So nearly a year after passing my Class 1. I've applied for 70-80 jobs online and dropped my CV in at numerous local

Ads by truck drivers looking for work
GleachMoff

So nearly a year after passing my Class 1. I've applied for 70-80 jobs online and dropped my CV in at numerous local

Post by GleachMoff »

So nearly a year after passing my Class 1, I've decided to give up looking for HGV work. I've applied for 70-80 jobs online and dropped my CV in at numerous local haulage companies and heard nothing back.
The closest I got to work was with Evri through an agency who sent me for an assessment on a day they didn't do assessments, after that Evri changed from taking new passes to requiring 3 months experience.
Having now not drove since my test I feel I'd fail any assessments. Luckily I didn't pay for my training so I haven't lost money, just frustrating more than anything. Any suggestion where to apply or advice please?
robbHoop10

Re: So nearly a year after passing my Class 1. I've applied for 70-80 jobs online and dropped my CV in at numerous local

Post by robbHoop10 »

Why not do some class 2 work? The money isn’t that different in some places
AndreNight

Re: So nearly a year after passing my Class 1. I've applied for 70-80 jobs online and dropped my CV in at numerous local

Post by AndreNight »

robbHoop10 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:17 pm Why not do some class 2 work? The money isn’t that different in some places
deffo recommend
GleachMoff

Post by GleachMoff »

robbHoop10 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:17 pm Why not do some class 2 work? The money isn’t that different in some places
I've applied for class 2 aswell as class 1 but nothing back so far.
robbHoop10

Post by robbHoop10 »

GleachMoff wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:18 pm
I've applied for class 2 aswell as class 1 but nothing back so far.
try skip companies, bin rounds either council or private trade waste,
Pallet companies,
Xpo/gxo
If you’re nervous about starting class 1 now due to the time you haven’t been in one then do class 2. No coupling up etc.
mattzPost

Post by mattzPost »

Hi Mate, I don't know how old you are, or what experience you have, but have you tried going for jobs with firms that run smaller vehicles as well as arctics?? It may be entry into the business and as you already have a class 1 licence it should only be a matter of time before you get your chance...Don't give up there are opportunities out there...Good luck.
DBCrossed

Post by DBCrossed »

mattzPost wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:19 pm Hi Mate, I don't know how old you are, or what experience you have, but have you tried going for jobs with firms that run smaller vehicles as well as arctics?? It may be entry into the business and as you already have a class 1 licence it should only be a matter of time before you get your chance...Don't give up there are opportunities out there...Good luck.
ye that’s what I’ve had to do since I’m 19 no one will insure me so I’m driving vans to start off then I’ll be in 7.5 ton then upwards from that helps learn the road network
mattzPost

Post by mattzPost »

DBCrossed wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:22 pm
mattzPost wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:19 pm Hi Mate, I don't know how old you are, or what experience you have, but have you tried going for jobs with firms that run smaller vehicles as well as arctics?? It may be entry into the business and as you already have a class 1 licence it should only be a matter of time before you get your chance...Don't give up there are opportunities out there...Good luck.
ye that’s what I’ve had to do since I’m 19 no one will insure me so I’m driving vans to start off then I’ll be in 7.5 ton then upwards from that helps learn the road network
think i was 23 when I started to drive for a living. My first vehicle was Ford Courier and I just worked my way through to 7.5t in just over a year. Worked with those vehicles for 13 years going around UK & Europe, & it's only last year that I passed my class1. I think the reason I was given the chance is because I had the experience of the job, just not the vehicle.
DBCrossed

Post by DBCrossed »

mattzPost wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:22 pm
DBCrossed wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:22 pm
think i was 23 when I started to drive for a living. My first vehicle was Ford Courier and I just worked my way through to 7.5t in just over a year. Worked with those vehicles for 13 years going around UK & Europe, & it's only last year that I passed my class1. I think the reason I was given the chance is because I had the experience of the job, just not the vehicle.
when u know the road network and those sort of things it’s half of the battle rest of it is just getting used to and learning the vehicle you are driving in my opinion anyway
billxNarrative

Post by billxNarrative »

Where are you based? There is work out there, just gotta get ur foot in the door. Feel like applying online is virtually pointless, the other way I’ve found is to send my cv via Facebook messenger, that seems to get replies
AndreNight

Post by AndreNight »

billxNarrative wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:24 pm Where are you based? There is work out there, just gotta get ur foot in the door. Feel like applying online is virtually pointless, the other way I’ve found is to send my cv via Facebook messenger, that seems to get replies
I got my job through Facebook messenger! Just sent the company a quick message and included my CV 😀
billxNarrative

Post by billxNarrative »

AndreNight wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:24 pm
billxNarrative wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:24 pm Where are you based? There is work out there, just gotta get ur foot in the door. Feel like applying online is virtually pointless, the other way I’ve found is to send my cv via Facebook messenger, that seems to get replies
I got my job through Facebook messenger! Just sent the company a quick message and included my CV 😀
I’ve applied to 30-40 on indeed and got nothing, 2 or 3 on messenger and I’ve got an interview 5 mins up the road 👍
AndreNight

Post by AndreNight »

billxNarrative wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:25 pm
AndreNight wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:24 pm
I’ve applied to 30-40 on indeed and got nothing, 2 or 3 on messenger and I’ve got an interview 5 mins up the road 👍
Awesome 👏🏻
Rich.Sublime

Post by Rich.Sublime »

Tried ringing around smaller family run firms who don’t usually post online, I rang one near mine an got a job doin class one with oversized loads as a new pass. An the money is better than the big firms
22stevenomzo

Post by 22stevenomzo »

Don’t worry mate keep trying. I passed my class 1 over a year ago and the company I’m with just got their first lorry and I was able to start. The start isn’t the easiest but once your through. Your sorted.
Yalle+Byte

Post by Yalle+Byte »

If you've applied to 80 jobs and heard nothing back I'd probably hazard a guess and say there's something wrong with your CV.
GleachMoff

Post by GleachMoff »

Yalle+Byte wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:30 pm If you've applied to 80 jobs and heard nothing back I'd probably hazard a guess and say there's something wrong with your CV.
my CV was done by someone who used to oversee and compile CV's for their job.
Yalle+Byte

Post by Yalle+Byte »

GleachMoff wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:31 pm
Yalle+Byte wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:30 pm If you've applied to 80 jobs and heard nothing back I'd probably hazard a guess and say there's something wrong with your CV.
that doesn't mean anything.. you could have 3 different jobs a year.. or you've only ever flipped burgers in McDonald's all your life. The problem might not be how its written... but the content of it.
kevingree19

Post by kevingree19 »

have a look at OpenAI chatgbt that can do some amazing shit for rewriting cv's
GleachMoff

Post by GleachMoff »

kevingree19 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:32 pm
have a look at OpenAI chatgbt that can do some amazing shit for rewriting cv's
My CV is fine, I've worked as a delivery driver the past 20 years.
DINSTalented

Post by DINSTalented »

I did my class 1 with mainstream I applied for a few jobs and got knocked back I’m now a sweeper driver and I love it class 1 isn’t everything don’t give up
sherrJava

Post by sherrJava »

know how you feel pal iv got the same problem now days its not what you it who you know whos willing to give you that chance
HOLDVIEW

Post by HOLDVIEW »

Try again in autumn when everyone's taking on for the Christmas rush
65.trevosheer

Post by 65.trevosheer »

HOLDVIEW wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:34 pm Try again in autumn when everyone's taking on for the Christmas rush
If it's anything like last year when I passed my test at the end of October it will be as dead as a doornail.
HOLDVIEW

Post by HOLDVIEW »

65.trevosheer wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:35 pm
HOLDVIEW wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:34 pm Try again in autumn when everyone's taking on for the Christmas rush
If it's anything like last year when I passed my test at the end of October it will be as dead as a doornail.
it was decent where I am, maybe have to throw the net a bit wider
GleachMoff

Post by GleachMoff »

anselleriq_45 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:36 pm Have you driven a class 2 truck?
no driven anything bigger than a van, I'm more than happy to start off in class 2 and build up
anselleriq_45

Post by anselleriq_45 »

GleachMoff wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:36 pm
anselleriq_45 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:36 pm Have you driven a class 2 truck?
no driven anything bigger than a van, I'm more than happy to start off in class 2 and build up
that’s your ticket.. I would only look at jobs where they have class1 wagons as well as 2’s.. it only takes a driver to not turn in and you’ll get moved up onto an artic.
JAY.Letter

Post by JAY.Letter »

Before you do. Try looking far and wide for companies that have in house driver training dept as they are the companies more likely to take on new passes as the insurance works better for them
glennBreeze

Post by glennBreeze »

jobs at Booker and Best Food mate. mention my name when applying and on new starter form
https://jobsbookercareers.com/jobs/search
GleachMoff

Post by GleachMoff »

glennBreeze wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:38 pm jobs at Booker and Best Food mate. mention my name when applying and on new starter form
I shall give that go, thank you.
glennBreeze

Post by glennBreeze »

GleachMoff wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:39 pm
glennBreeze wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:38 pm jobs at Booker and Best Food mate. mention my name when applying and on new starter form
I shall give that go, thank you.
even if you do class 2 its great money with booker. I'm at best food on 42k
BOBEXCI88

Post by BOBEXCI88 »

Probably about 20 applications in and heard back with 2 rejections.
leigham_one

Post by leigham_one »

Unfortunately there wasn't such a big shortage of drivers and the crap press made out to believe also they didn't mention insurance premiums for companies you'll always have the licence to fall back on and I'm sure they'll be something out there
End of the day you have bills to pay so good luck
kevingree19

Post by kevingree19 »

leigham_one wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:42 pm Unfortunately there wasn't such a big shortage of drivers and the crap press made out to believe also they didn't mention insurance premiums for companies you'll always have the licence to fall back on and I'm sure they'll be something out there
End of the day you have bills to pay so good luck
just a conspiracy theory, the shortage was created by the eastern European trucks leaving Britain in the wake of Brexit through fear of what will happen, now they are back in their thousands taking cheap shunts and back loads thus meaning companies are using them for cheaper haulage as opposed to our own. Sad but true. As for insurance they raise and lower goalposts in accordance to demand, if the demand isn't there and many drivers looking they will hike the requirements if shit hits the fan those requirements get removed.
GleachMoff

Post by GleachMoff »

PaulaniBug wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:43 pm We’re about are you located
Warrington, Cheshire.
GleachMoff

Post by GleachMoff »

downeCinco wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:44 pm Try mark Thompson transport
dropped a CV off there a few weeks back, nothing so far
Doig_Reporter

Post by Doig_Reporter »

Have you tried hgv recovery companies?
GleachMoff

Post by GleachMoff »

Doig_Reporter wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:45 pm Have you tried hgv recovery companies?
I haven't tbh, although I did try for the AA on indeed but no others.
Doig_Reporter

Post by Doig_Reporter »

GleachMoff wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:45 pm
Doig_Reporter wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:45 pm Have you tried hgv recovery companies?
forget indeed, walk into the private companies with a cv, I did in Kidderminster and got a job a job within a week, recovery companies I've delivered cars to mostly say they can't get enough drivers
93obrieneson

Post by 93obrieneson »

GleachMoff wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:45 pm
recovery companies are always crying out for drivers, and most will take anyone, regardless of experience,
I started in recovery, on class 2 SLA slide bed truck, wasn't there long though, job didn't suit me and hours were not ideal for my home life, luckily a local company were happy taking new passes so I went there, been there ever since, 2 years on the class 2 with them, doing my class 1 in 2 weeks then I'll see what's out there or stay put not sure yet
KITCHURELL

Post by KITCHURELL »

We are looking to recruit Class 1 Drivers for both our Bulk and Low loader divisions for our depots across the country. Willingness to work and a can do attitude is a must. Full training can be provided. For more information please email [email protected] or call 01969622193
jimenixFan

Post by jimenixFan »

Just get a job driving anything even a van and start from there as
For experience don’t tell them unless asked
robbHoop10

Post by robbHoop10 »

jimenixFan wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:48 pm Just get a job driving anything even a van and start from there as
so when he lies and says he has experience and they put him in an artic… how do u blag that?
jimenixFan

Post by jimenixFan »

robbHoop10 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:48 pm
jimenixFan wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:48 pm Just get a job driving anything even a van and start from there as
so when he lies and says he has experience and they put him in an artic… how do u blag that?
I’m not saying lie I’m saying don’t ask don’t tell the minute folk even mutter the word new pass most folks judgement is clouded so am merely saying
chatt_Hatter

Post by chatt_Hatter »

Who done your training for free Mate?
08.wallerdoMo

Post by 08.wallerdoMo »

Theirs work out there for £10 an hour 🤣🤣🤣
robbHoop10

Post by robbHoop10 »

08.wallerdoMo wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:51 pm Theirs work out there for £10 an hour 🤣🤣🤣
£10.42 😉
Overton+Hi

Post by Overton+Hi »

I applied for around 100 jobs in a week and you only applied for less than this over a year? I think there might be a different issue
44amyouseys

Post by 44amyouseys »

Overton+Hi wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:52 pm I applied for around 100 jobs in a week and you only applied for less than this over a year? I think there might be a different issue
f**king hell surprised you even found a hundred jobs in a week 🤣. Gotta remember it's very location dependent if you are close to major road networks there will be plenty to try if your not then there won't be anywhere near as many
Overton+Hi

Post by Overton+Hi »

44amyouseys wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:53 pm
Overton+Hi wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:52 pm I applied for around 100 jobs in a week and you only applied for less than this over a year? I think there might be a different issue
f**king hell surprised you even found a hundred jobs in a week 🤣. Gotta remember it's very location dependent if you are close to major road networks there will be plenty to try if your not then there won't be anywhere near as many
of course. But I went on the major job websites and I still get emails and phone calls now offering me interview dates even though I took my new job around 6 weeks ago. So yeah I'm being offered work even though I've not looked for that long. I'm also a new pass
GleachMoff

Post by GleachMoff »

I've applied for everything that's come up in my area within a 30 Mile radius, and dropped my CV off to around 20-25 local haulage companies. Not sure where you live but I guess there must be a massive shortage of drivers if 100s of jobs a week are coming up in your area.
Overton+Hi

Post by Overton+Hi »

GleachMoff wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:54 pm
I've applied for everything that's come up in my area within a 30 Mile radius, and dropped my CV off to around 20-25 local haulage companies. Not sure where you live but I guess there must be a massive shortage of drivers if 100s of jobs a week are coming up in your area.
from what I can gather, the shortage of drivers isn't anywhere near as drastic as the media were making out. I think that's why new passers were struggling? I'm aware of how lucky I am to have my position but like I said the work is out there if you're flexible
KINGSTAFFO

Post by KINGSTAFFO »

Try DHL, it's a big company. I'm a new class 1 pass, they gave me a chance. You should try. Don't let yourself down!
blox.Prime

Post by blox.Prime »

Have tryed agency? Soon I passed last March I was on agency and working. Got to try loads different types of work and since found job I enjoy threw agency now direct with company and I'm on class 2 work and pulling good wage around £750 take home a week on road maintenance
JodieGrody

Post by JodieGrody »

Join more agencies I signed up to 6 then someone said try driver hire who are national they are very proactive up here, started class 2 for 2 weeks took a 7.5t because I knew the company and thought why not then got out on class 1 didn’t cock it up now they keep offering class 1 but as said money not that different and it gets you experience.
seann+Faith

Post by seann+Faith »

Same predicament as me I hadn't driven an artic since I passed my test last October finally got an assessment the other week at Asda but failed on the reverse.
Looks like I will be stuck on the buses for the foreseeable 😬
baberJiggy

Post by baberJiggy »

seann+Faith wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:57 pm Same predicament as me I hadn't driven an artic since I passed my test last October finally got an assessment the other week at Asda but failed on the reverse.
Looks like I will be stuck on the buses for the foreseeable 😬
i think the asda assessment requires a blind side reverse they do make it as difficult as possible.
Phoenix_Peter

Post by Phoenix_Peter »

Aw jenkinson is good for new starters
WATERIC.Jr

Post by WATERIC.Jr »

Sometimes they take the piss other day I got a phone call from a company that I applied to in December
griffinorMS

Post by griffinorMS »

Don’t be downhearted, I have got many contacts in this industry and everyone has said that they are struggling.
I too have had intermittent work since start of November when it should have been the industry’s busiest time.
The ports have said they were 35 to 40% capacity down on a normal week and usually they work at 25% over in November! They are still not much better now in April.
The one biggest area that is still moving product is the food industry but if dealing with imports, that’s still heavily down from normal.
I know some owner drivers that have hung their keys, I know owners who are downsizing their fleet, I know of a few companies that have gone under with some of their drivers who are experienced still looking for work themselves.
It will pick up, but not sure when. I spoke to one company 3 weeks ago had 1 job available and they had to go through over 300 applications.
As I say, don’t be downhearted and think it’s you, the industry is currently struggling. Keep applying, take your CV to companies directly. Sign up to agencies that take new starters and you may at start get only one day here and there but you will build up experience. Call up companies directly and then call back in a month to see if anything has changed. You have to keep chasing unfortunately.
I’m too far away from you Mate in Warrington (I read the comments before posting) as I’m based in Kent. But I do wish you well, and a great deal of luck at the moment. There are jobs but at this moment in time it’s right place right time.
76paullopex

Post by 76paullopex »

The problem is that you’re missing experience driving commercially. Even in a 3.5 ton curtain sider van you’re still getting relevant experience of the industry, pallets, forklift drivers, warehouses and yards etc etc. Mate at the end of the day, if you want to drive HGVs you have to put in the time at the bottom end. Employers want familiarity of their industry before they employ someone. Don’t give up!
GleachMoff

Post by GleachMoff »

76paullopex wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:59 pm The problem is that you’re missing experience driving commercially. Even in a 3.5 ton curtain sider van you’re still getting relevant experience of the industry, pallets, forklift drivers, warehouses and yards etc etc. Mate at the end of the day, if you want to drive HGVs you have to put in the time at the bottom end. Employers want familiarity of their industry before they employ someone. Don’t give up!
Ive driven a delivery van for Tesco for the past 20 years
76paullopex

Post by 76paullopex »

GleachMoff wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:00 pm
76paullopex wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:59 pm The problem is that you’re missing experience driving commercially. Even in a 3.5 ton curtain sider van you’re still getting relevant experience of the industry, pallets, forklift drivers, warehouses and yards etc etc. Mate at the end of the day, if you want to drive HGVs you have to put in the time at the bottom end. Employers want familiarity of their industry before they employ someone. Don’t give up!
Ive driven a delivery van for Tesco for the past 20 years
sounds like enough experience to me, i wouldn’t give up on what you’ve emotionally invested in! Just takes one bit of luck / right place at the right time
WaynezerKing

Post by WaynezerKing »

Here's what i did: i signed up with an agency took anything going even class 2 work and van work, eventually got given some class 1 work and just done the last 2 weeks working for the same company class 1 and I've put my name down for full time work with that company. Never give up hope, it will happen eventually. You just have to stick at it and take what ever you can to show your determination
MalconnStud

Post by MalconnStud »

Tried XPO Logistics?
Where you based? B&M in Bedfordshire take on new passes and offer a decent rate
I’m constantly getting calls, texts and emails about jobs in my local area
nicklin_Kylin

Post by nicklin_Kylin »

MalconnStud wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:01 pm Tried XPO Logistics?
Where you based? B&M in Bedfordshire take on new passes and offer a decent rate
I’m constantly getting calls, texts and emails about jobs in my local area
B&M use SP training. They had 200 responses to a recent advert. I am with SP, they told me to apply and the link didn't work. Called SP and it was because of the amount of people applying.
harpeller47

Post by harpeller47 »

Its been really tough for me having held a class 2 for 9 years and had my class 1 for 8 months been getting 2 or 3 days work a week with class 1 through a agency I am thinking another 4 months and I would have driven class 1 for 1 year then It puts me in a better position to look elsewhere its really quiet for hgv work at the moment but in 1 or 2 months time drivers will be on there holidays and cover will need to be provided so during the summertime work should be plenty.
Attachments
Photo.jpg
Photo.jpg (370.42 KiB) Viewed 884 times
ChurchLead

Post by ChurchLead »

Gxo do co-op and they take new passes and maritime do too, I’m with a container company and they take new passes
JulieeZierr

Post by JulieeZierr »

Wow what area do you live in. From the second I passed I got asked by local companies on a regular basis (I own my own removals company but with vans not trucks).

Return to “HGV truck drivers looking for work | Employment wanted”