Is it possible to do a a monday -friday hgv( I have class 1&2) home every night job, with saturday as an optional extra

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Corphloc

Is it possible to do a a monday -friday hgv( I have class 1&2) home every night job, with saturday as an optional extra

Post by Corphloc »

So am I being delusional? Is it possible to do a a monday -friday hgv( I have class 1&2) home every night job, with saturday as an optional extra overtime? Earn a decent salary for less than 60hrs a week and not hav to set myself up as an offshore distribution agency based on Mars?
Heroad

Re: Is it possible to do a a monday -friday hgv( I have class 1&2) home every night job, with saturday as an optional ex

Post by Heroad »

Become a barrister/solicitor, according to the media their not on as much money as a driver but the hours are better
Fantasyri

Re: Is it possible to do a a monday -friday hgv( I have class 1&2) home every night job, with saturday as an optional ex

Post by Fantasyri »

I’m with Bibby/Menzies
Mon to Friday days. 50 hours basic and overtime at time and a half.
38k to 45k depending on how much overtime you want to do.
AimBlondie

Post by AimBlondie »

Fantasyri wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:29 am I’m with Bibby/Menzies
menzies just brought jbt and we instantly got a pay rise. Have menzies changed anything else at Bibby since they took over??
Fantasyri

Post by Fantasyri »

Fantasyri wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:29 am I’m with Bibby/Menzies
not yet. New liveried trucks and trailers starting to come through. Other than that I’ve not seen anything change.
Gutsylv

Post by Gutsylv »

I just do Monday to Thursday normally through an agency, don't have to do nights out although I do. Generally I work for the same company driving a class 2 or 7.5t at the same rate and it's a nice friendly firm. I could make more driving class 1 somewhere else or doing more hours but I'm happy doing what I'm doing.
BubbleBlog

Post by BubbleBlog »

I was going to jack driving in as the 60 hours a week killed me... get home eat go bed, look forward to having one day to myself (Sat) wake up Sunday dreading Mondays run...
Then I had a phone call of a firm, which worked out perfect. I do on average 45 hours per week 6am-1430pm Mon-Fri one week Mon-Sat next.. with the occasional 3am-14.30
Look back now on year ago, I feel incredible, I am getting paid more for doing less hours, have time for gym and everything else.
I know these are dream companies, but my advice would be to find a 4 on 4 off job, or work for an agency and max out 4 days then have 3 off, or find a firm like Tescos, DHL, XPO, HERMES, where the hours are set, and you can just work your contracted hours. I fine most general haulage companies will just squeeze as much as they can out of you... which is fair enough but life isn't always about money, if you have a mortgage that's all that matters.. just live comfortably.
My main moto now is work to live, not live to work.
LabsBurnt

Post by LabsBurnt »

Yeh, there's lots around if you look for it. I've been in the job 30 years working for various people and have never tramped, never worked weekends, haven't done nights out in the last 25 years, do under 60 hours a week and have always managed pretty decent money out of it. I'd say you'd be best starting with an agency and stipulate that you don't want nights out or tramping and you'll be fine. I did that and ended up at TNT for the best part of 14 years, home every night, work local enough to be back to be home for tea or 7pm ish, the money was quite good and after they took me on permanent I got a TNT pension. Nowadays I just work nights, since 2015, running to pallet hubs on agency for various companies. I run to places like Palletways, where I am this very minute, or Pallex. I start around 7pm and I will be home in the morning around 4 or 5 o'clock. I'll never do another day shift, I hate traffic.
BradelSky

Post by BradelSky »

Class 2 adr Mon-Fri home by half 4 everyday 42.5 hours a week
Riprn

Post by Riprn »

Class 2 14ph Monday to Fri guaranteed 40h pay job and knock home by 1300 every day in my case, 430 take home a week. Some people wouldn't get out of bed for it but it suits me down to the ground
Dramco

Post by Dramco »

It's better when you're older and paid your mortgage and car. I drive class 2 hiab . 30 hours and happy with the money.
MarcsEyes

Post by MarcsEyes »

Class 1.
Monday to Thursday.
4am to 7am starts - set start times per week so not much variation if owt between shifts.
19.5 per hour salaried at 9.5hr.
Owt over 9.5 is paid per hour.
Averaging 42hr a week.
Good jobs are there just gotta hunt about pal
ShinyGutsy

Post by ShinyGutsy »

I'm at DPD I've always worked Monday to Friday here. Home every night.
Toolson

Post by Toolson »

Yep. Sounds like my job working for a subby out of Tesco. 40 hours a week basic and Saturdays for my pocket money. Start 4am, home by 1300 (I commute 40 miles each way). Sometimes 1400 if traffic is crap but always home before my lad gets home from school. It's out there if you want it.
DotHoop

Post by DotHoop »

yes i did f or years if i workrd longer then 8 hours i got over time
Foursequ

Post by Foursequ »

I work Monday to Friday for a minimum guaranteed 9 hours, I frequently do less and occasionally do more, I get the same hourly flat rate on top if I do more, I take home £500 for my contracted 45 hours. I agree it’s not great money these days but it gets me by, I’m home every night, it’s a stress free job, and it works around my wife’s hours and child care between school and daycare..
lovedean

Post by lovedean »

Yes. However I find all of that plus more time at home is more achievable if you work nights. I’m not doing 9 or 11s it’s normally 13/14 hours off between. I’m always home in the day if the Mrs or kids need me. I earn very good money and there’s overtime if I need it. Personally it’s so easy achieving it all on nights
Dudeal

Post by Dudeal »

I was class 2 at Iceland 60 hours a week earning £750ish
KixLaw

Post by KixLaw »

Yes class 1 no nights out Saturday is overtime encouraged to do every other Saturday during the summer. 55 hours 60 with a Saturday.
SoRae

Post by SoRae »

Yes, I do 8-5, home every night. However depending what you think is good money may differ to mine
MarsHugz

Post by MarsHugz »

Sounds like my job our customer is a pain in the arse though, but once you learn to live with their stupidity and dealing with delivering to building sites... It's fine! Lol
Kinrd

Post by Kinrd »

I do class 2, about 450 week on general haulage. Start between 5 and 7am most days and finish most days by 4pm. Home every night and no weekends and get to sleep in my own bed every night. Some prefer 70hrs and 5 nights away each week, this suits me because of home commitments.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”