Hi I’m looking at buying a truck of my own, does anyone know what insurance costs could roughly be for someone under

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
ALBU_Chrono

Hi I’m looking at buying a truck of my own, does anyone know what insurance costs could roughly be for someone under

Post by ALBU_Chrono »

Hi I’m looking at buying a truck of my own, does anyone know what insurance costs could roughly be for someone under the age of 25 (I’m 21) or if I would get insured at all?
Not 100% sure if I’d be better looking at an artic or rigid for owner operator work either. Would there be much difference in insurance? What type of work pays best? Etc. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
HELENON10

Re: Hi I’m looking at buying a truck of my own, does anyone know what insurance costs could roughly be for someone under

Post by HELENON10 »

I’ve been told that artics cost a lot more to insure.
We have our rigid on a fleet policy for over 25s and it costs about £2k for the year atm, that’s a Merc though
evansMORE

Re: Hi I’m looking at buying a truck of my own, does anyone know what insurance costs could roughly be for someone under

Post by evansMORE »

HELENON10 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:48 pm I’ve been told that artics cost a lot more to insure.
We have our rigid on a fleet policy for over 25s and it costs about £2k for the year atm, that’s a Merc though
on theboff chance do you know if a rigid in drawbar spec be more than a standard rigid?
HELENON10

Post by HELENON10 »

evansMORE wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:49 pm
HELENON10 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:48 pm I’ve been told that artics cost a lot more to insure.
on theboff chance do you know if a rigid in drawbar spec be more than a standard rigid?
I’d assume it would be similar to artic mate but not 100% sure
evansMORE

Post by evansMORE »

HELENON10 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:49 pm
evansMORE wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:49 pm
I’d assume it would be similar to artic mate but not 100% sure
Thanks, was just a thought when you said a rigid is usually cheaper
99.scottends

Post by 99.scottends »

If you want to become an owner driver main thing you are going to need is Common Sense. You need to speak to an insurance company that can answer your questions correctly
12AndClear

Post by 12AndClear »

99.scottends wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:50 pm If you want to become an owner driver main thing you are going to need is Common Sense. You need to speak to an insurance company that can answer your questions correctly
it takes a few years in the game as a driver first. At 21 years…brave man.
99.scottends

Post by 99.scottends »

12AndClear wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:50 pm
99.scottends wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:50 pm If you want to become an owner driver main thing you are going to need is Common Sense. You need to speak to an insurance company that can answer your questions correctly
it takes a few years in the game as a driver first. At 21 years…brave man.
Silly man never seen so many trucks for sale and people advertising for work. When trucks are for sale why are they so cheap? Anybody with any common sense would work it out
12AndClear

Post by 12AndClear »

Aged 21…they don’t like people under 25 years. You might be lucky.
LayGazette

Post by LayGazette »

I can honestly say I made more when I operated a 12.5 ton vehicle on general haulage, but if you have ambition to own a bigger vehicle go for it, but do your homework beforehand...good luck.
garymdom.03

Post by garymdom.03 »

Just received a quote for my insurance
5900£ for motor, git, publics and employers liability with European cover as well for a 40t artic
kevinPONG

Post by kevinPONG »

garymdom.03 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:52 pm Just received a quote for my insurance
5900£ for motor, git, publics and employers liability with European cover as well for a 40t artic
which insurance?
garymdom.03

Post by garymdom.03 »

kevinPONG wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:53 pm
garymdom.03 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:52 pm Just received a quote for my insurance
which insurance?
Avis 😬😬😬😬
Paul+Mister

Post by Paul+Mister »

which insurance?
try Colin Stephens best about
DeerinQuick

Post by DeerinQuick »

which insurance?
I can help in securing good terms on your truck insurance. I've spent 12 years on the truck insurance industry and have some good relationships with insurers
DeerinQuick

Post by DeerinQuick »

I've sent you a private message mate
duncanElite

Post by duncanElite »

You need to spend a few years in a job doing what you want to specialize in, and just take on board everything that goes on, from the tyre supplier to the MPG of the truck, along with everything else connected to this crazy game, it ain't for the feint hearted and brass bollox are crucial 🤔
4nickeybest

Post by 4nickeybest »

Your going to need a transport manager that will cost you money your only 21 just hope you have lots of money with every thing possible a quarter of a million in the bank but good luck you possible will need it 👍
Walkerr_Ten

Post by Walkerr_Ten »

You will get insured but be prepared to fork out a few quid, I started when I was 22 and there still trying to shaft me on price at 24. Think I was about 9k my first year
rossiQuasi

Post by rossiQuasi »

Walkerr_Ten wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:56 pm You will get insured but be prepared to fork out a few quid, I started when I was 22 and there still trying to shaft me on price at 24. Think I was about 9k my first year
44 there’s no way your 24 🤦🏻‍♂️
Walkerr_Ten

Post by Walkerr_Ten »

rossiQuasi wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:56 pm
Walkerr_Ten wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:56 pm You will get insured but be prepared to fork out a few quid, I started when I was 22 and there still trying to shaft me on price at 24. Think I was about 9k my first year
44 there’s no way your 24 🤦🏻‍♂️
back turns 62 the mora, knees 47th birthday on Sunday 🤣
BENNIERR

Post by BENNIERR »

Drive for someone else until your 25..
cookeHonda

Post by cookeHonda »

Hi, give a call on this number 01952570039 when you can and we’ll chat through insurance options
Compare HGV Insurance
hibbLummo

Post by hibbLummo »

Good luck.
Mine wouldn’t touch anybody under 30 until I had 2 years on my own first.
That’s me at 32/33 yo. I’m 35 now with 3 n half year behind me and now any driver over 25.
Still a fortune and if you want under 25 they either won’t touch you or it’s not worth having.
hibbLummo

Post by hibbLummo »

But on another note. Now ain’t a good time to start up. Give it 6-12 month and see how things play out.
John.Network

Post by John.Network »

Young owner driver here talking from experience.
I started with 1 truck at 24, I was paying around £9,000 annually. This was inclusive of PL and a basic GIT combined policy.
cassVampp

Post by cassVampp »

Looked into it years ago, not worth it, I made 62k last Yr, home every night, couple times a wk i don't even drive I sit in team room and watch movies and hit work gym, no expenses no overheads and u ain't living in a box all wk shitting in a box while someone rodgering your mrs, there is well paid jobs out there, I am with a fantastic company plenty time with kids, no lifting or loading or unloading, or curtain pulling, am basically a shuttle service and it's last job I will ever do, industry is saturated again with new drivers, get in with a parcel company or supermarket or u been doing real truck driving and never be home and make peanuts
venagallCover

Post by venagallCover »

I tried at 21 I first checked insurance before applying for the o licence just to make sure and I couldn’t get insurance at all
Pricemerr44

Post by Pricemerr44 »

Best ask other owners for money side of it and go from there..
Weigh everything up, new truck to and old truck. Etc
13_faheyewer

Post by 13_faheyewer »

I paid £8k first year for me 35yrs experience, and my son 23 with 3 years, not long renewed and they got it down to just over £5k.
DavisBuff

Post by DavisBuff »

iainesysMO wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:02 pm Don't do it best advice
I guess sharing a name is enough of a reliable source to take advice 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣
iainesysMO

Post by iainesysMO »

DavisBuff wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:03 pm
iainesysMO wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:02 pm Don't do it best advice
I guess sharing a name is enough of a reliable source to take advice 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣
eh? It was a stab at us sharing the same. I was reading through as eventually I have the same intention
Hoffi.com

Post by Hoffi.com »

Broadsure directed
BUT DONT DO IT JUST DONT YOULL REGRET BEING AN OWNER DRIVER TRUST ME I LASTED 3& half years never again!!!!!!
77brianPlanet

Post by 77brianPlanet »

10k a year for 3, all drivers gotta be over 25, git, employers liability, and public
kennyMp

Post by kennyMp »

Good luck, I was thinking about doing the same but I’m only 24 and getting quotes of 10k a year to Insure a rigid and that’s just the tip of the iceberg, try tarmac or Hanson they do an owner operator scheme.
kevin_evan

Post by kevin_evan »

I’m 19 and it costs us £15k a year in MOTOR, PL, GIT and EL
Truck is an 18 plate Renault
I honestly wouldn’t bother becoming an owner driver till you’re over 25 and then the insurance will drop down to around 6k a year depending on the broker.
You also have to factor in the cost of your transport manager (unless you have it yourself) the money required for financial standing (£8,000 for the first lorry) and most probably an operating centre as well to park the lorry. As well as all of that you’ll most probably spend around £1,000 on application fees, advertising in the local and application fees paid to the TC
TOIVORYON

Post by TOIVORYON »

Industry has changed insurance wise. Insurers not to keen on people under 21. Plenty of options 21+ but only really 3 insurance if companies doing under 21, people on here are happy to help 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
DeerinQuick

Post by DeerinQuick »

If anybody is looking for truck insurance and are currently struggling to get a good price, I'd like to help.
I've specialized in truck, GIT and liability for 12+ years and I have some good relationships with insurers.
If anyone is interested please send me an email to [email protected] with your contact details, or a private message, and I'll be happy to help
Thanks
OllieRise

Post by OllieRise »

Don't even think about it relax and enjoy family life by yourself let someone else waste there money drive somebody elseses vehicles when weekend comes time off not so with your own owner driver not all it makes out to be
VANCasual

Post by VANCasual »

Work in cargo transportation is not easy, I will not argue. But in any other activity there are disadvantages. It's just that everyone should do their own thing and he will be happy.

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”