So i work for a company, I'm on their books, I'm zero hour contract, I work average three days most weeks, I can say

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
SwarHiro

So i work for a company, I'm on their books, I'm zero hour contract, I work average three days most weeks, I can say

Post by SwarHiro »

So i work for a company, I'm on their books, I'm zero hour contract, I work average three days most weeks, I can say no, but also so can they. The regular drivers are now getting a big payrise. They had an email informing them of said payrise. We on the other hand did not get the email and it seems, aren't getting the payrise. It seems being permanent staff is totally different to being part time. I've told them if they think I'm working for 10 quid an hour when most of the others are getting 14 they are off their rocker. Thoughts?
It seems now that they have added a clause, 14.50 paid only on the days you actually work, holidays paid at old rate of 10.72?
SwarHiro

Re: So i work for a company, I'm on their books, I'm zero hour contract, I work average three days most weeks, I can say

Post by SwarHiro »

LeoHear wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:46 am Find another job.
it's 3 miles away, I know the ins and outs he hours suit me I'm comfortable there I have no desire to leave
NigeMuch

Re: So i work for a company, I'm on their books, I'm zero hour contract, I work average three days most weeks, I can say

Post by NigeMuch »

SwarHiro wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:46 am
it's 3 miles away, I know the ins and outs he hours suit me I'm comfortable there I have no desire to leave
so it’s positives against negatives. It doesn’t look like your boss is going to make your money up so are the benefits worth the lower wage? If you think the boss will have trouble replacing you then talk to him, can’t hurt.
This is the whole problem with zero hour contracts and why they should be illegal. At least if you’re with an agency they’ll usually find you something else but it’s an unknown every day.
LeoHear

Post by LeoHear »

SwarHiro wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:46 am
I would still find another job. Either you are happy with the way it is or you are not? If not, you put up with it or leave.
yusulter40

Post by yusulter40 »

Stop moaning then. Seems to me you have 2 options, renegotiate you contract and be prepared to walk. Or put up with it. There has been so much bad press about zero hours contracts I'm surprised you didn't already realize you have no rights.
BurnsFor

Post by BurnsFor »

yusulter40 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:51 am Stop moaning then. Seems to me you have 2 options, renegotiate you contract and be prepared to walk. Or put up with it. There has been so much bad press about zero hours contracts I'm surprised you didn't already realize you have no rights.
of course he has rights
yusulter40

Post by yusulter40 »

BurnsFor wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:51 am
yusulter40 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:51 am Stop moaning then. Seems to me you have 2 options, renegotiate you contract and be prepared to walk. Or put up with it. There has been so much bad press about zero hours contracts I'm surprised you didn't already realize you have no rights.
of course he has rights
i didn't mention a gender. Nor is it relevant surely.
SwarHiro

Post by SwarHiro »

yusulter40 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:54 am
BurnsFor wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:51 am
of course he has rights
i didn't mention a gender. Nor is it relevant surely.
🤣🤣🤣🤣
eddieMedi

Post by eddieMedi »

Know your own value, different job
SimonoHi

Post by SimonoHi »

finnGrundy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:57 amLeave..
wouldn't be able to come on whinging about it if they did that.
finnGrundy

Post by finnGrundy »

SimonoHi wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:00 am
we all like a moan.
SimonoHi

Post by SimonoHi »

finnGrundy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:00 am
SimonoHi wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:00 am
we all like a moan.
very true
GrzeJolly

Post by GrzeJolly »

Some agencies are offering amazing money right now ✔️
olyserd44

Post by olyserd44 »

GrzeJolly wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:02 am Some agencies are offering amazing money right now ✔️
Then after Christmas they’ll say ‘Bye Bye’.
GrzeJolly

Post by GrzeJolly »

olyserd44 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:04 am
GrzeJolly wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:02 am Some agencies are offering amazing money right now ✔️
Then after Christmas they’ll say ‘Bye Bye’.
anything possible
ciorrow221

Post by ciorrow221 »

Been there you wont get a payrise just move on and find yourself a payrise
JassFinal

Post by JassFinal »

I think your off your rocker already working for £10 an hour
AnthoChee

Post by AnthoChee »

leave simple you work in a office not driving a truck... you want a pay rise drive a truck like everyone else....
SwarHiro

Post by SwarHiro »

AnthoChee wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:08 am leave simple you work in a office not driving a truck... you want a pay rise drive a truck like everyone else....
I am driving c1
AnthoChee

Post by AnthoChee »

SwarHiro wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:08 am
AnthoChee wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:08 am leave simple you work in a office not driving a truck... you want a pay rise drive a truck like everyone else....
I am driving c1
ahhh me bad... go else were then
jodieBrody

Post by jodieBrody »

I am driving c1
love how he just assume you worked in an office 😂😂
SwarHiro

Post by SwarHiro »

jodieBrody wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:15 am
I am driving c1
yes exactly, why would I post in hgv group if I was an office worker 🤔 🙄
mihaftexpe

Post by mihaftexpe »

SwarHiro wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:15 am

I am driving c1
I hope he reads his delivery notes more thoroughly. 🙄😉
SwarHiro

Post by SwarHiro »

mihaftexpe wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:16 am
SwarHiro wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:15 am

I hope he reads his delivery notes more thoroughly. 🙄😉
🤣
SwarHiro

Post by SwarHiro »

TayBuzz wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:19 am Speak to your union 👍
don't have one, tbh they don't have much clout anymore
TayBuzz

Post by TayBuzz »

SwarHiro wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:20 am
Only thing I can suggest is to threaten to leave with the other 3... hopefully they cannot afford to lose you... or just ask them direct. Be careful your employer doesn't see this post 👍
SwarHiro

Post by SwarHiro »

TayBuzz wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:20 am
Only thing I can suggest is to threaten to leave with the other 3... hopefully they cannot afford to lose you... or just ask them direct. Be careful your employer doesn't see this post 👍
believe me I will not be working for reduced wages, shame cos in every other way the job suits
TayBuzz

Post by TayBuzz »

SwarHiro wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:21 am
TayBuzz wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:20 am

believe me I will not be working for reduced wages, shame cos in every other way the job suits
why not just get a job at agency 3 days a week?
mattSpark

Post by mattSpark »

U will get double that for 2 days a week atm
SpStocks

Post by SpStocks »

they've shown you exactly how much they value you. You either sit down with them and show them how wrong they are and how much value you bring to the team and that you’re worthy of a raise, or you vote with your feet. If you stay on these terms you’re disrespecting yourself.
SwarHiro

Post by SwarHiro »

SpStocks wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:25 am they've shown you exactly how much they value you. You either sit down with them and show them how wrong they are and how much value you bring to the team and that you’re worthy of a raise, or you vote with your feet. If you stay on these terms you’re disrespecting yourself.
I send a message to transport manager saying he exactly where I stand his reply was defensive to say the least, I'm sure I will have to walk, sadly the job itself suits me rather well
EllerDoom

Post by EllerDoom »

SwarHiro wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:25 am
SpStocks wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:25 am they've shown you exactly how much they value you. You either sit down with them and show them how wrong they are and how much value you bring to the team and that you’re worthy of a raise, or you vote with your feet. If you stay on these terms you’re disrespecting yourself.
I send a message to transport manager saying he exactly where I stand his reply was defensive to say the least, I'm sure I will have to walk, sadly the job itself suits me rather well
Life’s a bitch mate, we rarely get everything we want out of it.
SwarHiro

Post by SwarHiro »

EllerDoom wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:26 am
SwarHiro wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:25 am
Life’s a bitch mate, we rarely get everything we want out of it.
I'll make sure they don't either
licament51

Post by licament51 »

Why not walk into the office a talk to them instead of publishing it on social media. You’d get more respect from them am sure.
SwarHiro

Post by SwarHiro »

licament51 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:27 am Why not walk into the office a talk to them instead of publishing it on social media. You’d get more respect from them am sure.
I already have!! Reply was I'm not as Important as the full time staff, I wanted to see if it was just me, and why don't you just stroll on by without commenting if you have issue with my post!!!!
KaroDay

Post by KaroDay »

SwarHiro wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:27 am
licament51 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:27 am Why not walk into the office a talk to them instead of publishing it on social media. You’d get more respect from them am sure.
I already have!! Reply was I'm not as Important as the full time staff, I wanted to see if it was just me, and why don't you just stroll on by without commenting if you have issue with my post!!!!
we'll go and sign on with an agency that pays more money or go and find another haulage company that pays more, you shouldn't need to be told this.
SwarHiro

Post by SwarHiro »

KaroDay wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:28 am
we'll go and sign on with an agency that pays more money or go and find another haulage company that pays more, you shouldn't need to be told this.
my bad so sorry for taking up your precious time perhaps if you've nothing constructive to say you might consider scrolling on by and keeping your thoughts to yourself
CaeLedger

Post by CaeLedger »

SwarHiro wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:29 am

my bad so sorry for taking up your precious time perhaps if you've nothing constructive to say you might consider scrolling on by and keeping your thoughts to yourself
is that £10ph on Class 1? If you're driving Class 1 on that rate then you need to seriously look elsewhere tbh 🙏
KaroDay

Post by KaroDay »

in your earlier post you said your on there books, if so I'd be asking why your not being paid same as other drivers that are on there books, you must like working for very poor money but that's your choice or is it that they think that's all your worth and not worth paying full money.
SwarHiro

Post by SwarHiro »

CaeLedger wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:32 am

is that £10ph on Class 1? If you're driving Class 1 on that rate then you need to seriously look elsewhere tbh 🙏
sadly yes, I'm aware that it's pants rate but the job is three miles away and not long hours so suits me rather well
iorijohn25

Post by iorijohn25 »

Zero hours is nothing but a scam,
SwarHiro

Post by SwarHiro »

Deivy2free wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:39 am 14??? 😂😂😂
I know
CaeLedger

Post by CaeLedger »

SwarHiro wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:39 am
Deivy2free wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:39 am 14??? 😂😂😂
I know
I'm on agency and drive 7.5T @16ph 🤫 I work 4nights most week but I give agency my availability they just send me the shift timings 😎
geospee23

Post by geospee23 »

Wait till they need you and ask them how much?
When they say £10 p/hr, tell them your busy elsewhere for £14 p/hr, they will soon up the rate🤣
japnote34

Post by japnote34 »

geospee23 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:41 am Wait till they need you and ask them how much?
When they say £10 p/hr, tell them your busy elsewhere for £14 p/hr, they will soon up the rate🤣
yeah you could do that alternatively you could say to them when they offer £10p/h “ok so that’s for stacking shelves now, what are you gonna give me as a professional driver?
Ryantanell

Post by Ryantanell »

Depends what you want mate I’m on the same as you can’t remember last time I done five days or a Saturday I love it
PeterGlitz

Post by PeterGlitz »

You have the freedom to say no..
The staff don't really..
If you want part time go agency
philipYoung

Post by philipYoung »

PeterGlitz wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:46 am You have the freedom to say no..
The staff don't really..
She is doing the same job she needs the same rate plus holiday pay pro rata
PeterGlitz

Post by PeterGlitz »

philipYoung wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:48 am
The staff don't really..
with the freedoms of being able to say no??
So change jobs..
Get better terms
Apparently there is a shortage of drivers
Simple.
PeterGlitz

Post by PeterGlitz »

philipYoung wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:48 am
The staff don't really..
it does seem a strange set up
edgaTins

Post by edgaTins »

Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (52.8 KiB) Viewed 977 times
SwarHiro

Post by SwarHiro »

edgaTins wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:49 am...
thanks for that, although it probably only applies to minimum wage but a good starting ground x
edgaTins

Post by edgaTins »

SwarHiro wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:50 am
thanks for that, although it probably only applies to minimum wage but a good starting ground x
It reads an employer cannot discriminate against zero hours contract workers by paying paying less rhan staff on differing employment contracts, so to me it means they gotta pay you the same 🙂
philipYoung

Post by philipYoung »

edgaTins wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:51 am
It reads an employer cannot discriminate against zero hours contract workers by paying paying less rhan staff on differing employment contracts, so to me it means they gotta pay you the same 🙂
Plus holiday pay
SwarHiro

Post by SwarHiro »

philipYoung wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:51 am

Plus holiday pay
so are they breaking the law by paying less when you're on holiday?
philipYoung

Post by philipYoung »

SwarHiro wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:52 am

Plus holiday pay
We have a lady driver on the agency £17 Mon Fri £19 Sat £24 Sunday on fridge work only has to open the trailer doors.
SwarHiro

Post by SwarHiro »

philipYoung wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:52 am

Plus holiday pay
We have a lady driver on the agency £17 Mon Fri £19 Sat £24 Sunday on fridge work only has to open the trailer doors.
I need that job 🤣
philipYoung

Post by philipYoung »

SwarHiro wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:53 am

I need that job 🤣
She paid £400 in stoppages the other week
philipYoung

Post by philipYoung »

I need that job 🤣
I wouldn't mind it myself but I don't want the hours😁
philipYoung

Post by philipYoung »

I need that job 🤣
What's your job doing if you don't mind me asking
SwarHiro

Post by SwarHiro »

philipYoung wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:54 am

I need that job 🤣
What's your job doing if you don't mind me asking
same
ShugGood

Post by ShugGood »

i'd try calling acas, think they have a employees helpline to find out about weather your employer is breaking the law
Deivy2free

Post by Deivy2free »

Why would you work for a company that pays 10 quid an hour, go to agency and they will keep you more busy for way more money, and you can choose what you work.
ionutDeluxe

Post by ionutDeluxe »

Deivy2free wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:55 am Why would you work for a company that pays 10 quid an hour, go to agency and they will keep you more busy for way more money, and you can choose what you work.
and when you take time off. I've been agency since 2015 and it'll take a seriously attractive deal for me to accept any of the offers I've had from those for whom I work.
NeriLorenz

Post by NeriLorenz »

It’s as simple as this. If you don’t like it move on to another job. Don’t want to sound arsey but that’s the reality.
SwarHiro

Post by SwarHiro »

NeriLorenz wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:01 am It’s as simple as this. If you don’t like it move on to another job. Don’t want to sound arsey but that’s the reality.
you don't sound arsey, I like my job I'm comfortable with it but I can't see why I should do the same job as them for less money
Deivy2free

Post by Deivy2free »

SwarHiro wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:01 am
NeriLorenz wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:01 am It’s as simple as this. If you don’t like it move on to another job. Don’t want to sound arsey but that’s the reality.
you don't sound arsey, I like my job I'm comfortable with it but I can't see why I should do the same job as them for less money
just ask question, if they say no then walk away.
But even then, really want 14 quid whilst there agencies paying way more. Obviously depending on your location and preference/ability to work
NeriLorenz

Post by NeriLorenz »

SwarHiro wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:01 am
you shouldn’t, you do the same job and in my view you’re just as important as the “full time” staff. Think the owner is being a bit of a c**t tbh.
ClauJan

Post by ClauJan »

Loads work out in the market, stand by your guns.
KellyMind

Post by KellyMind »

This isn't the one that doesn't have a bog either is it?

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”