What is the attraction of a paper map vs a Sat nav. I bought a truckers Atlas a year ago and have not used it once.

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Deivy2free

What is the attraction of a paper map vs a Sat nav. I bought a truckers Atlas a year ago and have not used it once.

Post by Deivy2free »

What is the attraction of a paper map vs a Sat nav. I bought a truckers Atlas a year ago and have not used it once. How are you meant to find a specific address, other than having an A to Z of every town in the country...which would be expensive, heavy and impractical, also you would need to keep purchasing new ones to stay updated. I do multidrop at the moment and it takes a minute to put a postcode in my truck sat nav, and the specific business address in Google maps. Doing this with an Atlas and an A to Z would take an age, plus I'd need to keep referring to it if the directions weren't straightforward.
Example Hillridge Road, Wigan WN5 0LS... got there no problem with a Sat Nav, this is what the Atlas has to offer...
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (218.98 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
PHIChrome

Re: What is the attraction of a paper map vs a Sat nav. I bought a truckers Atlas a year ago and have not used it once.

Post by PHIChrome »

Funny thing is I used to manage fine before they were invented 🤣🤣
NigeMuch

Re: What is the attraction of a paper map vs a Sat nav. I bought a truckers Atlas a year ago and have not used it once.

Post by NigeMuch »

PHIChrome wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:35 am Funny thing is I used to manage fine before they were invented 🤣🤣
as we all did, always ask if need be.
eddieMedi

Post by eddieMedi »

PHIChrome wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:35 am Funny thing is I used to manage fine before they were invented 🤣🤣
find a postman 👍
SimonoHi

Post by SimonoHi »

eddieMedi wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:36 am
find a postman 👍
there all stood outside the sorting office on strike 😂
IANORBINA

Post by IANORBINA »

eddieMedi wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:36 am
find a postman 👍
I always manage to ask the person that’s not form the area lol
88jimmarin

Post by 88jimmarin »

that’s grand but finding someone walking and able to speak English in the countryside in the south of Italy or any country for that matter may be a problem!
PHIChrome

Post by PHIChrome »

88jimmarin wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:41 am
that’s grand but finding someone walking and able to speak English in the countryside in the south of Italy or any country for that matter may be a problem!
well buy a Map then... like everyone delivers to Italy 🤣
88jimmarin

Post by 88jimmarin »

PHIChrome wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:41 am
maps are so yesteryear, times change and you have two choices. Change with the times or be lift behind. 😂
PHIChrome

Post by PHIChrome »

88jimmarin wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:42 am
PHIChrome wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:41 am

maps are so yesteryear, times change and you have two choices. Change with the times or be lift behind. 😂
did I say I'm still using them.. if you read my OP 🤣🤣🤣
olyserd44

Post by olyserd44 »

In the fire engine 😃
PHIChrome

Post by PHIChrome »

olyserd44 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:43 am
In the fire engine 😃
I've been driving class 1 since 89.... I joined fire service in 97.... and now I'm back to class 1... jeez evolution hey 🤣🤣
olyserd44

Post by olyserd44 »

PHIChrome wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:43 am
In the fire engine 😃
I've been driving class 1 since 89.... I joined fire service in 97.... and now I'm back to class 1... jeez evolution hey 🤣🤣
LOOK at me wanker is it 😁🤣 l was drive before the War is it 🤣🤣
PHIChrome

Post by PHIChrome »

olyserd44 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:44 am

In the fire engine 😃
during the war actually 🤣🤣🤣
olyserd44

Post by olyserd44 »

PHIChrome wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:44 am

Tidy 😂
olyserd44

Post by olyserd44 »

PHIChrome wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:44 am

Still use one. Even though l've succumbed to the built in Stat Nav. They are still a great source of info. BRIDGE heights being a bonus 🤣
AnthoChee

Post by AnthoChee »

Yehh because that's all you had
PHIChrome

Post by PHIChrome »

AnthoChee wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:46 am
Yehh because that's all you had
and your point is ????
jodieBrody

Post by jodieBrody »

There should be a box on the page where you put the post code 🤪
Gaz_Kenji

Post by Gaz_Kenji »

Never use satnav or atlas. Quick look on Google map's before I set off. Never had any issues. But I am doing rdc work
stev.agent

Post by stev.agent »

Out dated. Just like the folk that still use them. Atlases, dinosaurs and Eaton twin splitters should be confined to the history books.
TayBuzz

Post by TayBuzz »

stev.agent wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:53 am Out dated. Just like the folk that still use them. Atlases, dinosaurs and Eaton twin splitters should be confined to the history books.
what your trying to say is you don’t have a clue how to read a map, and can only get to your destination with a voice in a little box helping you along
stev.agent

Post by stev.agent »

TayBuzz wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:54 am
stev.agent wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:53 am Out dated. Just like the folk that still use them. Atlases, dinosaurs and Eaton twin splitters should be confined to the history books.
what your trying to say is you don’t have a clue how to read a map, and can only get to your destination with a voice in a little box helping you along
no, no. Don't be mistaken by my youthful good looks. 🤣. I'm old enough to remember a world without t##t-navs. So I can read maps perfectly well, we just don't need to anymore. Also no the sound is firmly off on mine hate the yapping f##krs, lastly I don't switch it on until I need to. I only use it to find exact addresses.
emmHorray

Post by emmHorray »

why do people make out that reading a map is hard? It really isn’t.
CaeLedger

Post by CaeLedger »

and if the truck changes gear for you
iorijohn25

Post by iorijohn25 »

emmHorray wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:55 am
old timers make out its hard when it's probably easiest thing in the world. It's basic geography it's not a skill at all.
TamBrace

Post by TamBrace »

iorijohn25 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:57 am

old timers make out its hard when it's probably easiest thing in the world. It's basic geography it's not a skill at all.
the skill is having a fag while making a cuppa and trying to get in the right lane 🤣🤣🤣🤣
emmHorray

Post by emmHorray »

iorijohn25 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:57 am

I was taught to read a map in secondary school 😂 but these old timers make out they’re the only ones who can do it
wallCONFIDENT

Post by wallCONFIDENT »

that’s exactly what he’s trying to say 🤣🤣
NealGreen

Post by NealGreen »

reaction time...
At least I can do both😆
japnote34

Post by japnote34 »

some day your technology will stop working and you’ll be thankful for outdated things such as a map
stev.agent

Post by stev.agent »

japnote34 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:08 am
some day your technology will stop working and you’ll be thankful for outdated things such as a map
no it won't, But if your hypothetical point were to come true. If the tech for Google maps goes down the tech at every shop, rdc, planners office pretty much everything goes down. So the day will be cancelled n I know my way home from anywhere.
wallCONFIDENT

Post by wallCONFIDENT »

stev.agent wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:10 am
no it won't, But if your hypothetical point were to come true. If the tech for Google maps goes down the tech at every shop, rdc, planners office pretty much everything goes down. So the day will be cancelled n I know my way home from anywhere.
was u in the house yir self last night board 🤣🤣🤣 making aw these comments
12.phbettisme

Post by 12.phbettisme »

an this is why you hit bridges every day.
stev.agent

Post by stev.agent »

12.phbettisme wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:14 am
no mate. I can read.
FFERRISON

Post by FFERRISON »

should be because there is no one about now that can use any of them lol
77eamove

Post by 77eamove »

you forgot the clutch brake.
wallCONFIDENT

Post by wallCONFIDENT »

what happens if you’ve no signal for your phone map? What happens if you somehow blow a fuse and your sat nav doesn’t work now nav phone nav nav?? Middle of no where down the borders or something like that? Map would be handy 🤣
AnthoChee

Post by AnthoChee »

wallCONFIDENT wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:41 am

what happens if you’ve no signal for your phone map? What happens if you somehow blow a fuse and your sat nav doesn’t work now nav phone nav nav?? Middle of no where down the borders or something like that? Map would be handy 🤣
I agree there good for road numbers but that's it
ChrisSmug

Post by ChrisSmug »

stev.agent wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:15 am
12.phbettisme wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:14 am
no mate. I can read.
you missed the no power steering, and no air lift, now wind the loaded trailer up or down & roping n sheeting
Ryantanell

Post by Ryantanell »

I just use google maps, check the route with Phillips navigator to make sure no low bridges and away I go. Fuck spending 400 quid on a hgv sat nav, I don’t spend that on a car 😂 plus you’ll learn routes better and remember more
dann_mega

Post by dann_mega »

Ryantanell wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:45 am I just use google maps, check the route with Phillips navigator to make sure no low bridges and away I go. Fuck spending 400 quid on a hgv sat nav, I don’t spend that on a car 😂 plus you’ll learn routes better and remember more
just been on App Store for phillips navigator. Can’t find it
Ryantanell

Post by Ryantanell »

dann_mega wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:47 am
Ryantanell wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:45 am I just use google maps, check the route with Phillips navigator to make sure no low bridges and away I go. Fuck spending 400 quid on a hgv sat nav, I don’t spend that on a car 😂 plus you’ll learn routes better and remember more
not sure if you’re taking the piss of being serious 😂
dann_mega

Post by dann_mega »

Ryantanell wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:47 am
I was being serious mate. I will try anything that helps and never slag another trucker off. I have respect mate
Ryantanell

Post by Ryantanell »

I was being serious mate. I will try anything that helps and never slag another trucker off. I have respect mate
try Amazon or WH Smith’s for a Phillips navigator 👍
philipYoung

Post by philipYoung »

Ryantanell wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:48 am

try Amazon or WH Smith’s for a Phillips navigator 👍
I’m not sure either 🤣
KellyMind

Post by KellyMind »

phillips navigator is the old school truckers atlas, shows weight restrictions and height restrictions so find your route on google maps, find the page on phillips navigator to check your route an your away
KHANLinkin

Post by KHANLinkin »

Download Truck Lords. It's free and ok enough for a free app
tonyGlossy

Post by tonyGlossy »

here mate..
Attachments
Photo.jpg
Photo.jpg (101.01 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
MooneKid

Post by MooneKid »

I use both, if its somewhere I've not been before, I'll look at the atlas and roughly plan my trip. Makes it easier when I use the sat nav cause ive got a rough idea of the roads to go incase the sat nav shits itself
unswomber44

Post by unswomber44 »

Hope you enjoyed your visit to my town, or what's left of it haha
gordBook

Post by gordBook »

I use Google maps to see where I'm going and then an atlas to find the best route. Best thing is you see the low bridges and weight limits and plan your route accordingly
MickFollow

Post by MickFollow »

You need at least an 8 digit grid reference 😬
JepWave

Post by JepWave »

If you have a diversion and not sure of the area, a map is very useful ( if you know how to read one of course)
alanKurisu

Post by alanKurisu »

A paper map is more for if your sat nav goes down you can plan a route to avoid bridges etc..
PatMarcs

Post by PatMarcs »

Oh how did we survive b4 satnavs??
simpline74

Post by simpline74 »

PatMarcs wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:59 am Oh how did we survive b4 satnavs??
how did we survive before Roads? 🤣
Leechozzi8

Post by Leechozzi8 »

get to the town and there was always a milkman or postman knocking about to give you directions
PatMarcs

Post by PatMarcs »

Leechozzi8 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:01 am
get to the town and there was always a milkman or postman knocking about to give you directions
trouble is it was always left at this pub next right after that pub etc etc. No bloody pubs left now
Leechozzi8

Post by Leechozzi8 »

PatMarcs wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:01 am
Leechozzi8 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:01 am
trouble is it was always left at this pub next right after that pub etc etc. No bloody pubs left now
your right there pal
maguiRun

Post by maguiRun »

Reading a map is much easier. All ways read a map.
96mabboss

Post by 96mabboss »

Me too, used to stop and go into nearest paper shop and ask.....
GaryAuthor

Post by GaryAuthor »

To be fair I seem to be using a map less & less each year. Only time I seem to need use mine is capital city’s or trying find little villages.
boanKing

Post by boanKing »

You probably couldn't drive one
GaryPower

Post by GaryPower »

Good job you haven't had to do a delivery in the 2% of the country where there is no signal then
adrianZest

Post by adrianZest »

Get a job like mine 🙂 I know where all of our 80ish customers are so there's no need for a sat nav or a map 😋
WHITTNESS

Post by WHITTNESS »

It’s each to their own if you prefer to use an atlas or a sat nav, you do need one other vital tool though...common sense
Leechozzi8

Post by Leechozzi8 »

WHITTNESS wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:11 am It’s each to their own if you prefer to use an atlas or a sat nav, you do need one other vital tool though...common sense
yes and unfortunately you cant buy that
tinsTinman

Post by tinsTinman »

WHITTNESS wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:11 am It’s each to their own if you prefer to use an atlas or a sat nav, you do need one other vital tool though...common sense
doesn't exist there's sense and there's nonsense that's it no derivatives no flowery precious glossing of it, sense or nonsense. 🤦‍♂️
KERROccur

Post by KERROccur »

I still prefer the old school way. Never leave home with my Compass and sextant
ChrisBob

Post by ChrisBob »

KERROccur wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:16 am I still prefer the old school way. Never leave home with my Compass and sextant
that's why I do nights. Use the stars
dysonVamp

Post by dysonVamp »

ChrisBob wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:17 am
KERROccur wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:16 am I still prefer the old school way. Never leave home with my Compass and sextant
or the diversion signs
KERROccur

Post by KERROccur »

dysonVamp wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:17 am
or the diversion signs
same thing when you hit ‘em with the full beams
TimSpunky

Post by TimSpunky »

finally someone else! I used to stick my head out the window, followed the smell from the wind
clemeHann

Post by clemeHann »

how you finding North Star at the day?

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”