Any new passes managed to get a 'decent' full time permanent HGV job in 2023 yet? I passed in November and by end of

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
steSpyder4

Re: Any new passes managed to get a 'decent' full time permanent HGV job in 2023 yet? I passed in November and by end of

Post by steSpyder4 »

HaMaggid wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:38 am
steSpyder4 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:38 am Okay, here it is from a different perspective..... many years ago, a 23 year old class 1 driver who had only been driving a mobile library called me wanting a job. I was still 25 when he started asking me for a job doing continental class 1 work. I kept putting him off, but a few months later he appeared in my yard right at the time I was needing a driver. I told him I was a bit busy right then but if he hung about for a wee while I would talk to him. He was very keen and asked if he could help, so I sent him to the petrol station with my Turbostar to fill it up, then when he came back I asked him to hook up to a trailer and back it in my very narrow garage door. He did well and he got a job. He double manned a Scania to Spain and got caught up in a Spanish driver strike, which I thought would have put him off as it was a bit violent and lots of damage was done. Anyway, he said he was raring to go, so he double manned the Scania on another trip, then on trip 3 he was solo but running alongside another of mine. trip 4 he was totally on his own and did several drops with forklifts around Spain, reloading fruit for home. He did very well. Trip 5 he did forklifts out again and reloaded onions, but within 5 mins of driving with the onions he made a mistake and turned the truck over and he lost his life. He was 23, I was 26....... it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do to tell his parents..... that was 1990 and all of my life I have wondered if he would still be alive if I hadn't given him that job............... I will take that to my own grave.... One of his mates had previously written to "Truck" magazine about his mate highlighting the dilemma of needing 2 years experience to get a job but how do you get the experience... then after my driver and friend died, the same mate of his wrote to the same magazine saying that I was an unscrupulous haulier for starting him at 23 with no experience!!!!! I was 21 when I got my HGV and started right off as an owner driver as I bought a truck right after my 21st birthday and put a temp driver on until I could get my test. I was 23 when I started doing Spain..... I feel your pain, I definitely do..... but above is my own experience and one I hope nobody else needs to have.
that's hard man, I'm sorry. But I truly hope you believe me when I say it wasn't your fault. To this day the big accidents on the roads that kill are usually the older and veteran drivers. My point is that stuff like this happens and is part of the risk we all take. Mad respect to you.
thanks for that, and deep down I know if I refused him, he would have got another job and maybe same thing happened, doubtful, but could have. His parents, especially his father were very supportive and told me that in no way was I to blame as the truck was 100% and their son was in charge of the driving 100%. He'd also just had a 15 hour break. Still, a young man lost his life in his prime for a mistake.
steSpyder4

Re: Any new passes managed to get a 'decent' full time permanent HGV job in 2023 yet? I passed in November and by end of

Post by steSpyder4 »

HaMaggid wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:38 am
steSpyder4 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:38 am Okay, here it is from a different perspective..... many years ago, a 23 year old class 1 driver who had only been driving a mobile library called me wanting a job. I was still 25 when he started asking me for a job doing continental class 1 work. I kept putting him off, but a few months later he appeared in my yard right at the time I was needing a driver. I told him I was a bit busy right then but if he hung about for a wee while I would talk to him. He was very keen and asked if he could help, so I sent him to the petrol station with my Turbostar to fill it up, then when he came back I asked him to hook up to a trailer and back it in my very narrow garage door. He did well and he got a job. He double manned a Scania to Spain and got caught up in a Spanish driver strike, which I thought would have put him off as it was a bit violent and lots of damage was done. Anyway, he said he was raring to go, so he double manned the Scania on another trip, then on trip 3 he was solo but running alongside another of mine. trip 4 he was totally on his own and did several drops with forklifts around Spain, reloading fruit for home. He did very well. Trip 5 he did forklifts out again and reloaded onions, but within 5 mins of driving with the onions he made a mistake and turned the truck over and he lost his life. He was 23, I was 26....... it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do to tell his parents..... that was 1990 and all of my life I have wondered if he would still be alive if I hadn't given him that job............... I will take that to my own grave.... One of his mates had previously written to "Truck" magazine about his mate highlighting the dilemma of needing 2 years experience to get a job but how do you get the experience... then after my driver and friend died, the same mate of his wrote to the same magazine saying that I was an unscrupulous haulier for starting him at 23 with no experience!!!!! I was 21 when I got my HGV and started right off as an owner driver as I bought a truck right after my 21st birthday and put a temp driver on until I could get my test. I was 23 when I started doing Spain..... I feel your pain, I definitely do..... but above is my own experience and one I hope nobody else needs to have.
that's hard man, I'm sorry. But I truly hope you believe me when I say it wasn't your fault. To this day the big accidents on the roads that kill are usually the older and veteran drivers. My point is that stuff like this happens and is part of the risk we all take. Mad respect to you.
see the bit about the fatal accidents involving the older drivers? Is there statistics to show that anywhere? I'm not saying you're wrong, and I'm not annoyed as an older driver that you're saying that, not in any way, but I haven't heard that until today and I do like statistics and would be really interested to see something to either back this up or knock it back (Y)
HaySunny

Post by HaySunny »

god gave us all Alice for some he gives a long haul and others get a short haul(no pun intended). You gave the man a chance to follow his dream. Then his time on this earth was over. My mother died at 44 yrs of age she bore nine children eight survived to lead long and useful lives. Her job was done. Well done for giving the man who became your friend his job.
ThorGolden

Post by ThorGolden »

Lad I know passed at the beginning of Feb, he starts a full time job on Monday £40k a year
broAnhart

Post by broAnhart »

Main issue is location. They only really want midland drivers towards London or port work. It's nonsense else where.
TanRadiant

Post by TanRadiant »

Passed mid November after waiting a couple of years to be able to afford to do the test. Got offered a job mid December to start beginning of Jan, 8 weeks in now and loving it. No dream sold to me it was something I wanted to do for a long time, but I do bring home double what I did in my warehouse job of 20yrs. A lot of people blame all the new passes for the wages being rubbish but I think that’s bo**ocks to be honest, pay is rubbish in many industries at the moment especially compared to the cost of living while the country is on its arse.
dawGrackle

Post by dawGrackle »

Passed in September. Started class1 permanently in November.
mickCart97

Post by mickCart97 »

Passed my Class one last March. Two assessments. Both passed. Not been near an artic since. Several companies and agencies saying they have work for you that never materializes. I've fast leaned that a lot of people in this industry just talk a load of BS. I've only ever gotten Class 2 work, which I'm happy to do to cut my teeth, but I feel that nearly a year on I'm worthy of a go now.
KniCasual

Post by KniCasual »

Got Class 1 in July last year, got in with Fowler Welch in October after moving back to Lincs.
I got very lucky. I didn't give up my Class 2 job until all the contract was signed.
How did I do it? Applied for all there was in the area and made nuisance phone calls to said companies until I got an assessment.
aladorm39

Post by aladorm39 »

Just balg um say you been working for others 🤣
Woolinxis

Post by Woolinxis »

Get experience on the road in a class2...
Much easier to make the jump afterwards
GuzGumbo

Post by GuzGumbo »

Jan and Feb are always deadge. I've been ticking over on agency,
TyrHerald

Post by TyrHerald »

Same, passed in January, nothing so far not even part time. And the hourly rate I've been offered, make more money selling wholesale lube on eBay.
AvenueAvr

Post by AvenueAvr »

Try Juice Personell, they are an agency based in Wakefield. They have drivers working in Next and Morrisons.
stPhoenix

Post by stPhoenix »

Last year they was taking new passes everywhere, this year even the shit places want a year experience, I just had a text of logistic people saying 1 years experience for a company that probably pay 13.00
farinform41

Post by farinform41 »

Agencies for new passers is way i would recommend, there are companies that will take NP, not the best but will get you experience, Stobbarts, dhl, asda, etc
CountryCo

Post by CountryCo »

I got one with a local firm I feel lucky they have given me loads of support it's good work as well and a decent wage.
Shame not more like it I've heard horror stories about how some drivers are treated
JamThrill

Post by JamThrill »

I know you said full-time, but I've been getting consistent agency work for almost a year. There's been a couple of spells when I wasn't getting five shifts a week, but overall I've still earned decent money. Speak to several agencies and stick with the best one.
lesMohawk

Post by lesMohawk »

Goldstar Leeds are looking for night drivers nothing available on days very rare any of us leave it's container work mostly in and out of next and rail heads guaranteed hrs give them a try
GenReader

Post by GenReader »

Totally down to luck I suppose I passed and within 2 days walked into a job driving Class 1.
JamCinco

Post by JamCinco »

Yup, straight away. Driving 7 months ish now, been doing all kind of flat bed work and wide/long loads. And had the displeasure of a curtain sider today 🥲
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (62.65 KiB) Viewed 252 times
vanLinkin

Post by vanLinkin »

I've had work every week since passing in May. Been full time tramping since August.
MatDouble

Post by MatDouble »

keestailly76 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:06 am What do you class as decent?
five day a week, regular permanent with average pay
LewAgent

Post by LewAgent »

Unless you get onto a small family run business or accept shitty pay like stobarts and put the work in for a a year or two and put up with the shit wages you won't get any work that the news are saying drivers can earn, it's always dead in Jan and Feb. Every single year, so if you are going to look for work, find all your agency work
midefide94

Post by midefide94 »

I was lucky in the sense I started at DHL as class 2, they put me through my class 1. Then culina/stobarts took over.
KonnTrendy

Post by KonnTrendy »

I passed in October last year from car to class 1 and i had no luck in finding a class 1 job. I've ended up doing Class 2 to get some experience in an attempt to go to Class 1 afterwards
VuoMore

Post by VuoMore »

When I passed I was in the same boat, 4 years on still struggling as a agency w***ker 🤣🤣
It will pick up hopefully mate, Jan/Feb/March always been shite for agency work, but having close to not much experience your probably better off on agency like me, until you get over that 2 year gap 👍🏼 good luck
pekeritzer43

Post by pekeritzer43 »

I was lucky I passed February 11th last year and I had a job driving mixers lined up for the being of March so keep trying there is jobs out that that take new drivers
coxrvey11

Post by coxrvey11 »

I'm a newby here too (Pontefract) I've applied numerous companies and agencies and not 1 that got in touch with me not even Warburton or Muller! I've had emails saying not successful but they do recruit newbies! I've had 2 that got in touch but they are Monday to Saturday tramping which I've declined because then I'd have no life! However I heard that Jan to March is very quiet
RayDeluxe

Post by RayDeluxe »

I passed last year, fail few driving assessments, it was tough going, friend got me a job and I've been here nearly a year now
neeAkron

Post by neeAkron »

I've had a full time job at same place for 7 years... never known it so bad. In at 5pm and home by 10:30.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”