Good morning everyone! My planer today forced me to drive a unit that had door lock issues More precisely I couldn't

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
lntecher41

Re: Good morning everyone! My planer today forced me to drive a unit that had door lock issues More precisely I couldn't

Post by lntecher41 »

AntDaily wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:30 am
lntecher41 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:30 am
AntDaily wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:29 am

I didn't receive any official email or a letter. My manager asked me what was happened and he said "maybe you have to come for an investigation because I refused to do my job... I said to him I just reported a defect and I didn't refused anything
that sounds like they plan to treat the matter as insubordination, usually considered gross misconduct by most employers.
You should however be formally invited to a investigation meeting with a clear explanation of the allegation against you and a copy of the company's investigation and disciplinary procedures.
It could however be a empty threat in the hope that you would take the lorry out after you have raised what you to believe to be reasonable concerns with the vehicles safety.
That of course would be bullying in the work place and a suitable reason for raising a grievance.
thank you! You seem to have a lot of experience in this field and know what you are talking about. I usually just defend, never attack. I will wait to see what they want from me. Thank you again
you are welcome.
I wouldn't go loosing sleep over it tonight, see what tomorrow brings.
Naturally I can only advise based on taking what you say at face value but I can't see how anyone should go from reporting a issue with a lorry and refusing to drive it to a investigation with a disciplinary outcome, particularly if they were have a good track record of performance.
Make sure however you are prepared just in case you are invited to a investigatory meeting.
Various safety reasons for not taking the lorry out have been offered. I would consider strong arguments to be:
A risk to your own safety by not being able to lock yourself in the lorry.
A risk to public safety should someone enter the vehicle in your absence and either successfully steal it or as someone else suggested allow it to roll away.
Someone also pointed out that the police/ traffic commissioner say a lorry should be left secure, depending on how recently you passed you may remember this is part of the theory test.
The safety of your own personal processions is
also a valid reason. I suspect too that there is a company policy saying that the lorry must always be locked when you leave it.
If you do want any further advice then I am more then happy to help.
While I am not a professional in the field this is a area of interest to me and I have previously carried out investigations and disciplinaries in a previous job with a great deal of success.
My husband also works in HR so I can always tap into his knowledge x
AntDaily

Re: Good morning everyone! My planer today forced me to drive a unit that had door lock issues More precisely I couldn't

Post by AntDaily »

lntecher41 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:31 am
AntDaily wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:30 am
lntecher41 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:30 am

that sounds like they plan to treat the matter as insubordination, usually considered gross misconduct by most employers.
You should however be formally invited to a investigation meeting with a clear explanation of the allegation against you and a copy of the company's investigation and disciplinary procedures.
It could however be a empty threat in the hope that you would take the lorry out after you have raised what you to believe to be reasonable concerns with the vehicles safety.
That of course would be bullying in the work place and a suitable reason for raising a grievance.
thank you! You seem to have a lot of experience in this field and know what you are talking about. I usually just defend, never attack. I will wait to see what they want from me. Thank you again
you are welcome.
I wouldn't go loosing sleep over it tonight, see what tomorrow brings.
Naturally I can only advise based on taking what you say at face value but I can't see how anyone should go from reporting a issue with a lorry and refusing to drive it to a investigation with a disciplinary outcome, particularly if they were have a good track record of performance.
Make sure however you are prepared just in case you are invited to a investigatory meeting.
Various safety reasons for not taking the lorry out have been offered. I would consider strong arguments to be:
A risk to your own safety by not being able to lock yourself in the lorry.
A risk to public safety should someone enter the vehicle in your absence and either successfully steal it or as someone else suggested allow it to roll away.
Someone also pointed out that the police/ traffic commissioner say a lorry should be left secure, depending on how recently you passed you may remember this is part of the theory test.
The safety of your own personal processions is
also a valid reason. I suspect too that there is a company policy saying that the lorry must always be locked when you leave it.
If you do want any further advice then I am more then happy to help.
While I am not a professional in the field this is a area of interest to me and I have previously carried out investigations and disciplinaries in a previous job with a great deal of success.
My husband also works in HR so I can always tap into his knowledge x
thank you! This is very helpful. Have a nice evening!
AmbBrood

Post by AmbBrood »

I don’t think it’s an MOT failure is it????
lntecher41

Post by lntecher41 »

AmbBrood wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:32 am I don’t think it’s an MOT failure is it????
it's not but that doesn't mean circumstances can't make it unsafe.
AmbBrood

Post by AmbBrood »

lntecher41 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:33 am
AmbBrood wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:32 am I don’t think it’s an MOT failure is it????
Even with out a door doesn’t make it unsafe
LiamGot

Post by LiamGot »

AmbBrood wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:33 am
lntecher41 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:33 am
Even with out a door doesn’t make it unsafe
what a stupid comment
tarColumn

Post by tarColumn »

So drive it with doors unlocked, take your stuff with you if your that concerned about stuff getting nicked, park in yard job done
WadeTools

Post by WadeTools »

Quite clearly, only a few decent people on here who give sound advice.
quaff230

Post by quaff230 »

I delivered to Wandsworth prison in London, and the doors never locked. The prison officer had to stay by the cab and the prisoners helped me unload the goods. He was not too fussed, but the cab should lock, for your personal safety, personal items and the goods. Sure the insurance wouldn’t pay out if truck was stolen.
FerrRee

Post by FerrRee »

Personally as others have said, I would have filled in a defect and if they insisted on me using it would have asked for that in writing stating that I would not be held responsible for any loses. Having said that if they are looking to discipline you, if your in the union speak to them but either way wait until the meeting and have a witness there and then tell them you were following the guidance issued by the Traffic Commissioners Office as well as Central Government relating to vehicle security and the prevention of someone being able to use a large goods vehicle as a weapon in a terrorist attack, similar to what happened in Europe. The guidance from
https://www.gov.uk/
is shown below, I hope it helps you make your employer rethink what they are trying to do.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... nd-drivers
miescomp97

Post by miescomp97 »

FerrRee wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:51 am Personally as others have said, I would have filled in a defect and if they insisted on me using it would have asked for that in writing stating that I would not be held responsible for any loses. Having said that if they are looking to discipline you, if your in the union speak to them but either way wait until the meeting and have a witness there and then tell them you were following the guidance issued by the Traffic Commissioners Office as well as Central Government relating to vehicle security and the prevention of someone being able to use a large goods vehicle as a weapon in a terrorist attack, similar to what happened in Europe. The guidance from
is shown below, I hope it helps you make your employer rethink what they are trying to do.
the fact that the government have had to create this document makes me question what the fudging heck I'm doing still doing in this job. The world has gone completely lost the plot from all angles! I don't know what's worse; the fact that we live in a society where people could potentially hijack a lorry for terrorism, an industry with drivers, planners and management that seem incapable of applying any rationale of common sense to any situation and instead rely on what "someone else with authority said to do" or a government that feel the need to create a whole document on "prevention" just so the blame can be passed from pillar to post (inevitably ending up on the driver like it always does). God help the future generations!
FerrRee

Post by FerrRee »

miescomp97 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:53 am
FerrRee wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:51 am Personally as others have said, I would have filled in a defect and if they insisted on me using it would have asked for that in writing stating that I would not be held responsible for any loses. Having said that if they are looking to discipline you, if your in the union speak to them but either way wait until the meeting and have a witness there and then tell them you were following the guidance issued by the Traffic Commissioners Office as well as Central Government relating to vehicle security and the prevention of someone being able to use a large goods vehicle as a weapon in a terrorist attack, similar to what happened in Europe. The guidance from
the fact that the government have had to create this document makes me question what the fudging heck I'm doing still doing in this job. The world has gone completely lost the plot from all angles! I don't know what's worse; the fact that we live in a society where people could potentially hijack a lorry for terrorism, an industry with drivers, planners and management that seem incapable of applying any rationale of common sense to any situation and instead rely on what "someone else with authority said to do" or a government that feel the need to create a whole document on "prevention" just so the blame can be passed from pillar to post (inevitably ending up on the driver like it always does). God help the future generations!
I don’t think it has anything to do with the job we do, it is just life these days. Unfortunately there’s been an erosion of society and common sense over recent years, mainly caused by too many people in authority being frightened of upsetting anyone that it’s all about covering their ar5es these days. As I stated, I personally would’ve used it but asked for something in writing to cover myself in case of lose and the insurance company refusing to pay out; and my attaching the document wasn’t me agreeing with government guidance, it was offering something the OP may be able to present to his employers as justification for the decision he made. These days we live in a society where blame will always be directed towards those down the chain of command.
ton2cool

Post by ton2cool »

FerrRee wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:54 am
I don’t think it has anything to do with the job we do, it is just life these days. Unfortunately there’s been an erosion of society and common sense over recent years, mainly caused by too many people in authority being frightened of upsetting anyone that it’s all about covering their ar5es these days. As I stated, I personally would’ve used it but asked for something in writing to cover myself in case of lose and the insurance company refusing to pay out; and my attaching the document wasn’t me agreeing with government guidance, it was offering something the OP may be able to present to his employers as justification for the decision he made. These days we live in a society where blame will always be directed towards those down the chain of command.
Nice one, your suggestions would be very useful as part of this drivers justification for his actions.
AntDaily

Post by AntDaily »

thank you!
CaldDoom

Post by CaldDoom »

What is happening in the world 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
riffraffBe

Post by riffraffBe »

CaldDoom wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:57 am What is happening in the world 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
must've been feert 🤣
MeecHyper

Post by MeecHyper »

Jezus Christ man up you tosser god help the haulage industry if this gobshite works for you ffs 😡
fowForce

Post by fowForce »

Tell them to f**k off he probably only has a push bike license
ThomRed

Post by ThomRed »

Leave it open, some drafty gets in and accidentally or not lets the handbrake off and we have another Glasgow bin lorry/HGV runaway....you do the maths!
wiChapter44

Post by wiChapter44 »

Not Mot failure as far as I'm aware. Now dodgy door catch a different matter.
VargRaw

Post by VargRaw »

Vehicle is still safe to drive. Just take your valuables with you if you stop somewhere.
miescomp97

Post by miescomp97 »

You as the driver ultimately have the final say whether you're happy to take a vehicle out or not. If you aren't happy with something on the vehicle, refuse it by all means but make sure you can justify your decision/ reasons for refusing if questioned about it. Only you will know whether a door not locking is enough reason for you. Me personally, I do night trunks now, don't stay out, don't have anything in the cab with me that's of any value to be nicked (phone, wallet keys etc are always on me in my pockets) and we go Depot to depot so chance of lorry being nicked or someone going in and taking something without being caught and recognized in CCTV is slim to nill. In this case I'd just report it but still take it out. However when I used to tramp all over the country, parking in services, truck stops and had all my kit in the wagon to live in it for the week (laptop, chargers cooking appliances etc.) I'd want a vehicle that locked or it wouldn't be leaving the yard end of!
gaviHood

Post by gaviHood »

Jesus christ on a bike, and this is today's caliber of drivers. Still attached to their mums apron strings 🤦
MatKeepup

Post by MatKeepup »

gaviHood wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:12 am Jesus christ on a bike, and this is today's caliber of drivers. Still attached to their mums apron strings 🤦
this is the world we live now mate, it's a door lock that can be fixed later in the day.
cartDark02

Post by cartDark02 »

If your drop is somewhere like Tesco tell them you can’t lock the cab when they want it locked and you to sit in the waiting room and they will just refuse to unload it on H&S grounds. I think it’s a bit ridiculous but this is how petty the companies have got so drivers have every right to be the same
grimVenue

Post by grimVenue »

not really a surprise they testing self driving trucks with the amount of utter wan***s on here 🥳🥳🥳
RyaMuch

Post by RyaMuch »

grimVenue wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:17 am not really a surprise they testing self driving trucks with the amount of utter wan***s on here 🥳🥳🥳
Agree mate 😂😂😂
chandeeni8

Post by chandeeni8 »

Safety and security of driver, vehicle and its contents.
KaneGive

Post by KaneGive »

Could argue its a terrorist threat.. pretty sure there's a CPC/FORS course around the subject and making sure you're vehicle is secure when unattended.. really depends what your job is. Also wouldn't want to be risking my valuables because a company operates defective vehicles
glynnecadd

Post by glynnecadd »

Why are you being investigated........
NeNothing

Post by NeNothing »

jeez.. al wanting £1000/day wages and refusing to not drive one over a door lock! 🤣🤣 write it on the defect sheet, email or whatever the gaffer and make sure he's aware BEFORE you leave the yard (so you're covered if it gets nicked) and then crack on.. just don't leave your gear in it! take it out if you stop for brew ETC ETC....
AntDaily

Post by AntDaily »

I have read all the comments and I want to thank you all. The problem is much more serious from my point of view. On Tuesday, another driver refused this unit and they asked me to do them a favor and drive it that day, promising me that at the end of the shift they would fix it. This unit has been reported by me 2 times before and 2 weeks ago and no one has taken any action. I'm not quite as soft as others have said, but when my English colleague refused, no one commented (I was next to him). I helped them about 3 times with this unit but they did nothing. When I told them that I no longer want to run that unit either, they started with threats. STOP DISCRIMINATION. Let's be kind with each other! I wish you easy journey and get back to home safe!
lntecher41

Post by lntecher41 »

AntDaily wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:28 am I have read all the comments and I want to thank you all. The problem is much more serious from my point of view. On Tuesday, another driver refused this unit and they asked me to do them a favor and drive it that day, promising me that at the end of the shift they would fix it. This unit has been reported by me 2 times before and 2 weeks ago and no one has taken any action. I'm not quite as soft as others have said, but when my English colleague refused, no one commented (I was next to him). I helped them about 3 times with this unit but they did nothing. When I told them that I no longer want to run that unit either, they started with threats. STOP DISCRIMINATION. Let's be kind with each other! I wish you easy journey and get back to home safe!
has anything come of the matter today or is it business as usual?
From what you say it is starting to sound like you work for a problematic employer.
If you believe you are being bullied or discriminated against then you should raise a formal grievance.
This in itself however can cause issues when dealing with a bad employer, particularly if its a small company.
Over all I would suggest looking for a new place of work if you feel they are not taking the safety of their vehicles seriously and/or are treating you badly.
irekyra003

Post by irekyra003 »

If you are having problems with your employer and they are singling you out then please contact ACAS for help and advice
PatNaybor

Post by PatNaybor »

If it's on your walkaround check list then it's got to work.
If it doesn't work then it's a defect.
It's on the paperwork for a reason.
kallAdvice

Post by kallAdvice »

In what way do they want to investigate you
AntDaily

Post by AntDaily »

MMichheel wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:32 amSnowflake
DH

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”