Hi guys and girls.. looking for a bit of advice If I can, I've very recently passed my class 1, funded by a company

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
LeiEssence

Hi guys and girls.. looking for a bit of advice If I can, I've very recently passed my class 1, funded by a company

Post by LeiEssence »

Hi guys and girls.. looking for a bit of advice If I can, I've very recently passed my class 1, funded by a company and job at the end of it.. the issue is, when I spoke to them. Told them I had kids etc. and can't work weekends, so they said I can do Monday to Friday day shift.. brilliant.. although now they've put me on Monday to Friday 3pm starts. Which means I won't be getting home till around 6am at the earliest, the following morning, therefore not being able to see My kids, and not being able to pick my daughter up on a Friday either.. which they knew of, I've not signed a contract or anything along them lines which I also find a tad strange, so what are my options? Am I likely to walk away without owing them anything or can I make them change my shifts in line with what they offered me?
Any help would be fantastic
graPierce

Re: Hi guys and girls.. looking for a bit of advice If I can, I've very recently passed my class 1, funded by a company

Post by graPierce »

Don't become a lorry driver if you want to be home all the time simples
LeiEssence

Re: Hi guys and girls.. looking for a bit of advice If I can, I've very recently passed my class 1, funded by a company

Post by LeiEssence »

graPierce wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:48 am Don't become a lorry driver if you want to be home all the time simples
it's not a case of being home all the time, I understand the hours involved being a hgv driver, but when I'm not getting what I've been offered. That's a different story
artMutivity

Post by artMutivity »

LeiEssence wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:48 am
graPierce wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:48 am Don't become a lorry driver if you want to be home all the time simples
it's not a case of being home all the time, I understand the hours involved being a hgv driver, but when I'm not getting what I've been offered. That's a different story
you never get what your offered. That's the carrot to get you in there, then they screw you over. I was tramping but got fed up of constantly walking in house late Friday so I'm looking for a new career. If a shelf stacker could do the same hrs we do they would make the same money, the jobs sh*t
painfort44

Post by painfort44 »

what a useless answer...
GarLasting

Post by GarLasting »

not the case now mate, I do stores, and can choose 9, 11 hour shifts,
ollCulver44

Post by ollCulver44 »

not the case. I work Monday to Friday and get my own start times within reason home early start early. Home every night. It depends on what job you choose to go for depends on the outcome. There’s a job out there for every situation
FosChalice

Post by FosChalice »

Rubbish, it isn’t Slave labour ffs I do a 40 hours on Monday to Friday and O/T on weekends if I want. It’s about finding the job that suits your lifestyle not someone else’s
claindo99

Post by claindo99 »

Firstly.. talk to them!! Remind them of the conversation/agreement you had. If that fails then just tell them you will have to leave. If you haven't signed anything to say you will pay it back then you are laughing.
macPharos

Post by macPharos »

claindo99 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:59 am Firstly.. talk to them!! Remind them of the conversation/agreement you had. If that fails then just tell them you will have to leave. If you haven't signed anything to say you will pay it back then you are laughing.
don’t just talk. Write or put it in an email. Having proof that they’ve changed the hours offered will get you out of any liability regarding costs if you decide to leave.
painfort44

Post by painfort44 »

Pretty sure the old, we'll pay for your licence and if you leave within a certain period you have to pay it back, is an unenforceable contract. Especially if you didn't sign anything. That being said, they'll probably just keep your last pay check and let you try and claim it..
GarLasting

Post by GarLasting »

painfort44 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:01 pm Pretty sure the old, we'll pay for your licence and if you leave within a certain period you have to pay it back, is an unenforceable contract. Especially if you didn't sign anything. That being said, they'll probably just keep your last pay check and let you try and claim it..
don’t say your leaving if that’s the intention, if he hasn’t signed anything surely there’s no contact to uphold
painfort44

Post by painfort44 »

GarLasting wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:02 pm
painfort44 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:01 pm Pretty sure the old, we'll pay for your licence and if you leave within a certain period you have to pay it back, is an unenforceable contract. Especially if you didn't sign anything. That being said, they'll probably just keep your last pay check and let you try and claim it..
don’t say your leaving if that’s the intention, if he hasn’t signed anything surely there’s no contact to uphold
they'd probably claim it was a verbal contract or some other Sh*t...
GarLasting

Post by GarLasting »

painfort44 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:03 pm
suppose it depends on the company but wouldn’t think a verbal would stand up in a small claims court, not sure though
painfort44

Post by painfort44 »

GarLasting wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:03 pm

suppose it depends on the company but wouldn’t think a verbal would stand up in a small claims court, not sure though
like I said, they'll probably just hold nun your last paycheck and leave it to you to try claim it back...
Waacemin

Post by Waacemin »

painfort44 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:04 pm

like I said, they'll probably just hold nun your last paycheck and leave it to you to try claim it back...
well it works both ways they have broke there side of the agreement. But thats what companys do there all bullsiters to be fair.
chuMurphy

Post by chuMurphy »

I bet like the one I have just done at work which they paid for you sign for it when you sign documents to start the training which keeps you for a year and if you leave before you have to pay a certain % back
painfort44

Post by painfort44 »

chuMurphy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:05 pm

I bet like the one I have just done at work which they paid for you sign for it when you sign documents to start the training which keeps you for a year and if you leave before you have to pay a certain % back
that's still an unenforceable contract, it's classed as on the job training, if it went to court, they'd lose, but it never does, they just deduct it from your wages and leave it to you to take them to court, which no one ever does....
chuMurphy

Post by chuMurphy »

painfort44 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:06 pm

that's still an unenforceable contract, it's classed as on the job training, if it went to court, they'd lose, but it never does, they just deduct it from your wages and leave it to you to take them to court, which no one ever does....
no mate when you sign up for the training you enter into the contract
painfort44

Post by painfort44 »

chuMurphy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:06 pm

that's what they want you to think..
chuMurphy

Post by chuMurphy »

painfort44 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:07 pm

to be honest it is fine with me as I can get the experience I need so all good for me really
painfort44

Post by painfort44 »

chuMurphy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:07 pm

to be honest it is fine with me as I can get the experience I need so all good for me really
yeah, most drivers are pretty honorable people that'll honor it....
And like you said, you can use the time to get some experience..
FosChalice

Post by FosChalice »

painfort44 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:08 pm
chuMurphy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:07 pm

yeah, most drivers are pretty honorable people that'll honor it....
And like you said, you can use the time to get some experience..
yep the Bully method
emmZollo

Post by emmZollo »

Simply speak to them, they may have received funding to put you through.
However and this is something you really need to consider. January is just around the corner and work is always slow, you've just passed and there's not many companies taking on new passes with less than 6 months experience. Not every shift can start at 3pm and end at 6am simply due to needing 11 hours off at least twice a week. I'd say stay where you are at least for 6 months or you may find yourself jobless just as the country fall on its ass.
GarLasting

Post by GarLasting »

emmZollo wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:09 pm Simply speak to them, they may have received funding to put you through.
However and this is something you really need to consider. January is just around the corner and work is always slow, you've just passed and there's not many companies taking on new passes with less than 6 months experience. Not every shift can start at 3pm and end at 6am simply due to needing 11 hours off at least twice a week. I'd say stay where you are at least for 6 months or you may find yourself jobless just as the country fall on its ass.
I noticed he put starting at three and finishing at earliest 6 in morning,
ScoCuisse

Post by ScoCuisse »

GarLasting wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:09 pm
emmZollo wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:09 pm Simply speak to them, they may have received funding to put you through.
yep, saw that too
Attachments
Photo.jpg
Photo.jpg (61.18 KiB) Viewed 876 times
ShaDarth

Post by ShaDarth »

working nights I’d do 10 hours 3 stop at 1 am
GarLasting

Post by GarLasting »

ShaDarth wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:12 pm
I start at 14,30, was doing mainly 11,12 hour shifts, was of for a couple months with back issues, told company I want max ten hours, best thing i did
ShaDarth

Post by ShaDarth »

GarLasting wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:12 pm
ShaDarth wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:12 pm

I start at 14,30, was doing mainly 11,12 hour shifts, was of for a couple months with back issues, told company I want max ten hours, best thing i did
I o my work 4 days 3 nights out 3 days off do t work Fridays anymore companies think they own you
LeiEssence

Post by LeiEssence »

yeah I meant with my hours commute home, should have made that clear, sorry for that
colDwale25

Post by colDwale25 »

sound advice that
emmZollo

Post by emmZollo »

colDwale25 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:15 pm
sound advice that
I think any new pass turning down any job right now is crazy, it's hard enough for many in fact I know of a fair few experienced drivers struggling to find work although to be fair they are obviously trying to choose what suits them best.
NiRee189

Post by NiRee189 »

Finish at 6 still able to drop them at school. Beware of if u leave your company, u may need to pay back the training cost.
I'm afternoon start but mostly able to finish just after midnight. I drop my son to school in the morning, back home for another nap before go to work
GraKistvaen

Post by GraKistvaen »

NiRee189 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:16 pm Finish at 6 still able to drop them at school. Beware of if u leave your company, u may need to pay back the training cost.
I'm afternoon start but mostly able to finish just after midnight. I drop my son to school in the morning, back home for another nap before go to work
great life that mate any jobs going 🤣🤣🤣🤣
NiRee189

Post by NiRee189 »

GraKistvaen wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:18 pm
NiRee189 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:16 pm Finish at 6 still able to drop them at school. Beware of if u leave your company, u may need to pay back the training cost.
well, I always be a spare driver, so sit for 3 hours then go home for dinner
GraKistvaen

Post by GraKistvaen »

NiRee189 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:18 pm
GraKistvaen wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:18 pm
well, I always be a spare driver, so sit for 3 hours then go home for dinner
tbf mate everybody to there own but I spend as much time at home as possible driving these shit trucks is way down my priority In life I only do shifts that fit round my family
roffShroff

Post by roffShroff »

Speak to them
If you haven't signed anything to say you'll pay the fees then don't
If they start dictating that you'll work the hours they've set or you must pay us back
Wait to you get paid and don't return, get yourself another job
anthXyston

Post by anthXyston »

roffShroff wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:19 pm Speak to them
If you haven't signed anything to say you'll pay the fees then don't
If they start dictating that you'll work the hours they've set or you must pay us back
Wait to you get paid and don't return, get yourself another job
if the try and use the training agreement to dictate your work patten and use it as a weapon then the traning agreements would become null and void as they this would be classed as modern day slavery
RupRune

Post by RupRune »

Did you make your home commitments clear at the interview, before you signed a contract? Did you understand the contract before you signed it?
LeiEssence

Post by LeiEssence »

RupRune wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:22 pm Did you make your home commitments clear at the interview, before you signed a contract? Did you understand the contract before you signed it?
as stated, made them more than aware, not signed any contract yet
RupRune

Post by RupRune »

LeiEssence wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:22 pm
RupRune wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:22 pm Did you make your home commitments clear at the interview, before you signed a contract? Did you understand the contract before you signed it?
so they funded your training with out you signing a contact?
LeiEssence

Post by LeiEssence »

RupRune wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:23 pm
as ridiculous as it sounds, they did.. told me they would get me a contract to sign for when I've passed, which I have now, but not signed it, as its stating my 3pm starts times. And that was not what was agreed
RupRune

Post by RupRune »

LeiEssence wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:23 pm

as ridiculous as it sounds, they did.. told me they would get me a contract to sign for when I've passed, which I have now, but not signed it, as its stating my 3pm starts times. And that was not what was agreed
the ball is in your court, if they have nothing in writing
gorntuser40

Post by gorntuser40 »

3pm is a back shift not days
beganBan

Post by beganBan »

Funded by the skills boot camp funding from govt.
MicJiggy

Post by MicJiggy »

beganBan wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:25 pm

if it’s funded by the government, the company legally can’t claim anything from OP, they aren’t out of pocket
beganBan

Post by beganBan »

MicJiggy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:25 pm
beganBan wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:25 pm

if it’s funded by the government, the company legally can’t claim anything from OP, they aren’t out of pocket
Exactly my point.
IanWayment

Post by IanWayment »

Why bother being a truck driver when you have commitments ? It’s the only job in the world where you can’t have life of normal folk
andLazar11

Post by andLazar11 »

IanWayment wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:32 pm Why bother being a truck driver when you have commitments ? It’s the only job in the world where you can’t have life of normal folk
buy you can.. I do ten hour shifts starting at 5 am and will never touch a weekend
bruGrabs

Post by bruGrabs »

Get used to it, if the planers lips are moving its normaly complet rubbish, can you just nip here, you'll only be a little bit later than your origonal finish. Get there & load not even ready to pick up like they said.
Don't do general any more gone well away from all of that, still a hgv driver, but now it's very rare I get anywhere my hours.
CharRiqq

Post by CharRiqq »

Welcome to the world of trucking
SimPride

Post by SimPride »

I would talk directly to the citizens advice bureau to get some professional advice.
andLazar11

Post by andLazar11 »

Family comes first.. you can be a lorry driver and still be home every night
macPharos

Post by macPharos »

It’s worth bearing in mind that most of the companies offering training ( but not all )use government funded schemes intended to benefit you and increase you’re employability, as well as benefit the company (they get paid).
They cannot tie you down to a job with them in those circumstances.
Where I am used a government backed scheme through the RHA and at least 50% walk away after passing or within a few months.
They have no claim against those that have taken their new found skills (licence) elsewhere in relation to training costs.
chuMurphy

Post by chuMurphy »

macPharos wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:42 pm It’s worth bearing in mind that most of the companies offering training ( but not all )use government funded schemes intended to benefit you and increase you’re employability, as well as benefit the company (they get paid).
Where I am used a government backed scheme through the RHA and at least 50% walk away after passing or within a few months.
They have no claim against those that have taken their new found skills (licence) elsewhere in relation to training costs.
just done mine like this and it’s 30% payback if I leave within a year which works out to around £300 ish
macPharos

Post by macPharos »

chuMurphy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:42 pm
macPharos wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:42 pm It’s worth bearing in mind that most of the companies offering training ( but not all )use government funded schemes intended to benefit you and increase you’re employability, as well as benefit the company (they get paid).
just done mine like this and it’s 30% payback if I leave within a year which works out to around £300 ish
the company can’t charge you payback if they didn’t pay for it 🤷‍♂️
They’re trying it on
chuMurphy

Post by chuMurphy »

macPharos wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:43 pm
chuMurphy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:42 pm
the company can’t charge you payback if they didn’t pay for it 🤷‍♂️
They’re trying it on
no they pay 30% and the rest comes from government I think it’s the 30% I have to pay back
denellu66

Post by denellu66 »

Well if they said day shift it should be dayshift that’s more like a kinda back shift nigh shift thing 🤔
NiRee189

Post by NiRee189 »

denellu66 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:44 pm Well if they said day shift it should be dayshift that’s more like a kinda back shift nigh shift thing 🤔
my place's back shift is starting between 10-18... latest start is 19:00... by the time he comes back is about 3am... for me it is a night shift
glyMamzer

Post by glyMamzer »

🎣 companies don't seem to understand that it's a skilled profession, they keep throwing people through training, treating them like shit and expecting them just to stick at it. Next few years there's going to be an overpopulation of drivers with no jobs, just like they wanted, cheap labour. These people will find better pay elsewhere and bam! they'll be begging drivers to come back to the sector and have to pay more than they wanted because nobody wants to do the job because they were treated like sh*t.
Iaxylem52

Post by Iaxylem52 »

Welcome to the world of professional drivers
WalRaven

Post by WalRaven »

You don’t have to pay any money back at all. So don’t worry about that talk to them explain your case you might have to get another job that might not be exactly what you want. I don’t think that being a class one driver is a good job for someone with kids because you will be expected to work long hours at unsociable times remember truck’s don’t make money parked up. I really hope you get it sorted it’s difficult to know what’s the best thing to do but your kids are only young once. I missed out on a lot of things with my kids due to work I would do things different if I had my time over again. Good luck mate
daMajere

Post by daMajere »

Tell your boss he's an absolute wanker.. Sacked for gross misconduct.. problem solved!
yvoMarrano

Post by yvoMarrano »

Not good shifts. But on the positive side. You can do the school run in the morning and in the holidays see them for some of the day instead of not at all. Is the pay and holidays worth it?
SimPride

Post by SimPride »

Lorry drivers have crap hours whether you do days, nights or tramping and would not recommend if you have a young family end off.
WigKazoo

Post by WigKazoo »

That's transport for yer you very rarely get exactly what you want i would say you are extremely fortunate to have your course paid for you and walked straight into a job, I think you should give yer head a wobble and think how lucky you are.
GarElement

Post by GarElement »

Should have asked them conditions before signing up. I dunno what it is with your firm but a lot of companies require you to work for them for 2 years before leaving. If you leave before a year they'll make you pay 50% of the costs. Know what you're getting into. Never sign on the dotted line either.
memoirMar

Post by memoirMar »

Did they use Government bootcamp funding for your licence? If so you shouldn't owe them anything. If the company paid for it themselves they should have agreed a contract in advance for you to work for them for a certain period of time.
chuMurphy

Post by chuMurphy »

memoirMar wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:59 pm Did they use Government bootcamp funding for your licence? If so you shouldn't owe them anything. If the company paid for it themselves they should have agreed a contract in advance for you to work for them for a certain period of time.
you pay a % back within a year about 30
memoirMar

Post by memoirMar »

chuMurphy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:00 pm
memoirMar wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:59 pm Did they use Government bootcamp funding for your licence? If so you shouldn't owe them anything. If the company paid for it themselves they should have agreed a contract in advance for you to work for them for a certain period of time.
so they may try to claim money back if you leave before the year is up.
chuMurphy

Post by chuMurphy »

memoirMar wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:00 pm
yes the longer you stay in that year the less you pay but I intend to get my experience there and see what happens
memoirMar

Post by memoirMar »

chuMurphy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:01 pm

yes the longer you stay in that year the less you pay but I intend to get my experience there and see what happens
I would give it 3-6 months and see how you cope with the shifts, it will get you some experience and allow you to move jobs easier if you choose.
chuMurphy

Post by chuMurphy »

memoirMar wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:01 pm
chuMurphy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:01 pm

I would give it 3-6 months and see how you cope with the shifts, it will get you some experience and allow you to move jobs easier if you choose.
The job is good so no reason to leave really and enjoy doing nights
UltimaUlf

Post by UltimaUlf »

It happens at places I know all of a sudden cant finish late on Friday need to pick kids up at 2pm can't do this cant do that can't do weekends you needed to look at truck driving criteria before now as it's a ball ache not the Monday to Friday 8hr £50000 bollocks that got half these people into taking a test you need to come with the attitude its 13 to15hr shifts and a night out and then your day can only get better

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”