Is it worth having my own truck

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Freego

Is it worth having my own truck

Post by Freego »

If we pay £5000-6000 on transport for international imports to Uk, let’s say 40 times a year
40x6 = £240,000

How much would it cost in comparison for having our own truck ?

Import from Morocco, what would the costs be on the road, ferries, fuels, tolls and taxes etc ?

This is for one tractor unit and a trailer ?
Barryzi8

Re: Is it worth having my own truck

Post by Barryzi8 »

Just give me a minute pal I’ll price a 12 month international operation for you with zero information for free. I’ll be right back
stepip

Post by stepip »

I’ll work it all out for you just let me know where to send the invoice👍🏼
alanceit

Post by alanceit »

Personally, I wouldn’t, a new unit £150k, not sure on the trailer. Fuel, insurance, tyres, drivers wage. Operators licence.. then the hassle if the driver phones in sick, breakdowns, tax mot.. at least if you pay another haulage company, all the stressful stuff is on their neck..
ianhill

Post by ianhill »

No, just pass the import charges onto your customers, sorted for free, no charge, not like these lot!! 🤪
Colisman

Post by Colisman »

Honestly a one truck operation will need at least 2 drivers and a transport manager, £250k for unit and trailer or proportional leasing cost plus all the running costs, if you can save 10% over what your paying now, I would be surprised, most haulage companies work on a slim margin and work the assets harder than your going to.
Treave

Post by Treave »

Colisman wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:37 pm Honestly a one truck operation will need at least 2 drivers and a transport manager, £250k for unit and trailer or proportional leasing cost plus all the running costs, if you can save 10% over what your paying now, I would be surprised, most haulage companies work on a slim margin and work the assets harder than your going to.
250k buy a brand new scania and new trailer for less than 200k
Go Iveco n they are 90k get a mint trailer for 30k. Could have 2 for what your talking
Colisman

Post by Colisman »

Treave wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:52 pm
Colisman wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:37 pm Honestly a one truck operation will need at least 2 drivers and a transport manager, £250k for unit and trailer or proportional leasing cost plus all the running costs, if you can save 10% over what your paying now, I would be surprised, most haulage companies work on a slim margin and work the assets harder than your going to.
250k buy a brand new scania and new trailer for less than 200k
Go Iveco n they are 90k get a mint trailer for 30k. Could have 2 for what your talking
£140k for a Daf XG+ and 70-80 for a decent trailer, rounded for the sake of it.
Treave

Post by Treave »

Well if they are doing it and making a profit then yes.
But you will likely need a load both ways to make it pay.
Frankho

Post by Frankho »

Nah don’t even think about it. Industry is on its ass big time, never known it so bad in all my lifetime and no sign of it getting better either. If you’re fortunate enough not to have to run a truck consider yourself lucky and let the hauliers fight each other to offer you best price and you sit there and watch them go skint one after the other.
miketdt

Post by miketdt »

Based on the limited info answer no. Firstly 1 truck would not manage 40 trips per year so you would need at least 2. Secondly are you going to run down empty with the cost of Ferries , fuel, tolls, drivers wages and holiday pay, transport manager, insurance and tax just to start with so maybe 3 trucks drivers and trailers could manage 40 trips per year. Is it going to be profitable for 6k a trip answer no. Former owner driver been there got the T shirt. The only differences to when I ran 3 trucks was overdraft rates were 17% at the Bank. Sounds like cashflow is not your problem, enjoy watching someone else bust a gut to earn a wage.
Freego

Post by Freego »

Thanks for the info, will see what operational costs are involved with running the truck from Morocco, I know it’s cheaper to buy them in Europe and register it in Africa , in comparison to buying it in Africa.

Anyone ever exported trucks to Africa ? What’s second hand trucks like for reliability? 500k km ?

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”