I drive an actros with mirror cameras. Yesterday one camera stopped working so I could not see down my nearside. Is

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
newHonda

Re: I drive an actros with mirror cameras. Yesterday one camera stopped working so I could not see down my nearside. Is

Post by newHonda »

They would drive me mad lol 😆🤣😂 the screen camera is crap at night should never been invented horiball things
RonnMoto

Re: I drive an actros with mirror cameras. Yesterday one camera stopped working so I could not see down my nearside. Is

Post by RonnMoto »

Merc assist are supposed to carry emergency mirrors but they don't. When I drove one within a week of each other both monitors packed up and had to be recovered back to Merc both times needed new wiring loom to the monitors. Another time stopped for a 15 minute break and the electronic handbrake would not release again recovered to Merc
porrewinp22

Post by porrewinp22 »

We have them on our mercedes at work. They are good when they work. But we have 3 trucks VOR at the moment as Mercedes have both the camera and the screens on back order for over 3 months. Why install tech in vehicles when you cannot supply parts is beyond me.
Joellant22

Post by Joellant22 »

porrewinp22 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:20 am We have them on our mercedes at work. They are good when they work. But we have 3 trucks VOR at the moment as Mercedes have both the camera and the screens on back order for over 3 months. Why install tech in vehicles when you cannot supply parts is beyond me.
my unit at work is mirror cam and has a normal mirror fitted on the N/S as mirror cam has broken and our fleetcare are saying the cam is on back order, so they fitted a normal mirror so unit can be used.
porrewinp22

Post by porrewinp22 »

Joellant22 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:25 am
porrewinp22 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:20 am We have them on our mercedes at work. They are good when they work. But we have 3 trucks VOR at the moment as Mercedes have both the camera and the screens on back order for over 3 months. Why install tech in vehicles when you cannot supply parts is beyond me.
my unit at work is mirror cam and has a normal mirror fitted on the N/S as mirror cam has broken and our fleetcare are saying the cam is on back order, so they fitted a normal mirror so unit can be used.
from what I heard you have to pay £500 deposit for the clip on ones. Still they should have spares in stock
richieFizz

Post by richieFizz »

What would you do if you were in lane 2 though. Even with hazards on I'm pretty sure some daft twit would come up your inside??
jackbizn97

Post by jackbizn97 »

What is behind you does not matter one should always look forward....
BillPrime

Post by BillPrime »

jackbizn97 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:29 am What is behind you does not matter one should always look forward....
So on your theory, trucks don’t need mirrors then? Please hand your licence in at the earliest possible convenience.
WardFour

Post by WardFour »

BillPrime wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:30 am
jackbizn97 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:29 am What is behind you does not matter one should always look forward....
So on your theory, trucks don’t need mirrors then? Please hand your licence in at the earliest possible convenience.
Oh dear, that’s embarrassing for you.
daleBrainy

Post by daleBrainy »

you are a shocker 😂😂
WhyWire

Post by WhyWire »

No mirror u don't drive it. If u come across and kill someone it's you going to jail. Get recovery or someone out to fix it.
WhyWire

Post by WhyWire »

The irony tho of a camera mirror not working and then strapping a old proper mirror to fix 🤣
Joellant22

Post by Joellant22 »

WhyWire wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:34 am The irony tho of a camera mirror not working and then strapping a old proper mirror to fix 🤣
exactly what they've done with.my unit at work as the mirror cam is on back order 🤣
RobcpasTr

Post by RobcpasTr »

Really? have you not got an old box brownie you could strap to the door
kingRawz

Post by kingRawz »

Get a second phone, use some duct tape to stick the phone outside somewhere, turn wifi hotspot on and make a video call to the second phone. 😂 I did like that one time on a yard where i need to reverse on blindside in a dark spot. 😁😁
AifamExam

Post by AifamExam »

The old school truckers wouldn't VOR that. They carry spare makeup mirror and a few laccy bands to keep them moving. Use hand signals out the side window so others know what you're doing 🤔
cbrminu33

Post by cbrminu33 »

AifamExam wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:37 am The old school truckers wouldn't VOR that. They carry spare makeup mirror and a few laccy bands to keep them moving. Use hand signals out the side window so others know what you're doing 🤔
not even legal to do that anymore, has to be a class 6/4 rated mirror now or VOR.. so over regulated its baffling.
AifamExam

Post by AifamExam »

cbrminu33 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:40 am
AifamExam wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:37 am The old school truckers wouldn't VOR that. They carry spare makeup mirror and a few laccy bands to keep them moving. Use hand signals out the side window so others know what you're doing 🤔
not even legal to do that anymore, has to be a class 6/4 rated mirror now or VOR.. so over regulated its baffling.
that's tye thing. Some drivers think they are above the law. Can't teach em anything lol 🤷
keitPoshy

Post by keitPoshy »

AifamExam wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:41 am
cbrminu33 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:40 am
that's tye thing. Some drivers think they are above the law. Can't teach em anything lol 🤷
add an old time driver, if you didn’t carry on or fix it, you didn’t have a job
CartLime

Post by CartLime »

I've had one of the cameras go down before, luckily I was still in the yard.
We tried robbing the camera out of another vor unit to get me going but the replacement part has to be paired with the ecu with the merc diagnostic computer.....
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (124.84 KiB) Viewed 482 times
mariChary

Post by mariChary »

CartLime wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:43 am I've had one of the cameras go down before, luckily I was still in the yard.
We tried robbing the camera out of another vor unit to get me going but the replacement part has to be paired with the ecu with the merc diagnostic computer.....
looks like you've driven through a sh*t storm!
CartLime

Post by CartLime »

mariChary wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:44 am
CartLime wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:43 am I've had one of the cameras go down before, luckily I was still in the yard.
looks like you've driven through a sh*t storm!
what, like slough?
Najandago

Post by Najandago »

They should adopt what daf did and fit both types 😂😂😂 that way you’ll always have a back up plan
RichKrool

Post by RichKrool »

Nightmare!
Simple case of over engineering gone wrong 😑
darHeadd

Post by darHeadd »

I've heard they are expensive to fit and companies have been attaching "proper" mirrors to the door because of the cost.
AndideeRy

Post by AndideeRy »

We have had them 3 years now and I've never had any failures. I'm still not a fan but am so used to them now even with all their clarity of vision issues!
MorriSoft

Post by MorriSoft »

I bought two to suction interior mirrors just in case of an emergency which I stuck to the nearside window which got me out of trouble twice
laychania8

Post by laychania8 »

Technology 😂 get them big ears back. 👍🏻
ziomChan

Post by ziomChan »

Like everything else involving electrics,, it’s crap today
DarenSky

Post by DarenSky »

Ivan & you come all the way from Poland to Ireland without a mirror jus holding your phone out the window every tome ya needed ya change lane🤣🤣🤣 all because Harry wouldn’t let you get a call out the miserable wee hooor 🙈
VarllMars

Post by VarllMars »

DarenSky wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:00 am Ivan & you come all the way from Poland to Ireland without a mirror jus holding your phone out the window every tome ya needed ya change lane🤣🤣🤣 all because Harry wouldn’t let you get a call out the miserable wee hooor 🙈
ask him why he had no mirror??????????
willBlogger

Post by willBlogger »

VarllMars wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:01 am
DarenSky wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:00 am Ivan & you come all the way from Poland to Ireland without a mirror jus holding your phone out the window every tome ya needed ya change lane🤣🤣🤣 all because Harry wouldn’t let you get a call out the miserable wee hooor 🙈
would you believe I fell out with a bean in Poland.
DarenSky

Post by DarenSky »

willBlogger wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:01 am
i would believe that! I hear you even fall out with yourself 🤣🤣🤣
VarllMars

Post by VarllMars »

DarenSky wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:02 am
willBlogger wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:01 am

i would believe that! I hear you even fall out with yourself 🤣🤣🤣
I would. Them c**ts seem to be everywhere
KathLike

Post by KathLike »

It's a VOR till repaired. If your transport manager sends you onwards look for another job he's no transport manager
thomGrim

Post by thomGrim »

sometimes i just can't read this crap anymore my industry road haulage has been desecrated I've been in it now for over 40yrs. what a shame. every second post on here is some eastern European who doesn't know his arse from his elbow. i know there's a few good lads left who share my views and the RHA has done nothing for British drivers their answer is hand out more visa's and get all the flipflops in
tagPlacard

Post by tagPlacard »

Nope when ours break down the mechanic comes out and bolts a plain old fashioned mirror with glass on the side of the unit
PaulFree

Post by PaulFree »

Here's a great idea. If you got a shiny piece of glass and put a reflective coating on the back so you could see your reflection on it. Then mount it in a frame on an arm you could bolt it your truck door. It would even work if the power failed.
tongerro18

Post by tongerro18 »

Place near me has retro fitted them all with "proper " mirrors
Says it all !!
whittPaper

Post by whittPaper »

u can’t beat an 8foot pole with a mirror stuck on the end, 1 end wedged in the drivers grab handle the mirror end stuck out the passenger window works every time, get some funny looks off the other drivers when your overtaking them tho.
McGseed

Post by McGseed »

whittPaper wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:13 am u can’t beat an 8foot pole with a mirror stuck on the end, 1 end wedged in the drivers grab handle the mirror end stuck out the passenger window works every time, get some funny looks off the other drivers when your overtaking them tho.
not as good as the blue rope accelerator cable
whittPaper

Post by whittPaper »

McGseed wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:15 am
whittPaper wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:13 am u can’t beat an 8foot pole with a mirror stuck on the end, 1 end wedged in the drivers grab handle the mirror end stuck out the passenger window works every time, get some funny looks off the other drivers when your overtaking them tho.
some of these driver won’t believe us 🤠 🤠
McGseed

Post by McGseed »

whittPaper wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:16 am
McGseed wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:15 am
some of these driver won’t believe us 🤠 🤠
not many would haha

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”