After passing my theory, hazard perception and mod 2 yesterday I have my training booked in to start in 2 weeks.

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
NiRee189

After passing my theory, hazard perception and mod 2 yesterday I have my training booked in to start in 2 weeks.

Post by NiRee189 »

After passing my theory, hazard perception and mod 2 yesterday I have my training booked in to start in 2 weeks. I will be doing car to artic.
Few days in a rigid before morning on the the artic
I’ve never driving a rigid or an artic before.
Any tips for a complete newbie? I’ve being training myself to use my wing mirrors more and not the rear view one, getting used to checking he mirrors when I turn for trailer swing etc.
Any things else I could be doing?
Thanks in advance
emmZollo

Re: After passing my theory, hazard perception and mod 2 yesterday I have my training booked in to start in 2 weeks.

Post by emmZollo »

Take it slow, not saying do 20 in a 40, but don’t be racing towards junctions and roundabouts, be aware of what’s ahead. And don’t be afraid to straddle lanes if needed
Oh and check for dickheads overtaking on blind bends or undertaking you on the motorway.
JoBoardin

Re: After passing my theory, hazard perception and mod 2 yesterday I have my training booked in to start in 2 weeks.

Post by JoBoardin »

Make sure you are doing a very pbvious blind spot check.
Maybe not do it in a car but think about positioning, getting right on the right of the lane markings when entering roundabouts.
neepwre21

Post by neepwre21 »

They’ll teach you a fair bit as you go, but not a lot in the real world. Just take your time with everything, there’s no rush. Another thing to keep an eye on in the artic is the headboard of the trailer when coming round sharp corners. Head needs to be all over the place including blind spot and exaggerate it so the examiner can see you doing it, and don’t forget follow through mirror checks when passing high sided vehicles, pretty much anything bigger than a standard transit van size
psaChosen

Post by psaChosen »

my advise for you to help get you into the swing of it I work for ocado I was a van driver for 1year and 5 months but before that I drove for my grandad his van a fiat ducat maxi van and that involved alot of maneuvering and dealing with the handling of the road and positioning I would recommend you take your time and have a practice in a van to get use to using the mirrors alot as van doesn't have any rear view mirrors
I went straight for the artic from a car licence holder to an experience van driver as my firm only take class 1 C+E drivers so class 2 wouldn't been any use for me I managed to handle like a trooper and when I had my driving assessment yesterday the examiner was really impressed how I handled going round the bends and corners without hitting anyone or mounting the pavement or barriers or walls
NiRee189

Post by NiRee189 »

psaChosen wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:59 pm my advise for you to help get you into the swing of it I work for ocado I was a van driver for 1year and 5 months but before that I drove for my grandad his van a fiat ducat maxi van and that involved alot of maneuvering and dealing with the handling of the road and positioning I would recommend you take your time and have a practice in a van to get use to using the mirrors alot as van doesn't have any rear view mirrors
I went straight for the artic from a car licence holder to an experience van driver as my firm only take class 1 C+E drivers so class 2 wouldn't been any use for me I managed to handle like a trooper and when I had my driving assessment yesterday the examiner was really impressed how I handled going round the bends and corners without hitting anyone or mounting the pavement or barriers or walls
thank you. I’ve drive a few vans in the past and didn’t have any issues with it.
psaChosen

Post by psaChosen »

NiRee189 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:59 pm
psaChosen wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:59 pm my advise for you to help get you into the swing of it I work for ocado I was a van driver for 1year and 5 months but before that I drove for my grandad his van a fiat ducat maxi van and that involved alot of maneuvering and dealing with the handling of the road and positioning I would recommend you take your time and have a practice in a van to get use to using the mirrors alot as van doesn't have any rear view mirrors
thank you. I’ve drive a few vans in the past and didn’t have any issues with it.
thats good van cause trust me having van driving skills are handy when you are gonna look to move up the ranks
NiRee189

Post by NiRee189 »

psaChosen wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:00 pm
thats good van cause trust me having van driving skills are handy when you are gonna look to move up the ranks
I also had a drive in a pick up truck to assess my driving, tbh I found that more different than driving a van.
psaChosen

Post by psaChosen »

NiRee189 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:00 pm

I also had a drive in a pick up truck to assess my driving, tbh I found that more different than driving a van.
ah bless 😁 for me when I did my lessons I treated it like a van and took my time and went wide round bends
i am excited to start my new job as a HGV class 1 in 4 weeks time
NiRee189

Post by NiRee189 »

psaChosen wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:01 pm

ah bless 😁 for me when I did my lessons I treated it like a van and took my time and went wide round bends
I’m sure I’ll be fine though but I’d love to pass first time so taking as much on board as I can.
Congratulations on the job 🙂 would love to hear more about it
psaChosen

Post by psaChosen »

NiRee189 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:01 pm
psaChosen wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:01 pm

I’m sure I’ll be fine though but I’d love to pass first time so taking as much on board as I can.
Congratulations on the job 🙂 would love to hear more about it
I'm sure you will be fine put everything you learn into practice and you will fly I passed after 2nd attempt and didn't regret
Ianbertax30

Post by Ianbertax30 »

yeah ya on the van work mate I used to work in Dagenham Ocado no I’m Peterborough Ocado defo have to use mirrors especially with the dani lol got my mod 2 booked then onto class one gutted as now my local Ocado hgv is Dordon or Hatfield if I was still at Dagenham I could of stayed and gone your route
Last edited by Ianbertax30 on Thu May 04, 2023 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToFinest

Post by ToFinest »

I was the same buddy car straight to class 1 best advise I can give is check them mirrors and take your time buddy all the best for your test buddy
NiRee189

Post by NiRee189 »

ToFinest wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:04 pm I was the same buddy car straight to class 1 best advise I can give is check them mirrors and take your time buddy all the best for your test buddy
thank you
petthandi8

Post by petthandi8 »

If you you can get your hands on a big trailer for cars, or rent one and drive it around, just to get use to towing in traffic. Don't hit curb also reverse should be the same. ( get a long big car trailer )
rothunique

Post by rothunique »

Slow everything down listen to the instructor when they take you round the first time, they will tell you how much of each lane to use at junctions roundabouts I found the weird bit was watching more where the rear is than the front but you get the hang pretty quick, oh most obviously it’s not a car you need more room and time on roundabouts once you pass you can risk it but during lessons and test even if it takes 5 min or more for a space wait till absolutely sure any disruption to other traffic and it’s game over exceptions are where you have no choice say waiting for traffic to move out so you can turn in or narrow lanes it’s a lot to take in over a few days.
NiRee189

Post by NiRee189 »

rothunique wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:06 pm Slow everything down listen to the instructor when they take you round the first time, they will tell you how much of each lane to use at junctions roundabouts I found the weird bit was watching more where the rear is than the front but you get the hang pretty quick, oh most obviously it’s not a car you need more room and time on roundabouts once you pass you can risk it but during lessons and test even if it takes 5 min or more for a space wait till absolutely sure any disruption to other traffic and it’s game over exceptions are where you have no choice say waiting for traffic to move out so you can turn in or narrow lanes it’s a lot to take in over a few days.
thank you! Valuable advice and I will try and take it all on board
rothunique

Post by rothunique »

NiRee189 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:07 pm
rothunique wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:06 pm Slow everything down listen to the instructor when they take you round the first time, they will tell you how much of each lane to use at junctions roundabouts I found the weird bit was watching more where the rear is than the front but you get the hang pretty quick, oh most obviously it’s not a car you need more room and time on roundabouts once you pass you can risk it but during lessons and test even if it takes 5 min or more for a space wait till absolutely sure any disruption to other traffic and it’s game over exceptions are where you have no choice say waiting for traffic to move out so you can turn in or narrow lanes it’s a lot to take in over a few days.
thank you! Valuable advice and I will try and take it all on board
no problem I was same car to LGV it’s strange taking instructions especially if you have a few decades behind you 🤣🤣
NorRonz

Post by NorRonz »

Don't forget to check the blindspots
When you're on test you get 5 seconds to check both blindspots if you can't move safely you get another 5 seconds.
This is crucial also anytime you indicate L/R you need to check your mirrors in the direction you're indicating
Also when exiting a roundabout you need to check your N/S mirror
All this is simply to pass a test
Once passed you will develop your own way of driving.
Checking Blindspots will go out the window but I would advise to check the n,s mirror when exiting a roundabout cos you'll always get an arsehole trying to go round you on the nearside I've had plenty of arseholes do that
NiRee189

Post by NiRee189 »

NorRonz wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:08 pm Don't forget to check the blindspots
When you're on test you get 5 seconds to check both blindspots if you can't move safely you get another 5 seconds.
This is crucial also anytime you indicate L/R you need to check your mirrors in the direction you're indicating
Also when exiting a roundabout you need to check your N/S mirror
All this is simply to pass a test
Once passed you will develop your own way of driving.
Checking Blindspots will go out the window but I would advise to check the n,s mirror when exiting a roundabout cos you'll always get an arsehole trying to go round you on the nearside I've had plenty of arseholes do that
thank you. Good advice.
gurftwart56

Post by gurftwart56 »

Half the battle is approaching things at a sensible enough speed to give you a chance to think and assess things.
If you can try and keep the truck rolling by reading the road, roundabouts junctions etc.
You'll need far more room than you first realise going from car to truck.
So Positioning is important. For example if your in near side lane at roundabouts position off side wheels on white lines to avoid clipping curbs just be aware of cars bollocking around you. Let them go if you need to pinch there lane and space.
Smaller roundabouts on approach don't be scared to straddle lanes or Position the truck so nobody can get past that way you know you've all the room you need.
Be greedy without entering the ridiculous.
And obvious one. Mirrors, mirrors and mirrors. 🤣
NiRee189

Post by NiRee189 »

gurftwart56 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:09 pm Half the battle is approaching things at a sensible enough speed to give you a chance to think and assess things.
If you can try and keep the truck rolling by reading the road, roundabouts junctions etc.
So Positioning is important. For example if your in near side lane at roundabouts position off side wheels on white lines to avoid clipping curbs just be aware of cars bollocking around you. Let them go if you need to pinch there lane and space.
Smaller roundabouts on approach don't be scared to straddle lanes or Position the truck so nobody can get past that way you know you've all the room you need.
thanks for the advice. I know I have a lot to learn but can’t wait to get started
gurftwart56

Post by gurftwart56 »

NiRee189 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:09 pm
gurftwart56 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:09 pm Half the battle is approaching things at a sensible enough speed to give you a chance to think and assess things.
thanks for the advice. I know I have a lot to learn but can’t wait to get started
No problem mate.
Take your time,
It's daunting and nerve wracking to begin with and you'll make mistakes, clip curbs, start turning wheel wrong way on reverse etc.
Just try to keep calm and your head and forget about any errors when training and learn from them for test and driving
danestype13

Post by danestype13 »

Is the training company putting you in a rigid first? The only issue I see there is, they are both totally different from each other and may cause you confusion while training, which in turn will affect you to be test ready on the day! If you were training to pass C first then yeah but not for C+E. 👍
Good luck anyway fella, remember follow through checks on both passenger and driver side on anything bigger than a van on narrow roads or villages. This is what the examiner failed me for on my 1st test, mainly the driver side mirror through villages etc..
LauFlats

Post by LauFlats »

Yeah mate should of tried driving a van for a while!
I did from car to class 1 few days in a class 2 to get used to size of vehicle.
Then class 1
The strangest thing is getting out of a class 1 or class 2 then sitting in ya car.
Especially if it's a sporty model!
Don't get straight back into your car and drive off give yourself a few minutes.
The first time you do it you'll know what I mean.........
Ps
Good luck 🤞
NiRee189

Post by NiRee189 »

LauFlats wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:11 pm Yeah mate should of tried driving a van for a while!
I did from car to class 1 few days in a class 2 to get used to size of vehicle.
Then class 1
The strangest thing is getting out of a class 1 or class 2 then sitting in ya car.
Especially if it's a sporty model!
Don't get straight back into your car and drive off give yourself a few minutes.
The first time you do it you'll know what I mean.........
Ps
Good luck 🤞
thanks, good advice
KevGazer

Post by KevGazer »

I did car to C+E with 3 days in a rigid before moving to the artic. All the above advice is really good stuff. Remember you'll have some weight behind you, brake early and take it steady approaching traffic lights. Also, if other vehicles hinder your driving take a moment and let what ever situation has occurred resolve itself. Take time getting used to the length of the vehicle, particularly making sure you can fully clear a roundabout or junction before setting off. Goo luck!
ruiRugger

Post by ruiRugger »

Nice and slow on corners and round abouts and take them a little wider than you normally would. Instructor will give you plenty of tips and anything your unsure of ASK. 👍🏼
jayVanderr

Post by jayVanderr »

My advice is don't do anything until you jump into as you over think things which won't help, listen to your instructor and he will show you how
BonNess

Post by BonNess »

I've got my theory and hazard perception and case studies on the 2nd May. The case studies are vexing me, any tips ?
KinBloom

Post by KinBloom »

BonNess wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:13 pm I've got my theory and hazard perception and case studies on the 2nd May. The case studies are vexing me, any tips ?
it's very easy. The questions are the same as the theory questions just worded to match the case studies. Get the app if your struggling
mohotteri85

Post by mohotteri85 »

car to Class 1 is what i did and i dont regret it!

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”