I have had a form come down from work that needs to be signed regarding recording of drivers hours. However I’m,

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
adyggeens33

I have had a form come down from work that needs to be signed regarding recording of drivers hours. However I’m,

Post by adyggeens33 »

I have had a form come down from work that needs to be signed regarding recording of drivers hours. However I’m pretty sure it’s incorrect. It states that changes in legislation now state that all activity needs to be recorded outside of normal working hours, I.e. breaks other work etc. I know this part is correct but it states that this must be recorded on the reverse of a tacho roll.
“A driver finishes on Friday and returns to work on Monday, he or she will need to make a record of Saturday - rest day and also Sunday - rest day, on two separate pieces of printout rolls”
As far as I’m aware, recording this on the card is more than adequate. I believe some tacho machines default to “?” When inserting the card, and just hitting “ok” is no longer acceptable as a manual entry has to be done to record all activity. My transport manager is stating that recording on a card isn’t acceptable and printouts must be done for all rest days and holidays.
StuBlacken

Re: I have had a form come down from work that needs to be signed regarding recording of drivers hours. However I’m,

Post by StuBlacken »

I won’t be or what is the point in a digital tacho give me the frizbe back any day
procHaro

Re: I have had a form come down from work that needs to be signed regarding recording of drivers hours. However I’m,

Post by procHaro »

Friday card out, Monday card in, enter below:
Friday card out to actual finish time as other work
Finish to actual Monday start time as rest
Actual start to card in as other work
No ? is allowed, so once u get in the cab, lock the door and shut the window, so u won't get distracted by others while u mess around on tacho
FoxPhreek

Post by FoxPhreek »

On tacho card only, when you resume work. Manual entry to cover weekend off.
ashnius01

Post by ashnius01 »

Still only required to do a manual entry for the time away. Only need to write on the back on an analogue tachograph if using them.
CraigRed

Post by CraigRed »

Sound to me like ya transport manager is a bit mistaken
procHaro

Post by procHaro »

You have 3 options to record your hours, choose one:
Manual entry in digi tacho head
Back of chart
Back of print out
austProst

Post by austProst »

procHaro wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:18 am You have 3 options to record your hours, choose one:
Manual entry in digi tacho head
Back of chart
Back of print out
correct 👍
LongRpg

Post by LongRpg »

Yes we have had this introduced at our place a few month back. I don't do any other work so just do a manual entry on Monday as a break all weekend.
GerrBWith

Post by GerrBWith »

He’s talking 💩 I work in the transport office. If all rest periods regardless if it’s days off or holidays is downloaded onto your card that’s all you need. Only need printouts for certain infringements.
robedpan03

Post by robedpan03 »

GerrBWith wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:22 am He’s talking 💩 I work in the transport office. If all rest periods regardless if it’s days off or holidays is downloaded onto your card that’s all you need. Only need printouts for certain infringements.
that's how I understand it you only need do a print out if you f**k up print out write on the back what's gone wrong and why, if I'm out all week I put my card in Monday morning so it records evening I do driving, other work daily check 11 hours off etc no argument that way take it out Friday afternoon what I do on my days off has got nothing do with anyone else
GerrBWith

Post by GerrBWith »

robedpan03 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:25 am
GerrBWith wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:22 am He’s talking 💩 I work in the transport office. If all rest periods regardless if it’s days off or holidays is downloaded onto your card that’s all you need. Only need printouts for certain infringements.
that's how I understand it you only need do a print out if you f**k up print out write on the back what's gone wrong and why, if I'm out all week I put my card in Monday morning so it records evening I do driving, other work daily check 11 hours off etc no argument that way take it out Friday afternoon what I do on my days off has got nothing do with anyone else
you should show rest on your card for you days off though.
wilContent

Post by wilContent »

correction you sleep in the top office for 8 hours a night 😂
AlanPlus

Post by AlanPlus »

Your TM needs to go on a cpc....
DecGrand

Post by DecGrand »

There was a rule change (or rather a reinterpretation by DVSA) back in 2020 or 2021 that stated that you had to do a manual entry that covered no more than a 24 hour period, so you couldn't block book your weekend rest, or a week off etc.. it was revoked last year, but it was to be recorded on your driver card, not on the back of a printout..
If you get stopped, DVSA will just download your card to get the info...
tomsDarth

Post by tomsDarth »

DecGrand wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:28 am There was a rule change (or rather a reinterpretation by DVSA) back in 2020 or 2021 that stated that you had to do a manual entry that covered no more than a 24 hour period, so you couldn't block book your weekend rest, or a week off etc.. it was revoked last year, but it was to be recorded on your driver card, not on the back of a printout..
the regulations were updated in August 2020 that ALL activities must be recorded, and it came into force August 2022. I've not read or heard of anything that you mentioned about a 24 hour period.
If I missed anything from the changes then I'm fairly sure someone will correct me.
DecGrand

Post by DecGrand »

tomsDarth wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:29 am
DecGrand wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:28 am There was a rule change (or rather a reinterpretation by DVSA) back in 2020 or 2021 that stated that you had to do a manual entry that covered no more than a 24 hour period, so you couldn't block book your weekend rest, or a week off etc.. it was revoked last year, but it was to be recorded on your driver card, not on the back of a printout..
the regulations were updated in August 2020 that ALL activities must be recorded, and it came into force August 2022. I've not read or heard of anything that you mentioned about a 24 hour period.
If I missed anything from the changes then I'm fairly sure someone will correct me.
this was from a seminar for depot transport managers at my company, held by the RHA, the second point is what DVSA were saying meant you had to put a reference point in for every 24 hour period.. So if you finished work at 5 on a Friday, your manual entry for the weekend rest would have to be from 5 Friday till 5 Saturday, the from 5 Saturday till 5 Sunday, then from 5 Sunday till start of shift Monday...
It's served literally no purpose apart from causing drivers to infaring on their manual entry...
It was dropped after just a few months ( maybe 6 months) after they came in, and I believe it was part of the August 22 change..
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (82.1 KiB) Viewed 712 times
jonnBugs

Post by jonnBugs »

also don't forget to remind them that those tacho rolls are costing £5 each, when you hand in your two separate recordings of days not spent at work 👍
RobeCobe

Post by RobeCobe »

I have only done 2 shifts since Oct last year, so if your manager wants me to list all my rest etc how long do I get to do it
DecGrand

Post by DecGrand »

RobeCobe wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:33 am I have only done 2 shifts since Oct last year, so if your manager wants me to list all my rest etc how long do I get to do it
you'll need a full record for any work you've done for the last 28 days...
RobeCobe

Post by RobeCobe »

DecGrand wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:33 am
RobeCobe wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:33 am I have only done 2 shifts since Oct last year, so if your manager wants me to list all my rest etc how long do I get to do it
isn't worked
DecGrand

Post by DecGrand »

RobeCobe wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:34 am
DecGrand wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:33 am
isn't worked
so just do your manual entry as rest from when you last removed your card to when you start your next shift..
porrewinp22

Post by porrewinp22 »

I work agency, I can only work at weekends because I’m a career for my wife. My last shift was 18/12/21. I choose to only work at weekends as and when I want/need to. So how does that work then? I get in the truck put my taco in and it asks ‘Rest until now?’ Well, I haven’t worked because I don’t want too, not because I’m not available! Talk about confusing or what!
LindKino

Post by LindKino »

porrewinp22 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:37 am I work agency, I can only work at weekends because I’m a career for my wife. My last shift was 18/12/21. I choose to only work at weekends as and when I want/need to. So how does that work then? I get in the truck put my taco in and it asks ‘Rest until now?’ Well, I haven’t worked because I don’t want too, not because I’m not available! Talk about confusing or what!
if you have not worked since the end of your last shift (I'm talking of "work" in legal terms here) you should record "rest until now" by whichever method your particular model of tacho allows you to do this. No need for printouts.
porrewinp22

Post by porrewinp22 »

LindKino wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:38 am
porrewinp22 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:37 am I work agency, I can only work at weekends because I’m a career for my wife. My last shift was 18/12/21. I choose to only work at weekends as and when I want/need to. So how does that work then? I get in the truck put my taco in and it asks ‘Rest until now?’ Well, I haven’t worked because I don’t want too, not because I’m not available! Talk about confusing or what!
if you have not worked since the end of your last shift (I'm talking of "work" in legal terms here) you should record "rest until now" by whichever method your particular model of tacho allows you to do this. No need for printouts.
👍🏻
LindKino

Post by LindKino »

Provided you have made a correct manual entry onto your digi card and have not left any unaccounted for periods (the "?" symbol) there is no legal requirement to make a printout (I'd be happy to provide the legislation if required)
There is a possibility that your company has an internal policy that requires printouts, however if that is the case you should have been informed of this.
adyggeens33

Post by adyggeens33 »

LindKino wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:45 am Provided you have made a correct manual entry onto your digi card and have not left any unaccounted for periods (the "?" symbol) there is no legal requirement to make a printout (I'd be happy to provide the legislation if required)
There is a possibility that your company has an internal policy that requires printouts, however if that is the case you should have been informed of this.
nope, not company policy, I phoned transport compliance manager today and told him he had the legislation mistaken.
LindKino

Post by LindKino »

adyggeens33 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:45 am
LindKino wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:45 am Provided you have made a correct manual entry onto your digi card and have not left any unaccounted for periods (the "?" symbol) there is no legal requirement to make a printout (I'd be happy to provide the legislation if required)
nope, not company policy, I phoned transport compliance manager today and told him he had the legislation mistaken.
he most certainly has.
Refer him to EU 165/2014, article 34, para 3 (b)
CalluHallux

Post by CalluHallux »

Soon as you pull tacho out work stops I ain't recording when I eat my dam tea leave me alone 😂
alanGallon

Post by alanGallon »

Your transport manager is mistaken all you need to do is register on tacho manual entry and you are legal by that I don't mean u need to put on there wife made me do DIY u just need to make sure you put on rest b4 you take card out enter end country then when put bk in enter begin country sounds like your tm is being over cautious
IannJinn

Post by IannJinn »

Should be done as a manual entry
mickMage

Post by mickMage »

I think your transport manager needs to refresh his/her self on rule and regulations.
siddGree

Post by siddGree »

I was stopped by vosa the other week at Stafford and nothing was even mentioned as I don't do manual entries.
JennWarm

Post by JennWarm »

siddGree wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:52 am I was stopped by vosa the other week at Stafford and nothing was even mentioned as I don't do manual entries.
I never do manual entries because if its f"ked up on a Monday it messed up your whole week and nothing but infringements
nataRegatta

Post by nataRegatta »

I stick my card on break on a friday... pull it then stick it back in on Monday 👍 change to other work for 10 mins then f**k off 👍
QuicSoft

Post by QuicSoft »

Haha I know the company and i can tell you it was a mistake from the guy that sent it as it was meant to be headlined for occasional drivers..
seanNote

Post by seanNote »

I’m pretty sure your TM is talking 💩💩
JeffAlpha

Post by JeffAlpha »

Rest until now....YES..
Job done..
eadieNeddy

Post by eadieNeddy »

You may want to direct your TM to the Gov website or tactfully advise he refreshes his/her CPC.
HanYour

Post by HanYour »

Once I finish my last shift (4-4) I bang it on rest then remove my card, I record my finish time in my diary then go home. When I'm back in 4 days later I make note of my start time in my diary and inset card. Tacho asks -rest until now? I input yes... surely that's enough for TM, DVSA, copper or anyone else in my opinion.
flinBerlin

Post by flinBerlin »

HanYour wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:05 am Once I finish my last shift (4-4) I bang it on rest then remove my card, I record my finish time in my diary then go home. When I'm back in 4 days later I make note of my start time in my diary and inset card. Tacho asks -rest until now? I input yes... surely that's enough for TM, DVSA, copper or anyone else in my opinion.
no... you need to show some work after card removed at the end of shift, time to hand on keys etc.. Still other work. Same at the start of Yr shift.
HanYour

Post by HanYour »

flinBerlin wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:06 am
HanYour wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:05 am Once I finish my last shift (4-4) I bang it on rest then remove my card, I record my finish time in my diary then go home. When I'm back in 4 days later I make note of my start time in my diary and inset card. Tacho asks -rest until now? I input yes... surely that's enough for TM, DVSA, copper or anyone else in my opinion.
no... you need to show some work after card removed at the end of shift, time to hand on keys etc.. Still other work. Same at the start of Yr shift.
we have a card reader in the office too, it's the first/last thing you do. But from my card going into/out of the wagon and getting returning keys it's probably about 1 min.
Ianphally70

Post by Ianphally70 »

Tell your tm to go on a refresher course. I’ve just done one and bugger all about this was mentioned. Plus as an instructor I deal with the DVSA on a regular basis and they’ve not mentioned anything either.
dannEasy

Post by dannEasy »

He is wrong, record it on your card
ashnius01

Post by ashnius01 »

Tell him you can do 13½ hour's driving in 24 hour's or you can work upto 12 hours on a 15 minute break. Or that you can reduce your daily rest 6 times in a fixed week. that's bound to blow his mind.
HankChee

Post by HankChee »

Thats why you do manual e tries
markqasi55

Post by markqasi55 »

That’s bulksh*t! You’ve recorded rest on your digital tacho! What more do you need to do???
GarryFree

Post by GarryFree »

I've had the same, currently getting it clarified.
The problem is the software my company use, if I manual entry from say Friday at 5, and card back in Monday at 7, I've always told it break between those as one entry, because that's exactly what it is, one continuous break
Their software sees that as no entries for sat and sun.
They've said a way around that is to make separate entries for Friday till midnight, 0001 till midnight as break sat and 0001 till midnight Sunday, then break 0001 till 730 Monday when card goes in
That way it will show as an entry when they download it.
I'm sure it would show as a continuous break if dvsa downloaded it though so I'm not convinced those split entries like the above that are necessary
adyggeens33

Post by adyggeens33 »

GarryFree wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:19 am I've had the same, currently getting it clarified.
The problem is the software my company use, if I manual entry from say Friday at 5, and card back in Monday at 7, I've always told it break between those as one entry, because that's exactly what it is, one continuous break
They've said a way around that is to make separate entries for Friday till midnight, 0001 till midnight as break sat and 0001 till midnight Sunday, then break 0001 till 730 Monday when card goes in
I'm sure it would show as a continuous break if dvsa downloaded it though so I'm not convinced those split entries like the above that are necessary
nope, we actually got told a few months back regarding the same information that if we don’t do printouts, to leave our card in all weekend so it records properly. How are we going to produce evidence at a roadside check if the card is left in the truck? Not to mention of the truck gets moved for whatever reason where it will default to other work and then you’re screwed.
I’ve refused to sign something I’m not going to do.
adyggeens33

Post by adyggeens33 »

GarryFree wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:19 am I've had the same, currently getting it clarified.
I also got told their software doesn’t read manual entries for the weekend. Weather their system can pick it up or not DVSA obviously can, so I wouldn’t worry about that faff, it’s not needed
ChBrilliant

Post by ChBrilliant »

adyggeens33 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:20 am
I also got told their software doesn’t read manual entries for the weekend. Weather their system can pick it up or not DVSA obviously can, so I wouldn’t worry about that faff, it’s not needed
What's their software?
DaveRpacc

Post by DaveRpacc »

As long as rest until start of working week is recorded as rest, when tacho goes in whatever day you start zero?, hours will show on taco 🌮 tell them to go give their head a shake!!
owenFoehn

Post by owenFoehn »

No idea how to do the job but his book says it so 🤷🏻‍♂️ what a crock of sh*te
adyggeens33

Post by adyggeens33 »

Cheers everyone, phoned compliance transport manager today who told me that manual entries for rest days and holidays had to be printed out and kept on my person for 28 days as per legislation. I told him he had the legislation mistaken and I wouldn’t be signing the form.
edfmantion67

Post by edfmantion67 »

Could be just a company thing you may have had driver working else wear when on holiday
WoodRazu

Post by WoodRazu »

Tell him you'll need 20 rolls a wk. Will soon want to save money
andyMingro

Post by andyMingro »

mate, do double printouts every day. one for the driver, one for the company. then in a few months, ask for a specific day as u don't have access to it. if he is taking the piss, do the same
pauuPage

Post by pauuPage »

My take on this and it maybe wrong as it is 2 years since i worked in office.
Its not the pulling of the card at 5 Friday and then putting back in at 7 Monday (times may vary) its the lack of working time. I.E time walking back to office to hand in keys and paperwork in and time collecting keys and paperwork from office on Monday. yes card out I'm done in your eyes but legally it looks very dodgy if you pull card at 14hrs 59mins on a Friday
JamiGamey

Post by JamiGamey »

Our company has said this aswell, naming no names it's green with a sun 🤣 I do manual entry's daily anyways but yeah someone's misinformed in our place too 🤣🤣
angmers41

Post by angmers41 »

Transport manager 😂😂😂 I used to work for a company where the 'transport manager' sacked a guy for working 5h14m with a 15m break - working....not driving, 2h56m driving he didn't understand tacho rules, thought you needed 45m for every 6h of work
BlackPong

Post by BlackPong »

Also when you have a sh*te between Friday and Monday, if it takes longer than 7 minutes or you're constipated then you must record that too as its deemed as work
rogerAuger

Post by rogerAuger »

Good luck with that my tacho rolls are blank on the back.
Paulettena

Post by Paulettena »

rogerAuger wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:35 am Good luck with that my tacho rolls are blank on the back.
not where I work?
rogerAuger

Post by rogerAuger »

Paulettena wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:39 am
rogerAuger wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:35 am Good luck with that my tacho rolls are blank on the back.
not where I work?
yep, might ba a rouge roll though
gregSeen

Post by gregSeen »

Another prick in an office that hasn’t driven a truck but knows your job better than you!
StyxStepp

Post by StyxStepp »

Do u do a manual entry ie I finish work 1600 and on rest till I start work Monday
gaviTeenz

Post by gaviTeenz »

Think your TM talking crap. I was pulled on Monday DVSA said card was 100% correct. All I do is take card out end of week and then when back at work put in manual entry for rest period whether weekends or holidays. So if good enough for DVSA then that’s all that counts 😊
procHaro

Post by procHaro »

I think what your TM thinks is for casual drivers, I heard some podcasts about that, as it has more points of failure leading to infringements for a warehouse guy just do 1 driving every 2 weeks, then best for him is to write on the back on printout. As he needs to enter all his working, break, rest time. Then keep it for 28 days, while TM does his own thing on his tacho in PC for record.
Thing is card can only be downloaded, not uploaded. It would be great if TM can do all the editing in PC, then upload to card.
StewFizz

Post by StewFizz »

I was informed of the same thing. So I just got belligerent and wrote everything. I mean everything!!! 🤣 For a months off work. I think they decided that as long as I could prove I hadn't driven all weekend/ month they were happy. It's to stop drivers who drive and have other jobs. I.e security all Friday and Saturday go racing cars Sunday have driven to end of world and back .then MONDAY come back shattered for a rest 😉😉 the powers that be are more aware of what sports we do at weekends many involving long tiring days. It's evidence that could save you or crucify you.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”