Hi all I have a question, we recently purchased the assets of our sister company and novated our tracking and tacho

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
dayecon11

Hi all I have a question, we recently purchased the assets of our sister company and novated our tracking and tacho

Post by dayecon11 »

Hi all I have a question, we recently purchased the assets of our sister company and novated our tracking and tacho management software, I have sent new company cards to the provider ( based on Germany) but dew to strikes etc they have not been received yet. My question is this GM is saying that we must lock in the new company which I know we must to protect our information but if we do that now it will prevent us being able to download any information from the trucks based nationwide until the new cards are received and inserted, I know how the cards work and why they get locked in to prevent third party download but I am not aware of any legal legislation that says they must be locked in could someone point me to something that says we must legal have it locked in or some that says we don't so
SteveMans

Re: Hi all I have a question, we recently purchased the assets of our sister company and novated our tracking and tacho

Post by SteveMans »

Wouldn’t you have locked the tacho’s in before sending the cards to Germany? Or am I not following this?
dayecon11

Re: Hi all I have a question, we recently purchased the assets of our sister company and novated our tracking and tacho

Post by dayecon11 »

SteveMans wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:15 pm Wouldn’t you have locked the tacho’s in before sending the cards to Germany? Or am I not following this?
Sorry I might not have explained it well, The trucks are currently locked in under the old company and the cards that are currently in Germany are the old company cards, the new cards have been sent to be swapped with one for each depot kept back to lock in the new company once cards are swapped, the problem is that if we swap now on our side before they are swapped in Germany we will lose the ability to download until they receive and swap them.
SteveMans

Post by SteveMans »

dayecon11 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:16 pm
SteveMans wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:15 pm Wouldn’t you have locked the tacho’s in before sending the cards to Germany? Or am I not following this?
Sorry I might not have explained it well, The trucks are currently locked in under the old company and the cards that are currently in Germany are the old company cards, the new cards have been sent to be swapped with one for each depot kept back to lock in the new company once cards are swapped, the problem is that if we swap now on our side before they are swapped in Germany we will lose the ability to download until they receive and swap them.
are all the trucks on a UK O Licence?
dayecon11

Post by dayecon11 »

SteveMans wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:16 pm
yes
SteveMans

Post by SteveMans »

dayecon11 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:17 pm

yes
so don’t they have to come back to the UK every 4 weeks anyhow, so lock them in then
dayecon11

Post by dayecon11 »

SteveMans wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:17 pm
dayecon11 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:17 pm

yes
so don’t they have to come back to the UK every 4 weeks anyhow, so lock them in then
locking the trucks in is not a issue I could have all the trucks locked in tomorrow, but our remote download provider (webfleet) is based in Germany they need to receive the cards and swap them out before we can lock out the old company and lock in the new one because otherwise we will not be able to download and that runs the risk of something like a drivers card or a trucks download being missed I want to hold off till we get word from webfleet that it's been swapped, so nothing is missed or lost, but GM is adamant we must by law lock in the new company now, but I don't know any legal legislations that say that and that actually swapping now is what could cost us legal issues because we might lose records
mahoMarc

Post by mahoMarc »

Your looking at it from the wrong direction...company A are locked in whilst company B are operating the vehicles ...the issue is company B cannot retain the tachograph records as required by law
dayecon11

Post by dayecon11 »

mahoMarc wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:19 pm Your looking at it from the wrong direction...company A are locked in whilst company B are operating the vehicles ...the issue is company B cannot retain the tachograph records as required by law
company b can because I still have the availability to download and save that information if lock in company b before provider receiving the cards that is what will prevent us being able to save the information
mahoMarc

Post by mahoMarc »

dayecon11 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:19 pm
mahoMarc wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:19 pm Your looking at it from the wrong direction...company A are locked in whilst company B are operating the vehicles ...the issue is company B cannot retain the tachograph records as required by law
company b can because I still have the availability to download and save that information if lock in company b before provider receiving the cards that is what will prevent us being able to save the information
as I understand company A cards are with webfleet they can download the data in the name of company A ...although you have access to company A data and can analyse it retrospectively... you legally shouldn't...as the operator of the vehicles are now company B ...

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”