Hi all. Hope you can help. I have a job interview and driving assessment on Monday. My concern is my current company

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
ThoDraven

Hi all. Hope you can help. I have a job interview and driving assessment on Monday. My concern is my current company

Post by ThoDraven »

Hi all. Hope you can help. I have a job interview and driving assessment on Monday. My concern is my current company download our Tacho at the end of each shift and I don't want them to know that I had an assessment with another company. I know there is no way around this but if I don't get the job and my current company says something about me driving another vehicle I assume there is nothing wrong with me doing a driving assessment with a different company.
Thanks in advance for your help.
jonarach08

Re: Hi all. Hope you can help. I have a job interview and driving assessment on Monday. My concern is my current company

Post by jonarach08 »

They probably don't check it anyway unless an infringement pops up and if you're leaving let them worry about it 🤣
GaviClear

Re: Hi all. Hope you can help. I have a job interview and driving assessment on Monday. My concern is my current company

Post by GaviClear »

Gotta man up and talk to your employer..might be hard but it may lead to better things and if the value you they might even barter..let positive lol..or they sack you right there lol
stuFluent

Post by stuFluent »

GaviClear wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:27 am Gotta man up and talk to your employer..might be hard but it may lead to better things and if the value you they might even barter..let positive lol..or they sack you right there lol
companies don't value their staff anymore unfortunately
PauTagz

Post by PauTagz »

stuFluent wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:29 am
GaviClear wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:27 am Gotta man up and talk to your employer..might be hard but it may lead to better things and if the value you they might even barter..let positive lol..or they sack you right there lol
companies don't value their staff anymore unfortunately
took the words right out of my mouth mate!!!
radethook

Post by radethook »

What do you mean by barter?
MatDouble

Post by MatDouble »

Wouldn’t worry about it blag it
SteMediaa

Post by SteMediaa »

Nothing wrong with it at all. It's your digi card, not theirs. Just keep an eye on your hours in case of infringement
LeeDiddy

Post by LeeDiddy »

Tell them it was an HGV driving experience that you won in a truth telling contest.
benMoff5

Post by benMoff5 »

LeeDiddy wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:37 am Tell them it was an HGV driving experience that you won in a truth telling contest.
this is the correct answer
thollerer41

Post by thollerer41 »

benMoff5 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:38 am
LeeDiddy wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:37 am Tell them it was an HGV driving experience that you won in a truth telling contest.
they will be able to see the reg when they download it so no point lying. All it takes is a quick google and they’ll be able to see who owns it.
benMoff5

Post by benMoff5 »

thollerer41 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:40 am
they will be able to see the reg when they download it so no point lying. All it takes is a quick google and they’ll be able to see who owns it.
Fun. At. Parties.
thollerer41

Post by thollerer41 »

benMoff5 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:40 am

Fun. At. Parties.
very much fun especially after a few beers. I’m only saying what happens when the card is downloaded. I’ve seen it happen.
benMoff5

Post by benMoff5 »

thollerer41 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:41 am
benMoff5 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:40 am

Fun. At. Parties.
very much fun especially after a few beers. I’m only saying what happens when the card is downloaded. I’ve seen it happen.
yes. We all know that's what happens. We literally all know.
SpraVash

Post by SpraVash »

They don’t own you !!!
Longs it doesn’t impinge on your work for them, stuff em
davihnin36

Post by davihnin36 »

Tell them nothing to do with them what you do with your card
HarrGroup

Post by HarrGroup »

GuzGumbo wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:51 am You only got one card? 😉😉😉😉
Mr HarrGroup sir, what are the implications?
GuzGumbo

Post by GuzGumbo »

HarrGroup wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:52 am
Mr HarrGroup sir, what are the implications?
check the emojis.
cumyton22

Post by cumyton22 »

just say your booking that day off as your mate is buying A truck and he wants you to drive it back as your mate will be taking you to get it in his truck so he asked me to see what i think of it DRIVE WISE, like ITS A SHED OR THATS A GOOD TRUCK YOU BOUGHT.!!!!!no what I mean kidda,,Either that or tell him the truth ,,,,,if your any good,,he will shit himself and give you a rise to £5.75 LOL...HA HA,JOKING APART DRIVE,,
YOUR CALL MATE, F**K EM,oh and GOOD LUCK FOR THE NEW JOB,
ThoDraven

Post by ThoDraven »

Thank you all for your advice. Much appreciated
ricmido60

Post by ricmido60 »

As long as you stay legal
All good and might make them think
DaniMonn

Post by DaniMonn »

Just say you lent it to a mate,
kunGuru

Post by kunGuru »

Just tell the truth they s**k an your looking for summit better 🤷
KeSheerr

Post by KeSheerr »

Say nothing till they ask, bet they don’t even look endless it flags up with infringements
GatoExec

Post by GatoExec »

I did it one month ago and the result was that the conditions improved my current job
kienetaff60

Post by kienetaff60 »

It's your card and your business so long as your legal it's not really got owt to do with them
owetypiro

Post by owetypiro »

Your card as long as it is not paid work they cannot hold it against you all you have to say is not profit related driving 💪
pauPallet

Post by pauPallet »

Should have applied for another card a week ago, just tell them that you lost your card. Always handy to have a 2nd card just in case a bit of cash in hand of work comes in. Plus you can rent it out for a few Bob each day 😉😉 we'll that's what a mate of my uncles sisters son told me
FosChalice

Post by FosChalice »

pauPallet wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:06 am Should have applied for another card a week ago, just tell them that you lost your card. Always handy to have a 2nd card just in case a bit of cash in hand of work comes in. Plus you can rent it out for a few Bob each day 😉😉 we'll that's what a mate of my uncles sisters son told me
🔔 April 1st 😆
Petkersco

Post by Petkersco »

I know what your worried about.
I’d specify driving assessment only if successful at interview stage and only do the assessment if you are definitely happy with the job.
ThoDraven

Post by ThoDraven »

Petkersco wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:08 am I know what your worried about.
I’d specify driving assessment only if successful at interview stage and only do the assessment if you are definitely happy with the job.
They said they want to do the driving assessment before the interview
Petkersco

Post by Petkersco »

ThoDraven wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:08 am
Petkersco wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:08 am I know what your worried about.
They said they want to do the driving assessment before the interview
personally I don’t like that.
They may tell you things have changed at interview stage such as shift patterns on offer and you might decide to say you don’t want it.
But as long as your not breaking any laws with driving time and wtd your current employer can’t say anything.
Good luck.
neeAkron

Post by neeAkron »

Normally it would be interview first then assessment would be wary 🤨
ByaClaw

Post by ByaClaw »

They don't own you or your card.
HartBurnt

Post by HartBurnt »

Tell em it was a hire 7.5 tonner and you were moving house with your mate or something. You don't strictly need to use your tacho in a private house move but 'wanted to stay legal with your hours'
Or tell them the truth, that you want to leave and you never know, they might try to keep you.
geonewc99

Post by geonewc99 »

HartBurnt wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:12 am Tell em it was a hire 7.5 tonner and you were moving house with your mate or something. You don't strictly need to use your tacho in a private house move but 'wanted to stay legal with your hours'
Or tell them the truth, that you want to leave and you never know, they might try to keep you.
the reg number shows on a download. Easy to check
HartBurnt

Post by HartBurnt »

geonewc99 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:12 am
HartBurnt wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:12 am Tell em it was a hire 7.5 tonner and you were moving house with your mate or something. You don't strictly need to use your tacho in a private house move but 'wanted to stay legal with your hours'
it doesn't really matter they aren't going to look into it that much, they'll see that its one unknown truck, ask him and leave it at that, and even so, he wants to leave anyway.
geonewc99

Post by geonewc99 »

HartBurnt wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:13 am
geonewc99 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:12 am
it doesn't really matter they aren't going to look into it that much, they'll see that its one unknown truck, ask him and leave it at that, and even so, he wants to leave anyway.
I agree. But if it’s seen on the software which it will be cos it sticks out like a sore thumb, the employer probably will question it regarding other work and driving. Most contracts have a disclosure where you must advise your employer about any other work.
Being honest is best policy. Nothing wrong with looking for another job.
iannter400

Post by iannter400 »

Tell em you did a favour for a m8.
TaySach

Post by TaySach »

It’s your card to do what you want with, try and get the other firm to do the assessment out of scope if possible..
DaWhamos

Post by DaWhamos »

TaySach wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:22 am It’s your card to do what you want with, try and get the other firm to do the assessment out of scope if possible..
But a driving assessment isn't an out of scope activity.
TaySach

Post by TaySach »

DaWhamos wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:22 am
TaySach wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:22 am It’s your card to do what you want with, try and get the other firm to do the assessment out of scope if possible..
But a driving assessment isn't an out of scope activity.
I know that, but a way round his company not finding out.. sorry just a thought
skiffin02

Post by skiffin02 »

Tell to them you hired a vehicle for private use
franMind

Post by franMind »

Just be upfront about it, honesty is the best policy!
EriBubble

Post by EriBubble »

Just say you hired a truck for moving friends house.
TayAnguris

Post by TayAnguris »

If you do a print out and tell them you had a driving assessment, maybe they will find out why you want to leave and change that for better so you don't have to, companies don't know what they are doing wrong until they are told,
HarrGroup

Post by HarrGroup »

Go for it, let it be on the card. If they want you they will ask, if not f**k em.
jonSporty

Post by jonSporty »

It probably says in your contract that you can not "work" for another company, so unless you were paid for the driving assessment, you have not been working.
matFerdy

Post by matFerdy »

Tell them you been on a test to make you a better driver for them
jamiKenji

Post by jamiKenji »

Didn’t you get a bit of agency work that day?
ehEssence

Post by ehEssence »

It’s none of their business but if they do ask just be honest
ehEssence

Post by ehEssence »

I didn’t think you’d put your card in for an assessment though?
ThoDraven

Post by ThoDraven »

ehEssence wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:32 am I didn’t think you’d put your card in for an assessment though?
they asked me to bring my card in and as the driving assessment would be on the road, I would need to put my card in
stoMedium

Post by stoMedium »

ehEssence wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:32 am I didn’t think you’d put your card in for an assessment though?
you do at our place when on an assessment. And then download your card at end of assessment
LewQuayle

Post by LewQuayle »

hmmm? So how does the company doing the assessment account for vehicle usage and missing mileage? Any reputable company would ask you to bring all your cards.....
stuerplym8

Post by stuerplym8 »

LewQuayle wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:34 am
hmmm? So how does the company doing the assessment account for vehicle usage and missing mileage? Any reputable company would ask you to bring all your cards.....
would "out of sccope" be applicable?
Not used for hire or reward & the guy is not being paid for doing the assessment 🤔
LewQuayle

Post by LewQuayle »

stuerplym8 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:35 am
LewQuayle wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:34 am
would "out of sccope" be applicable?
Not used for hire or reward & the guy is not being paid for doing the assessment 🤔
nope
AllTruck

Post by AllTruck »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
DaWhamos

Post by DaWhamos »

a driving assessment is an in-scope activity. Digi card definitely required.
The only scenario I could see where it wouldn't be would be driving a shunt vehicle around the yard.
markwinn73

Post by markwinn73 »

Yes you do. Even my induction was classed as 8hrs Other work. Didn't drive at all.
AndRotund

Post by AndRotund »

are you for real? 😂
JaDoodle

Post by JaDoodle »

Use second card. I always do tha 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️😄
kalFlashy

Post by kalFlashy »

Tell them nothing none of there business.
powencynt57

Post by powencynt57 »

You were helping me move house in an rented class 2 😉
ashFortune

Post by ashFortune »

You posted it on here they probably know now 😂 on a serious note your only trying to better yourself if your not happy find it else where
HaySunny

Post by HaySunny »

Put tacho out of scope as your not getting paid for it or actually working, then do a printout to keep with you just in case and write on it assessment drive.
DaWhamos

Post by DaWhamos »

HaySunny wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:53 am Put tacho out of scope as your not getting paid for it or actually working, then do a printout to keep with you just in case and write on it assessment drive.
a driving assessment is not an out of scope activity. Payment (or lack of) is not a factor.
dawGrackle

Post by dawGrackle »

You can legally require a day off for your interview.
DaWhamos

Post by DaWhamos »

dawGrackle wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:54 am You can legally require a day off for your interview.
only if being made redundant.
KniCasual

Post by KniCasual »

DaWhamos wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:54 am
dawGrackle wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:54 am You can legally require a day off for your interview.
yes you can, if you request a day off for an interview they cannot refuse you! This i know as my wife has worked in employment law! Just download your card before the interview at your normal place of work and when you have completed your assessment download your card again! There is nothing they can do about it providing you do not exceed any driving/working time directives
DaWhamos

Post by DaWhamos »

KniCasual wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:55 am
DaWhamos wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:54 am
yes you can, if you request a day off for an interview they cannot refuse you! This i know as my wife has worked in employment law! Just download your card before the interview at your normal place of work and when you have completed your assessment download your card again! There is nothing they can do about it providing you do not exceed any driving/working time directives
apologies.
I mistakenly read Andrei's comment as a paid day off.
Interestingly; what would be the position if the day off the driver requested affected the operations of his current employer?
Could they refuse to grant it?
JasOnline

Post by JasOnline »

or within the same company
aladorm39

Post by aladorm39 »

Keep it quiet don't go on Facebook with name of your employer in your profile for starters

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”