I want to Down plate a VW Lt 45 mini bus down to below 3500kgs. It's going to be used as a van for limited business use.

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
rrichardson

I want to Down plate a VW Lt 45 mini bus down to below 3500kgs. It's going to be used as a van for limited business use.

Post by rrichardson »

Good evening,
I'd it as simple as getting it weighed and sending the documents through? I understand it may be Re tested by DVSA. I must send proof of the vehicle weight through to get the New Plate?
Many thanks
RMcGirr83

Re: I want to Down plate a VW Lt 45 mini bus down to below 3500kgs. It's going to be used as a van for limited business

Post by RMcGirr83 »

How much does it weigh now ?
There is a form you can download on line, you submit it with the fee and they give you a date at atf. I rather suspect it will be about 2700kg so with a 80kg allowance for the driver would only give you a load capacity of 720 kg. Not much

How many seats were you planning to remove ?
rrichardson

Re: I want to Down plate a VW Lt 45 mini bus down to below 3500kgs. It's going to be used as a van for limited business

Post by rrichardson »

RMcGirr83 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:13 am How much does it weigh now ?
There is a form you can download on line, you submit it with the fee and they give you a date at atf. I rather suspect it will be about 2700kg so with a 80kg allowance for the driver would only give you a load capacity of 720 kg. Not much

How many seats were you planning to remove ?
All of the rear seats. It was used for moving people in wheelchairs so there are only 3 pair in the rear. I will remove them, then get it weighed.
RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

rrichardson wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:14 am All of the rear seats. It was used for moving people in wheelchairs so there are only 3 pair in the rear. I will remove them, then get it weighed.
yes the weight may surprise you, let me know please

I know a guy who did a 4.5m Iveco van that was originally 4.5 tons he was only able to carry about 550kg, but that was fine as he was delivering foam mattresses so almost no weight at all.
yvan02

Post by yvan02 »

Passenger tail lift is a issue with weight. Might be a option to remove before Down rating 🤔
sonalanshika

Post by sonalanshika »

I'm not sure if it's the case at this weight, but they used to like to see some physical modification as part of the downplating, such as tyres or springs with a lower load rating. I think the logic is to make the vehicle recognisably different in some way to the original weight.

Return to “Bus and coach companies | PSV fleet operators | General discussions”