No doubt this question has been asked numerous times so apologies in advance. What’s the going rate for handballing?

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
SkelRaw

No doubt this question has been asked numerous times so apologies in advance. What’s the going rate for handballing?

Post by SkelRaw »

No doubt this question has been asked numerous times so apologies in advance. What’s the going rate for handballing? Just completed a job for a customer on the exchange they’ve told me to add the charges for handballing. For obvious reasons I don’t want to take the piss but at the same time don’t want to do undercut myself?
Your feedback is appreciated
MorriSoft

Re: No doubt this question has been asked numerous times so apologies in advance. What’s the going rate for handballing?

Post by MorriSoft »

It depends on how long it took of off load
SkelRaw

Re: No doubt this question has been asked numerous times so apologies in advance. What’s the going rate for handballing?

Post by SkelRaw »

MorriSoft wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:59 pm It depends on how long it took of off load
they are still currently offloading 2 guys offloading 30 minutes so far handballing to 3rd floor.
MorriSoft

Post by MorriSoft »

SkelRaw wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:00 pm
MorriSoft wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:59 pm It depends on how long it took of off load
they are still currently offloading 2 guys offloading 30 minutes so far handballing to 3rd floor.
that’s hard to judge to people say £15 an hour at least that’s 30 quid possibly more
SkelRaw

Post by SkelRaw »

MorriSoft wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:00 pm
that’s hard to judge to people say £15 an hour at least that’s 30 quid possibly more
I will bear that in mind in future thanks mate
laychania8

Post by laychania8 »

SkelRaw wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:01 pm

I don’t call that handballing, handball kerbside yes, but not 3rd floor.
aliincens08

Post by aliincens08 »

SkelRaw wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:01 pm

I've said ot before ill say it again, its not about the time, its about breaking your back with a 30 to 50 kilo up a path through a building, yes it'll probably get done 25 to 35 minutes but the effort level is high so pay the man 15 to 20 quid, but noooo I get laughed at instead and we can can offer you £5 take itnor leave it. Next time I'm in that situation, I will refuse to unload because of a back problem I have and ask them to get another driver to unload me, or the customer, or pay me £10 to £20 depending on the effort level not time. That day was 2 kegs
DarenSky

Post by DarenSky »

Tricky one, a lot of posters are getting used to extra charges for that, some won't entertain it, at the end of the day it's your van that had to be loaded or unloaded by hand, I think its part of the job, others think different.
SkelRaw

Post by SkelRaw »

DarenSky wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:04 pm Tricky one, a lot of posters are getting used to extra charges for that, some won't entertain it, at the end of the day it's your van that had to be loaded or unloaded by hand, I think its part of the job, others think different.
so picked the job up for collecting 4 pallets after they sent job they told me at offload we may have to help offload and take the items upstairs and to put the charges through.
DarenSky

Post by DarenSky »

SkelRaw wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:04 pm
DarenSky wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:04 pm Tricky one, a lot of posters are getting used to extra charges for that, some won't entertain it, at the end of the day it's your van that had to be loaded or unloaded by hand, I think its part of the job, others think different.
so picked the job up for collecting 4 pallets after they sent job they told me at offload we may have to help offload and take the items upstairs and to put the charges through.
so forklifted on, handball off ??? Upstairs is a different matter to be honest, how long were you on site at the delivery point ???
SkelRaw

Post by SkelRaw »

DarenSky wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:05 pm
so forklifted on, handball off ??? Upstairs is a different matter to be honest, how long were you on site at the delivery point ???
yea it’s been forked on and it’s getting handballed off. Currently been there 30 mins 2 guy so 1 hour total handballing so far. Think it’s 3rd floor. Guys are letting me know total offload time when they are done.
DarenSky

Post by DarenSky »

SkelRaw wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:05 pm

yea it’s been forked on and it’s getting handballed off. Currently been there 30 mins 2 guy so 1 hour total handballing so far. Think it’s 3rd floor. Guys are letting me know total offload time when they are done.
£30 an hour per guy I'd say 👍
SkelRaw

Post by SkelRaw »

DarenSky wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:06 pm
SkelRaw wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:05 pm

£30 an hour per guy I'd say 👍
that’s what I’ve done. 30 minutes total for 2 guys charged £30
thomGrim

Post by thomGrim »

had to handball several times, 99.9% of the time I didn’t ask anyone to add something on top as I took it part of the job, anyways most of them were offering £20 extra as I told them pay as much as you want. Of course different point of view from a driver to another. And I think at some point it paid off.
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (60.05 KiB) Viewed 402 times
JimmPure

Post by JimmPure »

Spot on
Drivers should expect some handballing needs to be done it’s a van not a HGV
I had one plonker wanted xtra for taking 5 small boxes of his van
Of course sometimes is it a large van and the a lot to unload you will probably need to pay
But some drivers take the piss
DarenSky

Post by DarenSky »

JimmPure wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:09 pm
Spot on
Of course sometimes is it a large van and the a lot to unload you will probably need to pay
It sounded at the start as though you were surprised they were offering you more money, as Jimmy says some people take the piss with handball charges, you clearly aren't one of them 👍 if your happy, it's a good result 👍
SkelRaw

Post by SkelRaw »

DarenSky wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:09 pm
JimmPure wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:09 pm
Spot on
It sounded at the start as though you were surprised they were offering you more money, as Jimmy says some people take the piss with handball charges, you clearly aren't one of them 👍 if your happy, it's a good result 👍
no it was more a case of after it was booked they said you might need to help handball and just charge for it and I don’t want to take the piss but the same time don’t want to sell myself short. Thanks for the feedback 👍
McGseed

Post by McGseed »

I did job. Same forked on handball. I pallet. Of box’s. Blue pallet. I got 10£ plus 10£ for the hour I was there
McGseed

Post by McGseed »

15£. Per person. Is fair as unloading of van is drivers job
aaziGhazi

Post by aaziGhazi »

add money for handball usually means there is a lot or quite a bit to unload by hand so maybe take your cart to speed things up time is money if I'm loading I go by the 25 pound per hour loading rate so it depends how long the loading takes but that's me and we all work different good luck 👍
peardive94

Post by peardive94 »

You do multi drops then I will ask every customer to come and get their parcel from my van
..some couriers should go back to a fu...farm
SkelRaw

Post by SkelRaw »

peardive94 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:15 pm You do multi drops then I will ask every customer to come and get their parcel from my van
..some couriers should go back to a fu...farm
read that twice and still don’t get it? Come again?
HodChrome

Post by HodChrome »

A company charged me £15 to unload this... 2 yards from back of their van.....they've not got another job off me since.
Attachments
Photo.jpg
Photo.jpg (121.42 KiB) Viewed 387 times
dagRended

Post by dagRended »

Always use common sense. On 1 end there are drivers who charge for taking few boxes out of the van and on the other end are companies expecting drivers to offload the whole van at Hermes for free. I'm a driver and also posting a jobs from time to time that I can't cover myself. Last week I paid £125 for 40miles small van job to SW London, it came out that recipient will come in half an hour(total waiting time 50minutes), I assumed its always 30minutes waiting included, but guy answered there is nothing free in this world. He had over 200 positive feedbacks but I won't use him again as guys like this needs 5 pages T&C.
WillFaith

Post by WillFaith »

Depends on goods weight, volume etc
ChatChris

Post by ChatChris »

Loading and unloading the van should be included in your original quote. If your lucky enough to have a FLT both ends its a bonus. If you charge customers extra for handballing, you won't get as much repeat business. Most companies will pay a bit extra if you are on site for a period of time, but some take the piss by charging extra for handball on a small van job of 5 or 6 boxes.
jimmBall

Post by jimmBall »

ChatChris wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:23 pm Loading and unloading the van should be included in your original quote. If your lucky enough to have a FLT both ends its a bonus. If you charge customers extra for handballing, you won't get as much repeat business. Most companies will pay a bit extra if you are on site for a period of time, but some take the piss by charging extra for handball on a small van job of 5 or 6 boxes.
💯 mate
FoulSolid

Post by FoulSolid »

Loading and unloading is part of the job as long as it does not take an excessive amount of time and it's not up 3 flights of stairs
SkelRaw

Post by SkelRaw »

FoulSolid wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:24 pm Loading and unloading is part of the job as long as it does not take an excessive amount of time and it's not up 3 flights of stairs
6 floor. Thanks you for your input I have now resolved this one.

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”