically have one driver u have to put a good day in.
ingentzim08

Post by ingentzim08 »

You either like driving for a living or you don't. It's not always about the money for me... if there is time left on the card then I will keep her moving and the least time not moving (daily rest periods) the better! Nearly 15 years staring at closed curtains inside a box is not something I want to drag out 🤣
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

ingentzim08 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:58 pm You either like driving for a living or you don't. It's not always about the money for me... if there is time left on the card then I will keep her moving and the least time not moving (daily rest periods) the better! Nearly 15 years staring at closed curtains inside a box is not something I want to drag out 🤣
no one likes driving for a living
ingentzim08

Post by ingentzim08 »

chuGree wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:58 pm
ingentzim08 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:58 pm You either like driving for a living or you don't. It's not always about the money for me... if there is time left on the card then I will keep her moving and the least time not moving (daily rest periods) the better! Nearly 15 years staring at closed curtains inside a box is not something I want to drag out 🤣
no one likes driving for a living
Hahaha OK dude
KyMattero

Post by KyMattero »

It was 8 hours driving for a while in the 80’s
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

KyMattero wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:00 pm It was 8 hours driving for a while in the 80’s
I never knew that tbh it definitely should still be 8 hours driving now or should never have changed that must have been before we joined the stupid EU malarkey then fella 🤔
KyMattero

Post by KyMattero »

chuGree wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:00 pm
KyMattero wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:00 pm It was 8 hours driving for a while in the 80’s
I never knew that tbh it definitely should still be 8 hours driving now or should never have changed that must have been before we joined the stupid EU malarkey then fella 🤔
If I remember it didn’t last long
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

KyMattero wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:00 pm
shame would have been good job if it had 🤔
konMarcs

Post by konMarcs »

chuGree wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:01 pm

take it you must be a very rich man to be wanting all this as all costs will go sky high, no new houses, no food in shops and no extras to get the wife or kids a wee present and all because idiots are scared to do a decent shift but want big wages
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

konMarcs wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:01 pm
chuGree wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:01 pm

take it you must be a very rich man to be wanting all this as all costs will go sky high, no new houses, no food in shops and no extras to get the wife or kids a wee present and all because idiots are scared to do a decent shift but want big wages
What you even talking aboot costs going sky high they ur already sky high were hiv ye been e last 2 year e moon or summit the cost of living rises and you want take a pay cut a bet u work overtime for nothing ye sound at kinda fella 🤔🤔
PhiHemp

Post by PhiHemp »

Back to the old days. Tired, stop end go to bed. No need for legislation.
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

PhiHemp wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:08 pm Back to the old days. Tired, stop end go to bed. No need for legislation.
bit like nowadays with legislation fella 🤔
PhiHemp

Post by PhiHemp »

chuGree wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:09 pm
PhiHemp wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:08 pm Back to the old days. Tired, stop end go to bed. No need for legislation.
seems like bosses dont realize that when your tired it is bedtime now though because driving laws say you aren't.
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

PhiHemp wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:09 pm
seems like bosses dont realize that when your tired it is bedtime now though because driving laws say you aren't.
you couldn't make it up the hours companies expect driver's to work the only solution is to reduce the daily working and driving combined hours to even say 11 that still would give them a loophole to exploit but given most drivers travel from home to a place of work to begin with and then have to travel home that's an extra 2 hours roughly on your working day rite away now that 11 becomes 13 so you have 11 left 1 hour for shower 10 1 hour for dinner 9 then bed for 8 get up 1 hour to get breakfast and off you go again it's still a lot 8 hours is a working day and should be in transport especially as it's a danger constantly without the driver being tired 🤔
PhiHemp

Post by PhiHemp »

chuGree wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:10 pm

you couldn't make it up the hours companies expect driver's to work the only solution is to reduce the daily working and driving combined hours to even say 11 that still would give them a loophole to exploit but given most drivers travel from home to a place of work to begin with and then have to travel home that's an extra 2 hours roughly on your working day rite away now that 11 becomes 13 so you have 11 left 1 hour for shower 10 1 hour for dinner 9 then bed for 8 get up 1 hour to get breakfast and off you go again it's still a lot 8 hours is a working day and should be in transport especially as it's a danger constantly without the driver being tired 🤔
hours travelling to and from work are classified as duty hours and have to be paid under EU law
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

PhiHemp wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:10 pm

hours travelling to and from work are classified as duty hours and have to be paid under EU law
is this a new thing 🤔 I've never heard of this before 🤔 but it makes perfect sense does it count towards your daily driving hours as well which would also make perfect sense 🤔🤔
PhiHemp

Post by PhiHemp »

chuGree wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:11 pm

is this a new thing 🤔 I've never heard of this before 🤔 but it makes perfect sense does it count towards your daily driving hours as well which would also make perfect sense 🤔🤔
since the early eighties when I went to live in NL
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

PhiHemp wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:11 pm

so do you work in the uk now?? Do you travel to and from work everyday??
PhiHemp

Post by PhiHemp »

chuGree wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:12 pm

not anymore no. Retired and living on the paradise is!and of Crete with my chaniotissian wife
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

PhiHemp wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:13 pm
chuGree wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:12 pm

not anymore no. Retired and living on the paradise is!and of Crete with my chaniotissian wife
If you're previous statement turns out to be fact then I reckon some company owes me a fair few sheckles 🤔
PerConn

Post by PerConn »

elePositive wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:14 pm True story 👍
carry on driving get on with it and don’t hang about
elePositive

Post by elePositive »

PerConn wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:14 pm
elePositive wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:14 pm True story 👍
carry on driving get on with it and don’t hang about
No1 gxo driver me 🤣
maynthindMr

Post by maynthindMr »

OK, We will go on your theory. The NHS in Exeter are advertising for a Class 2 driver so not classed as a dodgy employer apparently. 7.5 hours a day so plenty of time at home. BUT you have to start at 05.00 and it less than £20k per year. In this industry you take your pick. If you don't like doing the hours then do less in a different job and get paid less.
JoePress

Post by JoePress »

It makes me laugh with these people that say if you don't like it find a new job must be new bees or haven't been doing it long we are all just driver's as far as the manager think in the office BUT when the shit hits the fan we are professionals. So long hrs and living in a truck is a single man's life and in the end something will break it's called work balance which we haven't got marriages break people break in this tread if you stay in long enough its fun at the start the first five years good luck
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

JoePress wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:17 pm It makes me laugh with these people that say if you don't like it find a new job must be new bees or haven't been doing it long we are all just driver's as far as the manager think in the office BUT when the shit hits the fan we are professionals. So long hrs and living in a truck is a single man's life and in the end something will break it's called work balance which we haven't got marriages break people break in this tread if you stay in long enough its fun at the start the first five years good luck
exactly but now the government are rolling in the 18 year olds into the industry imagine the state it's going to be in in 5 year's from now 🤔🤔
deaMegs01

Post by deaMegs01 »

Everyone who has a right mind about them would do their homework before taking on the job. We all knew what we signed up for. Cost me a few relationships and not seeing my kids grow up. I bitterly regret that but have loved my time doing it. Just doing local nowadays as I don’t want to loose this one, she’s a keeper! Getting too old for tramping on the continent for a couple of weeks at a time anyway. Work to live, not the other way around. Good luck!👍🏻
StPrecise

Post by StPrecise »

deaMegs01 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:18 pm Everyone who has a right mind about them would do their homework before taking on the job. We all knew what we signed up for. Cost me a few relationships and not seeing my kids grow up. I bitterly regret that but have loved my time doing it. Just doing local nowadays as I don’t want to loose this one, she’s a keeper! Getting too old for tramping on the continent for a couple of weeks at a time anyway. Work to live, not the other way around. Good luck!👍🏻
well said mate..me too
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

StPrecise wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:18 pm
deaMegs01 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:18 pm Everyone who has a right mind about them would do their homework before taking on the job. We all knew what we signed up for. Cost me a few relationships and not seeing my kids grow up. I bitterly regret that but have loved my time doing it. Just doing local nowadays as I don’t want to loose this one, she’s a keeper! Getting too old for tramping on the continent for a couple of weeks at a time anyway. Work to live, not the other way around. Good luck!👍🏻
well said mate..me too
the opportunities are there but the more these fools do 15 hour shifts the more the industry will think it's acceptable it's not that is 2 day's work in 1 day and to think that on the road in charge of a lethal machine even more so if adr the government deem it safe what kinda world are we living in fella 👍
StPrecise

Post by StPrecise »

chuGree wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:19 pm
well said mate..me too
the opportunities are there but the more these fools do 15 hour shifts the more the industry will think it's acceptable it's not that is 2 day's work in 1 day and to think that on the road in charge of a lethal machine even more so if adr the government deem it safe what kinda world are we living in fella 👍
Always been a rebel mate..was a shop steward at one time when unions meant something.
When the drivers hours were increased..employers took that as a legal requirement to make it the norm
It is always up to the driver..under safety regulations...if they gave me grief..i gave them more..and in the end
I refused to work 15 hr days..and refused to reduce my rest..so always had an 11hr one..however there are idiots who worked on an hourly rate as they have often posted..that by making the working day shorter..would give them less money.
Of course there are many changes that need to be made in this industry but it needs support of those that work in it..and should not discriminate against.
I worked in this industry for 55 years
And retired for real at aged 72..am 76 now..so got my feet up..but my head is still with those still working.
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

StPrecise wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:19 pm

well said mate..me too
Always been a rebel mate..was a shop steward at one time when unions meant something.
When the drivers hours were increased..employers took that as a legal requirement to make it the norm
It is always up to the driver..under safety regulations...if they gave me grief..i gave them more..and in the end
I refused to work 15 hr days..and refused to reduce my rest..so always had an 11hr one..however there are idiots who worked on an hourly rate as they have often posted..that by making the working day shorter..would give them less money.
Of course there are many changes that need to be made in this industry but it needs support of those that work in it..and should not discriminate against.
And retired for real at aged 72..am 76 now..so got my feet up..but my head is still with those still working.
I'm glad you have found good work life balance fella all the best 👍
StPrecise

Post by StPrecise »

chuGree wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:20 pm
StPrecise wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:19 pm

I'm glad you have found good work life balance fella all the best 👍
cheers..safe journeys mate..
beaFree

Post by beaFree »

Do another job if you don't like it. You knew what you were getting into it's always been the same. You can't change the industry but you can change your job.
MunBlond

Post by MunBlond »

Tell me about it long hours and poor pay is worn like a badge of honour. It most definitely a life style. After 20 years I am slowly being driven out by poor conditions more than pay, money is not my motivation but being at work for 20 hours more a week due to loop holes in the wtd and being salaried means the pay becomes very poor as the big names exploit there work force on particular contracts.
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

MunBlond wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:21 pm Tell me about it long hours and poor pay is worn like a badge of honour. It most definitely a life style. After 20 years I am slowly being driven out by poor conditions more than pay, money is not my motivation but being at work for 20 hours more a week due to loop holes in the wtd and being salaried means the pay becomes very poor as the big names exploit there work force on particular contracts.
salaried in the industry must be murder the company will have ya working for less than minimum wage when you do the math with salary divided by hours I wouldn't touch a salary in this industry no doubt the old trick game was played to get you to agree to it though fella 🤔
MunBlond

Post by MunBlond »

chuGree wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:22 pm
MunBlond wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:21 pm Tell me about it long hours and poor pay is worn like a badge of honour. It most definitely a life style. After 20 years I am slowly being driven out by poor conditions more than pay, money is not my motivation but being at work for 20 hours more a week due to loop holes in the wtd and being salaried means the pay becomes very poor as the big names exploit there work force on particular contracts.
salaried in the industry must be murder the company will have ya working for less than minimum wage when you do the math with salary divided by hours I wouldn't touch a salary in this industry no doubt the old trick game was played to get you to agree to it though fella 🤔
15 years ago it was ok contracted to 48 they use every trick in the book to make that work on paper but it’s never less than 50 for me I averaged last 17 week reference period about 44 hrs extra worth at overtime rate 22ph at my reckoning I am owed £968 this dispute will start soon just running this reference period before I contest I will be looking heavily at the last 12 months
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

MunBlond wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:23 pm
chuGree wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:22 pm
15 years ago it was ok contracted to 48 they use every trick in the book to make that work on paper but it’s never less than 50 for me I averaged last 17 week reference period about 44 hrs extra worth at overtime rate 22ph at my reckoning I am owed £968 this dispute will start soon just running this reference period before I contest I will be looking heavily at the last 12 months
you are probably owed a small fortune I bet take it to hmrc ma brother done that and they dragged the company through the coals for it fella 👍
miJeans12

Post by miJeans12 »

Thing is he has a valid point and bosses exploit the Muppets that will do these hours every day because to them it's not a job it's a vocation but the bottom line is that it is just a job and we should be paid accordingly and shouldn't have to do the hours that we do but bosses aren't daft they give the Muppets fancy trucks and glamorous destinations and have them working for peanuts but this at the end ov the day is a government problem they should be stepping in and cutting the legal hours by at least 5 hours a day and we should be going down the European rd no trucks on the rd at weekends except perishable goods it's not about wither you love your job or not it's about not being exploited for a job you enjoy
JamEcho

Post by JamEcho »

miJeans12 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:24 pm Thing is he has a valid point and bosses exploit the Muppets that will do these hours every day because to them it's not a job it's a vocation but the bottom line is that it is just a job and we should be paid accordingly and shouldn't have to do the hours that we do but bosses aren't daft they give the Muppets fancy trucks and glamorous destinations and have them working for peanuts but this at the end ov the day is a government problem they should be stepping in and cutting the legal hours by at least 5 hours a day and we should be going down the European rd no trucks on the rd at weekends except perishable goods it's not about wither you love your job or not it's about not being exploited for a job you enjoy
it’s only 2200 Saturday night to 2200 Sunday not all weekend and that is done to keep the roads clear nothing to do with cutting working hrs.
miJeans12

Post by miJeans12 »

JamEcho wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:24 pm
miJeans12 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:24 pm Thing is he has a valid point and bosses exploit the Muppets that will do these hours every day because to them it's not a job it's a vocation but the bottom line is that it is just a job and we should be paid accordingly and shouldn't have to do the hours that we do but bosses aren't daft they give the Muppets fancy trucks and glamorous destinations and have them working for peanuts but this at the end ov the day is a government problem they should be stepping in and cutting the legal hours by at least 5 hours a day and we should be going down the European rd no trucks on the rd at weekends except perishable goods it's not about wither you love your job or not it's about not being exploited for a job you enjoy
it’s only 2200 Saturday night to 2200 Sunday not all weekend and that is done to keep the roads clear nothing to do with cutting working hrs.
not arguing with that mate but if you were doing the same hrs as the Europeans you can still enjoy your job but have a sat night out with your mates the wife girlfriend whatever see the kids I spent 35 years roaming the length and breadth ov Europe and loved it but my social and family life suffered big style and believe me when I say this because there's a lot ov ex drivers out there in the same boat when you get to retirement age and you have f**k all to show for it no wife no girlfriend kids don't know you and f**k you off then you'll understand what I am saying
JamEcho

Post by JamEcho »

miJeans12 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:25 pm
not arguing with that mate but if you were doing the same hrs as the Europeans you can still enjoy your job but have a sat night out with your mates the wife girlfriend whatever see the kids I spent 35 years roaming the length and breadth ov Europe and loved it but my social and family life suffered big style and believe me when I say this because there's a lot ov ex drivers out there in the same boat when you get to retirement age and you have f**k all to show for it no wife no girlfriend kids don't know you and f**k you off then you'll understand what I am saying
I’ve been doing the same pal from 1994, wouldn’t change a thing. When half your mates are spending Saturday night in a shit pub in England full of pissed toddlers looking for a fight, and I was parked at the beach in Italy or Spain eating from the taverna’s with sensible people in 30 degree weather I was more than happy.
miJeans12

Post by miJeans12 »

JamEcho wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:26 pm
miJeans12 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:25 pm

I’ve been doing the same pal from 1994, wouldn’t change a thing. When half your mates are spending Saturday night in a shit pub in England full of pissed toddlers looking for a fight, and I was parked at the beach in Italy or Spain eating from the taverna’s with sensible people in 30 degree weather I was more than happy.
again I agree used to love it but I was on my own nobody to enjoy it with it's like constantly going on holiday by yourself but it's at the end game mate when it's nice to have someone to come home to and you just end up by yourself I have been lucky av got a good Mrs but lot ov mates haven't I wor for m&s now gist 8 hrs a day home every night
leddurbi31

Post by leddurbi31 »

Got to say you are not exploited you are paid. The hrs have always been the same and are told what they are before you take the job. You also know what the legal hrs are when going for licence to be able to do the job. What makes you think it going to change for you. And let's face it we do sod all most off the day apart from sit there pointing it in the right direction.
PeaTheevill

Post by PeaTheevill »

no one makes you work 15 hours ask for your p45
another one that thinks the world ows them a liven what about farmers fitters that work all day and do call outs I could go on
get on with it or get out
andShunned

Post by andShunned »

PeaTheevill wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:28 pm no one makes you work 15 hours ask for your p45
another one that thinks the world ows them a liven what about farmers fitters that work all day and do call outs I could go on
ive never seen a poor farmer.
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

andShunned wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:28 pm
PeaTheevill wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:28 pm no one makes you work 15 hours ask for your p45
naw they ain't poor at all cause e government keeps em going wa aw e Grant's they throw at em fella 🤔
PeaTheevill

Post by PeaTheevill »

andShunned wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:28 pm
you don't have a clue he said she said
DraDrachm

Post by DraDrachm »

in a van can do 24 hrs day if u like
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

DraDrachm wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:30 pm
a know the mind boggles anything for hire or reward should fall under tachograph rules regardless of the size another problem in the industry fella 🤔
DraDrachm

Post by DraDrachm »

chuGree wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:31 pm
a know the mind boggles anything for hire or reward should fall under tachograph rules regardless of the size another problem in the industry fella 🤔
in past I've done 21 hours day
DraDrachm

Post by DraDrachm »

11 hrs in a van then 3hrs off then did 10 hour on taco
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

DraDrachm wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:33 pm

my point exactly if Van's were tachod ye naw be able tae dae aw at driving 🤔
PeaTheevill

Post by PeaTheevill »

chuGree wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:34 pm

in a van you can do 24 hours why is that it's easy to drive a truck air seats all the dogs bolloks thats why you are called steerers not drivers even woman do the job now
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

PeaTheevill wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:34 pm

in a van you can do 24 hours why is that it's easy to drive a truck air seats all the dogs bolloks thats why you are called steerers not drivers even woman do the job now
any vehicle white vans should be restricted to 50mph then if that's yer attitude fella 🤔🤔
PeaTheevill

Post by PeaTheevill »

chuGree wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:35 pm

any vehicle white vans should be restricted to 50mph then if that's yer attitude fella 🤔🤔
what makes you think I am a white van driver I own them and tractor units as well which I hold a class one for 40 years and drove class 1 in 28 different country's that was when there were borders and T forms so you see I know what I am talking about I was driven when drivers used to flash lights when you overtake and most the drivers were men not half and half
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

PeaTheevill wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:35 pm

what makes you think I am a white van driver I own them and tractor units as well which I hold a class one for 40 years and drove class 1 in 28 different country's that was when there were borders and T forms so you see I know what I am talking about I was driven when drivers used to flash lights when you overtake and most the drivers were men not half and half
when you just done 24 hour shifts fella 🤔
PeaTheevill

Post by PeaTheevill »

chuGree wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:36 pm
PeaTheevill wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:35 pm

when you just done 24 hour shifts fella 🤔
get a grip we used to pick up a trailer from Dundonald in Ayrshire next stop Milan Italy 3 or 4 hours in bed when they would tip and reload then back again that's what you call driven half now a day are just shutters

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”