They gave me a unit with driver facing camera. Which I refused to drive. They argue that's it's legal to have driver

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
RADPEEL

Re: They gave me a unit with driver facing camera. Which I refused to drive. They argue that's it's legal to have driver

Post by RADPEEL »

iannichoJR wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:47 pm
RADPEEL wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:46 pm
iannichoJR wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:46 pm

Define “doing something you’re not meant to”.
Because your employer’s definition of that will probably be different to yours.
Not wearing a seatbelt, being on the phone, eating whilst driving. Things like that. We’re all guilty of it at some stage
“Eating while driving”!!?
And you’re ok with them using a camera to pick you up on something like that?
… wow.
Everything I’ve stated is illegal to do whilst driving so why not 🤷‍♂️ We’ve all done it. Some companies are more lenient than others, just depends on how pathetic they want to be!
iannichoJR

Re: They gave me a unit with driver facing camera. Which I refused to drive. They argue that's it's legal to have driver

Post by iannichoJR »

RADPEEL wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:47 pm

Not wearing a seatbelt, being on the phone, eating whilst driving. Things like that. We’re all guilty of it at some stage
… wow.
Everything I’ve stated is illegal to do whilst driving so why not 🤷‍♂️ We’ve all done it. Some companies are more lenient than others, just depends on how pathetic they want to be!
I’d like to see our planners’ reactions if I had to pull over every time I felt like pulling a sandwich out of the fridge, or felt “a bit of a sneeze” coming on.
Pretty sure they’d disable that camera themselves within a week.
iannichoJR

Post by iannichoJR »

… wow.
When every forklift driver has an inward facing camera, every planner has a live-link to the webcam above his screen, every transport manager has a camera I can access in the corner of his office, pointing at his workplace, when the CEO agrees to cameras in the boardroom - then I might go along with this crap.
Until then - it’s a handy place to hang my hat.
RADPEEL

Post by RADPEEL »

iannichoJR wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:48 pm

… wow.
When every forklift driver has an inward facing camera, every planner has a live-link to the webcam above his screen, every transport manager has a camera I can access in the corner of his office, pointing at his workplace, when the CEO agrees to cameras in the boardroom - then I might go along with this crap.
That’s your opinion. Like the driver facing camera that sent down a driver because he wasn’t paying attention to the road and killed multiple people. Like i said, if you don’t like it being there then you must be doing something you’re not meant to 👍
iannichoJR

Post by iannichoJR »

RADPEEL wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:49 pm

That’s your opinion. Like the driver facing camera that sent down a driver because he wasn’t paying attention to the road and killed multiple people. Like i said, if you don’t like it being there then you must be doing something you’re not meant to 👍
Or the driver who was sacked because they saw him smoking on the footage - when they told him it was “for his safety only”.
iannichoJR

Post by iannichoJR »

No, no, bring it on, you’ve converted me.
I’ll be visiting every single services between Harwich & Glasgow, to do all the things I’m “not supposed to be doing” while driving.
I left primary school in 1976 mate. We kind of expect to be treated like adults where I work.
RADPEEL

Post by RADPEEL »

iannichoJR wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:50 pm

I’ll be visiting every single services between Harwich & Glasgow, to do all the things I’m “not supposed to be doing” while driving.
I left primary school in 1976 mate. We kind of expect to be treated like adults where I work.
I don’t have them in my truck but know of drivers who do and they don’t care. Some companies use them to spy on you and some companies use it for good purposes. Just got to pick the good from the bad
iannichoJR

Post by iannichoJR »

RADPEEL wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:50 pm

I don’t have them in my truck but know of drivers who do and they don’t care. Some companies use them to spy on you and some companies use it for good purposes. Just got to pick the good from the bad
I’m just wondering when it was that the Great British Trucker became so meek.
I’m guessing around the time Stobart drivers started grassing each other up for not wearing a green tie. New generation came through - too scared to say Boo to a goose.
RADPEEL

Post by RADPEEL »

iannichoJR wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:51 pm
RADPEEL wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:50 pm

I’m just wondering when it was that the Great British Trucker became so meek.
I’m guessing around the time Stobart drivers started grassing each other up for not wearing a green tie. New generation came through - too scared to say Boo to a goose.
They are few and far between but times are changing and unfortunately more and more people are becoming snowflakes
Timm.Classy

Post by Timm.Classy »

If I could have a screen in my cab, recording everything they do in the office, each individual desk that I could record at random, then I might consider a driver facing camera in my cab! ( On reflection, no chance! I would never entertain it)
benningoBIT

Post by benningoBIT »

Timm.Classy wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:53 pm If I could have a screen in my cab, recording everything they do in the office, each individual desk that I could record at random, then I might consider a driver facing camera in my cab! ( On reflection, no chance! I would never entertain it)
same they can ram them up their holes, simple !!
8vassierynx

Post by 8vassierynx »

Can’t see the problem if you’ve nothing to hide.
ROSS+Press

Post by ROSS+Press »

Perfectly legal , the same as CCTV in any workplace. Covering the camera is a disciplinary offence. They only record when the vehicle is switched on and most close down after the vehicle has been stationary for a few minutes. They will save you company a fortune on insurance premiums and could save you license and may be even your life after a collision/incident. If you're doing nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about!
iannPark33

Post by iannPark33 »

ROSS+Press wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:55 pm Perfectly legal , the same as CCTV in any workplace. Covering the camera is a disciplinary offence. They only record when the vehicle is switched on and most close down after the vehicle has been stationary for a few minutes. They will save you company a fortune on insurance premiums and could save you license and may be even your life after a collision/incident. If you're doing nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about!
please expand on how it could save your life after a collision? Does it become articulate and administer first aid?
ROSS+Press

Post by ROSS+Press »

iannPark33 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:56 pm
ROSS+Press wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:55 pm Perfectly legal , the same as CCTV in any workplace. Covering the camera is a disciplinary offence. They only record when the vehicle is switched on and most close down after the vehicle has been stationary for a few minutes. They will save you company a fortune on insurance premiums and could save you license and may be even your life after a collision/incident. If you're doing nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about!
please expand on how it could save your life after a collision? Does it become articulate and administer first aid?
if it is a live link system it records a sudden stop. it will notify your control/transport office. They will then check on the driver either by phone or through the camera system. If you are incapacitated they can send help.
iannPark33

Post by iannPark33 »

ROSS+Press wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:07 pm
if it is a live link system it records a sudden stop. it will notify your control/transport office. They will then check on the driver either by phone or through the camera system. If you are incapacitated they can send help.
surely trackers and systems such as Scania fleet do the same, without the invasion of privacy?
ROSS+Press

Post by ROSS+Press »

iannPark33 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:07 pm
ROSS+Press wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:07 pm

surely trackers and systems such as Scania fleet do the same, without the invasion of privacy?
some trackers will notify a sudden stop.. not everyone is unfortunate enough to drive a scania🤣
Companies have actually been taken to court to prove that as its in the workplace it's not classed as invasion of privacy. But there are restrictions to what a company can do with them and the footage
iannichoJR

Post by iannichoJR »

Hoylesizar_Pod

Post by Hoylesizar_Pod »

Not sure what your problem is I have one every night not caused me any issue but I drive with due care and attention only cowboys are scared of these things
09alinizoun

Post by 09alinizoun »

If you are doing nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about
COXuseddy

Post by COXuseddy »

I think it’s wrong …… absolutely no privacy at all
trukkerConn

Post by trukkerConn »

Your in a place of work but it must be able to turn off when ignition isn’t on, so it’s legal, if you’ve nothing to hide, what’s the problem
MANNIORCH03

Post by MANNIORCH03 »

trukkerConn wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:11 pm Your in a place of work but it must be able to turn off when ignition isn’t on, so it’s legal, if you’ve nothing to hide, what’s the problem
exactly
andosco.Rap

Post by andosco.Rap »

They've had em years I out a post up about this 2 years ago.
When the ignition is off its. Not filming aparantly..
But they do check it. Randomly. Throughout your shift so be careful I've know drivers. To. Be dismissed when they get back for answering a call..
Its dogs hit we all know it but this sorta thing is only going to get worse. I mends look at me here I am doing 50 in the middle lane and nothing had hap..... 💥💥💥
H.Heyyson

Post by H.Heyyson »

I have one, if your not doing anything wrong you be ok, carry on
PAUCINEXS

Post by PAUCINEXS »

It’s not really anything to do with ‘if you’re doing nothing wrong why worry’.
It’s a little to do with civil liberties and the gradual erosion of privacy. Smacks very much of ‘1984’ by George Orwell. Having been entrusted to do the job correctly for 50 years, from London to Tehran and all points on between, without company input for weeks at a time, why would a company feel the need to have such intimate control of an employees life. As per other comments concerning telematics and other forms of checking an employers performance it does nothing to encourage new employees into the industry. X
vinceRinse

Post by vinceRinse »

PAUCINEXS wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:29 am It’s not really anything to do with ‘if you’re doing nothing wrong why worry’.
It’s a little to do with civil liberties and the gradual erosion of privacy. Smacks very much of ‘1984’ by George Orwell. Having been entrusted to do the job correctly for 50 years, from London to Tehran and all points on between, without company input for weeks at a time, why would a company feel the need to have such intimate control of an employees life. As per other comments concerning telematics and other forms of checking an employers performance it does nothing to encourage new employees into the industry. X
a lot of the time now insurance companies are starting too ask for it and I would guessing they get a better deal on insurance rates
foxallen21

Post by foxallen21 »

Put tape over it, or a device playing a wagon journey.
Stepayer.Max

Post by Stepayer.Max »

Just crank one out every hour they will either get you help or stop giving you trucks with a camera 🤣
Roger_Badger

Post by Roger_Badger »

Stepayer.Max wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:34 am Just crank one out every hour they will either get you help or stop giving you trucks with a camera 🤣
if he does that he'll be out of "fuel" by the third hour 😃 😃
keevinBigg

Post by keevinBigg »

Got em in ours, over passenger door. For insurance purposes
kirboxin.69

Post by kirboxin.69 »

How much is the agency paying you to be there?
sales+simply

Post by sales+simply »

kirboxin.69 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:37 am How much is the agency paying you to be there?
if you don't want to do something you don't have to. It's not all about money. The agency wouldn't have paid if he refused to drive it. He can go and find a truck without a camera on him everyone happy.
kirboxin.69

Post by kirboxin.69 »

sales+simply wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:37 am
kirboxin.69 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:37 am How much is the agency paying you to be there?
if you don't want to do something you don't have to. It's not all about money. The agency wouldn't have paid if he refused to drive it. He can go and find a truck without a camera on him everyone happy.
I just wanted to know what the agy is paying at cullina mate
Stanis_Munde

Post by Stanis_Munde »

kirboxin.69 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:38 am
19£/h
kirboxin.69

Post by kirboxin.69 »

Stanis_Munde wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:41 am

19£/h
is good
kirboxin.69

Post by kirboxin.69 »

19£/h
And you complain?
Stanis_Munde

Post by Stanis_Munde »

kirboxin.69 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:42 am

19£/h
And you complain?
yes 😎
sales+simply

Post by sales+simply »

fair enough chap, from what I've been offered so far agency are behind
kirboxin.69

Post by kirboxin.69 »

sales+simply wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:43 am

how's that?
sales+simply

Post by sales+simply »

kirboxin.69 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:44 am

how's that?
well in felixstowe and stowmarket areas I was offered 12£ ish but from experience I tend to steer clear from agency now and not just the money..
kirboxin.69

Post by kirboxin.69 »

sales+simply wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:44 am

how's that?
well in felixstowe and stowmarket areas I was offered 12£ ish but from experience I tend to steer clear from agency now and not just the money..
12 ish is not great
sales+simply

Post by sales+simply »

sales+simply wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:44 am

how's that?
12 ish is not great
That was Arc 🤣 I was on 16ph there 4-5 years ago
Lebony.Xinn

Post by Lebony.Xinn »

Not a f..king chances I tell f...k off and walk
SAMOORS24

Post by SAMOORS24 »

Lebony.Xinn wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:46 am Not a f..king chances I tell f...k off and walk
why?
Lebony.Xinn

Post by Lebony.Xinn »

SAMOORS24 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:46 am
Lebony.Xinn wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:46 am Not a f..king chances I tell f...k off and walk
why?
I live in it week after week
SAMOORS24

Post by SAMOORS24 »

Lebony.Xinn wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:47 am
SAMOORS24 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:46 am
why?
I live in it week after week
but unless you are involved in an incident… it cannot be viewed. Its not cctv, that can just be watched, not like your office staff have anything better to do than watch you all day. So what's the issue?
bennyPENNI

Post by bennyPENNI »

We have them in our tractor unit.. but I'm sure we signed a conformation that it is only viewable with driver and member of management in the event of an incident.
35_rdsemmi

Post by 35_rdsemmi »

It’s only illegal if they scroll through for no reason it’s there so if an incident happens they can check what you where doing at the time so if you don’t do anything wrong nothing to worry about
Malcoin.Vod

Post by Malcoin.Vod »

35_rdsemmi wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:50 am It’s only illegal if they scroll through for no reason it’s there so if an incident happens they can check what you where doing at the time so if you don’t do anything wrong nothing to worry about
And you never do “nothing wrong”?
iannichoJR

Post by iannichoJR »

Malcoin.Vod wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:51 am
35_rdsemmi wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:50 am It’s only illegal if they scroll through for no reason it’s there so if an incident happens they can check what you where doing at the time so if you don’t do anything wrong nothing to worry about
of cause we don't we just like angels lol
Malcoin.Vod

Post by Malcoin.Vod »

iannichoJR wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:52 am
There was this one Angel, went a different way than all the others…
35_rdsemmi

Post by 35_rdsemmi »

Malcoin.Vod wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:52 am

I try to drive to high standards I may make mistakes as I’m only human and as my license is my living no I don’t do anything wrong on purpose why do you ignore the rules and road laws
Malcoin.Vod

Post by Malcoin.Vod »

35_rdsemmi wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:53 am
Malcoin.Vod wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:52 am

I try to drive to high standards I may make mistakes as I’m only human and as my license is my living no I don’t do anything wrong on purpose why do you ignore the rules and road laws
Still driving, on a clean license, after passing my test almost 40 years ago. So probably not doing that much wrong.
Just wondering when the Great British Trucker became such a corporate lamb.
Probably around the time Stobarts drivers started grassing each other up for not wearing a green tie.
GleachMoff

Post by GleachMoff »

but if you did do something wrong why would the company want evidence that's could go against them and leave their insurance liable for a claim
29.farrontrid

Post by 29.farrontrid »

It's in the contract where I work that they can install them. But we haven't got them yet
MARthinis

Post by MARthinis »

Their lorry, their choice to fit them
As is your choice whether or not to drive it
abramyxia.41

Post by abramyxia.41 »

No chance, never again…didn’t realize they came on with the ignition turned on, everyone seen me watching fake now 🚕 😨🤦‍♂️
VicomnettAsp

Post by VicomnettAsp »

If I wanted watching 24/7 I'd get a job I a office or shop I chose this profession because of the solidarity. I don't want someone watching my every move
robbHoop10

Post by robbHoop10 »

VicomnettAsp wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:00 am If I wanted watching 24/7 I'd get a job I a office or shop I chose this profession because of the solidarity. I don't want someone watching my every move
your office staff really don't have anything to do other than watch you drive around? I feel like the business may go under very soon if that's the case so you’ll need a new job anyway
AndreNight

Post by AndreNight »

All trucks should have them in this day age no worries
ChubzDot

Post by ChubzDot »

Got one in our work vans, they beep if not paying attention, warn you your speeding, and they take a photo every 2 mins, no sound recording, any harsh braking or stuff like that and they record, if you cover the cameras, they send an alert to head office,
‘Samsara camera’
I’ve covered the infrared with tape 😂
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (67.42 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
mattzPost

Post by mattzPost »

Stop being a f@cking fairy and get on with it, if you do your job properly you have nothing to worry about
DBCrossed

Post by DBCrossed »

Everyone has them after a day you forget they are there
Malcoin.Vod

Post by Malcoin.Vod »

DBCrossed wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:05 am Everyone has them after a day you forget they are there
Everyone doesn’t have them. You just made that up.
DBCrossed

Post by DBCrossed »

Malcoin.Vod wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:05 am
DBCrossed wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:05 am Everyone has them after a day you forget they are there
you just get used to they office have better things to do than look at your willy
Malcoin.Vod

Post by Malcoin.Vod »

DBCrossed wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:06 am
Malcoin.Vod wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:05 am
you just get used to they office have better things to do than look at your willy
Is that what they tell you?
What do you think they’re all giggling about, over there pointing at you?
That little tweezer finger & thumb thing they’re doing?
It isn’t what you think it is.
billxNarrative

Post by billxNarrative »

Unfortunately it's the norm these days, insurance will not insure unless they are fitted
Rich.Sublime

Post by Rich.Sublime »

Some of you would do well to know the difference between the law and company policy 🤦🏽‍♂️😒 there is no law that says in cab cameras are a legal requirement however it can be company policy to fit the camera if you disagree with driving a unit with a camera you can tell the company. Company policy does not over ride the law so since there is no law on in cab cameras there is no legal action against you that can be taken if you cover or refuse to drive it. It’s the simple folks.
rickercoLil

Post by rickercoLil »

Rich.Sublime wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:09 am Some of you would do well to know the difference between the law and company policy 🤦🏽‍♂️😒 there is no law that says in cab cameras are a legal requirement however it can be company policy to fit the camera if you disagree with driving a unit with a camera you can tell the company. Company policy does not over ride the law so since there is no law on in cab cameras there is no legal action against you that can be taken if you cover or refuse to drive it. It’s the simple folks.
Is there a law that says your employer cannot fit a camera to their own property?
Rich.Sublime

Post by Rich.Sublime »

rickercoLil wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:11 am
Rich.Sublime wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:09 am Some of you would do well to know the difference between the law and company policy 🤦🏽‍♂️😒 there is no law that says in cab cameras are a legal requirement however it can be company policy to fit the camera if you disagree with driving a unit with a camera you can tell the company. Company policy does not over ride the law so since there is no law on in cab cameras there is no legal action against you that can be taken if you cover or refuse to drive it. It’s the simple folks.
Is there a law that says your employer cannot fit a camera to their own property?
nope there isn’t
rickercoLil

Post by rickercoLil »

Rich.Sublime wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:11 am
nope there isn’t
Lots of industries have employee facing cameras. I wouldn't like it. Leave if you don't agree with it.
Rich.Sublime

Post by Rich.Sublime »

rickercoLil wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:12 am

nope there isn’t
Lots of industries have employee facing cameras. I wouldn't like it. Leave if you don't agree with it.
exactly but it’s not the law to have one fitted that’s all I’m saying
Rickerco

Post by Rickerco »

Rich.Sublime wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:12 am
rickercoLil wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:12 am

nope there isn’t
exactly but it’s not the law to have one fitted that’s all I’m saying
who said it was the law?

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”