Hi lads/ladies my first time out in an artic tomorrow night haven't driven or been near one since I passed in

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
StevMega

Hi lads/ladies my first time out in an artic tomorrow night haven't driven or been near one since I passed in

Post by StevMega »

Hi lads/ladies my first time out in an artic tomorrow night haven't driven or been near one since I passed in December slightly nervous but just gotta get on with it I guess any tips for a newbe much appreciated although I have 8 years experience on class 2
ianeese22

Re: Hi lads/ladies my first time out in an artic tomorrow night haven't driven or been near one since I passed in

Post by ianeese22 »

Above all, just take your time and don't be afraid to ask other drivers if your not sure about something. Reversing will come with practice. Good luck
StevMega

Re: Hi lads/ladies my first time out in an artic tomorrow night haven't driven or been near one since I passed in

Post by StevMega »

ianeese22 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:44 pm Above all, just take your time and don't be afraid to ask other drivers if your not sure about something. Reversing will come with practice. Good luck
thank you mate 👍
painfort44

Post by painfort44 »

Yeah, stop worrying about it.
Relax and just do what you do in your rigid.
You've passed your test so are fully able to do it.
Just go enjoy it.
Jongentum

Post by Jongentum »

painfort44 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:44 pm Yeah, stop worrying about it.
Just go enjoy it.
don't do what you do in a rigid no get very far doing that 🤣🤣
painfort44

Post by painfort44 »

Jongentum wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:45 pm
painfort44 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:44 pm Yeah, stop worrying about it.
Just go enjoy it.
don't do what you do in a rigid no get very far doing that 🤣🤣
I meant just be a truck driver, don't freeze up and panic.
marexer40

Post by marexer40 »

Just take your time m8 let all the heroes fly past blasting they're horns, better safe & late than never arriving 👌👌 best of luck
kevirugg07

Post by kevirugg07 »

Don't allow yourself to get distracted when doing checks and coupling, if you are start again mate
And relax 👍
GlenNess

Post by GlenNess »

Don’t worry your be fine I’m kinda new aswell my driver buddy i had at work told me not to rush take your time if In doubt get out and look and don’t be a c**t take a shunt plus he said if you don’t hit anything or anyone you’ve hade a good day
StevMega

Post by StevMega »

Cheers lads I'm sure I will be fine kinda can't wait to get in with it now
philArticles

Post by philArticles »

It was almost 2 years before I got in a bendy after my test. 2 years on a 4 and 8 wheeler. Just take your time, you got the skills, just let them develop
philArticles

Post by philArticles »

And don't be afraid to ask for help, tell people your new, we all had to start somewhere
DeaLummo

Post by DeaLummo »

Many have given simple yet the very best advice. Slow and steady, gives you time to think and react if necessary. Always make sure you have safe spaces, think about all aspects of being able to bring your vehicle to a controlled stop if necessary. Don't pull in to other drivers safe space (a far too common occurrence these days). Reversing will come, it doesn't matter how many shunts you take, it matters how safely the task is completed. Good luck
bullpenBen

Post by bullpenBen »

DeaLummo wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:55 pm Many have given simple yet the very best advice. Slow and steady, gives you time to think and react if necessary. Always make sure you have safe spaces, think about all aspects of being able to bring your vehicle to a controlled stop if necessary. Don't pull in to other drivers safe space (a far too common occurrence these days). Reversing will come, it doesn't matter how many shunts you take, it matters how safely the task is completed. Good luck
sound advice..👍
SeanGlitz

Post by SeanGlitz »

You'll be fine, the only difference will be its loaded this time, and don't worry if you cock up a reverse, we all do...
MicSuper

Post by MicSuper »

If not sure about a drop have a quick look on Google maps so your confident about getting in and out etc and like everyone said, take your time and don’t be rushed by anyone. Also check the dog clip if you’ve been away from the truck at any time, some right c*nts about. Good luck.
byreByfo

Post by byreByfo »

Take your time and don't take short cuts, if you've got the room use it also don't be worried about getting out and check behind you when reversing
todgamax8

Post by todgamax8 »

remember you are the driver not anyone in an office chasing times, wherever you are going will still be there when you arrive
bedxonyse

Post by bedxonyse »

Yeah, the best advice you’ll ever get… DON’T BE A C*NT TAKE A SHUNT, trust me it’s saved me a lot of paperwork 😬😬
LeePitcher

Post by LeePitcher »

Check pin, double check lines, legs number plate. Legs all the way up, when you go under the trailor just a little snatch to make sure it's locked in
NigMunde

Post by NigMunde »

Take your time when doing manoeuvres, doesn’t
Matter how many shunts it takes and don’t get flustered if it doesn’t go to plan
gletonera31

Post by gletonera31 »

Deep breaths and big bollox, you'll be fine.
DespairDarr

Post by DespairDarr »

Radio off. Phone off. Slow and wide. Couple of hours and what you learned will be back and then you can relax a little and start learning for real.
kirbReptile

Post by kirbReptile »

You’ll be alright just keep to the left get the front thru the rest will follow good luck
MacGold

Post by MacGold »

I’ve been driving 5 months now. The best advice I can give is not to let yourself get stressed. People won’t remember how many shunts you take or how many times you get out to look. They will definitely remember seeing you hit something!
gareXann

Post by gareXann »

MacGold wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:10 pm I’ve been driving 5 months now. The best advice I can give is not to let yourself get stressed. People won’t remember how many shunts you take or how many times you get out to look. They will definitely remember seeing you hit something!
never a truer word spoken 😆
vincMadd

Post by vincMadd »

If u have room use it...
If you don't...use it all..
That's what I was told 20 yrs ago...your in charge so drive to your satisfaction...watch out for cycling idiots and German branded cars..
PaCooled

Post by PaCooled »

Slow and steady, take as much room as you need. When reversing, start to get any lock on you need once you're about to pass the middle axle on the trailer. Remember, the faster you turn that wheel, the faster that back end is going to swing round.
Helped me out loads when I was learning to reverse.
tempixco67

Post by tempixco67 »

Remember GOAL get out and look
And a shunt costs nothing
And always on your mirrors, Just like you was trained to do
SteaMarkk

Post by SteaMarkk »

Keep checking mirrors, take your time and try to relax, good luck
garePress

Post by garePress »

Take your time enjoy it, if you need to put it in a bay somewhere and shunt it 20 times then do it, don't worry about what people think just do it safely and don't be afraid to ask someone to watch your back
nopNome

Post by nopNome »

Go wide when turning until you get a feel for it. Better to go too wide than put yourself up against the barrier or bollards. Make a habit of checking the dog clip every time you leave the vehicle. If anyone takes the mickey just think of them as idiots(which they probably are). Don't be afraid to ask
TerrTinker

Post by TerrTinker »

Just take your time don’t let anybody rush or distract you the rest will come naturally 🤞
RyShades

Post by RyShades »

Take it easy. When it comes to reversing or negotiating on to the bay take your time and don’t be afraid to tell the staff that your new to all this. Enjoy being a member of the top 1% of elite pro drivers.
gelmentad56

Post by gelmentad56 »

You’ll be fine just keep an eye on the mirrors
YeoSlayer

Post by YeoSlayer »

B.L.A.C.K
Don’t lose your trailer on your first trip out.
hallCapo

Post by hallCapo »

YeoSlayer wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:32 pm B.L.A.C.K
saw that the other in a RDC mmm.. legs down 🤬😡🤬😡
livmmenth09

Post by livmmenth09 »

Could you expand a little please?
YeoSlayer

Post by YeoSlayer »

livmmenth09 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:34 pm
Brakes
Legs
Air
Clip
Kingpin
Or the reverse for coupling
livmmenth09

Post by livmmenth09 »

YeoSlayer wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:35 pm
Brakes
Legs
Air
Clip
Kingpin
thanks. Been 10yrs since I drove a class 1.
livmmenth09

Post by livmmenth09 »

Brakes
Legs
Air
Clip
Kingpin
Don't fall back into class 2 mode, just remember mirrors mirrors mirrors
KellForb

Post by KellForb »

Brakes
Legs
Air
Clip
Kingpin
on the cabs I learned it it was BLANK for the couple/ uncouple part of the test. Brakes. Legs. Air. Number plate. Kingpin.
What does the “clip” refer to?
racwden94

Post by racwden94 »

KellForb wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:38 pm

Brakes
Legs
Air
Clip
Kingpin
on the cabs I learned it it was BLANK for the couple/ uncouple part of the test. Brakes. Legs. Air. Number plate. Kingpin.
What does the “clip” refer to?
the clip is the dog clip you put into your kingpin release arm as an extra measure to stop it working itself loose
HalThere

Post by HalThere »

I was away from truck driving in the 90’s and noughties as a computer engineer. Went back driving after 15 years and 5 redundancies. I was thrown in at the deep end in 2004. Let myself into the yard using the key under the flowerpot. Find the unit, then the trailer. Only to find 2 extra suzies that weren’t there from before. Managed to couple up and get the load delivered and back no dramas. I just took my time and thought about each step. Been out of it for 2 years now. But I don’t miss it.
sphingall

Post by sphingall »

HalThere wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:42 pm I was away from truck driving in the 90’s and noughties as a computer engineer. Went back driving after 15 years and 5 redundancies. I was thrown in at the deep end in 2004. Let myself into the yard using the key under the flowerpot. Find the unit, then the trailer. Only to find 2 extra suzies that weren’t there from before. Managed to couple up and get the load delivered and back no dramas. I just took my time and thought about each step. Been out of it for 2 years now. But I don’t miss it.
two extra?
AnguJan

Post by AnguJan »

Double check everything
Petkersco

Post by Petkersco »

Take your time. Not sure about anything then ask.
20 years in if I’ve never been to a particular store or collection I still ask someone who has as sat navs don’t have common sense.
I’d like to think they’d buddy you up with someone for a day or 2 especially if you have limited experience.
jasoFaso

Post by jasoFaso »

Petkersco wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:44 pm Take your time. Not sure about anything then ask.
20 years in if I’ve never been to a particular store or collection I still ask someone who has as sat navs don’t have common sense.
I’d like to think they’d buddy you up with someone for a day or 2 especially if you have limited experience.
top advice that, was just about to comment similar, well done 👍
Petkersco

Post by Petkersco »

jasoFaso wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:46 pm
Petkersco wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:44 pm Take your time. Not sure about anything then ask.
thanks.
StevMega

Post by StevMega »

trouble is I'm gunner be by myself as I'm agency and they just want the job done etc. but with all this really helpful advice I'm definitely feeling more confident about it
jasoFaso

Post by jasoFaso »

StevMega wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:47 pm
trouble is I'm gunner be by myself as I'm agency and they just want the job done etc. but with all this really helpful advice I'm definitely feeling more confident about it
most of my tales start with “an auld lad once told me”… Your only ever as good as your last fuck up! So don’t f**k up, take your time, don’t be rushed, if in doubt ask 😁
jasoFaso

Post by jasoFaso »

StevMega wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:47 pm
It’s the small victories that count - like you & the truck coming home in one piece…😁
andtneter20

Post by andtneter20 »

On a reverse. Starting point is your friend. Think about it before just diving in. If you can turn it round to avoid a blindside reverse. Turn it round !!!
HidWise

Post by HidWise »

Take your time, nothing wrong with getting out and having a look. Rather take an extra shunt than hit something. Good luck and hope it goes well fella
NormDay

Post by NormDay »

Check your height yourself
LongBee

Post by LongBee »

Where you going so we can all avoid you 😂 only joking just take you’re time fella 🚚
laironic08

Post by laironic08 »

Don't be afraid to ask other drivers for help. Most will be only too pleased, and will tell you they all have difficult days after decades!
IanBuffy

Post by IanBuffy »

Like others say take your time and ask if not sure
I’m assuming when you say out tonight then you’re a night driver?
If so then take a break when you need one even if it’s only a 15 minute Power Nap 💤
thomWell

Post by thomWell »

Take your time on taking corner’s Take them wide and Watch the corners take as much road as you think you need and watch the car’s coming up on your near side.
NoaReady

Post by NoaReady »

Once again, take your time. In close 1/4s don't be shy to ask for a 2nd pair of eyes. Good luck out there.
layrantis45

Post by layrantis45 »

Take your time, check check and check again. At deliveries ask how others do it. Relax... That's about it really. Stay safe
BuffChamp

Post by BuffChamp »

Just remember go wide when turning left and always watch ur trailer wheels. Remember your height and go slow when reversing as it’s not a race. Avoid reversing on your blind side where possible. Go and turn around if you can to reverse on goo side. Just take your time and you will get the hang of it no problem. I’ve been driving artics 30 years and still love doing it. Good luck.
ogppesso11

Post by ogppesso11 »

Take your time. Make sure you know your route before you set out. A little preparation goes a long way.
DudLedger

Post by DudLedger »

Slow and steady wins the race
aarOscar6

Post by aarOscar6 »

Artic is easier than rigid. Much more manoeuvrable. Take your time, remember your training and you'll be fine..
DouDough

Post by DouDough »

As others have said if there's room use it and as an old boy once said to me you need 3 pairs of eyes one to watch the mirrors one to watch where your going and the other to close and wait for the bang
ChGlimmer

Post by ChGlimmer »

DouDough wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:08 pm As others have said if there's room use it and as an old boy once said to me you need 3 pairs of eyes one to watch the mirrors one to watch where your going and the other to close and wait for the bang
i like the last one 😂
MilTeenie

Post by MilTeenie »

Take your time don't overthink things u will be fine 🙂
robiCotton

Post by robiCotton »

You'll be fine driver, just take your time, my main advice would be firstly to size up the situation you find yourself in, don't just drive into anywhere and expect that there is enough space to manouver ie get out. If your not sure don't do it. And ask if your struggling most drivers will help you out, there a great bunch
ashFortune

Post by ashFortune »

Go careful don't let people rush you when reversing if not sure get out an check an don't be shy to ask for help x

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”