Hi all, taken a bit of courage to write this but genuinely looking for some advice I am wanting to start my own,

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
AshravicePA

Hi all, taken a bit of courage to write this but genuinely looking for some advice I am wanting to start my own,

Post by AshravicePA »

Hi all, taken a bit of courage to write this but genuinely looking for some advice...
I am wanting to start my own haulage company from scratch. Of course, I know I will need to get my license and operating centre etc but I am debating whether to throw my entire life savings into this and think f**k it and go for it.
I’m ok with buying a unit & trailer etc. what I am nervous about massively is having no work or no idea where to look for it... that is literally the only thing holding me back.
Based North Yorkshire way
Thanks in advance 👌👌
warlow_Guy

Re: Hi all, taken a bit of courage to write this but genuinely looking for some advice I am wanting to start my own,

Post by warlow_Guy »

It's a long hard slog probably better off doing traction work first and see how you get on that way you only have the tractor to worry about but you won't make a fortune from it but you will get a living from it best of luck hope it goes well for you I'm retired now but done 40 years as an owner driver got a good life out of it but had to work hard for it
ionuterne35

Re: Hi all, taken a bit of courage to write this but genuinely looking for some advice I am wanting to start my own,

Post by ionuterne35 »

If you genuinely think is a good idea don’t waste your time asking strangers with no vision about it. Is all about connections, knowledge and hard work.. that’s the first step. No such thing as failure, you’ll have to slap your face 100’s of times until you’ll make it work.
Also, make decisions on your own and when support is needed require it from competent people.
You gotta believe in it, once you start there is no going back, good luck! 🚛
PAUCINEXS

Post by PAUCINEXS »

ionuterne35 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:18 pm If you genuinely think is a good idea don’t waste your time asking strangers with no vision about it. Is all about connections, knowledge and hard work.. that’s the first step. No such thing as failure, you’ll have to slap your face 100’s of times until you’ll make it work.
Also, make decisions on your own and when support is needed require it from competent people.
this is 💯 on the money. This isn't a game where you make it overnight. It's taken me many sleepless nights, stress and bullshit to get to where I am now.
Make the connections. I've never used CX or sdcn I've so much work in I'm booked to August. Always room for more. Invest in yourself and your business every year. Don't be afraid to refuse work if it seems too cheap as there will always be someone cheaper than you.
Market yourself and your business.
Get good route software or transport Manager, have a dedicated sat nav and use phone google maps as backup trust me on this point
Best of luck Op hope you make it big.
PAUCINEXS

Post by PAUCINEXS »

ionuterne35 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:18 pm If you genuinely think is a good idea don’t waste your time asking strangers with no vision about it. Is all about connections, knowledge and hard work.. that’s the first step. No such thing as failure, you’ll have to slap your face 100’s of times until you’ll make it work.
Be polite to co-drivers and your peers. Recently found myself in hard shoulder in Wales. Thankfully I've made some good contacts of similar drivers who I could delegate my workload to.
Rajack_Lynn

Post by Rajack_Lynn »

There has to be a start somewhere good luck mate 👍
DobreeWWJD

Post by DobreeWWJD »

If your not sure don't do it......any business venture should feel right. You got too back yourself or don't do it......
foxallen21

Post by foxallen21 »

Honestly don’t do it. Unless you have 2 million in the bank and want to have 1 million by the end of the year.
67_millsentz

Post by 67_millsentz »

Please, keep money in the pocket. Transport, its a pervers business.
Stepayer.Max

Post by Stepayer.Max »

As someone who started from nothing at 18, and have been in business all my life, I would say it’s not for you. There’s plenty of work out there, but it will be long hours and much would depend on how you can look after your truck and drive sensible, and avoid breakdowns. Given you have built up savings, and will stress if things go wrong, as they may well, then don’t put yourself through it. When I started out I had absolute self confidence and wouldn’t seek advice from anyone, and of course learned the hard way about looking after old trucks and keeping them on the road. Personally I think having surplus funds to begin with isn’t helpful, but self confidence and energy are, and you don’t sound like you have those things.
KATMidnight

Post by KATMidnight »

Do your self a favour go knock on doors first see what’s out there, personally I wouldn’t buy your unit or trailer until you’ve got solid foundation of work, people will try and sell you and tell you it’s the best and a month down the road it’s at the side of the road and going to take a lot of money to repair, avoid the “easy options” like your amazons and courier exchanges, your rates will be good to start then when they have you they will deflate the rates until your in their pockets and running for nothing, after you’ve established yourself then you can look at buying equipment and you’ll have a better feel for the industry as a whole and a owner driver, without having put your life’s savings at stake. Please don’t just go out and buy stuff Willy nilly always remember money in your bank is back up for the hard times. Stick to your price structure your not going to be a millionaire but done right you can make yourself a good living, but you’ve got to work at it. When you start take away any high probability of large bills coming in, hence rent first, good luck with your decision pal it’s very demanding and hard work blood sweat and at times tears but the benefits can out way all of it.
keevinBigg

Post by keevinBigg »

When I started I first established demand, made the contacts, found what their needs were, discovered the areas where they were not getting what they wanted from their current suppliers then filled that niche
only then was i ready
pickerixDr

Post by pickerixDr »

Just rent a truck & trailer. Minimal outlay and you can hand them back with no issues and your bank account still looks healthy.
Stanis_Munde

Post by Stanis_Munde »

You'll make a small fortune.....
But...... you'll spend a huge fortune getting there.
JurkieNIP

Post by JurkieNIP »

Rent a trailer and truck first and knock on some doors. Some companies are loyal but there a lot out there that are price driven at the minute.
bennyPENNI

Post by bennyPENNI »

You can look for work on haulage exchange or Amazon relay until you have your own customers, but at the moment the transport market is quiet/low and you will not make a lot of profit
scottPurple

Post by scottPurple »

Don’t waste your money. Transport is gone so slow. No work around. If you what to lose your money then you be mad. Just look at how many companies looking for work lol 😂
MARthinis

Post by MARthinis »

Assuming your driving a wagon already, when you make deliveries or to DC's ask about what work they have. It's a start, nobody on Facebook will drop a golden goose in your lap, however I'm sure you understand that. As someone else has said it certainly about connections to start with atleast.
Malcoin.Vod

Post by Malcoin.Vod »

"that is literally the only thing holding me back"
...and by far the most important and difficult aspect of the idea.
abramyxia.41

Post by abramyxia.41 »

No one will be willing to throw you any decent work all you will get is the shite they don’t want, you need to have a few set runs or companies that will use you x amount of times a week etc the easy bit is driving trucks the hard bit is finding the work
russe+Darth

Post by russe+Darth »

Rent first and get out in front of the invoices before you throw your savings at assets.
Cashflow is king, no point having a shiny new truck that you own and then run out of cash because some idiots can:'t or won't pay you on time
ChubzDot

Post by ChubzDot »

Not a good time to start as it is still quite
H.Hanllonpo

Post by H.Hanllonpo »

Follow what you think you will put your heart in to. Only advise i would give us don’t buy the assets. Finance them all for start up if possible
rickercoLil

Post by rickercoLil »

I've done that and still throwing money at it, stick with a small van
vadimer470

Post by vadimer470 »

See what's out there first decide what work you want to do ie general haulage, boxes, rdc, pallet work, traction only I started with one ended up with seven now retired
Thoman_Pin

Post by Thoman_Pin »

Okay? So congrats for wanting to go for it, (always half full kinda girl) so we did the same thing in April this year, longstory short, my hubby is a carpenter, bought a van, hes in remission from stage 4 cancer and the carpentry was killing his body, he would come home sore and in lots of pai , so he took the leap and went with the Courier Exchange, as his van is on finance, plus household Bill's to pay... I wont lie, we got our very first job on the 6th April and by the end of April we had learnt 6k... however what we were wrongly told was " oh you dont have to wait for your money, they all pay in 2-4 days"... utter bollocks... its 30 from the end of the month, so in reality, they have nearly 60 days to pay you, now some companies will pay you early, but the earliest we've had is 10 days. There sits of jobs that ping all day long... but you have a guide line of what to bid price wise, yet they always go for the cheapest bid, which can get quite unfair sometimes, the other thing to bare in mind is the amount you'll spend on fuel.. the exchange told us to have a fuel float of around 3-£500... this was way way out, we spend easy 2-2.5k in a month, so invest in good fuel cards, the best are UKfuels and Fuel Genie. But to get more work, it's about making connections, so social media, make contact t with your local big haulage firms let them know your there, also approach big businesses to do runs for them. Good luck, stay safe. 👍
przyncess22

Post by przyncess22 »

Thoman_Pin wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:40 pm Okay? So congrats for wanting to go for it, (always half full kinda girl) so we did the same thing in April this year, longstory short, my hubby is a carpenter, bought a van, hes in remission from stage 4 cancer and the carpentry was killing his body, he would come home sore and in lots of pai , so he took the leap and went with the Courier Exchange, as his van is on finance, plus household Bill's to pay... I wont lie, we got our very first job on the 6th April and by the end of April we had learnt 6k... however what we were wrongly told was " oh you dont have to wait for your money, they all pay in 2-4 days"... utter bollocks... its 30 from the end of the month, so in reality, they have nearly 60 days to pay you, now some companies will pay you early, but the earliest we've had is 10 days. There sits of jobs that ping all day long... but you have a guide line of what to bid price wise, yet they always go for the cheapest bid, which can get quite unfair sometimes, the other thing to bare in mind is the amount you'll spend on fuel.. the exchange told us to have a fuel float of around 3-£500... this was way way out, we spend easy 2-2.5k in a month, so invest in good fuel cards, the best are UKfuels and Fuel Genie. But to get more work, it's about making connections, so social media, make contact t with your local big haulage firms let them know your there, also approach big businesses to do runs for them. Good luck, stay safe. 👍
why didn't you use a credit card until such time you are up and running ...flexible payments for 1 and you don't have to pay the card every 2 weeks like some or most fuel companies and if you sign up for costco there fuel is cheaper again ...just saying..its what I did and worked well for me
Thoman_Pin

Post by Thoman_Pin »

przyncess22 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:41 pm
Thoman_Pin wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:40 pm Okay? So congrats for wanting to go for it, (always half full kinda girl) so we did the same thing in April this year, longstory short, my hubby is a carpenter, bought a van, hes in remission from stage 4 cancer and the carpentry was killing his body, he would come home sore and in lots of pai , so he took the leap and went with the Courier Exchange, as his van is on finance, plus household Bill's to pay... I wont lie, we got our very first job on the 6th April and by the end of April we had learnt 6k... however what we were wrongly told was " oh you dont have to wait for your money, they all pay in 2-4 days"... utter bollocks... its 30 from the end of the month, so in reality, they have nearly 60 days to pay you, now some companies will pay you early, but the earliest we've had is 10 days. There sits of jobs that ping all day long... but you have a guide line of what to bid price wise, yet they always go for the cheapest bid, which can get quite unfair sometimes, the other thing to bare in mind is the amount you'll spend on fuel.. the exchange told us to have a fuel float of around 3-£500... this was way way out, we spend easy 2-2.5k in a month, so invest in good fuel cards, the best are UKfuels and Fuel Genie. But to get more work, it's about making connections, so social media, make contact t with your local big haulage firms let them know your there, also approach big businesses to do runs for them. Good luck, stay safe. 👍
why didn't you use a credit card until such time you are up and running ...flexible payments for 1 and you don't have to pay the card every 2 weeks like some or most fuel companies and if you sign up for costco there fuel is cheaper again ...just saying..its what I did and worked well for me
we did that also
duncami.Dj

Post by duncami.Dj »

przyncess22 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:41 pm
we'll if Up and running means 60 day's payment and isn't enough savings until the first payment without any other income weekly credit card is Faster One Way to Bigger Debts I'm afraid Not option to get out of debt or helps the cash flow obviously because isn't Such think flexible payment options
BrendexSell

Post by BrendexSell »

I would absolutely not put my entire life savings into haulage especially if you have never been involved in the industry.
Gardhamet+TY

Post by Gardhamet+TY »

BrendexSell wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:42 pm I would absolutely not put my entire life savings into haulage especially if you have never been involved in the industry.
helluva risk buying a unit and trailer with no work 🙄
BrendexSell

Post by BrendexSell »

Gardhamet+TY wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:43 pm
BrendexSell wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:42 pm I would absolutely not put my entire life savings into haulage especially if you have never been involved in the industry.
helluva risk buying a unit and trailer with no work 🙄
absolutely
lewisside80

Post by lewisside80 »

Drop me a DM regarding work if interested. We could help around Yorkshire
PAUCINEXS

Post by PAUCINEXS »

Also winter can be quiet so put money away for when everyone is panicking in January. That's when I go on holidays.
priorGeneral

Post by priorGeneral »

We've been in this business for several years and this year is the worst since we started. You'd have to drive at very low rates to get off the road at all, but that doesn't make any sense at all. In my experience, when you've driven a lot of miles and your van breaks down, the cost of repair is very high. Do not forget about the dishonest companies that recently forget to pay. accounting fees, taxes, fuel, tires, services, etc. later it turns out at the end that you had to pay extra for this business. Compared to driving £1 / mile a few years ago, where fuel and everything else was cheaper, now CX can sell LWB loads at 50p/ mile, where it doesn't make sense because it will ruin your business. Also keep in mind the paid zones and penalties which are unavoidable. It's not easy for couriers these days.
mallone.post

Post by mallone.post »

This year has been one of the slowest starts we have known. January is always bad but this year January lasted until mid April. Its picked up now but it's been a hard slog.
I've had my own for 28 years. When it's good it's great but when it's bad its fucking awful. For the last 3years good has been a bit thin on the ground.
wolfeeno_36

Post by wolfeeno_36 »

By the sounds of it, you need a business plan.
Joneci+Fizz

Post by Joneci+Fizz »

Better keeping your money in the bank than buying a truck and trailer and looking for work in todays climate it is like going to the casino and spinning the roulette wheel
Sometime you will win but more chance you will lose sometimes it’s things that happen that are out your control you didn’t calculate for 1 major breakdown or 2 blow outs in a week can take its toll on your bank balance
What I can’t understand why be an owner driver when you can work for good companies in todays market get paid good money have no other expense coming out your wage other than your personal expenses not have the worry of all that goes with a owner operator but still enjoy the driving job
Been there done that got the t shirt but can tell you from experience that take a job first then thing about it after 2 years experience under your belt and listen and learn not everything that glitters is gold
rhunifac77

Post by rhunifac77 »

Have you thought about grain haulage with a tipper trailer? If you want some advice about getting TASCC assured give me a shout I run
https://onleyone.co.uk/
a business with TASCC quality management which is the paperwork but I’ll help you out for free if you’re just starting out.

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”