Can I send my driver out in his bus from 7am until 11 am.put him on rest then let him drive back from 6 to around 9-30pm

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
tdonahue

Can I send my driver out in his bus from 7am until 11 am.put him on rest then let him drive back from 6 to around 9-30pm

Post by tdonahue »

Can I send my driver out in his bus from 7am until 11 am.put him on rest then let him drive back from 6 pm to around 9-30 pm??
Minato

Re: Can I send my driver out in his bus from 7am until 11 am.put him on rest then let him drive back from 6 to around 9-

Post by Minato »

If your driver parks up on return by 10pm then you’ll be fine. Within 15 hours 👍
yvan02

Re: Can I send my driver out in his bus from 7am until 11 am.put him on rest then let him drive back from 6 to around 9-

Post by yvan02 »

Has he used a reduced daily rest x 3 that week already?
michaelvlong

Post by michaelvlong »

yvan02 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:05 am Has he used a reduced daily rest x 3 that week already?
doesnt matter he is on rest from 11am -6pm so will get a continous 3hr break or more in so its classed as a split break day and not a reduced daily rest day
yvan02

Post by yvan02 »

michaelvlong wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:06 am doesnt matter he is on rest from 11am -6pm so will get a continous 3hr break or more in so its classed as a split break day and not a reduced daily rest day
as its a minibus I very much doubt it has suitable sleeping facilities so the would need a hotel or hostel for the split. Or the reduced.
michaelvlong

Post by michaelvlong »

yvan02 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:06 am as its a minibus I very much doubt it has suitable sleeping facilities so the would need a hotel or hostel for the split. Or the reduced.
u are wrong .. the rule of a bunk or couchette must be available for it to qualify as a break is only applicable to a ferry crossing or train journey .
This does not apply to a split break .u do not need acces to a bunk or such on a split break
yvan02

Post by yvan02 »

michaelvlong wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:07 am u are wrong .. the rule of a bunk or couchette must be available for it to qualify as a break is only applicable to a ferry crossing or train journey .
This does not apply to a split break .u do not need acces to a bunk or such on a split break
Alternatively, a driver can split a regular daily rest period into two periods. The first period must be at least 3 hours of uninterrupted rest and can be taken at any time during the day. The second must be at least 9 hours of uninterrupted rest, giving a total minimum rest of 12 hours. For example:
A driver may reduce their daily rest period to no less than 9 continuous hours, but this can be done no more than three times between any two weekly rest periods; no compensation for the reduction is required. A daily rest that is less than 11 hours but at least 9 hours long is called a reduced daily rest period.
Daily rest periods may be taken in a vehicle. However, it is expected that the vehicle has suitable sleeping facilities for each driver and the vehicle is stationary. Suitable sleeping facilities in a vehicle are considered to be a bunk or other type of bed which is primarily designed for sleeping on. If a vehicle has no suitable sleeping facilities then other arrangements should be made, for example, a hotel, hostel, guest or boarding house, chalet, static caravan or rental accommodation.
michaelvlong

Post by michaelvlong »

yvan02 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:08 am Alternatively, a driver can split a regular daily rest period into two periods. The first period must be at least 3 hours of uninterrupted rest and can be taken at any time during the day. The second must be at least 9 hours of uninterrupted rest, giving a total minimum rest of 12 hours. For example:
A driver may reduce their daily rest period to no less than 9 continuous hours, but this can be done no more than three times between any two weekly rest periods; no compensation for the reduction is required. A daily rest that is less than 11 hours but at least 9 hours long is called a reduced daily rest period.
Daily rest periods may be taken in a vehicle. However, it is expected that the vehicle has suitable sleeping facilities for each driver and the vehicle is stationary. Suitable sleeping facilities in a vehicle are considered to be a bunk or other type of bed which is primarily designed for sleeping on. If a vehicle has no suitable sleeping facilities then other arrangements should be made, for example, a hotel, hostel, guest or boarding house, chalet, static caravan or rental accommodation.
i know all that and i have been through it already with numerous inspectors and such in various countries .it is only applicable to as i said a ferry shunt but also on the 9hr part of any rest must have a bed etc .it does not apply to the 3hr part .but as i said i have clarified it with the rsa in ireland .the bag in germany and at roadside stops in belgium and holland and all said the same but as i said i can only tell you what ive investigated etc and as an individual its up to you as and what and how you apply urself im not forcing my opinion or info on anyone
And i am open to be corrected if it can be proven so .thanks and all the best
tdonahue

Post by tdonahue »

yvan02 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:05 am Has he used a reduced daily rest x 3 that week already?
no he only works a school contract.usually 2 hours morning and 2 hours in the afternoon
yvan02

Post by yvan02 »

tdonahue wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:09 am no he only works a school contract.usually 2 hours morning and 2 hours in the afternoon
When a daily rest is taken, this may be taken in a vehicle, as long as it has suitable sleeping facilities and is stationary. either for splitting or reducing daily rest.
twm49

Post by twm49 »

What is he doing between 11am & 6pm?
tdonahue

Post by tdonahue »

twm49 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:10 am What is he doing between 11am & 6pm?
waiting in a theme park to bring them back
michaelvlong

Post by michaelvlong »

Course u can once parked up by 10pm its a 15hr day but once he gets in an unbroken break of 3 hrs or more then throughout the shift its a split break day so doesnt count as a 15 hr day its classsd as normal day and just requires 9hrs daily rest from 10pm - 7am and hes good to go again
honestzed

Post by honestzed »

Yes, u can do this everyday of the week too by using the split daily rest rule
tdonahue

Post by tdonahue »

Jagoda wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:13 amUse P.O.A
what's p.o.a ??
holpa

Post by holpa »

Jagoda wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:13 amUse P.O.A
do you have a transport manager?
What sort of vehicle are we talking about?
Van or larger?
tdonahue

Post by tdonahue »

holpa wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:14 am do you have a transport manager?
What sort of vehicle are we talking about?
Van or larger?
A minibus
holpa

Post by holpa »

tdonahue wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:15 am A minibus
I am asking about the one he is meant to drive in the evening.
Is it a bus? More than 9 seats including the driver?
holpa

Post by holpa »

tdonahue wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:14 am what's p.o.a ??
but no offense, you not knowing what poa is, it is clear that you do not have the knowledge to be a decision maker.
Either hire someone or get a course.
But still...you should have a transport manager because I am assuming you have an O Licence
tdonahue

Post by tdonahue »

holpa wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:22 am but no offense, you not knowing what poa is, it is clear that you do not have the knowledge to be a decision maker.
Either hire someone or get a course.
But still...you should have a transport manager because I am assuming you have an O Licence

Poa won't matter.he won't be working until the people are ready to leave so it will just be rest.
I just wanted to check if it would be OK.
tdonahue

Post by tdonahue »

holpa wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:22 am I am asking about the one he is meant to drive in the evening.
Is it a bus? More than 9 seats including the driver?
a 16 seater
holpa

Post by holpa »

What makes you think you can't?
Why the doubt?
In which aspect you think you might be in the wrong?
Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

You don't say what he's done before or what he will be doing after. But based on what you have put that's a 14.5hr shift, so yes so long as he doesn't go over the 15 it's fine. To many trying to complicate the initial question.

Return to “Bus and coach companies | PSV fleet operators | General discussions”