Hi lads/ladies my first time out in an artic tomorrow night haven't driven or been near one since I passed in

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
oatStacey

Re: Hi lads/ladies my first time out in an artic tomorrow night haven't driven or been near one since I passed in

Post by oatStacey »

You’re biggest problem is remembering how long your vehicle is, remember to check your mirrors to make sure your trailer wheels are far enough before turning……
JoeGooble

Re: Hi lads/ladies my first time out in an artic tomorrow night haven't driven or been near one since I passed in

Post by JoeGooble »

Don't be rushed, ask for help if you need it. Don't worry about taking any shunts, better than explaining any damage.
BriPress

Post by BriPress »

When you reverse, forget your hands. Mark the 6 o clock position on the wheel with a bit of tape…wherever the tape moves is the mirror to look into…it will reflect the angle the back end is changing too……when you hit the sweet spot, ease it off, don’t over steer…good luck
PhDegree

Post by PhDegree »

Just get on with it, we all started that way, I passed my test in 91,Friday,on Sunday went to London
CoePerfect

Post by CoePerfect »

I done the same, I passed in April last year and I didn’t start driving until six months later, I was a bit nervous to begin with but the company I am with Dave fantastic training as a new driver which took away a lot of the worries.
What exactly is it that you’re going to be driving?
The most important thing I found is just to take your time and don’t race around at other peoples speeds as speed comes with repetition and experience.
Just drive as you did on your test and you will be safe and don’t ever be afraid to ask another driver for help because on the handful of occasions I have had to ask Someone else, they have always been happy to help.
sedSetup

Post by sedSetup »

Take it easy and never rush through your checks and breaks.
And if you get flustered at all, just stop and have 10 mins and get your head straight.
This might get some stick from others but it works for me.
AndBulletin

Post by AndBulletin »

Plenty of use of the horn, loads of Vs out the window and silently count to 10 ohh and deep breaths ,but don’t cry is not a good sign unless vosa are standing next to you…best of luck fella 👍.
trumpTonn

Post by trumpTonn »

Just remember this one turns just behind the cab !!
DayDavv

Post by DayDavv »

When reversing. If you’re not sure get out and have a look. Don’t let impatient car drivers rush you into making a stupid mistake. Make them wait. Other than that enjoy 👍👍
mayFlash

Post by mayFlash »

Take your time, don’t get flustered. If you have to stop, take a breath and reassess your surroundings.
panner41

Post by panner41 »

Don't be a hero the tortoise wins the race
deanceps99

Post by deanceps99 »

Double check everything when you've done ot see of you've forgotten anything. Don't rush. When reversing especially when new to the delivery point get out and look. GOAL. Good luck.
BarZero

Post by BarZero »

Shiny side up, greasy side down. Keep your mirrors clean & set for you, never rush.
BilPower

Post by BilPower »

Where will you be? I'll avoid the place. LoL, 👍😂.
keitSublime

Post by keitSublime »

If car drivers get impatient take 15 extra shunts of no more than 1metre at a time to really irate them 🤣😴
andDefund

Post by andDefund »

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but when reversing trailer turns opposite to your rigid when turning the wheel, and your turning point is middle axle.
hallCapo

Post by hallCapo »

Take your time, don't be worried and chin off the knobs that try to rush you.. I'm 32 yrs in and learn something everyday.. Enjoy and be safe dude.. 🚛🚚👍
FlaFlorin

Post by FlaFlorin »

Slow and steady when reversing take your time and get out and look around
ChriKiddo

Post by ChriKiddo »

Just slow and steady, get out and look and don’t feel under pressure
aidpine99

Post by aidpine99 »

I’ve had my class 1 for 14yrs and only do about 2.5yrs driving altogether cause I enjoy driving a bin wagon more (plus to money for hours I do) but what I’ve always said when I see a question like this is……
Take ur time, don’t make anyone rush u until u feel safe and always believe that there’s NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION.
Otherwise, good luck and enjoy 👌
IanJean

Post by IanJean »

Give yourself as much room as you can , take your time and make smart decisions
DereVamp

Post by DereVamp »

The best bit of advice I was given was if you are not sure when reversing how near you are to anything behind you- get out and have a look! It's a longer walk if you do reverse into something ( and am a lazy bas!🤣).
Applies to rigids as
edwcandHW

Post by edwcandHW »

Take your time settle in.. till you feel comfortable 😌... abit of common sense. Not sure about things??? Ask.
CharScree

Post by CharScree »

If you take 8 shunts get out 3 times you look a C if you hit something you are one
orcomater40

Post by orcomater40 »

Yeah take your time when reversing don’t forget your banana if in doubt give other truckers a shout I’m sure they’ll happy to help
dazDamar

Post by dazDamar »

Always get out and assess before reversing, there may be previous damage around the area which gives a clue where others have come to grief.
EddWesley

Post by EddWesley »

“ an auld guy once told me “… Don’t be a c*nt - make a shunt
Just something I’ve always remembered
Take ya time, unsure ASK
Good luck
patergett77

Post by patergett77 »

Open rear doors before backing on bay
LeeShiya

Post by LeeShiya »

Set-up sat nav slightly higher than actual, I go for .1m
Have a look at the route and checkout the loading/delivery point on Google maps sat view to get an idea of entry, exit, turning and parking. Never go in blind!!

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”