Good morning everyone! My planer today forced me to drive a unit that had door lock issues More precisely I couldn't

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
AntDaily

Good morning everyone! My planer today forced me to drive a unit that had door lock issues More precisely I couldn't

Post by AntDaily »

Good morning everyone!
My planer today forced me to drive a unit that had door lock issues. More precisely, I couldn't look it. I refused, but they want to investigate me now. Was I right to refuse to take that unit out? Thank you for any advice
EmbEmery

Re: Good morning everyone! My planer today forced me to drive a unit that had door lock issues More precisely I couldn't

Post by EmbEmery »

If your tramping quite right, wouldn’t want to sleep out in a lorry with the doors unlocked
PinAbove

Re: Good morning everyone! My planer today forced me to drive a unit that had door lock issues More precisely I couldn't

Post by PinAbove »

Your the driver, if the vehicle is unfit for purpose then don’t take it out. I don’t know about you but I always take photo and video evidence of any defects I find so then IF the gods above want to challenge it with me then I have any proof. ALSO IF I find a defect BUT I deem the vehicle still fit for purpose I will always get someone official in transport to sign to say they want me to still drive the vehicle in that condition. That way I look at it as if I’ve not ignored it and I’ve reported it to a senior and they have ordered me to continue about my day.
jameWame

Post by jameWame »

I doubt that's even a defect think I'd have gone with it if it's just a day run not like it had a wheel missing
richTime

Post by richTime »

jameWame wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:21 am I doubt that's even a defect think I'd have gone with it if it's just a day run not like it had a wheel missing
can you fit all your personal belonging into your pocket 🙄🤦
jameWame

Post by jameWame »

richTime wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:21 am
jameWame wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:21 am I doubt that's even a defect think I'd have gone with it if it's just a day run not like it had a wheel missing
can you fit all your personal belonging into your pocket 🙄🤦
lucky for me I have little tiny belongings and massive pockets so yes 😎
macPharos

Post by macPharos »

or be 100% certain some clown won’t pull the handbrake? You’re responsible after all.
jameWame

Post by jameWame »

macPharos wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:22 am
or be 100% certain some clown won’t pull the handbrake? You’re responsible after all.
I get that but it depends on what you are going out to do if it's multi dropping in a city it's not the best but if it's a site or RDC would probably be fine
RoyMon

Post by RoyMon »

Ask them what there insurance would say if you left it unlocked and someone nicked it
JanVander

Post by JanVander »

How the kin hell can a planner force a driver to do anything? The driver has the keys 🗝️
stentheid52

Post by stentheid52 »

JanVander wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:26 am How the kin hell can a planner force a driver to do anything? The driver has the keys 🗝️
key doesn't work in the lock though...
nicBizarre

Post by nicBizarre »

What happens when you go to the toilet or pay for fuel etc.. and you come back and either all your stuff is gone out the cab, or the truck is gone all together?
AntDaily

Post by AntDaily »

nicBizarre wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:28 am What happens when you go to the toilet or pay for fuel etc.. and you come back and either all your stuff is gone out the cab, or the truck is gone all together?
this is what I was told them
painfort44

Post by painfort44 »

AntDaily wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:29 am
nicBizarre wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:28 am What happens when you go to the toilet or pay for fuel etc.. and you come back and either all your stuff is gone out the cab, or the truck is gone all together?
you should've just driven it, then when you got back to the yard, tell them you went to the loo and someone nicked your phone, sat nav and wallet out of the cab and they'll have to reimburse you! 😉
AntDaily

Post by AntDaily »

painfort44 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:29 am
AntDaily wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:29 am
you should've just driven it, then when you got back to the yard, tell them you went to the loo and someone nicked your phone, sat nav and wallet out of the cab and they'll have to reimburse you! 😉
good idea ea... I'll do that next time
jeffMercy

Post by jeffMercy »

planner gets one on the head! 🤣
JoshDas

Post by JoshDas »

I would have done the same. Surely the insurance wouldn’t be happy if they found out and things were stolen
lntecher41

Post by lntecher41 »

Did the locker have anything in it that couldn't be removed which could have caused a hazard on the road?
Could the locker have cause a danger as a result of the door opening while driving? Such as pertruding as a result of wind catching it and causing injury to a pedestrian etc?
I suspect the answer to these questions will be no but it would feel like the only justifiable reason for not taking the lorry out for safety reasons.
The other factor would be on security grounds however this would only be reasonable if the items couldn't be secured in other lockers or compartments.
Carrying out a investigation could be deemed reasonable depending on circumstances.
Your refusal could be considered insubordination.
I wonder if a investigation however has more to do with conduct surrounding the incident then the incident itself?
So what exactly is the investigation invite for?
PauSpinn

Post by PauSpinn »

lntecher41 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:34 am Did the locker have anything in it that couldn't be removed which could have caused a hazard on the road?
Could the locker have cause a danger as a result of the door opening while driving? Such as pertruding as a result of wind catching it and causing injury to a pedestrian etc?
I suspect the answer to these questions will be no but it would feel like the only justifiable reason for not taking the lorry out for safety reasons.
The other factor would be on security grounds however this would only be reasonable if the items couldn't be secured in other lockers or compartments.
Carrying out a investigation could be deemed reasonable depending on circumstances.
I wonder if a investigation however has more to do with conduct surrounding the incident then the incident itself?
he said the door lock was faulty not the locker
lntecher41

Post by lntecher41 »

PauSpinn wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:35 am
lntecher41 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:34 am Did the locker have anything in it that couldn't be removed which could have caused a hazard on the road?
yes I appreciate that, what in my comment makes you believe I fail to understand this?
StrSimmill

Post by StrSimmill »

lntecher41 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:35 am
yes I appreciate that, what in my comment makes you believe I fail to understand this?
the fact you said locker 37 times presumably
lntecher41

Post by lntecher41 »

StrSimmill wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:37 am

lol so genuinely I miss read this entire post and continued to do so even after PauSpinn commented.
What a prat 😆
However that does rather change things as it's reasonable to refuse to take the lorry out.
Therefore I would imagine the investigation has to be about their conduct while dealing with the matter, unless its a particularly unreasonable employer.
StrSimmill

Post by StrSimmill »

lntecher41 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:39 am

lol so genuinely I miss read this entire post and continued to do so even after PauSpinn commented.
What a prat 😆
However that does rather change things as it's reasonable to refuse to take the lorry out.
Therefore I would imagine the investigation has to be about their conduct while dealing with the matter, unless its a particularly unreasonable employer.
I agree 🤣🤣🤣
lntecher41

Post by lntecher41 »

StrSimmill wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:39 am
lntecher41 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:39 am

What a prat 😆
I agree 🤣🤣🤣
see now I am not sure if you agree I am a prat or that a investigation is likely to be for conduct?
Maybe both 😆
lntecher41

Post by lntecher41 »

I don't see the point really, it's a genuine error and I suspect that is obvious to anyone reading it.
I am interested though in what is going on with the investigation, I used to carry out investigations and disciplinaries, I liked doing them and am pretty knowledgeable on how they should be conducted.
davement51

Post by davement51 »

lntecher41 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:40 am I don't see the point really, it's a genuine error and I suspect that is obvious to anyone reading it.
I am interested though in what is going on with the investigation, I used to carry out investigations and disciplinaries, I liked doing them and am pretty knowledgeable on how they should be conducted.
would you say the same thing if your front door of your house didn't lock, but it's alright, you can lock important items in a medicine cabinet...
Same principle.
And your house insurance wouldn't cover you in the event of a theft....
lntecher41

Post by lntecher41 »

davement51 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:41 am
lntecher41 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:40 am I don't see the point really, it's a genuine error and I suspect that is obvious to anyone reading it.
would you say the same thing if your front door of your house didn't lock, but it's alright, you can lock important items in a medicine cabinet...
Same principle.
And your house insurance wouldn't cover you in the event of a theft....
someone hasn't read all of my comments.
Or you have completely misread my comment, something I am in no position to criticize today 😃
caystarcu01

Post by caystarcu01 »

A bit borderline. I think I would have taken it, but respect to you for saying no. It's drivers decision. But... borderline.
lntecher41

Post by lntecher41 »

caystarcu01 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:44 am A bit borderline. I think I would have taken it, but respect to you for saying no. It's drivers decision. But... borderline.
now that I understand its the door that didn't lock (you will have to read my post) I don't think this is borderline at all.
It's reasonable for the driver to have concerns over their property remaining safe but crucially their own safety.
If the driver felt unsafe anywhere then they wouldn't be able to lock themselves in the vehicle and that should be seen as more then reasonable.
caystarcu01

Post by caystarcu01 »

lntecher41 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:44 am
caystarcu01 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:44 am A bit borderline. I think I would have taken it, but respect to you for saying no. It's drivers decision. But... borderline.
now that I understand its the door that didn't lock (you will have to read my post) I don't think this is borderline at all.
It's reasonable for the driver to have concerns over their property remaining safe but crucially their own safety.
If the driver felt unsafe anywhere then they wouldn't be able to lock themselves in the vehicle and that should be seen as more then reasonable.
yeh. Fair dooose
NichThug

Post by NichThug »

Just drive the bloody thing....if anything goes wrong it's down to the company
AntDaily

Post by AntDaily »

NichThug wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:46 am Just drive the bloody thing....if anything goes wrong it's down to the company
what about my stuff.... Should I I'll take it with me every time when I go for a wee or?
WoodNoff

Post by WoodNoff »

AntDaily wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:47 am
NichThug wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:46 am Just drive the bloody thing....if anything goes wrong it's down to the company
what about my stuff.... Should I I'll take it with me every time when I go for a wee or?
piss up your wheel.
garyphas32

Post by garyphas32 »

yes. Pack and carry all of your belongings when on your break. Obviously start the clock after you’ve gathered everything up and stop it before you put stuff back. Make sure you split your 45 into 15/30 as well.
KarlRox

Post by KarlRox »

how much stuff do you have as a day driver?
shaBauer

Post by shaBauer »

What happens if the lock gives way while driving & the door flies open??????
WoodNoff

Post by WoodNoff »

shaBauer wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:50 am What happens if the lock gives way while driving & the door flies open??????
he said it won't lock, not it won't close
lntecher41

Post by lntecher41 »

shaBauer wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:50 am What happens if the lock gives way while driving & the door flies open??????
this I suspect is the only real defense, however if the locker catches and it really is just a matter of locking it then I am not sure it would make for a successful defense.
macPharos

Post by macPharos »

lntecher41 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:51 am
this I suspect is the only real defense, however if the locker catches and it really is just a matter of locking it then I am not sure it would make for a successful defense.
only defense? How long you think it’d take for some f*kwit to pull the handbrake in your absence? Slim chance, but possible, would you seriously risk that and the possible consequences?
lntecher41

Post by lntecher41 »

macPharos wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:52 am
lntecher41 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:51 am
only defense? How long you think it’d take for some f*kwit to pull the handbrake in your absence? Slim chance, but possible, would you seriously risk that and the possible consequences?
there was somewhat of a misunderstanding on my behalf over what didn't lock.
I misread this post as the lockers being defective rather then the cab doors, this you will see if you read my own comment on the thread.
So in essence I agree, on the basis that the cab doors don't lock it is reasonable to refuse to take the lorry out for a number of reasons.
MoorElite

Post by MoorElite »

exactly!
BearJeans

Post by BearJeans »

You are bang on right to refuse. I hope you're a union member as they'll sort your company out
darrZero

Post by darrZero »

If that was me I'd get it in writing then take the wagon out. Every time I stopped for a pee I'd take my time packing my stuff up and taking it with me, I wouldn't rush. If the wagon gets nicked it's their problem.
NeedLex

Post by NeedLex »

Lock it from inside and then climb out the window.
oliagen36

Post by oliagen36 »

I swear to god I’ve seen a load refused on those grounds.
Sainsburys Stoke (the super shithole) is one of those places that insists goods in driver’s units must be locked when they’re on bays. I was sat in waiting room when a lad came in, handed his keys in, and when asked whether his cab was locked he said no and explained the lock was broken and they wouldn’t tip him, knocked the load back.
KeiNetwork

Post by KeiNetwork »

If the driver finds a defect then the office should follow through with said defect. In my opinion you should have been given another unit. Imagine you taking a trailer that wouldn’t lock and stock went missing??
anthMine

Post by anthMine »

KeiNetwork wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:02 am If the driver finds a defect then the office should follow through with said defect. In my opinion you should have been given another unit. Imagine you taking a trailer that wouldn’t lock and stock went missing??
couldn't agree more. But as a driver your a grown up if you think it's wrong don't take it. The company can either back down & give you another unit or threatening disciplinary action.
🫣🫣🫣 nit that I've been there before
Petkersco

Post by Petkersco »

Do you deliver to places where you need to lock your cab whilst you unload?
Such as if you need to park on a street to unload and you need to secure the cab and in order to prevent your things being stolen whilst your in the trailer or to stop some idiot trying to steal the truck or just release the parking brake.
WillFraser

Post by WillFraser »

In any event of a accident and you were trapped inside the unit would your planner put his hands up and say no worries officer I told him it was okay to drive as the person in charge of that vehicle once it left the yard its your responsibility and your the person who either gets busted by vosa or loses there life because your trapped and can't get out
WalRaven

Post by WalRaven »

WillFraser wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:08 am In any event of a accident and you were trapped inside the unit would your planner put his hands up and say no worries officer I told him it was okay to drive as the person in charge of that vehicle once it left the yard its your responsibility and your the person who either gets busted by vosa or loses there life because your trapped and can't get out
but you’d always be able to get out though
scrunnMJ

Post by scrunnMJ »

What is the company policy on replacing your property if it's stolen from an unlocked cab?
HollRida

Post by HollRida »

Why couldn’t you look at it
Sun in your eyes 😂😂👌👌
stepGreen

Post by stepGreen »

Does anyone remember the days when drivers weren't such little girls? Ffs get on with it.
lntecher41

Post by lntecher41 »

stepGreen wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:12 am Does anyone remember the days when drivers weren't such little girls? Ffs get on with it.
MUST MAN HARDER
GarLasting

Post by GarLasting »

stepGreen wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:12 am Does anyone remember the days when drivers weren't such little girls? Ffs get on with it.
not the drivers now it’s the companies, you sign off on everything,
McKeene

Post by McKeene »

are you a professional driver or just a wind up, or just a idgaf deputy bum l**k?
stepGreen

Post by stepGreen »

McKeene wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:16 am
are you a professional driver or just a wind up, or just a idgaf deputy bum l**k?
A what sweet heart?
McKeene

Post by McKeene »

stepGreen wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:17 am
McKeene wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:16 am
A what sweet heart?
If there was a defected door, investigation or not, they can't do nothing, you are responsible for your load and vehicle, if they try and discipline you, pm me and I will represent you.
olunicte67

Post by olunicte67 »

ffs those where the days.
Keaterrame

Post by Keaterrame »

I wish I’d be living in that time 🙄
micinar440

Post by micinar440 »

That attitude is why the job is so great these days. If it ain’t perfect, don’t drive it. Simples.
bobWeekly

Post by bobWeekly »

The jobs f@@ked just get on with it you wouldn't have lasted 5 min in the eighties
lesPower

Post by lesPower »

I remember going to a job as an agency driver, 0400 - no one about, opened the driver's door and it literally fell off onto the floor. I rang their head office who didn't grasp there was a ruddy great hole where the door used to be and they STILL asked me to drive it 😂😂😂
No help to the OP but, it bought back that happy memory 🤣😆
SimoXmc

Post by SimoXmc »

My old truck never use to lock 🤣 only thing i left on it would of been a £30 satnav and a lighter anyway 🤣
gareExtra

Post by gareExtra »

I hope you covered your ass with a defect!
lntecher41

Post by lntecher41 »

Out of interest. How long have you worked there?
AntDaily

Post by AntDaily »

lntecher41 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:27 am Out of interest. How long have you worked there?
nearly 3 years now. I think it's time to change
lntecher41

Post by lntecher41 »

AntDaily wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:28 am
lntecher41 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:27 am Out of interest. How long have you worked there?
that's good, means you are protected by having over 2 years service.
Means they must follow the correct procedures if they decide to discipline you.
What is the reason for the investigation?
AntDaily

Post by AntDaily »

lntecher41 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:28 am
I didn't receive any official email or a letter. My manager asked me what was happened and he said "maybe you have to come for an investigation because I refused to do my job... I said to him I just reported a defect and I didn't refused anything
lntecher41

Post by lntecher41 »

AntDaily wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:29 am

I didn't receive any official email or a letter. My manager asked me what was happened and he said "maybe you have to come for an investigation because I refused to do my job... I said to him I just reported a defect and I didn't refused anything
that sounds like they plan to treat the matter as insubordination, usually considered gross misconduct by most employers.
You should however be formally invited to a investigation meeting with a clear explanation of the allegation against you and a copy of the company's investigation and disciplinary procedures.
It could however be a empty threat in the hope that you would take the lorry out after you have raised what you to believe to be reasonable concerns with the vehicles safety.
That of course would be bullying in the work place and a suitable reason for raising a grievance.
AntDaily

Post by AntDaily »

lntecher41 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:30 am
AntDaily wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:29 am

that sounds like they plan to treat the matter as insubordination, usually considered gross misconduct by most employers.
You should however be formally invited to a investigation meeting with a clear explanation of the allegation against you and a copy of the company's investigation and disciplinary procedures.
It could however be a empty threat in the hope that you would take the lorry out after you have raised what you to believe to be reasonable concerns with the vehicles safety.
That of course would be bullying in the work place and a suitable reason for raising a grievance.
thank you! You seem to have a lot of experience in this field and know what you are talking about. I usually just defend, never attack. I will wait to see what they want from me. Thank you again

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”