Good morning everyone, I passed my class 1 last week, yippee and today I was out and about in one with someone

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
stangirDen

Good morning everyone, I passed my class 1 last week, yippee and today I was out and about in one with someone

Post by stangirDen »

Good morning everyone, I passed my class 1 last week, yippee and today I was out and about in one with someone experienced with me. All good driving but the problems occurred when reversing between trailers, onto a loading bay and into yards, really struggled and to be honest felt embarrassed and disappointed, is there any tips or advice out there or is just a case of practice and more practice.
MaguiLex

Re: Good morning everyone, I passed my class 1 last week, yippee and today I was out and about in one with someone

Post by MaguiLex »

take your time, try to get as straight as you can with the gap/ bay and f**k everyone else
tobyrutton67

Re: Good morning everyone, I passed my class 1 last week, yippee and today I was out and about in one with someone

Post by tobyrutton67 »

Just takes time and practice mate 💯 don't feel embarrassed everyone has been there
stangirDen

Post by stangirDen »

tobyrutton67 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:50 am Just takes time and practice mate 💯 don't feel embarrassed everyone has been there
thanks mate
ChrisVivid

Post by ChrisVivid »

You will probably find you are not as bad as you think once you are on your own nothing worse than someone watching your every move
woodus088

Post by woodus088 »

No one can make you great at football but you can become great! Put yourself in positions that take you out of your comfort zone and just take as long as you need to get in that space we’ve all been there!!
liamDiam

Post by liamDiam »

take it slow mate, give yourself as much space as possible, it takes experience to get the feel, any driver who says they get it right first time every time is lying!
always use G.O.A.L (get out and look), reassess your position when necessary, don't take risks and take it slow and steady
my advice if you're pulling a 6 wheeled trailer is look at the middle axle as a point of reference to guide it in - good luck 🤞🏻
stangirDen

Post by stangirDen »

liamDiam wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:55 am take it slow mate, give yourself as much space as possible, it takes experience to get the feel, any driver who says they get it right first time every time is lying!
always use G.O.A.L (get out and look), reassess your position when necessary, don't take risks and take it slow and steady
my advice if you're pulling a 6 wheeled trailer is look at the middle axle as a point of reference to guide it in - good luck 🤞🏻
thanks mate sounds good advice
liamDiam

Post by liamDiam »

stangirDen wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:55 am
liamDiam wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:55 am take it slow mate, give yourself as much space as possible, it takes experience to get the feel, any driver who says they get it right first time every time is lying!
thanks mate sounds good advice
o bad advice pal
KirbyMan

Post by KirbyMan »

We've all been there mate just take your time and don't be too greedy with the turns of the steering wheel.
stangirDen

Post by stangirDen »

KirbyMan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:56 am We've all been there mate just take your time and don't be too greedy with the turns of the steering wheel.
couldn't keep the steering still just felt like I had to turn it all the time!
KirbyMan

Post by KirbyMan »

stangirDen wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:57 am
KirbyMan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:56 am We've all been there mate just take your time and don't be too greedy with the turns of the steering wheel.
couldn't keep the steering still just felt like I had to turn it all the time!
I was exactly the same, it used to take me 10 minutes to get on a bay, it was awful. It will come with practice, just go slow and don't do massive turns you'll get there 👍
howUpdate

Post by howUpdate »

Take as many shunts as ya need. Try and straighten the cab and trailer on ya shunts so you aint fighting it right away. Long as you get it where it needs to be without hitting anything its job successful. Im 5 weeks in and still forget which way to turn
DavidGett

Post by DavidGett »

I was on your shoes a few months ago
The only thing that helps is doing it . And all the above advice
One day it will just happen and yes it’s still not perfect but it’s getting there
ogillpugg51

Post by ogillpugg51 »

You’ll learn it takes time and patience you will get their pal we all had to learn coz some drivers have short memory’s.
JoSubject

Post by JoSubject »

Just take your time. It’ll come as you gain experience. Even now I can screw up a perfectly good reverse!!
stangirDen

Post by stangirDen »

JoSubject wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:01 am Just take your time. It’ll come as you gain experience. Even now I can screw up a perfectly good reverse!!
good to hear that people still screw up!
hayyken11

Post by hayyken11 »

stangirDen wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:02 am
JoSubject wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:01 am Just take your time. It’ll come as you gain experience. Even now I can screw up a perfectly good reverse!!
good to hear that people still screw up!
i did a reverse last week that I've done 1000 times before and it took 3 go's. 😂 sh*t happens.
CatterBe

Post by CatterBe »

Don't feel embarrassed. Everyone has to start somewhere you'll get it in no time😁! Just remember....don't be a c*nt, take a shunt 🤣👌🏼
bradJean

Post by bradJean »

Time practice and patience. I still screw up and even those who have been on class one(ce) for 200 years still mess up. Will have good days where can do in one and bad days where need 2000000000 shunts
DavidGett

Post by DavidGett »

bradJean wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:05 am Time practice and patience. I still screw up and even those who have been on class one(ce) for 200 years still mess up. Will have good days where can do in one and bad days where need 2000000000 shunts
only 200 years
Or is that hours worked works out to a normal persons 200 years at work
NickChee

Post by NickChee »

Shouldn't the "someone experienced with me" be helping and advising you with the reversing. Sort of defeats the reason of them being there if not. 😉
mageeUpfor

Post by mageeUpfor »

Watch your trailer wheels it gives you a good idea of the line the trailers taking when reversing and go slow 👍
LeeNumero

Post by LeeNumero »

Best tip I can give is don’t be embarrassed, you’ve learned to pass your test now your learning how to do the job, you will be giving that advice to others in the future
PriceNan

Post by PriceNan »

I always tell the new passers - take you time - don't worry about anyone other than yourself - do all the hard work going forward, by that I mean get in the right position so you only have to guide it into the gap rather than fight to get it in. Don't oversteer - GOAL - don't be a c**t take a shunt - imagine the trailer is much longer than it is - watch the rear end of the trailer - it pivots on the wheels - nothing to it 🤔
dayecon11

Post by dayecon11 »

Mate I’ve woke up bare ass naked asleep in my mum n dads wheelie bin after a big p*ss up because I can’t handle my ale and I wasn’t embarrassed at that…point being. Don’t worry about what others think, take your time and with experience you’ll get there. Practice Practice practice we’ve all been at that point. If In doubt, get out and look or start again. 👍👍 good luck
robedpan03

Post by robedpan03 »

dayecon11 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:11 am Mate I’ve woke up bare ass naked asleep in my mum n dads wheelie bin after a big p*ss up because I can’t handle my ale and I wasn’t embarrassed at that…point being. Don’t worry about what others think, take your time and with experience you’ll get there. Practice Practice practice we’ve all been at that point. If In doubt, get out and look or start again. 👍👍 good luck
Thats exactly right
bevanHero

Post by bevanHero »

It'll come in time,,We all had to learn ,Every day you will improve 😊, A few month from now you'll look back and realize just how far you've come 👏
MarkBandit

Post by MarkBandit »

It will come with time don't be too hard on yourself
whercode74

Post by whercode74 »

Finding the pivot point is key lock on lock off between pivot point try not steer so much let trailer do turning with that in mind u will learn fast
SteveMans

Post by SteveMans »

First off don't feel bad about it mate. I have been doing class 1 for about 6 months and I can tell you it gets easier, still have the odd off day but on the whole it's not as scary as the first day. As for the reverse
get a straight line down the unit and trailer if possible before starting reverse
Lean out of window where possible
Move slow and small turns on the steering wheel
As many shunts as you need
And get out and look (more than once if needed)
Enjoy your new journey and stay safe
LeakRida

Post by LeakRida »

SteveMans wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:19 am First off don't feel bad about it mate. I have been doing class 1 for about 6 months and I can tell you it gets easier, still have the odd off day but on the whole it's not as scary as the first day. As for the reverse
get a straight line down the unit and trailer if possible before starting reverse
Lean out of window where possible
Move slow and small turns on the steering wheel
As many shunts as you need
And get out and look (more than once if needed)
Enjoy your new journey and stay safe
I’ve been driving class1 for 32 years and still have the odd reversing nightmare… 🥴🥴🥴 Sh*t happens to us all..
mahoMarc

Post by mahoMarc »

Gets easier, but there will always be days where it just keeps going wrong. I can go to a store one day, blindside it round a corner of a wall onto a scissor lift and get it right first time. Go again the next day and it can take about 5 shunts and 1 restart to get it on 😂 Just take your time and don't be put off by people watching
kearBurke

Post by kearBurke »

Once you have your trailer pointing roughly where you want it get your cab wheels straight the trailer will continue in that arch then you can adjust your steering a little at a time use the centre of your rear 2 wheels for reversing. And like the rest are saying take your time if you can find somewhere to practice do as many times as possible it'll all be good in the not too distant future 👍👍
AlexCalyx

Post by AlexCalyx »

We was all like that so don't worry about it👍👍👍👍👍👍nowt to be embarrassed about.....
grangShun

Post by grangShun »

Congratulations on passing your test! Not much advice to add to the other comments but try not to feel too disheartened when you're struggling this early on. I'm 4 years in and still have a problem with over steering lol so you will improve with time and practice I promise 😊 just go slowly and I know it's hard not to worry about embarrassment or people watching you but that will also pass!
Aitkencess

Post by Aitkencess »

No revs . . . and ditch big brother!!
down2tman

Post by down2tman »

Go easy on the steering input, you'll be amazed at how little steering is needed to get the trailer moving, also remember the more you put in the more you need to take off to get back straight, less is more sometimes
NickRay

Post by NickRay »

Just go slow. Still have good and bad days reversing. 🙂
FuncNate

Post by FuncNate »

Don't be embarrassed. Don't give a shit about other people watching. Just do your thing mate. In your own time. But when you do get better, don't forget where you were today and be prepared to help and understand other'newbys' no one's perfect. And even the good ones have bad days mate 👍👍
FuncNate

Post by FuncNate »

And just remember. It pivot's on the axle. Not the corner. Take note of your axle position and reverse it on them.
helRocket

Post by helRocket »

join a group set up over a year ago by a couple of my friends may help you out New HGV drivers Class 1 and 2 (under 2 years)
shaneCist

Post by shaneCist »

Don’t feel bad the more reversing you do the better you’ll get, eventually it will come naturally
robedpan03

Post by robedpan03 »

Just take your time if you're not sure about the space you have get out and have a look nobody will laugh at you I've had a class one 35 years and still tied my self in knots you just laugh it off some days you'll get straight where you want to be other days it takes a bit of shunting about
ivessDrives

Post by ivessDrives »

just take your time it will get better
LeeBrainy

Post by LeeBrainy »

Go back to your previous job...as there just might be a driver in his cab snoozing when your reversing.....couldn't live with myself if i injured a driver and more if it prevented him from earning a living....
macDouse

Post by macDouse »

I totally understand you, when I just passed my test I found it really difficult. It's hard to explain how you do it but I tell you what one day it will just come to and you will be like 'shit I'm starting to get this' but one of the things I learnt is that once you know the size of the trailer and there is like a 6th sense you will develop where you know 'hang on a minute am I getting close' if that ever happens then get out and look because 9 times out of 10 you are right.
The best advice for reversing between 2 trailers on to a bay is try to get as close to the trailer on the left if you are looking out the window and try to do that quite early on don't leave it to late and to close. You will know that trailer fits in that gap so get as close as you can by doing that you guarantee know you will clear the other side but at the same time don't leave it to late and if you have to then put more of a kink so it comes round quicker. I don't know what else to say except good and luck and if you can just keep practicing when you can really
KinsWeb

Post by KinsWeb »

Ironically, don't look back on past mistakes, look forward to gaining more experience, we all make mistakes, it's all about how you handle them 🤔😉😎
ivanneed5

Post by ivanneed5 »

Just take it steady & get out check if need be but don't be embarrassed
DarriBoxx

Post by DarriBoxx »

Practice Practice give yourself as much room as possible ask for advice we were all new drivers once and you will learn every day for rest of your driving career enjoy it
johnyXinn

Post by johnyXinn »

Never feel embarrassed as time goes on you’ll get better and see drivers of all ages and experience still fuck up the reverse. The time will come when you get it on first time perfect and the will be no body around to see and when you fuck it up it’s like match match
BillPrime

Post by BillPrime »

The slower you go the more control you have of were it’s pointing. Get out and look if need be. Don’t feel embarrassed or it will pull you down and make you cock up more. Oh ye if it’s a tri axle trailer look at middle axel as that’s the pivot point for it turning.
richieFizz

Post by richieFizz »

Buy a toy lorry people think I joke but when your sat at home having a brew then have a go. You'll get the principles of it all then. Use your wheels as a guide when reversing not the side of the trailer.
richieFizz

Post by richieFizz »

We have a saying. " don't be a c@nt take a shunt"
WhyWire

Post by WhyWire »

Take your time and practice, if you need help ask alot of good people out there will help, I've been doing it 22 years and I still have days where I take 2 or 3 shunts, who cares mukka I don't it gets on eventually
cbrminu33

Post by cbrminu33 »

practice, and remember, the unit is effectively the steering wheels. You need to break the link in your head, so you can think of the unit, and trailer as separate thing's. Forget about left right etc. it's unit, and trailer. Unfortunately, experience is really the only thing that will get you going well, and even experienced driver's struggle from time to time. Remember also, if you make a bend, and unit continues in a straight line, the bend will increase, so you can start with a slight bend from a distance if it's tight, and it will eventually turn in.
RichKrool

Post by RichKrool »

If the yard is big enough, try and approach the gap with the unit and trailer lined up as straight as possible if it's mot big enough then just go steady, and try not to oversteer it will take a lot of practice .I've done 48 years of practice, and iam still learning.
slatermi67

Post by slatermi67 »

Practice. Take it slow. Don’t be afraid to get out and take a look if your in doubt. It’ll come so don’t get yourself stressed and make it a bigger issue than it is. And honestly no one cares if you take a hundred shunts. no matter how many straight on the bay no shunt.1 hit wonders there are on here.
MorriSoft

Post by MorriSoft »

Slow win the race when reversing. Take your time, don’t rush around and ignore any prick in yard that may be unhappy about you going slow. All it takes is practice practice and a little bit more practice.
Take as many shunts as you need to.
laychania8

Post by laychania8 »

Don't think about anyone watching we all been there some still have bad days take ya time just work Position my dad 30 years ago said boy get it in the right position works everything 30 years later I still practice that be safe enjoy and just relax all those that criticize instead of help are not worth the worry
DarenSky

Post by DarenSky »

We all been there, some days I can get on a bay in one no shunts,(though I take one to do doors and make sure I am straight). Other days I think why the fuck am I doing this and start again 😩😂.
This week I’ve got to my collection point, let my anxiety take over and kept fucking up. Taking 5/6 shunts or more. Get to my drop on the same day and get it in between 2 trailers on a bay, with just 1 shunt to straighten up.
Nobody is perfect, just take it slow, watch the middle wheel/back of your trailer, and if you need someone to help just ask.
thomGrim

Post by thomGrim »

Look more, Steer less - slow an steady wins the day.....creep it in slowly, make SMALL adjustments, get out and look if you want - but you tend to find most problems come from people who want to be steering wheel twirlers or try to rush it.
PaulFree

Post by PaulFree »

Safely not quickly and there will always be someone who thinks they are better. They forget they were where you are once.
whittPaper

Post by whittPaper »

completely normal, for this to happen and feel like that, a lot to learn and take in with class 1 driving . good luck and enjoy
McGseed

Post by McGseed »

Take your time, it aint a rush, yes you will get the sarcastic dinlows who are perfect, fuck em dont get flustered
aaziGhazi

Post by aaziGhazi »

Nice and steady an old boy gave me a little tip you can usually see the tyre marks follow them if you can 😜
WillFaith

Post by WillFaith »

Many years ago I remember my husband phoning me just after he passed his class 1 saying he couldn't get it on a bay and was going to give it all up, now he can do it without hardly looking, you'll get there just be patient with yourself, good luck
peardive94

Post by peardive94 »

Don't be afraid to ask for help lots of us will be pleased to help you not everyone wants to post stuff on Facebook taking the micky you know.
ChatChris

Post by ChatChris »

None of us could when we first passed. Takes a bit of time. Just remember the slower you reverse you can correct any mistakes as you do it. Remember what you were taught “ don’t be a c£&t take a shunt.
jimmBall

Post by jimmBall »

Remember the mantra. One big heave on the wheel to start off then little adjustments and as Mick says, slow slow. It'll come good. X

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”