Hi guys and girls.. looking for a bit of advice If I can, I've very recently passed my class 1, funded by a company

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
LeiEssence

Re: Hi guys and girls.. looking for a bit of advice If I can, I've very recently passed my class 1, funded by a company

Post by LeiEssence »

UltimaUlf wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:02 pm It happens at places I know all of a sudden cant finish late on Friday need to pick kids up at 2pm can't do this cant do that can't do weekends you needed to look at truck driving criteria before now as it's a ball ache not the Monday to Friday 8hr £50000 bollocks that got half these people into taking a test you need to come with the attitude its 13 to15hr shifts and a night out and then your day can only get better
I'm fully aware of the hours involved being a truck driver.. but when your told you can have 5am or 6am starts, then put on 3pm starts, that's a tad different
UltimaUlf

Re: Hi guys and girls.. looking for a bit of advice If I can, I've very recently passed my class 1, funded by a company

Post by UltimaUlf »

LeiEssence wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:03 pm
UltimaUlf wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:02 pm It happens at places I know all of a sudden cant finish late on Friday need to pick kids up at 2pm can't do this cant do that can't do weekends you needed to look at truck driving criteria before now as it's a ball ache not the Monday to Friday 8hr £50000 bollocks that got half these people into taking a test you need to come with the attitude its 13 to15hr shifts and a night out and then your day can only get better
I'm fully aware of the hours involved being a truck driver.. but when your told you can have 5am or 6am starts, then put on 3pm starts, that's a tad different
agreed a bit unfare
DavJunco

Post by DavJunco »

don't you mean, I need to finish early Friday because I'm going to skeg...again. just like last week and the week before. So on
UltimaUlf

Post by UltimaUlf »

DavJunco wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:07 pm
don't you mean, I need to finish early Friday because I'm going to skeg...again. just like last week and the week before. So on
yes that's the one I'm drying out my liver needs a shock start and what diabetes
IanWayment

Post by IanWayment »

I agree, the amount of times I’ve heard “I’ve got the kids this weekend “ blah blah blah. The same people saying they had to be home for the kids on a Saturday night (I do theatre transport and Saturday nights are our busiest) yet if there was a corporate job abroad in a hotel surprisingly they no longer needed to be home!
marMorne88

Post by marMorne88 »

lol if that's what you choose to do mate. Don't criticise a person for actually wanting to work to live instead of living to work.
KevKeyman

Post by KevKeyman »

Talk to ACAS it’s a better place to get information
IanWayment

Post by IanWayment »

KevKeyman wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:10 pm Talk to ACAS it’s a better place to get information
he doesn’t have a leg to stand on with regards to legal recourse, I suspect that it’s a standard employment contract (probably generic) and it’s him that’s requesting “special “ treatment.
LeiEssence

Post by LeiEssence »

IanWayment wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:11 pm
KevKeyman wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:10 pm Talk to ACAS it’s a better place to get information
he doesn’t have a leg to stand on with regards to legal recourse, I suspect that it’s a standard employment contract (probably generic) and it’s him that’s requesting “special “ treatment.
I've signed no contract though
IanWayment

Post by IanWayment »

LeiEssence wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:11 pm
but surely everything was spelt out to you before you embarked on the driver training? It’s a common misnomer that you need to sign a contract for it to be legal and binding, it doesn’t. Unless you write to the company categorically contesting the terms unfortunately you don’t have a leg to stand on. Maybe you would have better off paying for the training yourself then you wouldn’t be in this position.
You’ve done well to have got a company to pay for training, I’m afraid it’s a case of working for them until the training is paid back then do one.
LeiEssence

Post by LeiEssence »

IanWayment wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:12 pm

but surely everything was spelt out to you before you embarked on the driver training? It’s a common misnomer that you need to sign a contract for it to be legal and binding, it doesn’t. Unless you write to the company categorically contesting the terms unfortunately you don’t have a leg to stand on. Maybe you would have better off paying for the training yourself then you wouldn’t be in this position.
You’ve done well to have got a company to pay for training, I’m afraid it’s a case of working for them until the training is paid back then do one.
this is why I'm trying to seek advice etc, was told I can work 5am to 6am starts, hence why I proceeded with the training.. to then be told I have to start at 3pm and there refusing to budge, are they in breach of contract, I can't see how I'm breach of contract if I'm not refusing to work, I just physically cannot work them shifts.. so who gives and where etc.. I appreciate your advice though
IanWayment

Post by IanWayment »

LeiEssence wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:12 pm

this is why I'm trying to seek advice etc, was told I can work 5am to 6am starts, hence why I proceeded with the training.. to then be told I have to start at 3pm and there refusing to budge, are they in breach of contract, I can't see how I'm breach of contract if I'm not refusing to work, I just physically cannot work them shifts.. so who gives and where etc.. I appreciate your advice though
In reality you’ve both “breached the contract” , just be aware they probably have a legal team at the end of the the phone 24/7 and the money to persue you through the courts for damages etc. In all honesty mate, just go a long with the work and whilst you’re doing that talk to them and also keep looking for another job elsewhere. Planners and transport managers never keep their word unless there’s something in it for them.
KevKeyman

Post by KevKeyman »

LeiEssence wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:12 pm

In reality you’ve both “breached the contract” , just be aware they probably have a legal team at the end of the the phone 24/7 and the money to persue you through the courts for damages etc. In all honesty mate, just go a long with the work and whilst you’re doing that talk to them and also keep looking for another job elsewhere. Planners and transport managers never keep their word unless there’s something in it for them.
read the rest of what you said , and can’t really fault it acas can give him the gen on employment rights a contract of employment has to be in place within 3
3 months to issue employment contract if he hasn’t signed one already
A verbal agreement is legally binding but harder to prove either way, he can talk to the employer and express issues over start times etc and work days/nights and if the advert for the job was for days then that can back him up,
UpBright

Post by UpBright »

Should know in this job..
Rule Nr.1 don't make plans...
deeWise5

Post by deeWise5 »

Lots of people here need to find an employer that will work for them. I only work 3.5 days a week as I need to work opposite to my missus due to one child not going to school yet. I put the work in and start 4am every day I am in. I am not on a mega pay rate but they know I am reliable and won't smash stuff up.
PorSocial

Post by PorSocial »

Welcome to truck driving!
You will be very lucky to find a job starting at 8 and finish at five and no weekends driving a truck! Please don’t take this the wrong way but maybe truck driving is for you. It’s not for everyone.
LeiEssence

Post by LeiEssence »

PorSocial wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:15 pm Welcome to truck driving!
You will be very lucky to find a job starting at 8 and finish at five and no weekends driving a truck! Please don’t take this the wrong way but maybe truck driving is for you. It’s not for everyone.
I know what hours truck drivers work, I've been around the industry most my life, my issue is I was told I would be starting between 5-6 am, to then be put on 3pm shifts and told to like it or lump it effectively, just doesn't seem right to me
PorSocial

Post by PorSocial »

LeiEssence wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:15 pm
PorSocial wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:15 pm Welcome to truck driving!
I know what hours truck drivers work, I've been around the industry most my life, my issue is I was told I would be starting between 5-6 am, to then be put on 3pm shifts and told to like it or lump it effectively, just doesn't seem right to me
agreed, but truck driving is not a 9 to 5 job and no employer can guarantee you that you will never be late home or that you will never be asked to work a Saturday or Sunday. Contract changes, some of the drivers leave and do you think that can pick the shifts that you want? Yes most employers will work with you and try and give you what you want but sometimes they can’t give you what you want.
nathGrey

Post by nathGrey »

No and you must have a gentleman’s agreement unless you’ve signed agreement in front of a solicitor you can walk a way and set a payment plan up the employer because you don’t want a bad debt to follow you around in transport game
PadFreex

Post by PadFreex »

Welcome to the real life of driving.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”