If canceled 2.5 hours before a shift should I be paid minimum 8 hours?

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Dholewexl

Post by Dholewexl »

Echodstu

Re: If canceled 2.5 hours before a shift should I be paid minimum 8 hours?

Post by Echodstu »

We all need to be wary of this.
Companies are getting as many drivers booked as possible.
Once their driver’s room is full they cancel the rest.
InloveTen

Post by InloveTen »

It may not be the client cancelling you !!!!!! Your agency sometimes gives you a phantom start time to appease you in case they need extras the next day!!!!! And then would change your start time accordingly!!!!! If no extras needed then the agency cancel you !!! Check with your client to see if that was the case !!!!! Agencies are getting very mischievous!!!!!
Epanaglet

Post by Epanaglet »

InloveTen wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:51 am It may not be the client cancelling you !!!!!! Your agency sometimes gives you a phantom start time to appease you in case they need extras the next day!!!!! And then would change your start time accordingly!!!!! If no extras needed then the agency cancel you !!! Check with your client to see if that was the case !!!!! Agencies are getting very mischievous!!!!!
in that case I’d tell them I’m going register with another agency and whoever phoned me first I’ll go with them
Exclusiverbot

Post by Exclusiverbot »

InloveTen wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:51 am It may not be the client cancelling you !!!!!! Your agency sometimes gives you a phantom start time to appease you in case they need extras the next day!!!!! And then would change your start time accordingly!!!!! If no extras needed then the agency cancel you !!! Check with your client to see if that was the case !!!!! Agencies are getting very mischievous!!!!!
and that’s what makes agencies that are credible, harder to be trusted. It annoys the shit out of me hearing this stuff goes on! The worst of it is, I encourage my guys to register with other agencies to assure them of work if I can’t provide it!
FrogGurly

Post by FrogGurly »

If we have to cancel the shift from the client and it is with less than 12hours notice, we still invoice the client and pay the driver as it is only fair.
We charge the client as we say it isn’t right to withhold other jobs from you if they new you would off been cancelled.
Maybe worth ringing client up direct and ask them if agency still getting paid (as most will be) and then take it up with agency
Which agency was it? As most will still charge
GinoLead

Post by GinoLead »

When I used to work for the cowboy outfit ADR Network and when they first took over as main vendor at Morrison’s they would block book 35 drivers and give them all start times then two hours before we were due to start night shift they would block cancel up to 10 drivers. I’d been offered work from other agencies all throughout the day but turned them down as I was under the impression I was pre booked. Got my own back in the end because I waited until they got really busy, took their bookings, then cancelled them, twice as many times as they had stitched me up! They soon got the message!
JinKaven

Post by JinKaven »

As far as I'm concerned yes, but it might be down to your agency.. as in, client might of cancelled you some time beforehand but fact is you could of worked elsewhere, so once booked, you should be paid
GreeTastic

Post by GreeTastic »

They are paying over the odds for drivers at the moment. If they can get away with finding a way to get the job done cheaper they will. Joys of agency work. Personally I would rather take less coin and have a decent full time job.
Koolinne

Post by Koolinne »

Depends which agency. I got cancelled tonight a hour before I was supposed to start and agency told me I'll be getting 8 hours
Linkleta

Post by Linkleta »

When I worked at arrow xl they used to cancel me on arrival and pay me £60.
I soon learnt they booked 2 extra drivers every day. So would turn up 5 minutes late. Get sent home and start with another agency at 6:15. Then I had to quit when they asked me to stay.
Padderid

Post by Padderid »

The country can't afford to have you at home twiddling your thumbs there is loads want moving around everywhere I suggest you find another agency!
Mediation

Post by Mediation »

Depends on the terms you signed with the agency/employer.
Some say they can cancel up to 1 minute before with no pay, some say if it’s cancelled within 1 hour of start time then you still get 4-8 hours.
Some say you don’t get paid unless you turn up and then get cancelled.
bigmo

Post by bigmo »

When I worked agency I had a deal that worked both ways. More than 4 hours notice no pay. Less than 4 hours notice 4 hours pay as long as not on site. On site 8 hours pay. I played the game they cancel on me. I’d cancel on them the next day. We soon had a mutual understanding and it worked for many years
Royaldigi

Post by Royaldigi »

Rofl they obviously don't want/need drivers.. There's plenty of others about.. You will be working Monday they will still be trying to fill your position next month..
Spotekko

Post by Spotekko »

Ask your agency but i had same thing but i actually turned up to my shift and they sent me home but i still got paid for it
Landaritz

Post by Landaritz »

The problem with agencies is they treat you nice when they need you, as soon as they don’t you’ll be dropped like a sack of spuds. They basically use you. The industry would be so much better without agencies. But I guess some people have no problem being used.
SurrealSlayer

Post by SurrealSlayer »

No. You won’t get paid unless you turn up to site & the client themselves turns you away.
This is the gamble with Agencies. Pay more = More risk.
Dholewexl

Post by Dholewexl »

Will be going to the papers with this also if it’s not paid.
Was canceled within 10
Hours and then 2.5 hours the same week so lost two days pay
Downsmus

Post by Downsmus »

Never work for agencies again.....got a good deal from my firm ....who don't employ agency drivers... get great over time ...yeah do put hours in like we all do ,respect to you all ,but maybe I've not been handed it on a plate but yeah, there is a £1000 a week club it does exist I'm more 1200 ,1300 but I don't do nights out ...every other Saturday ...I'm happy n lucky with what i've got. Including my own unit earn it why you can my policy
Announcerla

Post by Announcerla »

I always got 8 hours if I was cancelled up to 5 hours before my shift started... As a fully compliant ltd it was in my turms and conditions that the agency got and agreed to before I worked for them....

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”