Class 2 drivers deserve far more recognition. I've never understood why super trucker £1k a week drivers look down on

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Edicleig

Class 2 drivers deserve far more recognition. I've never understood why super trucker £1k a week drivers look down on

Post by Edicleig »

Class 2 drivers deserve far more recognition. I've never understood why super trucker £1k a week drivers look down on them. It's a much tougher job, apart from reversing it's harder to drive due to the locations you need to go to, you have to do loads of drops a day, you need to deal with multiple customers and members of the public. All in all Class 2 is far tougher than Class 1 and in reality should be paid at least £1.50ph more.
Last edited by Edicleig on Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neowta

Re: Class 2 drivers deserve far more recognition. I've never understood why super trucker £1k a week drivers look down o

Post by Neowta »

I take it the op is doing multi drop and being run ragged every day of the week. Drivers should never be pressured like they are on multi drop. Maybe if planners could actually do a days driving then they would realise how bad things can be on the road... and multi drop parcel/van delivery should be outlawed. How can drivers be safe on the road doing 14/16 hours a day every day and up to 80/100 deliveries in that day. These big dispatch companies need a serious looking at !
FelineAdvice

Re: Class 2 drivers deserve far more recognition. I've never understood why super trucker £1k a week drivers look down o

Post by FelineAdvice »

We av class 2 drivers at our place at Xmas wen boss buys meal they av to sit separately than us class 1 lads we class 1 for a reason 2 under us so we deserve more respect
Flavoredexpr

Post by Flavoredexpr »

I do multi drop in a class 1? We do the same the fact of the matter we take longer to get unloaded…: or when we’ve got to tip our selfs. Come do the job on the big boys then realise there not toys
Goobleso

Post by Goobleso »

I agree but not all class 2 work is multi drop work. There are a plethora of different class 2 jobs out there.
I don’t think one is tough then the other class 2 has its drawbacks just like class 1 does. Swings and roundabouts.
BabixzWire

Post by BabixzWire »

If you're comparing Class 2 multi drop to Class 1 trunking/full load work then I'd agree. I've done Class 2 multi, handballing loads off, dragging pallets off tail lifts etc and humping products onto sites, you name it. However, I've also done Class 1 groupage work here and abroad and if you're comparing that, then no, Class 1 is harder and should be paid more. Trust me, if you've ever f*cked up somewhere like Italy, missing a turn or worse, it's much harder in an artic and more stressful!
Groupst

Post by Groupst »

Defo harder work but reversing a Artic is 10 times easier than a rigid mate…1 port run or a drop and swop on the way is enough for me I ll leave the multi drop to you young lads
Horsentex

Post by Horsentex »

We get multiple drops and nasty places in class 1 aswell. If you want the extra pay take your class 1 licence and join the proper truckers
Jaupti

Post by Jaupti »

So going by your theory,
Class 2 more money then 1.
7.5t more money then class 2.
Luton van more money then 7.5t
Transit more money than Luton van.
My car more money then a transit?
The bigger the motor the bigger responsibilities, yeah class 2 run their nuts off all day but that’s your choice, I’m currently sitting on a bay with my feet up, who’s the mug here?
Bucksha

Post by Bucksha »

I have always wonder why football players get as much as they do for kicking a leather bag full of wind about they should get £500.00 a week
Mindfiera

Post by Mindfiera »

So if you owned your own business you’d pay more for wagons that are smaller n deliver less than wagons that are bigger n deliver more stock think from a business point of view n not a driving one
Edicleig

Post by Edicleig »

Mindfiera wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:12 pm So if you owned your own business you’d pay more for wagons that are smaller n deliver less than wagons that are bigger n deliver more stock think from a business point of view n not a driving one
that's not the point though is it? I also dispute it. Class 2 drivers load up multiple times and deliver. Class 1 drivers think that 2 drops a day is multi drop
Mindfiera

Post by Mindfiera »

Mindfiera wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:12 pm So if you owned your own business you’d pay more for wagons that are smaller n deliver less than wagons that are bigger n deliver more stock think from a business point of view n not a driving one
I understand what you’re saying but from a business point of view a business isn’t going to pay more for less volume delivered. Do your class 1 if you think it’s an easier job n as a bonus you get paid more for less work.
Edicleig

Post by Edicleig »

I think the average Class 2 worker will deliver as much as a Class 1 each day in fairness
Mindfiera

Post by Mindfiera »

not at my place of employment. 2 single runs but they’re putting class 2 drivers through their class 1 license. I honestly know where you’re coming from though. Some of my mates drive class 2 multi drops n I wouldn’t do it for a golf pig. Opportunities are endless for drivers now. Do your class 1 n have an easier life n get paid more. Less stress chasing time all day then.
Nanrn

Post by Nanrn »

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the op BUT, from a business point of view you're not getting an artic into some of the places that you can a rigid so from that angle there's clearly a need for it, most rigids can take the same type of cargo that an artic can all be it less of it but get into places they can't, if I ran a haulage company I'd suspect I'd need both classes of wagon
Ionds

Post by Ionds »

The responsibility comes with the extra weight you are with class 1 and I've done multidrop around city centres so wind your neck in.
Noggiso

Post by Noggiso »

Have seen some of the place we are sent …… !!!!! We are leper’s to some circles in society !!!!!!
NotesCrayon

Post by NotesCrayon »

Completely agree. Doing 2 now and 1 was far easier although many are paid more had some
Percele

Post by Percele »

So the fella posts this and doesn’t reply to any comments? There’s a name for people like him!!!!!
Edicleig

Post by Edicleig »

Percele wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:24 pm So the fella posts this and doesn’t reply to any comments? There’s a name for people like him!!!!!
I think if you scroll back you'll see I have. Give me time ffs.
Percele

Post by Percele »

Percele wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:24 pm So the fella posts this and doesn’t reply to any comments? There’s a name for people like him!!!!!
do you not think that class 1 drivers do multi drop/collection work, deal with multiple idiots each day too? What about the ones who spend nights away, which I believe more class 1 drivers do the class 2? It’s a tough career which we have chosen but it is exactly that…..a choice.
Rifice

Post by Rifice »

There are obviously exceptions but of course it's a harder job. Class 1 get paid more because they carry more valuable loads, not because they're super-skilled.
It would take a pretty unreal Class 1 gig for me to give up my Class 2 job, home every day to collect my daughter from school, working 7 days in every 14. Not the easiest job I've had but perfect for me right now. Probably get paid as much as a good chunk of the blokes on here sleeping in their cab a few nights a week. No ta.
Valeys

Post by Valeys »

Because 44t truck makes more money anyone with a brain knows that . And anyone with brain would go for easier and better paid job instead of crying about on Facebook how other jobs are easier
Worldti

Post by Worldti »

I used to do class 2 multidrop and I go to just as tight places in an artic as I did back then. Plus I was home every night. Class 1 work ain’t just DC to DC and you’re deluded if you think it is. I don’t look down on class 2 drivers but if you think what you do is that hard then trust me, you’d shit a brick when faced with some of the places some of us have to put an artic
Yellowwo

Post by Yellowwo »

I personally don't think that I'm any better on the other hand you have a shitty job so if you want it easier upgrade your license and stop moaning.
FlashyKing

Post by FlashyKing »

Remember most of us older class 1 have done the class 2 work and now easing into retirement. Never look down on anyone unless helping them up .

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”