Some advice please. I've been working at my current place since February and recently they've taken a new job on.

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
CoLummo

Some advice please. I've been working at my current place since February and recently they've taken a new job on.

Post by CoLummo »

Some advice please. I've been working at my current place since February and recently they've taken a new job on. Basically all I do now is drive back an forth between 2 places, 16 miles down an A road. I do that 4 times a night. Now it's a piece of cake but it's so mind numbingly boring and I only actually drive for about 3 hours in an 11 hour shift. I'm not getting any other work since this new job started and it looks like it's going to stay that way for quite some time. I get payed OK but I'm seriously tempted to go back to my previous employer (slightly less money) just so I can actually start driving properly again. Now am I just being a flannels and should I just get on with my job? Would you be happy doing this sort of work? Any advice is welcome and I'm a big boy so I can take criticism.
timStroons

Re: Some advice please. I've been working at my current place since February and recently they've taken a new job on.

Post by timStroons »

Question, are you currently happy going to work?
CoLummo

Re: Some advice please. I've been working at my current place since February and recently they've taken a new job on.

Post by CoLummo »

timStroons wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:54 am Question, are you currently happy going to work?
to be honest not really no
timStroons

Post by timStroons »

CoLummo wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:54 am
timStroons wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:54 am Question, are you currently happy going to work?
Then my good friend you’ve answered your own question!!
wesJolly

Post by wesJolly »

that's your answer there then fella
AdaGrenada

Post by AdaGrenada »

you answered your own question then mate
LunStein

Post by LunStein »

tbh if your not happy simple find another job you need to be happy with your job and if the money is slightly less then so be it
frautio47

Post by frautio47 »

Do what ever makes you happy.
kienetaff60

Post by kienetaff60 »

I'd just crack on it pays the bills and by the sound of it you spend more time at work just chilling so do a open university course or something or watch Netflix etc etc
LynCar

Post by LynCar »

If ya not happy have a word wi Gaffa if ye get ney joy f**k off to other job 👍
barrRamixi

Post by barrRamixi »

If your not happy time for a change mate
BilBoost

Post by BilBoost »

Put your music on. Find podcasts just find your jam. It might not be ideal but it's a step up money wise. Next thing is to look out for better jobs. But remember your happiness is everything. So if you can't find your happiness in that job somehow then do what's right for you. Money isn't always everything
maxiMatt

Post by maxiMatt »

Maybe your boss has put you on that as you are no good at anything else?
ImrChari

Post by ImrChari »

maxiMatt wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:08 pm Maybe your boss has put you on that as you are no good at anything else?
So if someone doing a job like this...they are bad drivers or what?
Get a grip
maxiMatt

Post by maxiMatt »

ImrChari wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:10 pm
maxiMatt wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:08 pm Maybe your boss has put you on that as you are no good at anything else?
Get a grip
I didn’t say that I was just saying that maybe that’s the reason
ImrChari

Post by ImrChari »

maxiMatt wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:10 pm
Get a grip
So....maybe means lot of things but it doesn't matter
ImrChari

Post by ImrChari »

Get a grip
Look...I don't care
If somebody tells you....you maybe stupid....you OK with that or not?
cliphylor41

Post by cliphylor41 »

ImrChari wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:11 pm

Get a grip
Look...I don't care
If somebody tells you....you maybe stupid....you OK with that or not?
assume makes an ass out of you an me. Maybe doesn’t mean for certain, If someone said “maybe” I was stupid I would be fine with that, the insinuation is done on your own part 🤣🤦‍♂️ an maybe that’s where I would be stupid if I thought that all by myself 🤪
Jokhshum03

Post by Jokhshum03 »

think you are probably one of those that think this job is difficult.
It isn't.
It's at best easy and at worst, as the poster says, boring.
maxiMatt

Post by maxiMatt »

Jokhshum03 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:14 pm
think you are probably one of those that think this job is difficult.
It isn't.
It's at best easy and at worst, as the poster says, boring.
no I am not but some drivers I have met I wonder how the tie their shoelaces on their own!
speSphinx

Post by speSphinx »

Ask for summat different and stop being frightened of ya gaffer
FaSublime

Post by FaSublime »

I done 22 years driving away then got something similar to what your saying and I hated for months!!! Now I think f**k driving all over the place no stress easy life 😎
nikDiscover

Post by nikDiscover »

Had a job like that, paid better than I'm on now that was 2003, wish I stayed, traffic is horrendous everywhere.
SmiExpert

Post by SmiExpert »

This is the place I would ask advice, check out some of the answers and you'll see why.
criidomen93

Post by criidomen93 »

SmiExpert wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:22 pm This is the place I would ask advice, check out some of the answers and you'll see why.
exactly what I was going to say
TonChell

Post by TonChell »

Start listening to audio books - you'll be surprised how quickly the day goes by, plus you'll expand your mind.
knoMine

Post by knoMine »

Choose the job that enables you to lead the life you want. You work to live if a little less money gives you a better balance take it. I would pick stones up in the yard if it meant a better social / family life
ThoShard

Post by ThoShard »

Are you not allowed to sleep in between the driving stints? You need to find something to do, otherwise it could do your head in and that’s def no good. Is there anyone you could swop with, even if it’s alternate nights, or weeks?
If it was me and I could sleep in between, I’d then find something to do in the daytime, might even find something bitty that pays a couple of quid, not driving related mind
Petkersco

Post by Petkersco »

Each to their own. Some would be delighted with a job like that.
I’ve worked in places where drivers do the same run every day.
I chose to be spare and cover every run on their days off as I like a bit of variation to my work.
Sometimes though the way the roads are now an easy number like that would be tempting.
ImrChari

Post by ImrChari »

I'm doing the same thing driving 3–4 hours a day out of 12 hours 4 on 4 off.
Yes..it's boring sometimes but money good and I have plenty of family time.
But if you're not happy then change job.
ingentzim08

Post by ingentzim08 »

It’s horses for courses mate. That job would be ideal for somebody, just not you by the sound of it. Have a word with your boss and tell him how you feel. If he’s decent he might put you on something else rather than lose you. If not then start looking for something that suits you better
PipContent

Post by PipContent »

If you’re happy to do it and it pays ok then carry on, if you want more of a challenge then look elsewhere. Depends if you’re happy with the same route or want a different challenge each day
ogPower45

Post by ogPower45 »

I was doing similar, basically just local shunting on generals so plenty strapping up, drops an swaps, keeping the mind busy.
Absolutely loved it work wise.
Got odd longer run or two a week an all so was nice to stretch, an still know you'll be parking it up an heading home.
Personally I'd Genuinely be asking myself if, in this day an age, do i really wanna be worrying about parking a wagon up for night anywhere in the uk now, an with all the bs attached for an extra £25 should I get stuck out due to the world's f**kery?
Exactly lol, I'd be staying well put an heading home end of each shift to be with me own if I'm lucky to have such, it's either a job or a lifestyle imop so pick to suit as the money ent no different either way nowadays so that arguments gone 😅👍
HeaHertz

Post by HeaHertz »

Once i pass id be happy shunting back and forth..no stress, no surprises
daipline25

Post by daipline25 »

All things come to an end sometime!! One minute ,one hour one week, one year. Stick with it & occupy your mind with learning something new on cd etc
MatGiggly

Post by MatGiggly »

I've been in a similar situation, I asked to be re-routed several times and always ended up sooner or later being put back on it. In the end I handed my notice in and then they called me asking why I'm going. Since that I've been re-routed 👍 I like my job, good wage, no nights out or weekends but I would have gone. If your not happy tell them, short of that, find something else 😁
ChamHero

Post by ChamHero »

Personally that sort of job would fill me with horror. I personally enjoy not knowing what I am doing next. Every day is different every job is different and am picking up some new knowledge every day. Some days are long some are short, but when all is said and done that's how I like it. Doing the same thing over and over like a robot is my idea of hell. But it's what suits you. Good thing about trucking is there are so many different jobs, shifts, whatever you don't have to to be bored day in day out until you die.
watExclusive

Post by watExclusive »

Talk to them. Tell them to give you a change or your off up the kermit
liaPrestige

Post by liaPrestige »

Listen to something interesting like audiobook or documentaries.
If you use well your time alone it won't be boring and you will be paid as you learn new things.
BecZime09

Post by BecZime09 »

If you are feeling like a change, don’t go back to your old job. See what is around and try something different. THEN if that does not work maybe go back to the old job, better the devil you know and all that
AndFalls

Post by AndFalls »

I drove to the same place every night for 6 years. Got used to it, listened to some great podcasts and audio books.
traStunna

Post by traStunna »

Only you can answer your question but being happy in a job is always good
steperife10

Post by steperife10 »

Some years ago as a courier I drove from Derby to Bank in the city of London to deliver some documents, I then drove back to Derby, collected another set of documents and delivered them to the same place, back to Derby and did it again. 780 miles in one day M1 North M1 South it was boring, never done it since.
BeaCrayon

Post by BeaCrayon »

It all depends on what you wanna do the opinion of others shouldn't be important
AnSpecials

Post by AnSpecials »

I do night trunk, ok, its dead man's shoes, have to put up with motorway closures a lot, money ok, not stressful, but a lot better than being treated like 3rd rate at delivery points and spoke to like crap, and very rare stuck in traffic as well
DanPerson

Post by DanPerson »

If you can take the financial hit then do what you enjoy doing
ScoJaden

Post by ScoJaden »

It’s about what’s right for you fella, we are all different what one of us might like or prefer might not be for the next driver
petterGinn

Post by petterGinn »

I think your post answers your own question. Not everyone can stand avoiding the same pothole every night let alone 4 times a night. Job sounds shit to me. You also have the option to go somewhere completely new if you want.
McMicerse

Post by McMicerse »

Always said this since day one
1. Job happiness
2. Job security
3. Money
psaChosen

Post by psaChosen »

McMicerse wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:00 pm Always said this since day one
1. Job happiness
2. Job security
3. Money
same here
ToFinest

Post by ToFinest »

Personally, I couldn’t do it. I would die of boredom, regardless of music podcasts etc. But that’s just me as I am new to driving and I get all excited when I go new places and get some challenges occasionally. I think you need to have a balance and if you are just bored but the money is good and you work just a few hours and get paid for more….maybe give it another couple of months?
rothunique

Post by rothunique »

Sounds like the easy life, I'd take it. With only 3 hours driving per shift you won't have to worry much about going over your hours.
I've done 30 years on the road then, a year and a half ago, I started shunting for one company through the agency and I've never looked back. I do some roadwork now and again, when the night trunker to Glasgow and back is off, but I'd rather be here all night, shunting, it's so much more of an easy, stress free life and I get job and knock so only do about 6 hours work per night. I'm hoping it doesn't ever change and I can keep doing this.
NorRonz

Post by NorRonz »

I’ve done trunking for 3 years, same route every shift. I get bored and want to do other work sometimes but I have kids and my job fits around my home life (as I start at 1pm) and to me home life takes priority.
danestype13

Post by danestype13 »

i would be like you dont like short runs, i would have a word with gaffer or look elsewhere.
KevGazer

Post by KevGazer »

Got to b happy in your work
jayVanderr

Post by jayVanderr »

It's a dilemma only one person can sort out and I'd say that person is you!!! just do what your happy doing
KinBloom

Post by KinBloom »

For me it's about being happy and enjoying the job ! The money is a consideration but not the most important factor but your circumstances might say the money is more important!
anaDelight

Post by anaDelight »

If ye like the place you’re working at then sit down with your gaffer and have a chat about it. Can only go two ways, either you’re left on it or you get back to some distance.
WarmTop

Post by WarmTop »

Many years ago I use to night trunk for ferry masters did this for around two years I found there was more comradeship in the early hours then there was in daylight hours! But then we the Cb for entertainment 🤪 we made the job work for us! Not the other way round!
PhDegree

Post by PhDegree »

I’m bored to f**k at my job buts safe secure paid very well with benefits better than I can find elsewhere…… I look elsewhere and I stay just have to make the most of it and appreciate the good bits.
Last edited by PhDegree on Tue May 02, 2023 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gramyerti81

Post by gramyerti81 »

Always do what is right for you. If you think a change is what you need then that's what you need. Nobody can tell you the best option for your own personal circumstances better than you can.
SymSim

Post by SymSim »

I can only say what my dad told me.
You spend more than half your waking life at work, you might as well do something you like. You should be happy in your mind.
jerrasp18

Post by jerrasp18 »

Pros an cons to every job role, it’s whether it can work for you or not.
BodBorg

Post by BodBorg »

If it’s not effecting your bottom line then I’d suggest sticking with it for a while, just keep your eyes open for new opportunities
herlinque97

Post by herlinque97 »

Never go back to your old job ....its never the same ! Been there done that
SteMediaa

Post by SteMediaa »

Constant repetition suits some but not others. Might be worth asking if you can be rotated with other drivers so you can get a break from it
graPierce

Post by graPierce »

You should be home at the end of your shift safe and sound you know where you are having your next meal know where the toilets are and if you break down you can always get home. And most definitely not get infringements or speeding tickets.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”