Just a tacho question? The scenario is - Work starts at 6:30 I arrive at 6:20 and discuss run with manager before

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
StuBlacken

Just a tacho question? The scenario is - Work starts at 6:30 I arrive at 6:20 and discuss run with manager before

Post by StuBlacken »

Just a tacho question?
The scenario is -
Work starts at 6:30 I arrive at 6:20 and discuss run with manager before putting tacho card in at 6:30.
Finish the day at 16:00 and take card out. Discuss the day with management and leave at 16:15.
Is it a LEGAL requirement to do a manual entry the next day to cover the 15 minutes at the end of the day and the 10 minutes at the start of the day??
Or is it just ‘good practice’ to do the manual entry?
Never drive more than 4.5 hours and working day is 9hours.
I will wait for the p**s take answers.
All these hours for £40 a week!!
ianeese22

Re: Just a tacho question? The scenario is - Work starts at 6:30 I arrive at 6:20 and discuss run with manager before

Post by ianeese22 »

Work is work, if you are discussing work then you should be paid for that time.
Not just for the tacho rules.
StuBlacken

Re: Just a tacho question? The scenario is - Work starts at 6:30 I arrive at 6:20 and discuss run with manager before

Post by StuBlacken »

ianeese22 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:36 am Work is work, if you are discussing work then you should be paid for that time.
Not just for the tacho rules.
salaried so paid for the 45 hour contract regardless
kevirugg07

Post by kevirugg07 »

It's a legal requirement to show all activities
GlenNess

Post by GlenNess »

Technically, you are working for 10 minutes before you stick your card in. So by law, you should do a manual entry for that and the 15 minutes after too.
FoxPhreek

Post by FoxPhreek »

By the book you should have done a manual entry at the point of discussing work with the manager and at the end when you were actually finished all work related activities. Real world I don’t think most people would bother.
ashnius01

Post by ashnius01 »

All activities should be shown now. Including rest
MicSuper

Post by MicSuper »

Our company policy is to do a manual entry to cover the complete 24 hours I also believe this is a legal requirement like you I start before I put my card in and take my card out before I finish therefore I add 10 minutes either side of my cards day to cover this
FoxPhreek

Post by FoxPhreek »

MicSuper wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:44 am Our company policy is to do a manual entry to cover the complete 24 hours I also believe this is a legal requirement like you I start before I put my card in and take my card out before I finish therefore I add 10 minutes either side of my cards day to cover this
it's not just company policy, it's also a requirement under the EU/AETR regulations.
MicSuper

Post by MicSuper »

FoxPhreek wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:44 am
MicSuper wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:44 am Our company policy is to do a manual entry to cover the complete 24 hours I also believe this is a legal requirement like you I start before I put my card in and take my card out before I finish therefore I add 10 minutes either side of my cards day to cover this
it's not just company policy, it's also a requirement under the EU/AETR regulations.
yes I thought so
LongRpg

Post by LongRpg »

Depends if you want to get a little telling off and a small fine for failure to keep correct tachograph records or not, really.
ashnius01

Post by ashnius01 »

You should do a manual entry for all hours WORKED. regardless of whether you're getting paid for it or not...
procHaro

Post by procHaro »

put card in at 0630 stick it on other work go chat to boss then do daily check same at end of shift saves doing manual entry lol
wilContent

Post by wilContent »

Yes its a legal requirement, you are at work and that time has to be accounted for.
DecGrand

Post by DecGrand »

We have to now let’s say I arrive at work and clock in on the wall machine at 01:00 and I’m in my truck by 1:13 we need to now manual entry the 13 as other work as soon as we get in but also need to manual entry any time from parking up the day before and putting stuff in lockers and up-to the wall clock machine when leaving the day before
LongRpg

Post by LongRpg »

You should do a manual entry at the start of the day to cover the work time between pulling your card and leaving work the night before and from arriving to putting your card back in that morning.
tomsDarth

Post by tomsDarth »

every thing you do need to be recorded, that 15mins should be recorded other work
DecGrand

Post by DecGrand »

It's a legal requirement, also to show rest too amounting to an unbroken record of activity on the card for the past 28 days...
Don't forget to record the rest period between your previous shift and the other work that starts at 0620 before manually inputting the 10 mins till your card went in at 0630... It's fine to enter the 15 mins debrief other work at the start of the next shift... Hope this helps 👍
FoxPhreek

Post by FoxPhreek »

I do it from the time I started from the time I finish even if I got held up at the gatehouse I just do a manual entry
procHaro

Post by procHaro »

We're you required to speak to the manager before and after the duty, or was it your decision to get in a bit early and stay a bit later for a chat? That's the difference between having to record it as working time or rest.
StuBlacken

Post by StuBlacken »

procHaro wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:02 am We're you required to speak to the manager before and after the duty, or was it your decision to get in a bit early and stay a bit later for a chat? That's the difference between having to record it as working time or rest.
not required to talk to manager but just throwing out the scenario to clarify the manual entry legality 👍
procHaro

Post by procHaro »

StuBlacken wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:03 am
procHaro wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:02 am We're you required to speak to the manager before and after the duty, or was it your decision to get in a bit early and stay a bit later for a chat? That's the difference between having to record it as working time or rest.
not required to talk to manager but just throwing out the scenario to clarify the manual entry legality 👍
In which case, you were freely disposing of your own time. So it could be recorded as rest. The fact you were discussing work activities is irrelevant. But, where is the work period between booking on and getting to the vehicle. How do you clock in at 06.30 and insert the card at the same time? Where are the vehicle keys and paperwork?
RobeCobe

Post by RobeCobe »

procHaro wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:03 am
In which case, you were freely disposing of your own time. So it could be recorded as rest. The fact you were discussing work activities is irrelevant. But, where is the work period between booking on and getting to the vehicle. How do you clock in at 06.30 and insert the card at the same time? Where are the vehicle keys and paperwork?
no sorry that's wrong. Unless the keys and paperwork magically appear in your hands or are waiting for you in the vehicle you are expected to show time allowed for a start and end shift briefing. If stopped and there is no time allowed for that questions will be asked.
StuBlacken

Post by StuBlacken »

RobeCobe wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:04 am

no sorry that's wrong. Unless the keys and paperwork magically appear in your hands or are waiting for you in the vehicle you are expected to show time allowed for a start and end shift briefing. If stopped and there is no time allowed for that questions will be asked.
Don’t have to clock on, but yes it’s about the time it takes to get paperwork keys etc in the morning and hand keys etc back in at the end of the day.
So as I understand from arriving at work and putting tacho in to taking tacho out and leaving however long it takes both is a legal requirement should be recorded as ‘other work’
procHaro

Post by procHaro »

It's correct. You need to read my comment fully. The time spent speaking to the manager can be rest if it's voluntary. Nothing stopping anyone going in early or staying back after finishing work for a chat with the manager. The questions I posed were, where is the working time prior to insertion of driver card? (clocking on, collecting keys and paperwork etc.) And the same after removing the driver card. This would be working time and must be recorded.
RobeCobe

Post by RobeCobe »

procHaro wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:05 am

It's correct. You need to read my comment fully. The time spent speaking to the manager can be rest if it's voluntary. Nothing stopping anyone going in early or staying back after finishing work for a chat with the manager. The questions I posed were, where is the working time prior to insertion of driver card? (clocking on, collecting keys and paperwork etc.) And the same after removing the driver card. This would be working time and must be recorded.
I'm not going to argue but you are mistaken. As explained to me you set foot through the door to start your shift you are at work until you step off the premises at the end of the shift. No one in their right mind would choose to dispose of their free time prior to or at the end of the shift chatting to the planner/manager. You'd have a tough time explaining it if asked.
procHaro

Post by procHaro »

RobeCobe wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:06 am

I'm not going to argue but you are mistaken. As explained to me you set foot through the door to start your shift you are at work until you step off the premises at the end of the shift. No one in their right mind would choose to dispose of their free time prior to or at the end of the shift chatting to the planner/manager. You'd have a tough time explaining it if asked.
Who ever explained it to you was wrong. And i'm not mistaken. 😉
RobeCobe

Post by RobeCobe »

procHaro wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:06 am

if you say so 🤷‍♂️
procHaro

Post by procHaro »

if you say so 🤷‍♂️
It's the drivers hours regulations that say so.
RobeCobe

Post by RobeCobe »

procHaro wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:07 am

if you say so 🤷‍♂️
okay..... where?
procHaro

Post by procHaro »

RobeCobe wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:07 am

if you say so 🤷‍♂️
okay..... where?
Just read the definition of "Rest"
RobeCobe

Post by RobeCobe »

procHaro wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:08 am

okay..... where?
"cease work or movement in order to relax, sleep, or recover strength.
"he needed to rest after the feverish activity"
And?
procHaro

Post by procHaro »

RobeCobe wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:08 am

okay..... where?
And?
Don't know what regulations you're reading. But they aren't the ones relating to in scope driving and rest periods.
RobeCobe

Post by RobeCobe »

procHaro wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:09 am

And?
Don't know what regulations you're reading. But they aren't the ones relating to in scope driving and rest periods.
you asked for the definition of rest...
RobeCobe

Post by RobeCobe »

And?
try telling anyone that you chose to dispose of your free time at your place of work... Good luck with that one.
ashnius01

Post by ashnius01 »

RobeCobe wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:09 am

And?
try telling anyone that you chose to dispose of your free time at your place of work... Good luck with that one.
and where does it state that you can't dispose of your time in the yard?
RobeCobe

Post by RobeCobe »

ashnius01 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:10 am

it doesn't but seriously who the chuff hangs around the yard after a shift or goes in early just to chat to the gaffer!
ashnius01

Post by ashnius01 »

RobeCobe wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:10 am
ashnius01 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:10 am

it doesn't but seriously who the chuff hangs around the yard after a shift or goes in early just to chat to the gaffer!
maybe they're old friends 🤷‍♂️
porrewinp22

Post by porrewinp22 »

Technically you should do manual entry from 6:20 and then do a manual entry for the 15 mins after 16:00. By law now you have to show everything you do
StuBlacken

Post by StuBlacken »

Thanks for the info and clarification guys and galls
👍👍
LindKino

Post by LindKino »

I always manual entry at least 15 mins after each shift to cover my debrief. Manual entry next day and always put start time in
alanGallon

Post by alanGallon »

If my shift started at 06:30 I wouldn’t talk to my my boss until 06:30 😂😂
FoxPhreek

Post by FoxPhreek »

alanGallon wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:20 am If my shift started at 06:30 I wouldn’t talk to my my boss until 06:30 😂😂
if I started at 6:30 I would talk to my boss until 16:20 for a 16:30 finish
IannJinn

Post by IannJinn »

Legal requirement, you are required to record all work on tacho.
mickMage

Post by mickMage »

Yes, legal requirement, you best off leaving you card in while talking to management and walk around checks
wilContent

Post by wilContent »

Your rest time starts when you leave the building, you start time is when you enter it
QuicSoft

Post by QuicSoft »

Not sure if this helps. I spoke to a dvsa officer about this a while ago and he said that getting to your place of work early doesn't need to be recorded ie 10mins. However if you start doing work even if it's paperwork you must record it via a manual entry. I said that if my official start time is 9pm then from 9pm my card goes in and starts my shift with the manual entry to cover yesterday, he said that was perfectly legal. He encouraged me to allow 15mins at the end of withdrawing my card just incase the office needed me to do paperwork or talk to me about WORK. Hence the manual entry at the start of each shift.
LongRpg

Post by LongRpg »

Question.
1. Do you park your vehicle next to your wagon and have your keys to wagon in your pocket, ??
2. Do you park your car, go to office collect keys, paperwork discuss route and load, ???
3. Return will be result of answer 1 or 2 ??
porrewinp22

Post by porrewinp22 »

Never done a manual entry in my life. Never had an infringement for it neither.
LindKino

Post by LindKino »

porrewinp22 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:30 am Never done a manual entry in my life. Never had an infringement for it neither.
you never would get an infringement for not doing a manual entry. If pulled by the DVSA that would be another matter.
seanNote

Post by seanNote »

LindKino wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:30 am
porrewinp22 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:30 am Never done a manual entry in my life. Never had an infringement for it neither.
you never would get an infringement for not doing a manual entry. If pulled by the DVSA that would be another matter.
never done manual entry either pulled by DVSA last week all good nothing said
LindKino

Post by LindKino »

seanNote wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:33 am
LindKino wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:30 am
never done manual entry either pulled by DVSA last week all good nothing said
do you press rest till now on tacho in a morning? Or leave card in overnight on rest thru the week.
alanGallon

Post by alanGallon »

do you press ok when it asks for your start country when you put your card in?
Then when you take your card out it asks for the finish country!!
Both those are manual entries!!
porrewinp22

Post by porrewinp22 »

alanGallon wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:34 am
do you press ok when it asks for your start country when you put your card in?
Then when you take your card out it asks for the finish country!!
Both those are manual entries!!
spent 20 years on continental work but not since 2008 so the answer to your question is no I don't
eadieNeddy

Post by eadieNeddy »

What can they prove when they pull you? 10 mins here, 15 mins there over a spread of 9. Depends how much you rely on your licence I suppose. I’d make sure your taco rolls with your clock card if you’ve got one, if not I wouldn’t worry too much.
IannJinn

Post by IannJinn »

eadieNeddy wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:39 am What can they prove when they pull you? 10 mins here, 15 mins there over a spread of 9. Depends how much you rely on your licence I suppose. I’d make sure your taco rolls with your clock card if you’ve got one, if not I wouldn’t worry too much.
All designed to get ££££ out of u on a vosa check we are mobile atm's French have it of to an art
mickMage

Post by mickMage »

Every second minute hour of a shift that you are getting paid for by the company needs accounting for if that be a manual entry so be it
QuicSoft

Post by QuicSoft »

Your getting paid for it so count it 🤣
seanNote

Post by seanNote »

Right 10 minutes before shift starts do that over 5 days that’s 50 minutes you’re giving them end of shift 15 minutes over 5 days that’s 2and a quarter hours a week so you are giving them 3hours 5 minutes a week you’re not getting paid for so if you start at 6.30 then you don’t do anything until your start time and as for manual entry then you do 6.20 and 16.15 because you’re working
flinBerlin

Post by flinBerlin »

Manual entry from when I go through the gate and when I go through the gate on the way home
JeffAlpha

Post by JeffAlpha »

As a mandatory rule you have to enter manually the time you arrive on the site you work from and when you actually leave the site.
DecGrand

Post by DecGrand »

JeffAlpha wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:45 am As a mandatory rule you have to enter manually the time you arrive on the site you work from and when you actually leave the site.
and your rest
eadieNeddy

Post by eadieNeddy »

If my day started at 0630 I'd find another job.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”