Can anyone help please I had a start driving for tarmac yesterday And a company that contracts to them told them not

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
VarllMars

Can anyone help please I had a start driving for tarmac yesterday And a company that contracts to them told them not

Post by VarllMars »

Can anyone help please I had a start driving for tarmac yesterday. And a company that contracts to them told them not to take me on as I worked for them. Apparently they dint like their old drivers going to work for tarmac. Bit of a jealousy thing going on. Could I take this further as they have really stopped me from working. So now no job no money
willBlogger

Re: Can anyone help please I had a start driving for tarmac yesterday And a company that contracts to them told them not

Post by willBlogger »

Civil loss so take a civil case in the county court for the date of start and if you have solid info on the
“ intervention” by your former employer you will need that source to act as a witness in statement form.
If your having to claim benefits, certainly give the DWP the info and ask them to intervene.
All the best mate!
KathLike

Re: Can anyone help please I had a start driving for tarmac yesterday And a company that contracts to them told them not

Post by KathLike »

Call Acas for initial advice.
I think, unless it's in a contract between tarmac and ex company that prevents it, then the ex company cannot dictate to tarmac or you
tagPlacard

Post by tagPlacard »

Works both ways mate, I’m now in the job I am due to working for a company that subied to where I am now and they liked me so took me on, always a risk when you hop from employers to your old employers contractors, all it takes is one spiteful manager who is probably clicky with their manager etc., it’s out of order he’s but good luck proving it and getting anywhere, I know it’s shite but they’re no under obligation to take you on so probably can’t take it further no, take it on the chin and move on, plenty of work out there
HaaijEyes

Post by HaaijEyes »

tagPlacard wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:17 pm Works both ways mate, I’m now in the job I am due to working for a company that subied to where I am now and they liked me so took me on, always a risk when you hop from employers to your old employers contractors, all it takes is one spiteful manager who is probably clicky with their manager etc., it’s out of order he’s but good luck proving it and getting anywhere, I know it’s shite but they’re no under obligation to take you on so probably can’t take it further no, take it on the chin and move on, plenty of work out there
solid advice 👍
jonnBugs

Post by jonnBugs »

Welcome to the real world. Some days you’re King Charles. Some days a King Edwards 🥔!
I’d take it on the chin and move on. They aren’t doing anything illegal imo so not much you can reasonably do…
tongerro18

Post by tongerro18 »

jonnBugs wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:20 pm Welcome to the real world. Some days you’re King Charles. Some days a King Edwards 🥔!
I’d take it on the chin and move on. They aren’t doing anything illegal imo so not much you can reasonably do…
it is illegal
CalluHallux

Post by CalluHallux »

jonnBugs wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:20 pm Welcome to the real world. Some days you’re King Charles. Some days a King Edwards 🥔!
do they own him?
jonnBugs

Post by jonnBugs »

CalluHallux wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:26 pm
do they own him?
Can’t say ref ownership but what’s the law that’s been broken here that would stand up in court?
VarllMars

Post by VarllMars »

jonnBugs wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:26 pm
do they own him?
Can’t say ref ownership but what’s the law that’s been broken here that would stand up in court?
no 1 owns me I'm my own person no 1 has the right to say where I can or can't work
jonnBugs

Post by jonnBugs »

VarllMars wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:27 pm
jonnBugs wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:26 pm

do they own him?
no 1 owns me I'm my own person no 1 has the right to say where I can or can't work
so that’s the ownership piece sorted mate!
So far as this predicament- sh*t industry at times - you can take the advice given above around ACAS etc but to be brutally honest on that day they had no work for you. The next time you go in they will have no work for you. And that’s what the haulier will say and that’s what the agency will say in court.
Obviously it will never get to court or anywhere near.
Handle it how you are fit Bud but my steer still stands. F**k em and move on….. ✌🏽
siddGree

Post by siddGree »

Are you in a union? If so contact them they will advise on what & how you could react but to me that's deformation of character
willBlogger

Post by willBlogger »

siddGree wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:29 pm Are you in a union? If so contact them they will advise on what & how you could react but to me that's deformation of character
“ Defamation!”
If anyone is defamed and it can be proven with witness evidence- the financial implications are very significant for the loser!
JennWarm

Post by JennWarm »

It's not a lot of good to ask for advice on here. This was the sort of things unions sorted out for you. Go to DPW this morning to sign on and ask there advice. Our wonderful government have changed and are still trying to change so many employment rules employee's will soon have no employment rights at all.
CoulRazo

Post by CoulRazo »

Sadly. This has been the case for years.
Back in the late 90s. I went for a job for Lenham Storage.
Everything was fine till I mentioned I'd worked for Lenhams on agency.
Because it was within a previous amount of time. Lenham s couldn't take me on.
I think it was something to do with poaching employees?
greenthMo

Post by greenthMo »

CoulRazo wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:32 pm Sadly. This has been the case for years.
agencies generally write a clause in their contracts with both client and employee regarding moving from agency to company that has a run out date, inside the time they can claim an introduction fee, which isn't cheap.
That's why there are a lot of temp to perm jobs, an introduction fee is paid on a successful applicant being taken on at a lesser cost
nataRegatta

Post by nataRegatta »

greenthMo wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:34 pm
CoulRazo wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:32 pm Sadly. This has been the case for years.
agencies generally write a clause in their contracts with both client and employee regarding moving from agency to company that has a run out date, inside the time they can claim an introduction fee, which isn't cheap.
That's why there are a lot of temp to perm jobs, an introduction fee is paid on a successful applicant being taken on at a lesser cost
I got employed by the company I worked for on an agency. The company had to keep me on with the agency for 3 months before I was " Tuped" over. BTW I was a full time agy driver at the time on a guaranteed 50hrs pw. It may be different for a zero hr casual agy driver IDK.
VarllMars

Post by VarllMars »

I had been left the ex firm for 4 months it's more like having a tantrum and jealousy thing sad cos it shows what kind of narcissist they really are to be honest. Just come on for a bit of advice
HankChee

Post by HankChee »

VarllMars wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:36 pm
I had been left the ex firm for 4 months it's more like having a tantrum and jealousy thing sad cos it shows what kind of narcissist they really are to be honest. Just come on for a bit of advice
well it’s 6 months if you jump between aldi sub contractors so possibly the same
VarllMars

Post by VarllMars »

markqasi55 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:37 pm Who was the former employer?
inbox you
DaveRpacc

Post by DaveRpacc »

Who did you work for before, was you sacked or left
VarllMars

Post by VarllMars »

DaveRpacc wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:38 pm Who did you work for before, was you sacked or left
I left of my own back.
pauuPage

Post by pauuPage »

Does that not come under defamation of character
JamiGamey

Post by JamiGamey »

pauuPage wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:41 pm Does that not come under defamation of character
it’s Restriction of Trade. Go see the Citizens Advice Bureau
angmers41

Post by angmers41 »

Thought I recognised you. I got sacked from Tarmac in January and they called your former employer and told them not to take me on along with a few other companies that do similar work so Tarmac aren't perfect either. Watch yourself in that place is all I'll say on here. You'll need someone at Tarmac to prove your former employer has done this as well, but they won't go against each other. Good luck mate
KnowChone

Post by KnowChone »

It is against the law for a firm to give a bad character reference, see a solicitor and screw the f**kers.
versGiga

Post by versGiga »

KnowChone wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:43 pm It is against the law for a firm to give a bad character reference, see a solicitor and screw the f**kers.
no but they can refuse to give a reference, a lot of companies won't give references at all even if you were the perfect employee
StewFizz

Post by StewFizz »

Forget it move on with Your life & look for another job because f**k all will happen about this.
versGiga

Post by versGiga »

Looking at your post it seems to me that there is a possible agreement between your former employer and tarmac which states they can't take subbies/former agency staff on or something like that an anti poaching thing
bethusis23

Post by bethusis23 »

Most agency's charge a percentage of your salary if you work for a client within 6 months.
harriss006

Post by harriss006 »

Name and shame the company. Bad on Tarmac for doing following through with that stupid request.
OlivGlace

Post by OlivGlace »

Contact acas or citizens advice if not in a union. It is illegal for a company to give a bad reference. They can refuse to give a reference if asked if they wish for whatever reason- but they cannot give a bad reference as I understand it
ashnidemo10

Post by ashnidemo10 »

Agency's charge employers if they take on the staff they have provided if its within a certain amount of time, maybe this is the same case.
RaivLex

Post by RaivLex »

ashnidemo10 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:50 pm Agency's charge employers if they take on the staff they have provided if its within a certain amount of time, maybe this is the same case.
but what right do they have? Are these agencies or slave masters?
ashnidemo10

Post by ashnidemo10 »

RaivLex wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:50 pm
ashnidemo10 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:50 pm Agency's charge employers if they take on the staff they have provided if its within a certain amount of time, maybe this is the same case.
but what right do they have? Are these agencies or slave masters?
💯 agree. The only reason I know is because I was bought from the agency in a previous job (nothing to do with me being a good worker they were just desperate 🤣😂
lairosco83

Post by lairosco83 »

Short answer is no, there is nothing you can do really! You need to be employed by a company for 2+ years before you have the right to tribunal. Unfortunately this type of thing happens industry wide. Sorry mate
RonnMoto

Post by RonnMoto »

I'm sorry to hear this Paul but yes I believe the 2 companies involved do have an anti poaching policy. You normally need to give it at least 6months from end of employment before applying to new firm unfortunately. It's probably also written into your previous contract
jackbizn97

Post by jackbizn97 »

Take legal advice on this matter. You will need proof of their involvement
WardFour

Post by WardFour »

Call citizens advise and they will definitely help you
WardFour

Post by WardFour »

If thats hiw they are going to be you are better
Off elsewhere
daleBrainy

Post by daleBrainy »

Dude 🤔 I’ll sit on your old boss while you poke there eyes out. F**king sh*tc**ts
VarllMars

Post by VarllMars »

daleBrainy wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:53 pm Dude 🤔 I’ll sit on your old boss while you poke there eyes out. F**king sh*tc**ts
my thoughts too bud
kingRawz

Post by kingRawz »

I'd ask Tarmac to go more deeply into the reasons as you deserve one.
Used to be work for a firm that done subby work for Tarmac in the Midlands (Proctors), was always drivers leaving them and going to work for Lomas with no qualms.
Don't think it's a bad reference thing just a paddy by who you used to work for but ask for reasons why... Not just because you used to work for so and so.
AifamExam

Post by AifamExam »

Should not have told them where you was going but if you worked for a company that works for Tarmac they wont be happy that you are jumping ship . The company i work for are looking for sweeper class1 pr 2 drivers in new lorries in the tarmacmccing industry
VarllMars

Post by VarllMars »

AifamExam wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:55 pm Should not have told them where you was going but if you worked for a company that works for Tarmac they wont be happy that you are jumping ship . The company i work for are looking for sweeper class1 pr 2 drivers in new lorries in the tarmacmccing industry
I'd left for aboutv4 months I didn't leave to work for tarmac
AifamExam

Post by AifamExam »

VarllMars wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:56 pm
AifamExam wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:55 pm Should not have told them where you was going but if you worked for a company that works for Tarmac they wont be happy that you are jumping ship . The company i work for are looking for sweeper class1 pr 2 drivers in new lorries in the tarmacmccing industry
I'd left for aboutv4 months I didn't leave to work for tarmac
Someone had a grudge mate
keitPoshy

Post by keitPoshy »

Yes it’s classed as discrimination and totally illegal

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”