Anybody run with these regularly, one of our drivers got pulled with just internals on "apparently" and was told

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
AberLabor

Anybody run with these regularly, one of our drivers got pulled with just internals on "apparently" and was told

Post by AberLabor »

Anybody run with these regularly, one of our drivers got pulled with just internals on "apparently" and was told have to be ratchet straps, made him do them on the road!! They are a complete pain but not so bad if you can be on the back while loading.
Anyway this place today, not allowed out the cab driver while loading, health and safety!!
How am I to strap these then Mr forkie??
Oh all the other drivers just use internals.
Over an hour to get them straps on!
Anybody been stopped with them and what did the gentlemen say??
Just wondering if I am being fed rubbish as I see all the others going in to the place we tip with just internals.
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (384.48 KiB) Viewed 954 times
StuBlacken

Re: Anybody run with these regularly, one of our drivers got pulled with just internals on "apparently" and was told

Post by StuBlacken »

Double stacked....they would want them ratcheting mate
ashnidemo10

Re: Anybody run with these regularly, one of our drivers got pulled with just internals on "apparently" and was told

Post by ashnidemo10 »

I'll be corrected quickly if I'm wrong, but I think you're allowed 400kg on internals.
procHaro

Post by procHaro »

ashnidemo10 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:00 pm I'll be corrected quickly if I'm wrong, but I think you're allowed 400kg on internals.
not if double stacked.
RaivLex

Post by RaivLex »

ashnidemo10 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:00 pm I'll be corrected quickly if I'm wrong, but I think you're allowed 400kg on internals.
you are correct, 400kg per internal strap. Double up if you have enough straps
FoxPhreek

Post by FoxPhreek »

RaivLex wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:00 pm
you are correct, 400kg per internal strap. Double up if you have enough straps
no point doubling up on internals “if you have enough “, they’re double stacked so would still be classed as an insecure load. Ratchet strapped to the bed, or internal oversheet at a minimum.
lairosco83

Post by lairosco83 »

Yea double stacking needs strapping
ashnius01

Post by ashnius01 »

If that is the case they need strapping if there that close to the roof just throw some straps up and over the roof fuck sitting there all day trying to thread a needle mate
RonnMoto

Post by RonnMoto »

Deffo should be strapped. The next good one is to ask for a ladder to strap up. Should supply one if they are loading that high.👌
LongRpg

Post by LongRpg »

RonnMoto wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:02 pm Deffo should be strapped. The next good one is to ask for a ladder to strap up. Should supply one if they are loading that high.👌
and then you're into "working at heights" territory!
jackbizn97

Post by jackbizn97 »

RonnMoto wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:02 pm Deffo should be strapped. The next good one is to ask for a ladder to strap up. Should supply one if they are loading that high.👌
airport steps. Ladders are pretty much outlawed.
RonnMoto

Post by RonnMoto »

jackbizn97 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:03 pm
so what is the solution?? Let me guess, risk it and if you get caught it comes straight back to the driver.🤯
jackbizn97

Post by jackbizn97 »

RonnMoto wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:04 pm
jackbizn97 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:03 pm
so what is the solution?? Let me guess, risk it and if you get caught it comes straight back to the driver.🤯
get accurate or use airport steps 😳
wilContent

Post by wilContent »

Whenever I’ve seen these before they’ve been on the back of a flatbed and strapped for obvious reasons, would have thought it would be the same even in a curtain??
WardFour

Post by WardFour »

Takes as long as it takes no problem two straps over each one then a cup of tea
DecGrand

Post by DecGrand »

You need to be a better shot with your strap throwing 😃
daleBrainy

Post by daleBrainy »

DecGrand wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:06 pm You need to be a better shot with your strap throwing 😃
my thoughts aswell as it wouldn’t take 15 mins max to strap them in
tomsDarth

Post by tomsDarth »

Load not secure with internals use ratchet straps and stop whining vosa will have you with just internals on
RobcpasTr

Post by RobcpasTr »

Single or double ratchet and straps cause of weight over 400kg
RobeCobe

Post by RobeCobe »

Ask trucker Tim he does these regular and stacked waste and don’t put strap on any😂
kingRawz

Post by kingRawz »

Think you will find loader has duty of care aswell as driver tell him you both get nicked or frighten them with corporate manslaughter bit drastic
porrewinp22

Post by porrewinp22 »

All lids no matter what should be strapped !i.e. ratcheted. That way the VOSA can’t argue about anything. It Is always best to be safe than sorry. The modern day VOSA are a bit more stricter 🤨🤨🤔🤔🧐🧐 than the chaps from my early days back in the 70’s. Always be one step ahead guys. 👍👍😀😀🚚🚚
AifamExam

Post by AifamExam »

porrewinp22 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:09 pm All lids no matter what should be strapped !i.e. ratcheted. That way the VOSA can’t argue about anything. It Is always best to be safe than sorry. The modern day VOSA are a bit more stricter 🤨🤨🤔🤔🧐🧐 than the chaps from my early days back in the 70’s. Always be one step ahead guys. 👍👍😀😀🚚🚚
modern day vosa have got 2 years worth of money to catch up on.
porrewinp22

Post by porrewinp22 »

AifamExam wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:10 pm
porrewinp22 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:09 pm All lids no matter what should be strapped !i.e. ratcheted. That way the VOSA can’t argue about anything. It Is always best to be safe than sorry. The modern day VOSA are a bit more stricter 🤨🤨🤔🤔🧐🧐 than the chaps from my early days back in the 70’s. Always be one step ahead guys. 👍👍😀😀🚚🚚
modern day vosa have got 2 years worth of money to catch up on.
Oh Yes. If there’s always a penny or to pinch they’ll be in there pal. Drivers are an easy target. Always keep yourself on the right side of the law at all times guys. 👍👍😀😀🇬🇧🇬🇧🚚🚚
LindKino

Post by LindKino »

Do they load them from one side and push them across?? If they do hook strap on far side, and the chuck it on the nearest side roof, as they push em across the straps will drop over the bins! Job done...
AberLabor

Post by AberLabor »

LindKino wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:11 pm Do they load them from one side and push them across?? If they do hook strap on far side, and the chuck it on the nearest side roof, as they push em across the straps will drop over the bins! Job done...
not allowed out the cab till loaded!!! Other places let me up on the bed and I strap as they load - easy, not this place!!!
LindKino

Post by LindKino »

AberLabor wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:11 pm
LindKino wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:11 pm Do they load them from one side and push them across?? If they do hook strap on far side, and the chuck it on the nearest side roof, as they push em across the straps will drop over the bins! Job done...
not allowed out the cab till loaded!!! Other places let me up on the bed and I strap as they load - easy, not this place!!!
you dont have to be out of the cab, set it up when you pull the curtains back!
keitPoshy

Post by keitPoshy »

What the f**k is this industry tuning into.... Can see where the authorities are coming from, but back in the day you'd cross strap the back & that would be it... internal straps & XL curtains are enough to take any movement out of a load like that... Same ball game, different rules these day's..
alanGallon

Post by alanGallon »

keitPoshy wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:13 pm What the f**k is this industry tuning into.... Can see where the authorities are coming from, but back in the day you'd cross strap the back & that would be it... internal straps & XL curtains are enough to take any movement out of a load like that... Same ball game, different rules these day's..
it’s bollox now. My first driving days started on a 7.5 flat cargo carrying 4 tonne payload off 4x1 tonne pallets of dog food. Roped on and no straps and never an issue. Then a 1717 merc curtain side , carrying the same but 10 pallets at tonne each. All 25kg bags 40 on a pallet internal straps only and never a issue.
CartLime

Post by CartLime »

Did you have a 45 in that hour? we get these strapped in under 10mins no sweat 😅 well maybe abit of sweat 😂
Attachments
Photo.jpg
Photo.jpg (127.18 KiB) Viewed 911 times
IannJinn

Post by IannJinn »

CartLime wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:14 pm Did you have a 45 in that hour? we get these strapped in under 10mins no sweat 😅 well maybe abit of sweat 😂
that’s all well and good but the problem is getting the strap between the roof and the load. You don’t have to worry about a roof
CartLime

Post by CartLime »

IannJinn wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:15 pm
CartLime wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:14 pm Did you have a 45 in that hour? we get these strapped in under 10mins no sweat 😅 well maybe abit of sweat 😂
that’s all well and good but the problem is getting the strap between the roof and the load. You don’t have to worry about a roof
not when it’s blowing Gale in an open field you’ve got to just miss the top. I’ve done curtains as well mate, plenty of space there on this load trick is not trying too hard. Harder you try more you miss 🤣
mariChary

Post by mariChary »

CartLime wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:15 pm
IannJinn wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:15 pm
not when it’s blowing Gale in an open field you’ve got to just miss the top. I’ve done curtains as well mate, plenty of space there on this load trick is not trying too hard. Harder you try more you miss 🤣
no the trick is if you miss with one strap drop it on the floor and grab another strap. The problem is with the strap not the operator 😅
Najandago

Post by Najandago »

mickMage wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:17 pm Invest in one of these…make your life easier 🤘🏼
https://www.cargo-stop.com/propole-extra-long-6-12.html
Surly that would be down to the company to supply it RCL used to supply ours
mickMage

Post by mickMage »

Najandago wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:17 pm
mickMage wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:17 pm Invest in one of these…make your life easier 🤘🏼
Surly that would be down to the company to supply it RCL used to supply ours
he could ask his gaffer to buy one but if he gets no joy there then why not buy your own? Or you could just struggle choice is his 🤔
QuicSoft

Post by QuicSoft »

i dont really know how this would help ive used them before for putting in edges under straps but problem is getting straps across the top mate is there a way i dont know about thanks
mickMage

Post by mickMage »

QuicSoft wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:18 pm
i dont really know how this would help ive used them before for putting in edges under straps but problem is getting straps across the top mate is there a way i dont know about thanks
this is handy but a bit pricey 🫤
https://www.cargo-stop.com/prolauncher- ... tting.html
mickMage

Post by mickMage »

and if it’s really tight and you do it a lot there’s this, and no I’m not a bloody salesman I just believe in the adage “Work smart, not hard” 😂
https://www.cargo-stop.com/ratstrap-pro-6.html
QuicSoft

Post by QuicSoft »

mickMage wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:19 pm
and if it’s really tight and you do it a lot there’s this, and no I’m not a bloody salesman I just believe in the adage “Work smart, not hard” 😂
https://www.cargo-stop.com/ratstrap-pro-6.html
That last one is a bit dear but would really help you mate thanks
darHeadd

Post by darHeadd »

they should supply you with a ladder platform or safety gantry if they won't let you stand on back while loading so see what they say to that next time or you don't load them simple or get there health and safety person out of office and tell them
seanNote

Post by seanNote »

At the end of the day it’s your load so you need to strap it properly and to be honest you should know the answer whether they need strapping or not , the buck stops with you mate nobody else
AndideeRy

Post by AndideeRy »

seanNote wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:21 pm At the end of the day it’s your load so you need to strap it properly and to be honest you should know the answer whether they need strapping or not , the buck stops with you mate nobody else
would agree with your comments, i would always use ratchet straps on that load.
JeffAlpha

Post by JeffAlpha »

seanNote wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:21 pm At the end of the day it’s your load so you need to strap it properly and to be honest you should know the answer whether they need strapping or not , the buck stops with you mate nobody else
well said all boils down to common sense
ziomChan

Post by ziomChan »

i would suggest Mr. Forkie gets his transport supervisor out & if he wont let you strap them, suggest you will give DVSA a call & they can have a chat with him.
eadieNeddy

Post by eadieNeddy »

ziomChan wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:22 pm i would suggest Mr. Forkie gets his transport supervisor out & if he wont let you strap them, suggest you will give DVSA a call & they can have a chat with him.
spot on!
VarllMars

Post by VarllMars »

I never use straps i go slowly in the bends italian style
HanYour

Post by HanYour »

That’s a 10 minute job to strap them up, plenty of room between load and roof to throw them over. 🤷🏻‍♂️
HanYour

Post by HanYour »

Even
Stuart could throw them over that load😂
willBlogger

Post by willBlogger »

HanYour wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:29 pm Even
easy that …not sure what all the fuss is …maybe they should have a go at a few of our loads 😂
HanYour

Post by HanYour »

willBlogger wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:30 pm
easy that …not sure what all the fuss is …maybe they should have a go at a few of our loads 😂
I was thinking the same thing mate, we have about 6” if we are lucky😂😂 even less when Terry is loading them 🙄
willBlogger

Post by willBlogger »

HanYour wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:30 pm
I was thinking the same thing mate, we have about 6” if we are lucky😂😂 even less when Terry is loading them 🙄
exactly …maybe we are just used to it now 😂😂
flinBerlin

Post by flinBerlin »

willBlogger wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:31 pm

you would have just shut the curtains 🙄
willBlogger

Post by willBlogger »

flinBerlin wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:31 pm

ain’t worth the fine unlike some lazy drivers who seem to chance it
HanYour

Post by HanYour »

willBlogger wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:32 pm

that load on this post is a 10 minute job,
So it’s not worth risking a fine is it 🤷🏻‍♂️ ?
Also if you get pulled you will lose more than 10 minutes so just do it in the first place.
We’re not allowed to get out without anything strapped are we 😂
willBlogger

Post by willBlogger »

HanYour wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:32 pm
willBlogger wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:32 pm

that load on this post is a 10 minute job,
So it’s not worth risking a fine is it 🤷🏻‍♂️ ?
Also if you get pulled you will lose more than 10 minutes so just do it in the first place.
We’re not allowed to get out without anything strapped are we 😂
we wouldn’t be allowed out the yard 😂
Ianphally70

Post by Ianphally70 »

Depends on the weight of them and the type of curtains on the trailer
KathLike

Post by KathLike »

Ianphally70 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:33 pm Depends on the weight of them and the type of curtains on the trailer
everyone who doesn't use ratchets says this then gets pulled and told to put straps on. They don't seem bothered about your curtains tbh
KathLike

Post by KathLike »

Have same problem at a job but you can stay on the trailer floor while loading.
Can be very difficult I prefer to get up a ladder afterwards from one side.
Ps icbs arnt full have like 25 percent in each one for some off reason.
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (408.6 KiB) Viewed 865 times
dannEasy

Post by dannEasy »

Why not throw straps over when you have been loaded ?
tagPlacard

Post by tagPlacard »

dannEasy wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:35 pm Why not throw straps over when you have been loaded ?
if some of the drivers on here had a brain they would be dangerous
dannEasy

Post by dannEasy »

tagPlacard wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:35 pm
dannEasy wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:35 pm Why not throw straps over when you have been loaded ?
if some of the drivers on here had a brain they would be dangerous
yes mate it does make you wonder sometimes
GarryFree

Post by GarryFree »

I would be strapp8ng them around to the chassis not the hook points
HaaijEyes

Post by HaaijEyes »

Saint Gobain glass factory, drivers are not allowed to strap they load when loading, more than that, the whole area outside is on double yellow, no strapping bays or anything, I’ve done it once, they’ve told me this, I didn’t gave a damn, when I had options, I was putting straps on and I’ve finished it up outside on the double yellow, duck them!
adyggeens33

Post by adyggeens33 »

Surely you can refuse to move as insecure load.
tongerro18

Post by tongerro18 »

I will never understand drivers that complain about sites that don’t allow you to strap up. Utter bollocks. Stay where you are and strap up, full stop. What the F@&k is the worry?? Is it that these drivers are scared of being told off?? Bless. Xx. We all know our loads must be safe. I can understand it can be awkward during a stand off, but it’s your licence so feck their piss pot rules x
ChBrilliant

Post by ChBrilliant »

tongerro18 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:38 pm I will never understand drivers that complain about sites that don’t allow you to strap up. Utter bollocks. Stay where you are and strap up, full stop. What the F@&k is the worry?? Is it that these drivers are scared of being told off?? Bless. Xx. We all know our loads must be safe. I can understand it can be awkward during a stand off, but it’s your licence so feck their piss pot rules x
and that’s why I pull a fridge pal !!! 👍😂😂
CoulRazo

Post by CoulRazo »

tongerro18 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:38 pm I will never understand drivers that complain about sites that don’t allow you to strap up. Utter bollocks. Stay where you are and strap up, full stop. What the F@&k is the worry?? Is it that these drivers are scared of being told off?? Bless. Xx. We all know our loads must be safe. I can understand it can be awkward during a stand off, but it’s your licence so feck their piss pot rules x
Just refuse to collect the load if they refuse you to strap up in their yard.
greenthMo

Post by greenthMo »

CoulRazo wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:39 pm
Just refuse to collect the load if they refuse you to strap up in their yard.
In the late 70s, rope and sheeting, I would refuse to move my vehicle until the load was secure, would tell them that I was the captain of this ship matey. If your not happy take the load off
KirbyMan

Post by KirbyMan »

As a boss said to me once would you take a load like that unstrapped on a flat. (my answer being no) his reply well you will need to strap it on a curtainsider.
howUpdate

Post by howUpdate »

KirbyMan wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:40 pm As a boss said to me once would you take a load like that unstrapped on a flat. (my answer being no) his reply well you will need to strap it on a curtainsider.
bit different tho with load baring curtains and internal straps on.. overkill and anything to catch a driver out
DavidGett

Post by DavidGett »

howUpdate wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:40 pm
KirbyMan wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:40 pm As a boss said to me once would you take a load like that unstrapped on a flat. (my answer being no) his reply well you will need to strap it on a curtainsider.
bit different tho with load baring curtains and internal straps on.. overkill and anything to catch a driver out
load bearing curtains only viable with a positive fit load
ogillpugg51

Post by ogillpugg51 »

DavidGett wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:41 pm
howUpdate wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:40 pm
load bearing curtains only viable with a positive fit load
ENXL curtains are only valid if the whole body is specced to ENXL, there will be a blue & white plate on the chassis or body if it's compliant.
CatterBe

Post by CatterBe »

Maybe different curtains. Our company changed all our fleets curtains when the law changed a couple of years ago. There will be something on the curtains saying they are load barring or not. Some loads may still be safer to strap.
bradJean

Post by bradJean »

CatterBe wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:45 pm Maybe different curtains. Our company changed all our fleets curtains when the law changed a couple of years ago. There will be something on the curtains saying they are load barring or not. Some loads may still be safer to strap.
nothing to do with the curtains being load bearing. The whole trailer has to be designed and built following EN12642.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”