Struggling abit to find work I’m 24 with a clean class 1 license and cpc card no experience at all apart from

Ads by truck drivers looking for work
KyInterior63

Struggling abit to find work I’m 24 with a clean class 1 license and cpc card no experience at all apart from

Post by KyInterior63 »

Struggling abit to find work I’m 24 with a clean class 1 license and cpc card no experience at all apart from recovery driver with a 3.5t anyone got any suggestions were I can try? Based in Wakefield West Yorkshire
AdaWorman

Re: Struggling abit to find work I’m 24 with a clean class 1 license and cpc card no experience at all apart from

Post by AdaWorman »

Go with agency for a few months get the experience and I recon your heading the right way
KyInterior63

Re: Struggling abit to find work I’m 24 with a clean class 1 license and cpc card no experience at all apart from

Post by KyInterior63 »

AdaWorman wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:41 pm Go with agency for a few months get the experience and I recon your heading the right way
I’ve signed upto a few hopefully I get something 🤞
deaMegs01

Post by deaMegs01 »

Blakemore rubbish management but they take new pass and give you experience that's up at stanley
KyInterior63

Post by KyInterior63 »

deaMegs01 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:42 pm Blakemore rubbish management but they take new pass and give you experience that's up at stanley
cheers mate I’ll try them
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

Longs of leeds take on new drivers if it’s not too far
Send you our with driver trainer until your upto speed
Very laid back place
KyInterior63

Post by KyInterior63 »

chuGree wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:44 pm Longs of leeds take on new drivers if it’s not too far
Very laid back place
I’ll give them a try don’t think it’s too far seen their trucks about cheers
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

KyInterior63 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:44 pm
chuGree wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:44 pm Longs of leeds take on new drivers if it’s not too far
Very laid back place
easy down the link
Road to jnc 46 off at the springs not too
Bad if your not too far from M1 at your end
KyInterior63

Post by KyInterior63 »

chuGree wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:44 pm
KyInterior63 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:44 pm
Very laid back place
easy down the link
Road to jnc 46 off at the springs not too
Bad if your not too far from M1 at your end
im straight on m1 junction 40 ossett so would be ideal that thank you
StPrecise

Post by StPrecise »

Very laid back place
where are you looking for work? Have you tried agency work, they don’t seem to care about experience in my area as long as your legal. But maybe your age being 24 is the reason?
KyInterior63

Post by KyInterior63 »

StPrecise wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:46 pm
Very laid back place
where are you looking for work? Have you tried agency work, they don’t seem to care about experience in my area as long as your legal. But maybe your age being 24 is the reason?
yeah tried a few places yesterday nothing yet tho but might take a few days to sort it all most places said no because I’m not over 25
StPrecise

Post by StPrecise »

KyInterior63 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:46 pm
Very laid back place
yeah tried a few places yesterday nothing yet tho but might take a few days to sort it all most places said no because I’m not over 25
ye I had the same problem when I was your age I had to wait till 25
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

KyInterior63 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:46 pm

ye I had the same problem when I was your age I had to wait till 25
not my post
beaFree

Post by beaFree »

You can't be looking that hard bro..
scocape21

Post by scocape21 »

Can you drop your details off at local farmers that transport their own produce such as peas, carrots, onions, sugar beet etc from field to farm or factory.. That's how I started aged 21 (30 years ago).
Went from 6 speed Leyland to scania 112 overnight.
Worth a try.
KyInterior63

Post by KyInterior63 »

scocape21 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:49 pm Can you drop your details off at local farmers that transport their own produce such as peas, carrots, onions, sugar beet etc from field to farm or factory.. That's how I started aged 21 (30 years ago).
Went from 6 speed Leyland to scania 112 overnight.
Worth a try.
not thought about that I’ll have a look mate thanks
MunBlond

Post by MunBlond »

Agency. I got straight on agency at 23 with class 2
KnoGrant

Post by KnoGrant »

I'm afraid your another person who's been blindfolded by the driver shortage, I see this every day, good
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

KnoGrant wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:50 pm I'm afraid your another person who's been blindfolded by the driver shortage, I see this every day, good
good?
KnoGrant

Post by KnoGrant »

chuGree wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:51 pm
KnoGrant wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:50 pm I'm afraid your another person who's been blindfolded by the driver shortage, I see this every day, good
good?
that means what??
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

KnoGrant wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:51 pm
good?
that means what??
the end of your post says good … wondering why it’s a good thing
KnoGrant

Post by KnoGrant »

chuGree wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:52 pm
KnoGrant wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:51 pm

good?
that means what??
the end of your post says good … wondering why it’s a good thing
sorry should have read good luck xx
KyInterior63

Post by KyInterior63 »

most people I spoke to about driving before I passed said it’s a good job n all this soon as I’ve passed seems like everyone changed their mind and now saying don’t get into it 😂🙄
miJeans12

Post by miJeans12 »

KyInterior63 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:53 pm
most people I spoke to about driving before I passed said it’s a good job n all this soon as I’ve passed seems like everyone changed their mind and now saying don’t get into it 😂🙄
this job is run on mostly bullsh*t
JamEcho

Post by JamEcho »

Best advice is sign on with every agency, take some class 2 work if need be just to get your foot in the door, also Google your local haulage companies, drive round and try to have a face to face with the transport manager, introduce yourself. At your stage in the game it's pointless just sending off CV's because of your age and lack of experience. Most of the jobs I have ever had have been by word of mouth or chancing my luck at the company by turning up. Good luck 🤞 the job is great! Don't listen to the negativity, who cares if John did 17 years and says it's not worth doing, who cares if Chris left driving to stack shelves for a better wage, you focus on you. Take it on the chin for 6 months then you should be able to start looking for a job that suits you. Don't sit in the same bad job for 17 years and become a John and make sure the job you eventually get is a work life balance with the right pay, or you will become a Chris 😂😂
KyInterior63

Post by KyInterior63 »

JamEcho wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:55 pm Best advice is sign on with every agency, take some class 2 work if need be just to get your foot in the door, also Google your local haulage companies, drive round and try to have a face to face with the transport manager, introduce yourself. At your stage in the game it's pointless just sending off CV's because of your age and lack of experience. Most of the jobs I have ever had have been by word of mouth or chancing my luck at the company by turning up. Good luck 🤞 the job is great! Don't listen to the negativity, who cares if John did 17 years and says it's not worth doing, who cares if Chris left driving to stack shelves for a better wage, you focus on you. Take it on the chin for 6 months then you should be able to start looking for a job that suits you. Don't sit in the same bad job for 17 years and become a John and make sure the job you eventually get is a work life balance with the right pay, or you will become a Chris 😂😂
thanks mate I’ll go see some companies tomorrow got a few local ones I want to try 😊
JamEcho

Post by JamEcho »

KyInterior63 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:55 pm
JamEcho wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:55 pm Best advice is sign on with every agency, take some class 2 work if need be just to get your foot in the door, also Google your local haulage companies, drive round and try to have a face to face with the transport manager, introduce yourself. At your stage in the game it's pointless just sending off CV's because of your age and lack of experience. Most of the jobs I have ever had have been by word of mouth or chancing my luck at the company by turning up. Good luck 🤞 the job is great! Don't listen to the negativity, who cares if John did 17 years and says it's not worth doing, who cares if Chris left driving to stack shelves for a better wage, you focus on you. Take it on the chin for 6 months then you should be able to start looking for a job that suits you. Don't sit in the same bad job for 17 years and become a John and make sure the job you eventually get is a work life balance with the right pay, or you will become a Chris 😂😂
thanks mate I’ll go see some companies tomorrow got a few local ones I want to try 😊
all you can expect is to find a driver assessment, couple and uncoupling, 20min drive, back on a bay. If you get offered a job you will probably have someone driving with you for a week 👍
JefProdigy

Post by JefProdigy »

best advice so far 👌👌👍
leddurbi31

Post by leddurbi31 »

Try juice agency in Wakefield there ok but don't take me on it for new drivers but ino they have a good few places
KyInterior63

Post by KyInterior63 »

leddurbi31 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:57 pm Try juice agency in Wakefield there ok but don't take me on it for new drivers but ino they have a good few places
tried them mate they said no because of my age
crimerr44

Post by crimerr44 »

Try Reed Boardall, they take new passes
DunChamp

Post by DunChamp »

Wait till you 25 as most LGV insurance won’t cover you till 25
Maybe look at a temporary 7.5T job may get lucky but very few companies will take you on until 25
ownerOws

Post by ownerOws »

Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (62.73 KiB) Viewed 595 times
DraDrachm

Post by DraDrachm »

Are you willing to go to junction 38 m1?
KyInterior63

Post by KyInterior63 »

DraDrachm wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:01 pm Are you willing to go to junction 38 m1?
yes
DraDrachm

Post by DraDrachm »

KyInterior63 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:01 pm
DraDrachm wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:01 pm Are you willing to go to junction 38 m1?
yes
messaged you mate
MarJame

Post by MarJame »

Join an Agency. Go wherever they ask you to when they want you to. Keep your gob shut and do your job. If in doubt about how you carry out a task, ask. Persevere and eventually you will find employers asking for you by name. Favour the one you like best. when he needs a driver he will offer you a permanent job. Just one thing, make sure that whichever agency you join, it doesn't charge a fee if somebody takes you on. That is what puts a lot of employers off offering permanent employment.
chuGree

Post by chuGree »

MarJame wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:03 pm Join an Agency. Go wherever they ask you to when they want you to. Keep your gob shut and do your job. If in doubt about how you carry out a task, ask. Persevere and eventually you will find employers asking for you by name. Favour the one you like best. when he needs a driver he will offer you a permanent job. Just one thing, make sure that whichever agency you join, it doesn't charge a fee if somebody takes you on. That is what puts a lot of employers off offering permanent employment.
most agencies now do t charge a fee after 12 or 13 weeks any way
MarJame

Post by MarJame »

chuGree wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:03 pm
MarJame wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:03 pm Join an Agency. Go wherever they ask you to when they want you to. Keep your gob shut and do your job. If in doubt about how you carry out a task, ask. Persevere and eventually you will find employers asking for you by name. Favour the one you like best. when he needs a driver he will offer you a permanent job. Just one thing, make sure that whichever agency you join, it doesn't charge a fee if somebody takes you on. That is what puts a lot of employers off offering permanent employment.
most agencies now do t charge a fee after 12 or 13 weeks any way
Agencies offer no training or support for the drivers on their books. So why on earth should an employer pay them anything no matter what the period of time. But those agencies will still charge premium hourly rates to an employer, but only pay the driver a token percentage of it. There are a few decent agencies, that will cover NI contributions and treat you as an employee. but they are few!
thoNearly

Post by thoNearly »

Try Nationwide Platforms in Leeds. My brother is a mentor there and they're doing assessment drives on applicants. Your recovery experience may go in your favour for low loader work.

Return to “HGV truck drivers looking for work | Employment wanted”